Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up: Cool temps also will cause budding

Communities > Forums > Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up
bookmark
Forum: Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand UpReplies: 9, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 20, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #4311644

I leave mine outside in the fall under a roofed back patio. The cool fall temps set buds without fail. No extra work is required. Once the buds fatten up (before it gets TOO cold!) I move them inside. Very little if any bud blast/drop.

Good article!

Tom
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #4326504

I do the same, and it blooms without fail, year after year. I've read where they require total darkness for several hours a day, but I've never done this - and yet it blooms. I credit the cooling down factor. And once those nice plump buds show up, I bring it in and put it where it will stay during its blooming cycle.

Thanks for the interesting and informative article.
dvcmck
white oak, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4330051

I have two true xmas cacti - one with longer, wider leaf segments than the other and several thanksgiving cacti in different colors. the true xmas cactus is difficult if not imposssible to find commercially. It has become a "pass along" plant. I too leave mine out on a shady porch until frost threatens and the cool fall temps do the trick every year in making the plants set buds galore.

This message was edited Dec 26, 2007 8:51 PM
tmbolin
crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #4331642

I agree with the hard to find thing. I've been trying to get a different color buckleyii forever.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #8235454

Ours are all indoor plants. We begin a night time heat set back of ten degrees to sixty degrees as the weather cools down in early fall. This sets our buds. This is about ten degrees night time cooling down warmer that if left outdoors for forty five to fifty nighttime temperatures to set buds. We get somewhat fewer buds but always a nice show. My chipmunks chew the CC if I leave them outside in dry weather or cooler fall weather. This leaves the low crawling sedium as the only choice for a winter green. . The mice and chipmunks chew and relocate the sedium instead of just eating the CC. The CC would not stand our cold winters.
kimberlyfawn
Gerrardstown, WV

November 29, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #8235545

I've joked for years that mine is a Thanksgiving cactus so it's fun to find out it's true. Mine are indoors only and in front of giant SE facing windows & full sun and no heat setting changes. They still bloom spectacularly about 3 times per year.
Melynda
Pickerington, OH

November 29, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #8235578

I too have the real Christmas cactus. It was my grandmother's originally so it is quite old. If anything breaks off I root it in water and give it away, so there are offspring in many places. The original one sits in a corner all year and blooms without anything additional being done except watering and occasional fertilizing with worm juice. A decendant is in the bathroom in a hanging basket it shares with an Easter cactus and gets a lot of sun, but also blooms.
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #8242751

My zygocactus is a Thanksgiving cactus.

I switched from the very dilute "Jerry Baker" formulas to some Osmocote, (only spread on the surface) & this thing has bloomed three times in nine months and has increased in size by 50%.

Of course it accidentally got the primo environment to live in;
Bright indirect light

Watered with 50% tap water/rain water & 50% distilled water only when the Dracina starts too wilt.

It regularly goes down into the low 60's overnight inside the house at any time of the year and never gets above 66 F during the winter unless friends come over. I work outside so I like to ride the seasons.

During the Summer the blinds are closed during the day, (South facing) and open at night along with the windows. During the Winter if it is going to be sunny then the blinds are open to help heat the house. The skylights & windows never directly shine on the kitchen bar top portion of the counter so life is good.

Looking for all those zygo's you haven't been able to find? Try this link! http://hirts-gardens.amazonwebstore.com/search.htm?keyword=zygocactus

Come June I am going to be ordering a lot of the different colors for the bar top portion of the kitchen!

Sonny

This message was edited Dec 3, 2010 4:39 PM
tmbolin
crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8535517

If anyone happens to have extra Christmas starts I would truely love one. My daughters cat finished my old off:(
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8540289

Can anyone recomend a soil mix for zygocactus that I can make at home? I am going to buy a bunch of thanksgiving cactus and want to get them of to a good start as well as dividing and repotting my ancient one.

Sonny

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I want one! KyWoods 6 Apr 8, 2008 3:11 PM
Thank so much doccat5 1 Dec 19, 2007 2:49 PM
Great article roadrunner 6 Apr 8, 2008 3:06 PM
I have one older DaBenDan 3 Dec 9, 2011 7:17 AM
Grans Plant WeeDave 2 Nov 29, 2010 3:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America