Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up: I want one!

Communities > Forums > Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up
bookmark
Forum: Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand UpReplies: 6, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
5:10 AM

Post #4309389

Your timing is amazing, Tina--we were just discussing these in the DG chatroom three hours ago! I was concerned about getting one because the windowsills are a bit chilly in the winter, but hey, if they like it that way...

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #4309675

So do I! We were in Walmart last week, looking at the three they had. They were sadly neglected. So, we didnot get them. Have always admired the beautiful blooms, buy thought they were too fussy. Glad to see this article.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #4311094

My first "cactus" was a small piece that I acquired from a lady in my garden club. It is rather large now and must be a Thanksgiving cactus because it bloomed beautifully this year at Thanksgiving. I keep it outdoors in summer in the shade and it starts to set buds before I bring it indoors. I don't mean for it to that is just the way it seems to happen. I've been coveting the red one which I'm hoping will be a Christmas one, I bought a small pot today at my local grocery. Hope I can remember the paper bag trick for next year. I also plan to put the "youngun" outside next summer if it lives.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #4311447

OK, what is the paper bag trick?
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4311985

jsxtiger, I was referring to the article and when I tried to get it open again I couldn't. Since I could not do that I think it means to cover the cactus with a paper bag to keep it from budding too soon. Anyway that is what I am going to try. Like iI say if I can remember to do it next fall.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #4311992

Yep, I remember she said it has to have a certain number of hours of darkness per night in order to bloom, sorta like a poinsettia.
dvcmck
white oak, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #4775944

THE EASIEST WAY TO GET CHRISTMAS AND THANKSGIVING CACTI TO BLOOM IS TO PLACE THEM OUT FOR THE SUMMER ON A SHADY PORCH OR UNDER A TREE UPON A BENCH SO AS NOT TO INVITE SLUGS OR ANY OTHER INSECTS. THE COOL OF FALL AND THE SHORT DAYS WILL INITIATE BUD FORMATION. BE SURE TO BRING IN BEFORE FROST. IF LIVING IN AN APT TRY THE PAPER BAG METHOD. THESE PLANTS RESPOND TO EITHER SHORT DAYS OR COOLNESS OR BOTH TOGETHER!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank so much doccat5 1 Dec 19, 2007 2:49 PM
Great article roadrunner 6 Apr 8, 2008 3:06 PM
Cool temps also will cause budding tommyr2006 9 May 4, 2011 6:24 PM
I have one older DaBenDan 3 Dec 9, 2011 7:17 AM
Grans Plant WeeDave 2 Nov 29, 2010 3:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America