Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Chestnuts, Conkers, and Buckeyes: Nicely written

Communities > Forums > Article: Chestnuts, Conkers, and Buckeyes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Chestnuts, Conkers, and BuckeyesReplies: 13, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2007
11:52 AM

Post #4309725

Good information, Gloria. Did you run across any recipes for Maronencremesuppe (creamed chestnut soup)? Mmmmm.

I can't vouch for any hard and fast rules, but in the battle of the sexes while growing up in central KY, my big sister didn't recognize any sense of separation. Despite having nine brothers, she held her own with any indigenous weaponry and buckeyes were often a favorite.

I have the lumps to prove it.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 19, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #4309874

Good morning VV! Do you have the recipe? I was the only girl amongst 5 brothers growing up in northern Michigan and I still have the lumps to prove it.

Boy, am I glad we didn't have conkers/buckeyes in our woods. I don't know why they weren't there, because horse chestnuts do grow in that area - as shown by the stand of blooming chestnuts in the picture at the bottom of the page. These are growing along the roadside not too far from our woods at home.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #4310016

Timely article with great information, Gloria! Thanks. In Queens, we would occasionally stumble upon one of the aforementioned trees and it would trigger a battle. We had some bruises, but luckily no major injuries!

I looked forward every year to the aroma of roasting chestnuts in Manhattan. Would not be the same without it.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
2:36 PM

Post #4310101

Wonderful - my grandpa came over from Wales as a young boy and grew up not far from where he landed on Ellis Island - I still remember the shiny chestnuts he always had in his pocket. Thank you for that memory :)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #4310338

A very beautifully written and full of information article...I still have some buckeyes stashed away in a memory box from many years ago.

I enjoyed reading your article. Thank you.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 19, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #4310557

I have just received this information about the chestnut project at SUNY-ESF from former dg member, LuckyP.

http://www.esf.edu/chestnut/
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 19, 2007
7:47 PM

Post #4310970

Gloria, thanks for an interesting article. I have never had a "roasted chestnut", nor do I ever remember seeing the tree. Protected life I spose. At least now I know a little more about them, I sit here saying "so that's a buckeye! Your article taught me many things this morning!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Shari
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 19, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #4311052

Islandshari: You are not likely to see a chestnut tree or have chestnuts to roast in the Marshall Islands. Its kind of like snowballs in Alabama. Not likely. If I had a buckeye I would send you one. For luck.

Thanks for your comments.

gloria
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
3:49 AM

Post #4312360

What a fun article! I never heard of such games--good thing we didn't have buckeyes in my old neighborhood, when I was a kid. LOL Our woods here are filled with them. They're pretty--too bad they're not edible for us. Squirrels love 'em, though.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 20, 2007
10:40 AM

Post #4312754

Hey Ky Woods: Im glad you enjoyed my article! I learned a lot myself doing the research for it. I learned that you can also make necklaces out of the buckeyes as well as just carry them in your pocket if you had one.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #4314757

Really? Never thought of that. Hmm, I bet one polished one as a pendant on a chain might actually be pretty...thanks, Gloria!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 21, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #4314802

Send us a photo if you decide to make one, KyWoods.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #4314845

...or even two or three with interesting beads between them. Yep, I can picture that! If I can find any that the critters haven't eaten, I may just try it. Thanks for the inspiration!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 21, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #4317556

http://www.luckymojo.com/buckeyes.html

Here's more on buckeyes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Chestnuts, Conkers, and Buckeyes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article doccat5 1 Dec 19, 2007 3:08 PM
Great Timing :) lcosden 2 Dec 19, 2007 10:30 PM
Excellent article lortay 3 Jan 27, 2011 8:17 AM
new information to me! steadycam3 1 Dec 15, 2012 8:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America