Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Can we start now . . . please!

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 92, Views: 531
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
8:06 PM

Post #4314017

I can hardly wait to start . . . surely there is something we can winter sow now.

Michaela
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #4314027

Michaela, I would think you could do some hardy perennials to help you relieve some pent-up gardening needs!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #4314034

Thank you Cathy4 . . . I needed that! I want to try some hardy geranium and maybe some echinacea. . . just to get started, of course!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #4314041

You are going to look in the container every day like I do, aren't you?? ha ha, remember that nothing is going to happen for a LONG time.
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

December 20, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #4314044

This message was edited Dec 20, 2007 3:43 PM

This message was edited Dec 20, 2007 3:43 PM
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #4314059

This is the wintersowing forum . . . isn't it?
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

December 20, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #4314067

This message was edited Dec 20, 2007 3:44 PM
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #4314068

last time i looked it was, haha
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

December 20, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #4314070

:)
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

December 20, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #4314135

Well I couldnt wait either!

I have 28 cups in a sterilite container with the shrubs and hardy perenials I thought would take the longest to germinate. The winter solstice is supposed to be the time which is Saturday, but here it will be above 60 degrees that day. I read about someone scattering poppy seeds on top of snow on Christmas Eve and some folks waiting till January.

I have plenty of seed so I guess I'll have to cultivate some patience:-)

Joyce

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #4314209

All the pots I have are ready and waiting, but I have room for more in my plastic bins. Deciding what to plant is sooo hard, I want it all!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #4314241

Exactly . . . I need about 300 containers if I were to do all the different seeds!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

December 20, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #4314307

oh yea,
It is sooo tempting to do them all now but I'm waiting to do the annuals later. They cant go in the garden till April and I dont want to have to repot them in between so 'm waiting till at least January for those. I think the shrubs and bushes will be fine thou so I did those already. This is my first year doing this so its really experimental. What works this year I'll repeat and what doesnt I'll try something else.

I really wanted gooblygobs of poppies this year because I have some that are still blooming now so I'm doing a lot lot lot of those now and in January too. Hope they take :-0
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #4314330

You still have flowers blooming??? We have over a foot of snow!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

December 21, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #4314677

Yes! Can you believe it?
They were in a $1.00 package of a wildflower mix from the dollar store. I threw them in a pot on the patio in the Spring and the only thing that came up was this tall poppy which started blooming when everything else was dying even thou it gets below freezing at night. I figure that worked so might as well do a bunch of them:-)
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #4314825

How about starting your wintersowing with trees and/or shrubs? Both would be excellent to start now.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4315004

Poppies will do fine now too, they are very hardy annuals. It's the tenders that can be a problem if they germinate too early in an unusually warm spell. I don't do tender annuals until around March or April. Most of those sprout very quickly in the warm weather, often in a matter of days.

Karen
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #4315224

Alright ladies, why aren't you forcing bulbs? The kits are on great sales and you get all that lovely color in Jan and Feb!
I just picked up 4 hyacinths yesterday and held back some daffodils and iris to play with. I don't like the paperwhites, to me the smell like burnt rubber. yuck
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #4315362

can't stand paperwhites either, p-u stinky. Any special store having the kits on sale cat?
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #4315369

Lowe's at 2.85 each...I took those bad boys and 2 lonely Christmas cacti and ran! LOL
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #4315384

Hmmm, just may have to do a little shopping tomorrow.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
3:54 AM

Post #4315412

I do love hyacinths and these are nice big, fat bulbs! And the daffodils always cheer me up. I'm more prone to getting the "blues" in the winter and things like that help a lot!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
10:42 AM

Post #4315946

Wintersowing = end of winter blues.

Karen
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #4316944

OH BOY!OH BOY!OH BOY! I am ready to start WS too! I am going to Lowes today and see if they have bulbs so I can try that too! I need more soil too!

I tried to get family members to get me big bags of soil for Christmas Gift,but they were not too thrilled with the idea☻ So, I will get my own soil cause am already out of it. This is my first time to WS and it is so exciting☺☺
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #4317030

If they don't want to do the soil, then I nice "big" gift certificate would be lovely. You can buy your own and get exactly what you want. :)
You don't need much soil for forcing bulbs. Hyacinths you force in water...the kit has it all including the forcing vase. :) Gotta love it.
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #4317145

I left a gentle hint about money or a gift cert. I'll have to wait and see what Santa brings☺If I get one more plaque about what a great Mom and Wife I am, I swear, I will rent myself out, not that I don't appreciate the sentiment,but I really need DIRT ♪ ☼♪ ☼
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #4317183

I asked for half barrels, but the kids did not look too thrilled about buying them. Hmm, I've never received the great mom/wife stuff, wonder why? I'd probably laugh out loud!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #4317192

posyblossom you are a woman after my own heart...LOL And Cathy, it must be the name, I get nifty things like a new rod and reel, buck knife, etc. I do not get appliances for birthdays and Xmas. I established that a long time ago, I warned them I would get real, real ugly about that. And just think how uncomfortable those type of items are when they are "stuffed" in your anatomy! LOL
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2007
7:46 PM

Post #4317212

OH! Yous are making me "laugh till I cry"☺☺☺☺
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #4317281

lol, rof, that's the same place I'd stuff them, but maybe I'd light a match?? My fav gift was the rechargeable drill, woo hoo, love that baby!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #4317320

Hmmm, maybe your's and mine are somehow related? I got a rechargeable drill, dremel (which is MINE! I do not Share, MY dremel), and a little power sander with a dust catcher attachment. It's wonderful. I have COPD so I have to really be careful about dust etc...now if I can just quit smoking...not going well, but I'm making slow progress. I do love my MD, who said just keep working at it. every one you don't smoke is a plus. I'm think about trying this laser technique I've heard advertised that are suppose to help stimulate the production of endomorphisms and block the craving. I need to get more information on that, sounds a little out there. I'm allergic to the binders in the gum, sheesh, the pills are effective in that I spend hours in the bathroom, not good for my innards. I may just go back to the patch.
Anyhoo, I guess I really can't give my guys too much hassle since I like those kind of gifts. When they bring me roses it's the whole bush...LOL Works for me...it's truly a gift that keeps on giving...and I do love roses sooooo...

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
9:26 PM

Post #4317422

I've already wintersowed a lot. I made a new bed and put in poppies, hollyhocks, ironweed, columbine, amaranthus, and love in a mist. I still have to add speedwell and a couple of other things for W/S. Then in spring I will put some extra plants in as fillers. I have a few containers ready and another couple of 2 ft gardens I'm getting ready to put more poppies in. I put 24 packs of others seeds to stratify in the fridge last week. I will probably add and 10 to it this next week. Time is wasting gang. Hop to.
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4317448

OMG ROBYNZNEST! You are the most organized WS sower☺ I hope you can post a pick of this bed when it is all in bloom next year.

I am Hop, Hop, Hopping but I hop more like a slow poke Slug☻
sevidra
Rockaway, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #4317462

muahahaha I got three cherry trees, two blueberry bushes, and two raspberry canes in the mail today. I didn't expect them til next year! I ran out to the hardware store and bought FROZEN soil to put them into pots with. The guys there are so amused at me - they've been supplying me with gardening stuff all fall and winter lol. Today, we had to hack the soil bags apart, they were frozen solid on the pallet.

:D

-Sev

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
9:51 PM

Post #4317477

Warm them puppies up a little and put them bushes in the pots. Come spring I will be expecting some pies and fresh fruit. Just as long as it's not fruit slush!:(

I'm not all that organized really just bored out of my skull. I get cabin fever quick and have to do something about it. Feeding all the animals and such outside didn't give me enough to do so I started the sowing a couple of weeks ago. I got done with the first wave just before the ice storm hit.

The neighbors dogs dug up part of the garden and 3 of my containers I had with poppies in. Luckily I can replace all of them in 2 of the pots. I can't replace the black Peony poppy as I only had a few of those seeds. It will be funny next year as to where all those others will pop up. I found one container on its side in the garden empty, another in the field empty, the third is completely gone. They probably took it back to their owner so she could grow them.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
10:04 PM

Post #4317502

Today I received 5 red twig dogwoods about 3 feet tall, they will go in one big pot with the last of my soil mix. I'll have to buy more now, too. I've always wanted them.

I'd be really ticked if my neighbors dog took or destroyed my plants. Grrr, you are nicer than me!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #4317527

I'M VERY TICKED AND I LET THEM KNOW ABOUT IT TOO. SAD PART IS, IT'S NOT THE FIRST TIME THEIR DOGS HAVE DONE THIS, THEY ALSO DESTROYED 3 BRUGS THIS PAST SUMMER. THEY WERE MY FIRST ONES, THEY WERE NOID, BUT STILL IT ABOUT KILLED ME. I'LL NEVER KNOW WHAt they looked like. (sorry about that). The neighbors have never offered an apology or to replace them or anything, except "send the dogs home if they are bothering you." This was too much, so now we got a couple of male dogs to keep them out of the yard. They are almost big enough to take care of things and ours stay in our yard.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4317564

Don't be sorry, I'd be *tempted* to start shopping for a BB Gun, and would probably *think about* send over brownies topped with Milk of Magnesia Icing with a side of yummy x-lax covered doggy bones and fix the door so the dogs can't get out of the house until it is too late.

I never do the terrible things I think about, but I sure enjoy thinking about them, haha

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #4317584

I like your way of thinking.lol I have a couple of shotguns that I keep around to scare off the coyotes and to shoot the varments that try to get my chickens, but would never ever think about shooting a dog with one, unless it became vicious. So maybe an air pellet gun would work.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #4317680

Well, maybe in the dark or a fog or a hard rain you might "accidently" mistake those bad dogs for coyotes!

Anyway, I winter sowed the following today - Rose of Sharon - pink, Rose of Sharon mixed, Hardy Geranium - magenta (snatched seeds so I don't know the cultivar).

I feel better - it's a start.

Regarding Xmas gifts - my mom sent me $50 so I will probably buy dirt with that :-)
sevidra
Rockaway, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #4317683

Heh. I'm worse. I'd call the animal pound and have the dogs picked up as strays when they were on my land.

Let the owners learn the lesson...

Oh, and Seandor, my hubby's STILL laughing at me because when he asked what I wanted for Xmas, I replied "a couple of bags of s---."

I don't know if he'll ever recover from that surprise - once he stopped thinking I was joking, he's been teasing me incessantly. :D

-Sev

This message was edited Dec 21, 2007 6:00 PM
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #4317686

Well, it would be the truth . . . and possibly effective!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #4317724

Hey Sev, send your husband here, I have a field full of s... he can have for free. He just can't have whats in the barn and corral. I have dibs on that.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #4317732

Can I ask a stupid question? I am Canadian and I have no idea to what state MO refers . . . but it must be someplace with winter - where do you live Robynest?
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #4317742

MO is Missouri I believe...this new abbreviation system makes me stop and think. And they do have winter there...LOL

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #4317747

Missouri. It's not a stupid question. My to be daughter-in-law is Canadian. It took her a couple of years to figure out we aren't by Texas. Right smack dab in the middle of the USA. We usually have mild winters, sometimes it can be bad but not to often.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #4317766

While it was 50 degrees today, we still have piles of snow melting from last weekend. Missouri's weather changes every few days most of the year, freezing weather again starting tomorrow.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #4317772

Well, I am zone 6a and we have about 15 inches of snow! Last year we didn't even have freezing weather until the middle of January . . . Gee I wonder how this will affect winter sowing? I just put my containers I made today on the front veranda, but should they be buried in the snow?

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #4317774

We hit 62 and they are talking snow again geeez.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #4317780

Snow will help them. They need that cold so they can germinate properly. Plus the nitrogen in the snow helps feed them.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #4317782

62! You lucky dog!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #4317789

Man! That means I have to get dressed and move stuff to the snow . . . well, maybe I will get to it tomorrow.
sevidra
Rockaway, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4317846

Robyn, I would, but he works late regularly - no time to trek out there. Maybe we could mail it? LOL

Oh, he's going to laugh even harder, and I'm going to get in so much trouble - doesn't the PO make noise if you ship poo?

-Sev

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #4317899

You should look up how poo got the name s..., it's a very interesting story.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #4318278

Okay, I've decided tomorrow is the day I start my first 4 milk jugs: Bachelor Button, Purple Coneflower, Coreopsis (tickseed) and 6 seeds of spider flower (cloeme). I received 12 seeds so I'm going to try half of them now. The morning weather is supposed to be nice, by bedtime back into the 20s. Crossing my fingers!
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 22, 2007
6:44 AM

Post #4318905

Hi all, I know I am a bit colder then most-but have a look at my journal and see what I have been up to :o)

Lots of winter sowing going on-some are tried and true-others are just a test for our new database.

I think I have over 100 types in by now...LOL

I couldn't wait either!!!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #4319089

I just sewed paw-paws,hackberry,indian pinks and great solomon's seal in the greenhouse. I scattered poppies and larkspurs in the flowerbeds a week or so ago.

I'll be sewing more in the greenhouse after Christmas.

Robyn,
I feel for ya. I had a kiddy pool sitting outside with surplus aquatic plants in it one year. My neighbors SEVEN dogs came over and destoryed quite a few.It was summer,they were taking a dip and having a pool -side lunch,I guess.When I went over and told him he scolled the dogs like childred...yeah,like that was gonna do any good.

My neighbor's cats got into the greenhouse one year and rolled in my pots of catnip.That was kind of funny because it really didn't kill the plants..just smooshed them. B&E by "cat" burglers...LOL

P
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #4319127

My Santa(s) have bought me some wonderful presents that I didn't want, like expensive fancy clothes, jewelry, etc. Been there, done that. There is a pricey $$$ name cashmere twin sweater set still in the box under my bed from several years ago. Never been worn, tags still on. I hate any wool- it's itchy. I want COTTON clothes. Now I give them lists of suggestions, and often I get them.

These have included ProMix, garden tools, compost and worm books, compost thermometer, etc. This year's list has a circle hoe, timer for the hose faucet, Steeler sweatshirt, warm pajamas, ... These are things I WANT and WILL ACTUALLY USE.

Karen
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #4319237

I asked "Santa" for a wheelbarrow. DH asked what I would do with one . . . I said to him - Do you know how hard it is to carry dirt all over?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #4319318

I'd sell that cashmere sweater set on ebay.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #4319447

Ooooooh I needed this thread this morning! Got a laugh out of the frozen potting soil--had the same problem a couple of years ago. I got the last bag at the feed store and it was a solid rock and they thought I was crazy. :-) I really gotta get my poppy seeds going; I have a ton of them if anyone needs/wants some. This will be my first year *deliberately* doing winter sowing...any suggestions for good candidates?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #4319501

woofie, I'd love some poppy seeds, may I send you a SASE? This is my first year so I don't have trades yet. Tks, Cathy4
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #4319639

I LOVE THIS THREAD☺♥

Ok! Here I go, off to plantfiles instead of grocery shopping☻
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #4319649

Cathy4, sure, as SASE would be fine. I'm in the address exchange. These are papaver somniferum; I've had some of them get close to 5 feet tall. I really like them, but they never want to grow where I WANT them to grow.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #4319678

You know what buying soil does? It makes me far more discriminating in what I actually sow - can't waste expensive soil on whims . . .

But I really do want to plant them all . . .

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2007
5:35 PM

Post #4319781

cathy4, if you want some seeds for winter sowing or springtime sowing, send me 3 stamps and I will send you a bubble enve full of seeds. My address is in the exchange.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #4319787

For thoses of you who need a little help of which seeds can be sown check out the lists that are being sent in for a W/S swap http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/795796/

There is a pretty good selection of easy to sow kinds.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #4320533

I had DGD help me set up hyacinths and daffodils for forcing this afternoon. She didn't really understand, she's only 4, but it's going to be interesting to see what she thinks when they start to bloom in the Jan/Feb. We did one pot just for her Mama. LOL
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #4321467

Cathy - I too have some seed that I can share. If you want to send me 3 stamps, I too can ship a bubble envelope to you. My address is in the exchange too.

Anita
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2007
3:20 PM

Post #4321734

Wow, you are all so nice! I'll have to make a run to the post office for stamps, it will be next week before I can get a ride. Thank you!

Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #4321902

Just pass it forward. :)

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #4322120

There's plenty of winter left so no worry.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2007
6:43 PM

Post #4322253

I love pass it forward.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #4322316

I just wanted to chime in here and let you know that I have been lurking on this thread and became infected by all of your excitement...I have decided to try this this winter. Never have I even collected seeds from my own plants. But now, you should see me. Completely gone. Just caught myself dissecting agastache pods under a magnifiying light with a craft knife...All your faults, you know:-)
Bev
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #4322325

I know, I know! I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get to my pots through all the snow that has turned into ice, let alone chip chunks off my bag of potting soil. So many seeds, so little time...
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #4322333

lol, you are one sick person Bev, welcome to the club! I was just out freezing my beejeebers off planting the last of the hundreds of bulbs I ordered in a moment of insanity. These last ones went into any part of the garden I could dig into. Found some happy worms under the chopped leaves, that's a good sign.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #4322412

Thanks for acknowledging my sickness:-) It seemed to have come on suddenly. I'm laughing cathy thinking of you planting bulbs. I just did that a few weekends ago. Gee, we've had some unseasonably warm weather, but nah...I waited until it was windy and freezy.
'Course I don't know why I'd laugh at anyone...I collected my seeds in my pj bottoms... from the backyard at least, not out in front! Yep red pjs with polar bears on them:->>
And, have not finished all the shopping/wrapping thing, either. Avoidance is a pain!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #4322482

Good lord! people are still planting bulbs. Gee, if I had known I would have taken advantage of all those end of season bulb sales . . . Ah well, I will know better next year - besides, I will have a better idea where to plant them :-)
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #4322698

Wow you guys are awesome. I am still shoping, wrapping, and cooking. Sowing seeds? Oh my goodness I could not add one more thing to the mix without going completely insane.

But just wait 'till the holidays are over. ;-)
Muahahahahaha.

Cathy (or any newbies lurking) if you still need seeds shoot me a D-Mail.

La
sevidra
Rockaway, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #4322757

Shopping - hah! I let Amazon do that for me. *wicked grin* I ordered all my presents from one place so I wouldn't have to go out in the nasty crowds. Wrapping? Well, we didn't want to pay Amazon _that_ much, so yeah... I'm doing that.

I'm also making a total mess of my kitchen on a regular basis. The mop just doesn't clean all that mud up - I clean it off the counters and wait for it to dry so I can _sweep_ it up! LOL

Hubby thinks I'm nuts - I go through the day making the kitchen a disaster, and then clean it all up at night. He asked me what the point was.

I told him if he wants melons, he'd better put up with my dirt.

He laughed and shut up. *grin*
I now have three types of melons outside, as well as cherries and a few berries!

-Sev
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #4323074

MELONS!? You can wintersow Melons?
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #4323117

Lala_Jane - just jump in feet first with the insanity. It's better for you that way!

I finally was able to finish shopping (mostly) for DH today, as well as WS: 2 types of tomato, 3 types marigold, 1 morning glory, shamrocks (from Ireland!), spearmint, and forget-me-nots - and this is just for starters!

My DS was helping(?) me too, so it was alot of fun. He used my sharpie to write his name on some of the containers and tags. He just loves planting seeds and seeing things grow.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #4323161

What type of melons did you plant, Sej? And woofie, you can winter sow almost anything, but you may have to transplant into bigger containers before you can get your starts in the ground. It depends on when your last spring frost date falls and if you can "fudge" that a bit using cover for tender seedlings.
sevidra
Rockaway, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #4324556

woofie, I have no idea, but I'm gonna try!

I put in Cream of Saskatchewan, as well as some Tom Watson and Charentais. Going to put in some Tiggers as well, and some Honeybrook Luscious I was given by a DG'er.

I'm a melon freak. I can't believe I let so much time go by without growing them - we buy so many every year!

-Sev
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
6:42 PM

Post #4324698

EGADS! I have daylilies germinated in a coffee filter . . . now what do I do?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #4324741

Hi all! Been lurking around this forum as I've been collecting supplies and hulling seeds and happy to have gardening to do in these dark days.

Seandor, did you get your hardy geranium sown? They're a perfect candidate for early sowing and require the freezing and thawing. I tried one variety a couple of years ago with great success and am looking to try more. Were you planning to start the daylilies indoors? In any case, sounds like they need to be put in growing medium. Good luck,
Neal
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #4324775

Yeah - I went to the Daylily forum and found a thread on starting daylilies from seed - got lots of info - except what temperature to grow them at! Any ideas?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #4324784

This may help:

http://www.dianedaylilies.com/seeds.html

They say grow them at around 70F.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #4324787

Seandor, will they bloom this year if started now? That would be so cool to see, I'm thinking there will be pots indoors after all if that is the case. c
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #4324880

Good grief - 70 degrees! Our Old House seldom gets over 60 degrees! Well, if they survive that will be good, but I am not going to heat the whole house for the daylilies - certainly not at the cost of natural gas. :-)

Thanks for helping.

Cathy4 - I don't think they will bloom until their second year. So, I guess I will treat them as an ornamental grass this year lol (assuming that any survive)
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 24, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #4324982

I have read that many need to be stratified first-so mine are in the fridge at the moment...read that they germinate faster this way. I should be taking them out the second week in Jan...will keep you posted :o)
Robbi
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2007
12:50 PM

Post #4327637

No refrigerator necessary. Just putting outside in winter will provide cold strat in most areas, certainly Mn. That is one of the huge advantages of WSing. Freezing temps are not necessary. Most cold strat instructions say around 40 degrees. And the alternating natural swings in outside temps in most of the country are beneficial to germinating seeds.

Karen
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 26, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #4328058

I was just afraid MN would be to cold as I am not sure what the parents are of my DL seeds. I don't know if they were hardy for my zone-so thought putting them out when it was 30 below wind chill may not be such a good idea :o)
My other Daylilies will be OK because they have snow cover for insulation, but these would not if I put them in a pot. Besides, I want to try to germinate them in a few weeks-I didn't want to have to dig them out of a snow bank-LOLOLOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America