Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: Ma Vie's Brined Fresh Pork Leg

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 21, Views: 323
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #4312292

Brine Solution
1 c. granulated white sugar
1 c. sea salt
12 pcs. juniper berries
12 pcs. cloves
3 bay leaves
1 whole garlic cut across the globe
1-1/2 gal. water

Place 1/2 gal. water inside a clean bucket.
Add sugar and salt. Stir with wooden spoon untill both salt and sugar completely dissolve.
Add the rest of the ingredients and water. Stir well.
Add the leg of Pork in the brine. [A whole leg of pork should be brined for 48 to 72 hours].
Be sure to place something heavy on top of pork or it will stay floating. It need to be at the bottom of bucket to absorb the brine solution.
This pork leg was brined for 3 days.

one 8 -1/2 fresh leg of pork, ordinarily called Pork Ham cut. for roasting.

Roast Pork:
Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
Take pork out of the brine. wash thoroughly 3 times.
Pat dry with clean cotton towel.
Massage olive oil on pork skin to prevent from drying.

Place roasting rack and pan in the oven.
Place pork leg on roasting rack, meaty part next to rack.
Pour 1 cup hot water. [prevent oil from burning and smoke in the kitchen]
Roast for 1 hour.

Reduce heat to 350 degree F.
Turn roast, skin next to the rack. meaty part exposed to the heat.
Roast for 1 hour. Add more hot water to the pan if needed to prevent smoke.

Increase oven temp to 400 degree F.
Turn roast with the skin up. roast for 30 mins.
After 30 mins., watch closely to prevent burning the skin. cook another 15 mins.

Take roast from oven. allow to "sit" for 15 mins. before slicing.
internal temperature of roast pork is 180 deg. F, juices are clear.

another project done, but more test needed to achieve a much better product.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #4313183

Wow that looks really good!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #4313691

Congratulations on your success! That looks delicious.
TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2007
6:22 PM

Post #4313778

You missed something, Ma Vie. My fork! hehehe

It looks fabulous! *smiles*
Donna
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #4313923

thanks EveryOne! just like the turkey, it is very savory, very tender and moist! nice on a sandwich, taco or alone by itself. i am sure, there are other uses too. no sauce needed either. no fork needed, it pull apart so easy. i am sure u will love it too, once u try it.

it is good as it is. knowing me, i will keep on testing like the turkey until i am satisfied. i will keep Y'All posted. next test on the brined pork, i will use allspice, instead of juniper berries. i wonder what the result will be? we well see till then. at least i figured allspice is easily accessible.

btw... do not throw the junipers and cloves, try experiment on planting it, one never know what comes. almost all the herbs and spices from the turkey brine became new plants in my herb garden.

i love brining, it is so much fun both in the kitchen and the garden :).
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #4313957

Beautiful roast. I can almost taste it! I think we may be brining a pork roast with our turkey this year rather than a traditional ham.
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

December 21, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #4317381

MaVie my DH went whip when I showed him the recipe. He can hardly wait to have it - thank you. I think I will try the allspice instead of the juniper berries as I can't seem to be able to locate the berries anywhere close to me.
Dianne
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #4317785

Dianne, if there is a Latino or Asian store nearby, they should have the allspice. a small pkg should cost about 89 cents per pack. allspice is known in Spanish as paminton.

here in Calif., all the groceries have an area alloted for Mexican or Latino herb and spice, i hope where u are, they also have those space available, check it out.

the regular aisle for herb and spices in any store have expensive ones. try look around, am sure u will find them. why spend the extra money when u can get by with other spice that are reasonably priced.

if there is a Trader's Joe in ur area, they have all kinds of spices from all over the world. my son told me that is where he bought the Juniper berries. if Traders Joe have juniper berries, i am sure they have allspice.

for those not familiar with these spices. allspice is like an enlarge black pepper in color and shape. whereas juniper berries is like an allspice, the difference is the color. instead of the black color of allspice, juniper berries are bluish in color.

if u've made the turkey recipe, remember the salt and sugar is neither salty nor sweet. it is the same with the brined pork. the juniper berries is not also distinguished in the flavor. all the ingredients used blend together to add an extra ump on the pork.

my familiarity with some spices, push come to shove, use black peppers instead. use whole, do not crack the pepper. since i have not tried it myself, maybe 1 or 2 tbsp. of black pepper should do it. i do not know, it is just a shot in the air. u got nothing to loose.Y'All can test this recipe to please ur own taste buds. geez, i had the time element to test myself with all the different spices. if anyone is brave enough to take the challenge of testing spice influence on the brined pork, do let us know.

now u know why i would like to test the brined pork further, to allow spice availability more convenient to everyone. there are so many test that need to be done yet.

FYI... after a day of making this recipe, the pork skin is still very crunchy. the only reason why i can say that is... there is no one here to fight over the skin. in the old days, all the members of my family fight over those crunchy skin.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

December 24, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #4323335

Question - When do this for three days, is it in the fridge the entire time?
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #4323987

at the time, i did the brining, it was cold in my area. nighttime temp was in lowest 20's, the brine did not need refrigeration in the patio. lately the arctic cold weather from the north has stricken in my neck of the wood.

be safe, if the area where u live is warm, refrigerate or use an ice chest filled with ice to avoid unhealthy consequences. clean and safe environment is my main concern in food preparation.

good luck and Happy Holidays.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 26, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4327085

I think mustard seeds would be interesting to try in the brine, too.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #4328850

Thanks! This is fun, cooking with you :)
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #4329331

We brined a turkey and a pork roast for Christmas. Both delicious! Very moist and tasty! Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9295683

Bump!

Could this brine be used for pork spareribs and pork brisket to be BBQed/smoked tomorrow night? Do I absolutely need three days in the brine? I only have overnight, tonight, 24 hours...

Lemme know, ASAP, please!

Thanks!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9295773

I always brine pork ribs, and most other pork cuts, overnight.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9295810

Darius Vander-somethingorother,

I LOVE YOU!!!!

Hugs!

Linda

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9295985

LOL! What I didn't say is that I also include a dollop or two of raw apple cider vinegar (like Bragg's) in my brines for pork. I could go into the reasons, but it would take pages... and the vinegar doesn't affect the taste at all.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9296012

I don't have time to find the juniper berries, and I'm not so sure about the cloves on the ribs.

What'd you think?

Heading to the store tonight. Will check back to Dave's in about 2 hours for your reply. I have apple cider vinegar at home.

Thanks, Again!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9296019

Well, juniper berries take the gaminess out of wild meats (like venison or rabbit) so I keep a jar on hand. Since most pork isn't wild game, it would only be an added herbal scent, in my opinion.

I'm not sure about using cloves, although just 1-2 might be interesting without affecting the taste.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9296267

Darius,
I'm brining 5 slabs of ribs. do I need to double or triple the brine recipe ? They'll go into a cooler till tomorrow night .

Linda

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9296281

Just have enough brine to cover them by a couple of inches...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9296309

Thx !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America