Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: basic trellis and fences for roses

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 2, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #4318319

This spring I will plant several climbing roses. I have been looking at options that I might do or hire someone to put up. I am not talking about arches and arbors, just vertical supports of the cheapest, simplest varieties.

I have a workshop with a blank wall. I thought I would use eye-bolts and air plane wire for two climbers there. I will plant one to over-run a tree, and besides that I will have several others. Things I have considered are:
posts connected with heavy chains
lattice connected to strong vertical supports to make a double lattice width.
copper as a medium for a trellis
PVC as a medium as a trellis
posts for shorter climbers

Does anyone have any suggestions that seem as though they would be easy and supportive? The roses will be the real show, not the trellises.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 26, 2007
8:56 PM

Post #4328996

I have used eye-screws with cheap small eye galvanized chain to give the plant something to hang on to, Have also used pvc to make a tall rack for gourds - did not care if they produced or not - wanted the shade from their leaves - worked, too.

Edited for spelling: If I could only get my fingers to hit the right keys.

This message was edited Dec 26, 2007 3:28 PM
AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #4329008

I used cattle fence to make an arbor for my morning glories. Would that maybe work for you as well? It's about 16' long. If you simply hung it... Just an idea.

Anne

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America