Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: The FLOWERPOT Cafe' IV - Join us for a cup of Flowers!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 185, Views: 739
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
8:15 AM

Post #4318965

Well, it seems that the winter has brought new friends into the warmth of the Flowerpot Cafe'. So glad to see the many new faces. So pull up a chair, order a cuppa of your favorite libation and let us continue to learn, share, and most importantly, make new friends.

This is a wonderful cafe' where novice and experts alike can show their works, provide floral concoctions, and have a fun and relaxing time.

Hope you continue to help decorate this wonderful shop.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/789341/

Thumbnail by pupilpropogtr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
8:29 AM

Post #4318973

Pupil, you sure are up late!!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 22, 2007
8:32 AM

Post #4318974

Hi Sharran , we are open 24hrs a day!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
8:37 AM

Post #4318977

Sharran, and you???
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
9:06 AM

Post #4318986

Well yes, of course I am up...can't unwind.

But now to bed...where you should also be. Can't keep my eyes open any longer!
Nite, now.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2007 3:09 AM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 22, 2007
9:19 AM

Post #4318992

YES Traci , go to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tut tut

Welcome to the Flowerpot cafe !
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
9:31 AM

Post #4318998

LOL. Shar, bad one today. REALLY bad. I'll ring you later and let you know about it. Good night. I am going to go to bed in a couple of hours and sleep the day away.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #4319065

Well, I figured we needed something a little girly and sweet to drink, so I brought a TEAPOT of this in. I'll bring out the sugar and cream later and I made some goodies.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #4319080

My Little Pony teapot!! How cute!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
12:17 PM

Post #4319096

LOL, thanks. Terri has been complaining about teapots, so I took Teensy's from her room.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2007
12:47 PM

Post #4319137

Traci, how precious. Morning everyone.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #4319152

Morning. I was going to to the cream, sugar, cup and saucer and plate of food, but I am too tired. Think I am going to catch some zzzz's
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #4319180

Morning All,
My daughters use to love My Little Pony as well.
I'm going into the city now to buy stuff. I don't know where I'm going to be able to work and store my supplies, since I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 other people. And now I have to buy teapots as well. LOL.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #4319196

Get a child's set like Teensy's. lol. Did I tell you I found a glue gun very valuable and cheap. Check out the toolbox thread on here before you go. Terri has lots more that I don't. Oh, ribbon, to hide all those little mistakes.

Teensy plays with My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake. Two of my fav's growing up.

Oh, let me introduce you to Teensy (not her real name. lol. People ask me all the time).

Karma has a darlin little boy too.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #4319238

Love this picture of Teensy!

Diggerette, you're going into New York City? Lucky you, or too bad?
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #4319244

I LOVE NEW YORK. I have only been able to visit twice, both times for a day and a half. I need a month there.

Yea Karma, it is one of my favs. I get her TOMORROW!!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2007
2:15 PM

Post #4319302

I spent three days there, but had a bad case of the flu, stayed in Newark, took the subway, toured Manhattan on foot, in the middle of January. . .

Oh wait, one more thing. . .lost all the pictures from our trip in Katrina.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
2:26 PM

Post #4319311

Katrina. Trip in Katrina? ls this a country or something to do with the hurricane?
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #4319336

You mean you never heard of Katrina Isles? That was New Orleans for a few weeks after the big huricane.

No, we did not vacation in Katrina. We lost all the pics from our trip to New york. Hurricane Katrina destroyed the pictures.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #4319383

Too funny. Though you were going to a trip to some place named Katrina and lost the pics in New York.

Me in the big city. The bar where the Sopranos hung out.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #4319389

Just your average street corner. Turns out one was from a town 20 miles from me.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2007
3:43 PM

Post #4319495

You said no pushing, no shoving in line, and I didn't. Thank you for making a new thread. I been silently slipping under the door cracks through the cafe for quite awhile, stopping and sniffing the flowers and checking out the new arrangements, which have been gorgeous folks. I do have one complaint though. I find teapots all over the place, but haven't foudn a place to refill my cup of coffee. Getting hard to sneak and out to get refills for my cup especially since it cold outside.

Just wanted to let ya all know that there is another flower nut out here in the cyber florist cafe that enjoying your shop.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #4319636

Hey starlight. Glad you spoke up. Yes, they can get a little rowdy in here. Karma protested the last change and what a sad sight she became.

This is a fun thread as we get to play with FLOWERS!! If you have been slipping under the door cracks, then you know I am the newbie. Karma and Terri are the professionals. Sooo, since your hear, wanna play. It is lots of fun, a little frustrating, but very entertaining. Have you ever done arrangements before?

I'll find you some coffee. Terri doesn't like tea either. The first one is on the house.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #4319651

I also brought in some Camilla tea. Feel free to have some. Just leave the money on the counter. I have to run for a bit.

WAIT, I know you. You are on Carol's site aren't you? Also, Seale, AL. Where is this located? Near the coast? Yea, another bamian. Of course I am really an Auburnian.

Which one do ya'll think. At first I didn't like this one...

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #4319656

So I did this one. But...

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #4319658

When these two are together, I don't think they look as good.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #4319660

I liked these together better. Come on, hit me with your best shot!!

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2007
9:23 AM

Post #4321369

Thanks for the cup of coffee. I feel refreshed. I am a little over an hour from Auburn ( War Eagle! ) over by Phenix City/ Columbus Ga.

A couple of years ago I took the flower arranging clas s at Auburn. I enjoyed the listening and looking at arrangements. I afraid I had the most pathetic looking arrangements. Was just lucky that the teacher never graded on talent. Some of my attempts were pretty pathetic looking. I just don't have that creative eye when it comes to making arrangements. I just love seeing the talent here and the creativity. Love looking at seeing all the pretties. Feels like your walking through a florist shop here. : )
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #4321972

Good Morning Everyone,
Yesterday, my sister and I went to the manhattan floral district (crazy crowded) and took a bus to my sister's house in N.J. to create our first floral designs.
I made this arrangement.
This one was inspired by the design Contemporary Christmas (located on the last thread).
Please critique.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2007 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by diggerette

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #4322038

Hi Karma, I Iove Manhattan also. I live in Brooklyn so it's just a train ride away.
I would love to visit New Orleans and eat my first muffaletta. I'm sorry you lost your pictures of N.Y. in Katrina.

Hi Terri, My sister was inspired by your designs and made the ones on either side.
Adele

This message was edited Dec 23, 2007 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by diggerette

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 23, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #4322565

Welcome Starlight, Thankyou for joining us! No need to sneek out with your coffee cup anymore.
We don't consider ANY arrangements 'pathetic' here. We have fun, crazy ideas sometimes (my little pony)
but all our acceptable and enjoyed! The fun is in the 'making' process, not really how perfect it turns out!!!
We will be starting on a serious course soon, but even then, some of us don't have to stick to the rules!

Traci, Great idea using the little pony teapot.Thanks for the fun 'set'. Lovely flowers and your finishing touches are brilliant.

Hi Adele & Sis,! WOW, Love your contemporary, it's beautiful! Nice idea to use the wickerbasket and honesty. Well done, it's really good. (very neat) and you got great materials. Thanks for bringing these to the cafe.

I hope your Sister is going to join us too! I like her style, love the jug and ornamental gourds? Is that a huge vanilla milkshake for me? THANKYOU so much!

Karma, Hello dear! Lovely to see you. Isn't it a great christmas present for our flowerpot cafe to have new friends join us? I did last minute shop and found some fresh roses !
Merry Christmas EVERYONE! I will show you my new vases or containers (if I get any for Christmas)!!!

Thumbnail by terriculture

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #4322835

Terri, I'm so glad you like them. That means a lot to me and my sister. We had so much fun making them.
I love the combination of pine and roses.It's fantastic.

Terri,Karma,
I'm ready for my next project. Starlight, Traci and all others,are you ready too?

Pupil,
I would like some tea,straight up,please.

Adele

Thumbnail by diggerette

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 23, 2007
11:48 PM

Post #4322913

What a lovely 'group' display, they all look great together. I haven't done mine and you are already thinking about the next one!!!
Nice selection of flowers, do you have any more or will you re-use some of these for your next project?
It would be a shame to take apart the Christmas one!
I have presents to wrap and a house that is a mess with flower stuff everywhere, that I need to tidy up!
If you want to make one of the other Christmas arrangements and need the instructions, just let me know which one. I really like your jug with the yellow Chysanths too. I spied a cocktail, save that for Traci!

Please don't worry if people don't pop in over the next few days, I know some will be away for Christmas.
We will be back!!!!!

We are always looking for tea or coffee pot arrangements for this cafe!! Karma makes a lovely oriental brew, with the most beautiful teapot.Unfortuneately it only comes out for 'special occasions'
I found these glitter sprayed tulips, see Traci, you are 'cutting edge' and 'Ultra trendy' !!!!!!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 24, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #4322989

I also found a tropical bunch for 50p, everything was going cheap! I love this tiny pinapple it's so cute!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #4324108

Hi Adele! Your contemporary piece is awesome. I'm so happy you are joining us. We need someone who can keep up with Terri. Love your energy. . .it's as great as Traci's. I'm afraid you all will be leaving me behind very soon. Don't worry, I will try to catch up. Keep up the good work. P.S. I love your bathroom sink.

Terri, love your pineapple arrangement. The assorted foliage is great.

Hi Starlight, glad you dropped by!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #4325051

Karma, Thank you for your kind words. I feel so fortunate to have met all of you. Everybody has great energy and is so friendly and helpful.

Terri, I also love your pineapple lily design. Do you write "the recipe" after you make an arrangement?

Today I went foraging at my kayak club's ground for material. I gathered dogwood sticks. They're a pretty red.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #4325093

I don't have any flowers in the yard, but I was able to take a picture of the one picture of an arrangement I made, so I offer this to all of you with wishes of a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. May you have a day filled with love, peace, friendship, warmth and happiness

Thumbnail by starlight1153

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #4325102

Starlight, Your piece is beautiful and graceful.
Happy Holidays!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:23 PM

Post #4327691

Starlight, thanks for the holiday wishes. A belated Merry Christmas to you and everyone else. . .and a Happy New Year! Your arrangement is lovely. I like the way you have the seeded eucalyptus cascading out of the basket (?). Is that a basket with a handle or is that a branch of something that you curved over? Nice touch if it were the latter. Thanks for sharing. Did you say pathetic? I DON'T think so!

Good morning everyone! I can't believe Christmas is over. What's everyone doing today? Returns or more shopping? I'm staying at home today and doing lots of laundry and cleaning. I've neglected my plants for 2 weeks now. . . I hope they are still alive. I bought a bulb kit with amaryllis and paperwhites about a week ago that is coming up right now. Something to look forward to now that Christmas is over. I'm going to start a new thread on wedding flowers if anyone is interested in joining me over there. Will come back here with a link. Well, thanks for the coffee. . .I have work to do.

Here's the link. Please take a look! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/799557/

This message was edited Dec 26, 2007 8:09 AM
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #4327956

I made that arrangement when I took the floral arranging class. Been carrying the pic for a year. Was the only thing that I made that looked worthy of even taking a pic and saving and it isn't even what it looks like.

Funny you mention wedding flowers Karma cuz that what it was supposed to have been. Pity a poor bride if she ever got one of my arrangements. LOL We was given a few flowers and one of them foamy things with the handles ( don't know what they called) and told to make a wedding bouquet out of it. When ya had to hold it by the handle thingy all the eucalyptus stuf f hung down and there was holes all aroudn the bottom of the foliage to the flowers. The whole thing was lopsided and out of balance think that the term for stuf f moving smoothly or a pattern.

I had books to carry and my seed gathering bag that day and didn't have enough arms so put it in a basket that was sittign in the room to carry home. That the basket handles. I not that creative to make one from sticks.

yep, holiday over here for the most part. tryign to catch up on tons of laundry and find my kithen table to I can more seed started. Then it will be time to tackle the dishes. ; (

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
7:51 PM

Post #4328821

Starlight, you are just too hard on yourself. Did you take just one class or a series of classes? It was fun or stressful?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 26, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #4328965

Hi Everyone! Hope you all had a lovely time at Christmas.
Thankyou Starlight for coming back with your lovely arrangement! I agree it is a delightful basket of flowers.,and given with such warm wishes.
Thankyou all for the kind comments about my arrangements!
Adele, I used to take front, back and side view pictures listing all the plants and flowers, I will try to remember! I don't really know the names of the tropical bunch.I have only one dogwood,they are great sticks for arrangements.
Karma, Thankyou for starting a new thread with wedding fllower arrangements. I will go and check it out!
Did you get any floristry or gardening stuff for Christmas?

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2007
10:46 PM

Post #4329241

Hi everyone,
Happy one day after Christmas!

I just now, unsuccessfully, tried to make a wreath with wheat. Can anyone give me some tips. I have a wired circle 18''
Thanks
Adele
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #4329264

Hi again Adele, I will leave it to Terri. She is our wreath master!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 27, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #4329516

Hi Adele, What have you got in your wired wreath, moss? or foam?
The wheat would be tricky to use because it breaks easily, so it would be better to make bundles (4/5) wired together. Without seeing the wreath frame, it's hard to say!
Karma, I seem to remember, a while back ,you said you would make a wreath! or am I just imagining that?!!!!!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4329565

Karma... I took a whole semester course, 4 months of floral design. Every week we learned how to make something new. The general priciples involved with each type of arrangement. I liked the class, and I liked the learning and the playing with the flowers. There was about 30 of us in the clas s and we even had a couple of males. I didn't think I did to bad until I saw what everybody else made. Then I would get kinda depressed. There was some real talent and creativity in that room.

I'm a grower and a wood crafter. I love sprouting seeds and growing plants and had been watching the cafe for a long time and had decided to grow more cut flowers this year and se e if I maybe I couldn't learn how to maybe make some simple small cute arrangements for what I grow that could go to the market too.

Diggerette.. What you and your sister working on now? Lovely arrangements. : )
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #4329688

Hey all,
First time I have been able to get to a computer and don't have long. Just wanted to say belatedly, Merry Christmas!!

The cafe' is hopping, which is fantastic. Diggerette & Starlight, fantastic and Terri, as usual.

More next week!! I have Teensy this week!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 27, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #4329705

Starlight, a wood crafter? Did you know we have a gallery for arts and crafts at the cafe,? Please show us some of the handmade crafts you have made, if you have any pictures.That would be lovely.
We all love to grow flowers, and somehow the arrangements are special !

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 27, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #4329718

Hi Traci! Have lots of fun. I hope you washed out Teensy's teapot!!!!!
Thanks for calling by.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #4329743

Starlight, could you be my mentor for growing seeds then? I have been wanting to winter sow, but first i have to get all my bulbs in the ground. Just wishing for some time in the garden. Tomorrow, I will spend all day in the garden. Can't wait for spring. . .we can all play with our home grown flowers!

Hi Traci. . .a belated Merry Christmas is better than no greetings at all. Have fun with Teensy this week and have a great New Year's!

Terri, I probably did say I would make a wreath. I probably said many things. . .bit more than I could chew. How was your Christmas?
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #4330018

Terri,Oh, you have to put foam or moss on the wire?! That could be a major reason why it looked like crap. I made a hanging wreath because I couldn't fiqure out how to layer the wheat on the wire.

Starlight, I love wood craft. Please share your work. I'm also going to grow more flowers for cutting and drying. Flowers fresh or dry are so expensive.
Tomrrow, I'm going to start my winter sowing.

Please critique. How could I have made this better?

Thumbnail by diggerette

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #4330086

Terri, Here's the wire frame. I wire the foam or moss on it?
Thank you for your help.

Thumbnail by diggerette

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 27, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #4330130

Oh now I know what kind of wreath!!!!!
This is a sheaf wreath! and you have made a beautiful job of it.
Love the way you have layered the wheat and the lavendar, as a background to the roses.
Also a very natural and fitting use of the string both for pratical and decoration purposes.
I think it is lovely and it doesn't need to be improved. Well done and thanks for bringing it in.
You could use your wire wreath for something else, if you have it handy I would like to see the frame!

karma, I had a lovely day, great watching the girls opening their presents and being 'Happy' with everything. We had a big dinner and christmas pudding, mince pies, lots of chocolates and I still feel full today!!! Thanks for asking, how was yours?
I got some seeds too!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 27, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #4330177

SNAP! (that means we typed at the same time)
This is the HARDEST type of wreath to do, hahaha!!! good luck.
Moss would be best for this wreath, and you have to cover the back with tape and pin on your plant material.
Alternatively, you could layer dried stuff and berries around it,
either way you have to wire everything onto it.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #4330270

Wow,I think I'll put it away for now. Thanks
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 27, 2007
4:21 AM

Post #4330363

Sorrry! I didn't mean to put you off. If you want to use it I can get my book out and show you how to make it step by step!
Has your sis made anything since your flower day together?
I meant to say earlier, the wheat you used is very expensive here, that amount would cost a fortune here. It looks in really nice condition.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #4331007

Terri, I forgot to thank you for your kind words about my wreath. Thank you. Its a big confidence booster.
Also,you didn't put me off. That wire frame did. I ordered a grapevine one.That's easier to work with,right? I'll wait to make a wreath until then. A bundle of wheat was 5.00. I used 2 bundles with some left over. Is that a common price? All the materials for the sheaf wreath came to about 25 dollars. This is an expensive hobby. Is floral design your job? I'm thinking about it becoming my new job when I retire in 3 years.
My sister(Teri)made a few more things but her camera is not working. She's coming over tomorrow. We'll make more then.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
9:16 PM

Post #4332198

here's something my daughter,Emily, created.

Thumbnail by diggerette

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
10:55 PM

Post #4332436

Karma... be glad to help you with your seeds, any way I can. Been looking through all the seed cataogs to see what might be good and a bit different to grow. When I figure it out and get the seeds in would be glad to share any your interested in.

Terri.. nope didn't realize there was an artisans place til ya mentioned it. When I get out to the shed and get more batteries for the camera will try and take some pics. I take loosey pics too : ) Feet , fingers and off center usually make it into the pics.

Diggerette.. Your broom is really pretty. Like how the flowers all in place around the outside . Your daughter did a really good job. I love eucalyptus, just which I wasn't allergic to it. Give s me a migrane headache when I work with it.

Pupil.. Have fun with Teensy!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #4333594

Starlight, thank you for your offer. I have loads of seeds too! When I have some time, I will give you a list. There was this round robin "deejay" hosted and she sent me all kinds of seeds that I've never heard of before. Perhaps there are some that you will be interested in.

Adele, that arrangement is fantastic. I adore that vase with the frogs! Great job Emily. You have a family full of talent there Adele!

Terri, what kind of seeds did you get? We had a great Christmas. Spent Xmas Eve with my family and Xmas Day with dh's. Peyton had lots and lots of presents. We have toys just everywhere. Clean up will be a lot of work from now on, but will be worth it as long as he's happy.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4333603

(((((((((((((((PUPIL))))))))))))))))
you never called me back! Miss ya girl!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4333613

Misty, sorry I haven't seen her here today. . .we all have been missing her as well. Hope she is having the time of her life with Teensy!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #4333624

I sure do miss here, that's for sure! She called me just as I was on my way to get the boys from their Dad's on Christmas day and never called back. :( I know she and Teensy are just having a ball! Guess my little Teensy will have to do for now! :)
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #4333645

How old is your little teensy? Mine is going on 20 months.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #4333654

Hi Adele,
I think we have different names for the floristry materials! I haven't heard of a grapevine wreath! Does it have foam in it? The foam ones are the best to start with when making a wreath. I have a picture of one in
the Belle's florist thread. Since christmas is over now they are not used that much, only in sympathy tributes.
I agree! it is an expensive hobby, so buy bargains and re-use whenever you can bring yourself to take apart something you have taken HOURS making!! it's the only way, during the winter when there's not much to snip in the garden!
If you have greenery in the garden use that instead of buying the expensive florist stuff.
Hope you and your sister (my namesake) have fun again making something exciting for our cafe!!
Thankyou Emily, for making a pretty arrangement for our funny little cyber cafe!
I also think you did a nice job making the 'fan shape'. It must run in the family having a natural gift for flower arranging.! Already you have mastered one big floristry rule, which is to put the larger flowers at the bottom, getting smaller towards the outside of the design. Also, the shape of your pot complements the shape of your arrangement. Fabulous and very well done. Thankyou, Traci puts all the arrangements in place at the cafe, I'm sure she will find a beautiful spot to show it off at it's best!
Hi Starlight,
There is the Artisans flowerpot cafe on the Artisans forum, you are welcome to go there and show your art to other artists. After all it is our sister cafe!! We also have a gallery right here in the flowerpot cafe, so please show us here too!
I get a headache when I work with conifer for a long time. some plants have that effect on you and you don't even realise it for a while.
Has anyone got any ideas for what you would like to make with flowers next?
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #4333655

Well, my 'teensy' daughter is 5, but we named our female puppy after pupil's teensy. I will attach a pic, although it isn't even close to how fat she is now! LOL

Thumbnail by mistygardener

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #4333727

Thank you starlight,Karma and Terri for your compliments! it really helped my confidence in flower arranging to hear that you liked my piece. It was a little frustrating sometimes. I never realized how hard it is to arrange the colors, shapes and to add pieces without destroying it. Thanks again. Emily
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4333732

Awwww, thanks for sharing, Misty. And welcome to the cafe. Terri is great hostess. Emily, keep it up. . .you're doing great!

I'm past my curfew, have to say goodnite. Nite to all.

Lana
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #4333786

Goodnight Karma! one of these days we will be here at the same time!!!!!!!!
welcome to our teeny weeny cafe Misty! We all miss Traci, coz she brings us stuff to eat and drink!!!!!!!
But thats not the only reason we miss you Traci!

Emily, the more you make the easier it gets!!!!!

Misty, the first drink is on the house!
Available tonight are... Shy dahlia cocktail , pineapple cocktail , Shakes or smoothies , tea , coffee, hot chocolate .
If there is no one around when you call in help yourself!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
7:41 AM

Post #4334000

I know it what about a month and a half away yet, but what about some ideas for some simple things for Valentine's Day. I got a case of 12 clear flute glasses that 5 and 3/4" that I picke d up for two bucks. I saw them and thought they would be nice to make some sort of arrangemnt in, bt have no idea what or where to start or what supplies I should get. I have floral wire and floral tape and the wholesale shop not too far away and will going in that direction in about a week and a half if somebody has some ideas.

Made a fresh pot of coffee if somebody wants a cup, now if I could just find the sugar. : )
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #4334251

I'll have some of your coffee, starlight. . .although it's almost 5 hrs old. Can you post a pic of your flute glasses? The opening is 3/4"? Is it the size of a champagne glass? If so, we should all have one around the house and we can start our first project?
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2007
1:47 PM

Post #4334327

Good Morning Everyone,
Valentine day project! I'm in!

Terri,Sorry I couldn't respond last night. Too tired. Here's a picture of a grapevine frame. I wire and hot glue gun the materials on to it. That's what they said anyway,in the video I watch on Better Homes and Gardens. It's probably a lot harder than it looked. I think you are right, reusing materials is a smart economical thing to do. Take apart one beautiful piece to create a new beautiful piece. That could only be good.
Also, Thank you for teaching me. "...one big floristry rule, which is to put the larger flowers at the bottom, getting smaller towards the outside of the design. Also, the shape of your pot complements the shape of your arrangement." I didn't know that about putting the larger flowers at the bottom. Is that a rule that cannot be broken?and how do you compliment the shape of the pot? Is there a rule for that?

Misty, cute puppy. more pictures,please.

Thumbnail by diggerette

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #4334431

Good morning all!
Did you find the sugar yet? Gonna need some, and some cream, for that cup a coffee. :)
Will try to get more pics of the little fatty's today. :) Tuxedo started opening his eyes yesterday, so maybe there will be a surprise from Teensy today. :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #4334762

Sugar cubes, for all the sugar freaks...
not good for you y'know!!!

great suggestion about valentines, I will have a think about the glasses.
don't forget, when Traci starts her course we are joining in with those projects too right?

I'll be back later, I have stuff to do, getting ready for Annie's 18th Birthday, we are giving her a laptop!
and she specifically said please Mum ...NO FLOWERS!!!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #4334913

Hi Adele and Misty. Funny Terri about your daughter not wanting flowers. Poor Mum!!! Have FUN anyway!

Last year for Valentines, I gave my co-workers bottles of tulips filled with kumquats. Not a tradtional rose bouquet, but then, I'm not in love with my coworkers. You know, I never get flowers on Valentines. I buy them and give them away or as favors for other men's wives. What's up with that? DH doesn't dare to order me flowers, especially when I can get them much cheaper. The prices of flowesr skyrocket right before Valentines!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #4334971

Ok, so I will have hot chocolate instead of the sugar cubes! LOL
Hey, K. glad to see you are finding the other great threads! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #4335070

Hi Tammy, your hot chocolate is ready!
Karma, while you are over in the tropical forum, check out my tropical Island, I go there when I need some sunshine!
Bottles of tulips and kumquats sounds different Karma! you are creative.

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #4335075

Terri, the hot chocolate is MMMMMMMMMM Good, thanks! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #4335104

Adele, I do know the rules, but don't always follow them!!!
As far as the container goes, usually it will have some connection with your design, either by using plant material of the same colour, or by creating a shape to compliment it. Like in your Contemporary Christmas display. The shape of the basket was long and quite thin, which worked well the shape of your design , tall and slim. The height should be roughly twice the size of the container, to help with visual balance. The actual balance is the tricky bit ! When some stems are heavier than others and it topples over.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #4335122

Thanks Tammy, glad you enjoyed it.
We had our babies on the same day didn't we? how many hours of pain did you suffer?!!!
It was all worth it to have such treasures, I'm sure.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
6:12 PM

Post #4335127

Well it depends on which baby you are talking about! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #4335137

I was talking about your son born on new years eve!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #4335169

Oh yes! Brandon is my oldest and will be 16! WOW, I feel old! LOL
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #4335391

Here ya go. The dead battery light flashing like crazy. We under tornado watch or warning, awlays forget which one is which.

here the glass of glass I got . Aren't flea markets wonderful : )

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #4335421

I got dibs on that sugar cube!!!!!!!!! Good thing it a big one, cuz I need and a half of them for each of the non stop cups of coffee I drink. That so clever : ) LOL

ohh-eeee claps hands : ) Purple carnations, one of my favorite flowers and cookies to boot. !

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #4335487

Hi All,
Here's a cup of roses and lavender for dessert.
Terri, Thanks for the lesson :). It makes a lot of sense. Stem thickness,interesting, it never crossed my mind.

Thumbnail by diggerette

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #4335508

Starlight, were you planning to fill those up and give them out as gifts for Valentines? I would like to cluster some roses right at the brim. I will see if I can find a fluted glass to show you what I'm talking about.

Adele, I like the way you layered the roses. . .lots of visual interest. Terri, I'm heading over to your tropical island.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #4335670

Thanks Starlight! mmmmmmmmmmm what ARE we going to do with your glasses!! Hope they survive the tornado for starters, and you of course! It must be scarry when you get weather warnings like that.
I am guilty of drinking far too much coffee myself!

Adele...hey you are doing great making pretty things for us, Thankyou !
I like the combination of roses and lavendar, at least if the roses don't have any fragrance, there is still something to smell with the lavendar. I think it's really important to have at least 1 thing that has scent in any arrangement, if possible. So many florists flowers looks great but just have no scent at all, shame because it's the first thing people do with flowers is smell them. Rosemary is also a good choice for fragrance.
I like the way you have incorporated a tray of other related assessories which link up with your vase.
only one tiny weeny suggestion... take out the pink flowers, they aren't needed!!!! (in my opinion)!

Karma dear, I know you love the exotic plants, but please note it is a holiday Island and make sure you remember to come back!!!! we need you here... Can't wait to see what you make with the fluted glasses!!

Ice cream anyone?

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
10:22 PM

Post #4335763

Yummy ice cream Terri!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #4336204

Terri,Thanks for the ice cream and advice.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2007
5:18 AM

Post #4337032

Hi all. I actually have time to read and post. Teensy is with her Grandi (my mom) until Sunday and then she goes for a week with her Dad. So next week, I should be around a lot more and HOPE the course comes in!!

Hey Starlight, did it get bad in Seale. We were under the watch, but just got rain, thank goodness. Much needed rain at that. Hope you are well!! Love the glasses and know these ladies can come up with some great ideas.

Misty and Terri, tell the kiddies Happy Birthday from me!! Misty, has Teensy opened her other eye yet?

Diggerette, amazing arrangement, again. Have you taken courses (sorry, I haven't been able to read all the thread)? I love the lines in relation to the vase. And I love the vase!!
Oh, and the wheat arrangement and your daughter's arrangement are fantastic as well. Hope I got them all. :^)

Starlight, your picture of a picture was great. Please don't be hard on yourself. I don't know what in the world I am doing and have made some doozies. Some have a natural talent and some of us (me) have to work on it. All that matters, when you get down to it is, did you have fun and did you like it. No need to compare, just have a great time. I worried myself to death before I posted my first one, and then realized, hey, I had a great time, so don't sweat it.

Terri, as usual, fantastic. I love the purples!! Ah, cutting edge with the glitter. I knew that. lol. I do love the way the leaves look on the tulips. Great idea!! Classes will begin soon!!!! Does the ice cream come leaded? If not, I will just have one of these. Please feel free to join me in one...

Karma, as soon as I catch up on the 50 other threads, my first stop is the bridal arrangements. Can't wait!!

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
5:24 AM

Post #4337042

No, just the one still. Took Tuxedo two days for both, so hers should be tomorrow.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #4337306

Terri, I like what you said about flowers with fragrance. You are totally right. Garden roses are so much more fragrant than florist roses. You really have to close your eyes and get really close to smell the florist roses. Why is that?

I looked everywhere for a champagne or wine glass, and there is none! I just realized my wine cabinet is empty. Bought it a year ago and never filled it I guess. Will put those on my shopping list. Sorry Starlight and Terri.

Traci is back. . .yay yay yay. . .hooray. Did you have a beautiful Christmas with Teensy?

Hi Adele and hi Misty!

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #4337533

Morning all! It is BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR out there this morning, 24 and had to go chase the dog we are sitting for, barefooted! My footsies are frozen! LOL
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2007
2:43 PM

Post #4337563

So sorry Misty, we're lucky to experience that kind of weather only about 3 times every winter down here. Go sit by the fire and have some hot chocolate.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #4337583

Morning all! Felt like the beginning scenes from wizard of oz here for a bit, but once the wind settled down we got some rain and just had a downpour from out of nowhere just a bit ago.

I had thought about filling them up some how and taking them to the market for Valentines Day and seeing if I couldn't earn a few extra pennies. Gotta go to store today and get some batteries so I can show ya a few of the other types of little glas ware and coffe cups I have picked up from flea markets that I thought would be good for arrangement s but never knew what to do with them.

Diggerette.. Lovely roses and lavender. Gonna add some lavender seeds to my growing list. Thanks for the idea. : )

Terri... Awesome ice cream cone. Never seen anythign like that. I just had a thought, looking at it ya all remind of that colestrol commercial te one where it says some of your colestrol comes from the family , but the other part from the foods ya eat. You all have that talent of thinking of something and using flowers to create it. It amazing to watch and se e unfold before my eyes.

Traci... Are ya tryign to get us a bit tipsy. LOL Got what three days before New Years. Oh well, might as well start early, but if my seedlings all get transplante d upside down I gonan bame it on you. : )

Karma... No problem. I am in no rush. heck have glass wear and bits and pieces of stuff sittign in the craft shed for years. I cleaned most of the stuf f out a year or so agao, gave it to somebody who had time to play with stuff and donated alot for Bible school projects, but need to get back out there and get stuf f moved out and about again. Can't walk in the junk room.

The reason florist roses don't smell is becaus e of all the hybridizing. They have been breed for stems and bloom color , size and hardiness and after years and years of messign with the genetics, the smell has all but just about disappeared a real shame for other folks. What frustrating for me is my love of plants and nature and not being able to smell any of it. If I work with anythign fragrant I have to have somebody tell me what it smells like in comparison to taste. gets rough sometime s when ya have things that clash and ya don't know it til somebody tells me.

Well gonan go see if I can run though the rain drops and get to store and hope I don't forget batteries again. Maybe if I write it backwards on my forhead enough people will stare at me to remind me this time. : )

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #4337600

ROFL starlight. Thanks for letting have a good laugh. And thanks for explaining about the hybridizing process. You are the gardening master. I need to get off my butt and do some mopping. . .been moping about mopping all morning. Say that 3 times fast.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #4337631

Moping about mopping, now I like that!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #4338162

Morning,
Starlight, you got rain today? Not fair. Glad everything is ok. I figure, if the plant is potted upside down, it will sure it's true hardy nature and find the right side up. Now that would be a keeper.

Thanks for the welcome back everyone!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 29, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #4338612

Hello Everyone, glad to hear you are all well, and to see that you are enjoying our cafe!
Traci Darling,,welcome back!!!!!!!
First things first, I cannot find any flute glasses either!

Hope your feet have warmed up misty!
Yes the commercial growers from holland 'make' most of the flowers we buy in florists. Standard colours, shapes and sizes.
BUY BRITISH!!!! our homegrown growers sell the most fragrant flowers anywhere.
Obviously they cost more.. which sounds crazy! It is more expensive to buy British flowers than the ones imported from Holland ... but you pay for the freshness and all have the most wonderful fragrance.

I'll be back later with some of my Christmas presents to show you. don't yawn.. you'll like them honest!!
Fresh Coffee for you!! (made last summer)...

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #4338624

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Terri, i forgot to mention that adding rosemary or I would imagine any herb(correct if wrong) to an arrangement for fragrance is such a brillant idea.

Staright, I read the best lavender to grow is munstead lavender.

Pupil. Hi and ..."I love the lines in relation to the vase." Thank you and I didn't even know there were lines in relation to the vase!:) So much to learn.

Hi Karma and Misty!

It was about 50 degrees out so I went out to the gardens at my canoe club and made a raised bed for my flowers. I used bricks for the frame. It felt good to be in the garden and fussing about. Also, I bought a book-Paula Pryke's Flower School. Anyone else read it? I'm going to look at it now.
Adele
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #4338630

SNAP!
Beautiful piece, Bravo!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 29, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #4338637

You won the SNAP, you said it first!

Oh yes I do like Paula!!!!!!!!! maybe we could do one of her arrangements? if you find one you think you could handle!!!!

Thanks for the bravo, notice the rosemary? sweet peas roses... oh I can't wait to have them all back in my garden next year.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #4338670

Yeah, I won! I notice the rosemary now. Its a great plant to use, graceful,pretty and fragrant . I'll get back to you on the Paula arrangement. I'll look through the book,hey, you never know.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #4338675

Hi all! Feet are nice and warm now, but learned the pet sitting shall go on another day, so maybe another excursion come tomorrow morning! LOL
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #4338919

Nothing better than warm and happy feet.

How about this project?

Thumbnail by diggerette

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #4338958

Other than a nice long hot bath, which I just had! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #4339054

Lots of bubbles in my bath please!!!!

I like the look of that project, do-able I say, if you have a big candle handy. I have a red one that I could use.
Smaller ones could be taped together for the same effect. Also if you haven't go the pins for the candle you can use toothpicks.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #4339153

Great project, Adele. Not sure if I can participate, but I'll try. That's 2 projects already. Lots of energy here now. . .hope to keep up with you gals. New Year's is approaching. . .I may go MIA again. Hi Terri! Misti, I'm jealous of your long hot bath. I don't think I've had one in 2 years. I do take showers once in a while though. :P

This message was edited Dec 29, 2007 7:48 PM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #4339284

tut...tut...tut...
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #4339301

What's tut tut tut?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #4339319

disapointment, sadness and such like!!!

What! NO bath? and

maybe missing in action too...

Just joking dear, sorry if my sense of humour is not understood. !!!!!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #4339433

I got your suds going now, nice and hot! And smells good, too! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #4339487

Oh thanks misty, I'm in need of a long hot soak!

Fancy a cuppa while you're here?
I'll leave it on your table, then I will go and have my bath.

Do you say bath or barth? In London they say BaRth, in Liverpool we say BAth.

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #4339494

I say BATH-and it is scented with Honeysuckle, hope you enjoy! ♥ I will have that cuppa while you are soaking! :)
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4339510

Gotcha terri, I'm just dense sometimes. I don't think I've ever had time to soak in long hot bath. Peyton gets all the bath time.

Aww, Terri beat me to it. That's okay though. My nose is all stuffed up. . .I can't even smell the honeysuckle. How bout a vapor bath? That would be great for this cold I can't seem to shake off.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #4339517

Got ya covered there, too! I have some Vicks Vapor Scent that I used for candle making and it is good in the bath, too! Tell Terri to hurry up, then its your turn!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #4339557

no way, I'm not hurrying up, it's my bath time and I'm staying in for a very long time!!!!!!!!!!

Karma is still trying to get Peyton to sleep anyway!

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #4339598

Well I hope the Honeysuckle is soothing and calming. It is my favoritistts scent! LOL
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
5:17 AM

Post #4340004

Thanks misty, I really enjoyed my bath! The honeysuckle was relaxing and calming.
I made a bath for Karma, she's in there now...

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
5:22 AM

Post #4340013

Terri, so glad you enjoyed it, but I think Karma's is just divine! ♥
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2007
8:35 AM

Post #4340227

For some reason, I just didn't picture Karma right. Lovely bath, my dear!

In the south, Bath is two syllabals. Baa uth.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2007
1:52 PM

Post #4340388

Good Morning All,

Terri, You're are so creative and funny. And why do you seem to have an endless supply of fresh flowers?

I can't even figure out how to write "bath" with a Brooklyn accent.

I read more of Paula Pryke's book and it has such beautiful arrangements but I can't afford to make them even if I had the ability to. I'll just have to improvise. The first lesson is to hand tie a bunch of flowers. Here's how.

Thumbnail by diggerette

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #4340391

And here is the final result

Thumbnail by diggerette

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #4340592

Morning everyone,

That was one great bath. . .I fell asleep in it and now look like a prune. I didn't realize I was so hot. . .Angelina Jolie would die for my lips. Question Terri, what are you doing with a bratz doll? Tell me you don't collect them!!! Not that anything would be wrong with that. . .

Another great spread Adele. Beautiful hand tie. . .now who's going to try it? I won't be able to afford that one!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #4340631

Hahahaha that bath so cute. : )

Don't need any bath tubs here, been rainign for three days now, glad to see it though and bad lightening that finally stopped so I can get on puter again Ya!

Well here ya go have to add decoration for the baths. The wash cloths outta be about the right size to dry ooff with when the karma bath gets done.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2007
4:11 PM

Post #4340662

Ya ll are soooooo bad. LOL seeing and hearing about roses I went to wally world last night and looke d at what flowers they had. Floral shop not open yet for holidays. Thought I woudl get a bunch and se e what I could do beside s make a mes s of them. Good grief! They wanted $15-25 bucks for a bunch of half dead flowers. What ever happened to buying a bunch a poseys for a coupel of bucks.

Well, one thign led to another and so I headed for the craft department. Never shoudl of went back there. Got brushes and paint and just as I was heading out the department I saw these. Had to get em. They looked so pretty sitting there. Only problem is now I have no idea what I gonan do with them. Sheesh, all it take s is a pretty color and flower to turn my head and in the cart it goes. Well her e what I got. They plastic or silk, not real, but maybe I can play with some plastic til I can get the real stuff.

Diggerette.. That sure a pretty arrangement. I have a hard enough time tryign to wire two flowers together let alone a slew of them.

Boy spring better get here soon and flowers to growing or the supply house open up, cuz ya all are makign my hands sweat and itch wantign to play. : )

ya gotta look at my bad pics. I am just learnign how to take pics and so far can only do outside pics. Have no idea how to take ones of still life indoors.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #4340972

Nice flowers,starlight.
I agree, I can't afford to use real roses either.
I tried making the hand tie bouquet with strawflowers on wire stems,rose leaves and a plastic bag for a tie.It looks terrible but I practiced the technique. I should practice with flowers on real stems and buy some ribbon.
I thought this was an interesting idea to remember,Paula Pryke stated ,"...design should never be allowed to overpower the natural beauty of the flowers.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #4341221

Starlight, I am going to buy some artificial flowers myself. This way, by the time I am finished with them, they won't be a wadded up mess. I have been meaning to and glad you reminded me.

Diggerette, I have no doubt you will figure it out. You are a natural. I have loved everything you have done. I bet the straw flowers looked good.

Love the quote and very true. Karma is extremely good with this. She can use just a few flowers to make a wonderful arrangement.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #4341426

Pupil, Thank you for your kind words and believe me the strawflower bouquet is ugly.
Here's a natural container i made. Not very functional because if you touch it the lavender flowers fall off.I have it by my computer filled with incense sticks and a couple of pens.

Thumbnail by diggerette

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
10:43 PM

Post #4341763

Just a quick hello to all!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #4341866

I will never understand why men think we should sacrifice function for beauty. I love it!!

Hey Tammy. How are ya's doin'?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #4341877

Hello everyone, how are you all today?
Misty, Thanks for the bath idea!
Karma, I don't collect bratz dolls, but Katie has loads of them, including a tour bus!
Traci, it's not really how I imagine Karma either but I thought she was nicer than the blondie one!
Adele, Thanks for the handtie picture. There must be about 30 roses in that bouquet!!!!!
Nice improvisation on the natural container design.It must smell lovely right next to your computer.
From what I have gathered ,flowers seem to be far more expensive in America.
The yellow roses for Karmas Bath were 1.99 for a bunch of 10.
Starlight, it looks like you have a good collection of artificals there to make something. I'm not sure what yet, but it's something to think about!
I made a handtie, without the leaf collar, I didn't have any aspidistra.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #4341897

I used 7 pink roses, 4 pink carnations,5 pink alstromeria stems 3 white chysanth stems

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4341908

I AM WHOOPED!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #4341916

This jug can go in the cafe somewhere.

Hi Traci, I don't know the answer to that one!!!!!
Misty, sounds like you need a good rest.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #4341982

No wonder you have a steady supply of roses. In my neighborhood roses when it not a holiday affair going on run here $10-15 dollars for a dozen. What they run where everybody else at?

Now that I see the above beautiful arrangements I gotta go back to the store and get some more flowers, with colors to complement the ones I picked out. I gues s I need to learn not to be so afraid of mixing different types of flowers.

Terri... love that material that you have used for a backdrop. Very slinky and really shows off the flowers.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #4342012

Terri,I love your hand tie bouquet!! An important lesson that I learned from this design is that stems are as important as the flowers.
Also, flowers are more expensive here in NYC. Carnations are $1.00 a piece and roses are about $3 or $4 a piece from a street seller, more if they come from a store or a florist.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #4342025

Pupil, Thank you!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #4342108

Thanks Starlight, the material is just a small bit of fabric I picked up in the 1.oo shop!
Most of the designs in the mags can be done without actually getting the same flowers. It's the shape we are trying to achieve! The trouble with handties is , you need lots of flowers to get that 'round posy'' effect.
Do your artificial flowers have long stems?, it's hard to see.
It's a good idea to have a shade darker and a shade lighter of your chosen colour. different shapes and textures of flowers will help to create a more natural look too.

This is one of my christmas presents, a little indoor display. I think it would look nice in the cafe.!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4342109

SNAP!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #4342157

phewwwwwwww got in there first this time!
Hi Adele, The stems are very important, you need them straight and strong so that the handtie can stand alone. I did think it was a bit strange when you said you used your wheat, they are too flimsy, unless you used with other strong stems.
I was hoping one of you could tell me what is the deliberate mistake on mine?

Well, I just had to 'play' with my indoor plant collection. I pushed test tubes into the soil and added the yellow roses to brighten it up a bit. If you hadn't already noticed, Karma makes 'calm' elegant displays and I just have to cram everything in there!!!!!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 2:31 AM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #4342286

Eggnog anyone?

a bunch re-used can go a lonnng way!

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #4342294

Only if it has some Jim Beam in it. gorgeous hand tie.

the shallow bowl, I love and I have all the plants and bowl to make one like it. Except, what is the greenery? Project for tomorrow!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #4342351

The plants are the greenery, nothing else was added only the roses.
small ivy, palm, and flowering something or other that I can't remember the name of!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 3:03 AM
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4342381

Komancho? or something like that. I was thinking of making it a permenent house plant display. I have the ivy and some Swedish ivy as well. I could also dig a small plug of varigated monkey grass for the greenery height. We'll see...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #4342399

Oh I forgot to say, Thankyou Traci for the 'gorgeous hand tie' comment.

So you are making a 'POT et FLEUR' tomorrow, nice one!

plants and flowers combined in a display are called pot et fleur, incase anyone didn't know!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #4342454

Didn't know. Thanks.

Here is the plant http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/12157/
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #4342487

Yes that's the plant, except mine is yellow. Thankyou, you are clever with the links!

If you google pot et fleur, they show different displays with foliage plants and flowers in containers and baskets
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4342519

Terri, An intentional mistake on your hand tie? is it the use of an even number of carnations?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
2:55 AM

Post #4342536

sorry ! nice try...
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #4342584

The stems?
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4342595

The LEAVES?? yes?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #4342619

BINGO Traci it's the stems. They should be shorter like Paula's. The length should be the same from the tie point to the bottom of the stems as it is from the tie to the top. ( if that makes sense)
I didn't want to cut them any shorter... I have plans for them!!!!!!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2007
3:25 AM

Post #4342638

What did I win? What did I win?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #4342670

yes you won!!!! here's your trophy! Well done...

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #4342692

Dagnabit! I was gonna say stems :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #4342774

You have to be quick around here Adele!
I think you deserve the novice shield for being our most productive flower arranger this week.
CONGRADULATIONS!!

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
4:53 AM

Post #4342891

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #4343242

Way to go you guys on your awards!

I didn't know that term either. That a mouthful to try and say. Have to break it down to one word at a time with a pause in between each words to get it out right. The combination of those volwels and letters gets the cheeks in a bunch and the tongue making weird motions trying to say fleur. LOL

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2007
12:34 PM

Post #4343266

Adele, neat idea to accent your pen holder with dried lavender and roses. So glad you've joined us.

Starlight, those silk roses look lovely. Can't wait to see what you have in store for them.

Terri, your handtie is so pretty. Love the soft colors and the ribbon with the pearl pin gives it such a nice touch. I like the way you've spiraled the stems. Your pot et fleurs is lovely. We called it a dish garden at the shop. Not as elegant as "pot et fleurs".

Pupil . . .komancho. . .close enough. Lovely trophy you won there! I'm always too late!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2007
1:47 PM

Post #4343388

Good Morning Everyone,
Terri, An award for me! I'm honored. Thank you. I'm waiting patiently to see what you're going to do with the flowers from the hand tie bouquet.

Pupil,I like Kalanchoe. Its pretty and well behaved. Have fun making your pot et fleur today.

Today, I'll clean my apartment. How do you organize your materials? So far I have all the materials in shopping bags.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #4343703

Hello Misty,
love the way you make the heart shape, how? Happy Birthday to your son today! My daughter was born at 10.22 am., 18 years ago! Makes me feel a bit old today! We went out for and Indian meal last night to celebrate, (she loves vegetable Korma)
Thanks Karma, for the praise on my hand tie, it means alot coming from our wedding guru! I always called it a tray garden, until our floristry tutor told us about Pot et Fleurs!

Starlight, anyone can win the novice shield here, you just have to get arranging!!

Adele, good morning! It makes life easier if your tools are in a toolbox, I have 2, one for scissors, tape, wires etc and the other for accessories, like decorative coloured wires, beads, pins, feathers,etc. most of the other materials I have are in storage boxes, (floral foam, wraps, glue gun) and my containers and baskets are in the greenhouse.

Hope you can all make it later for our New year's cafe party... bring a bottle, fix your hair nice! and come along. Can anyone help me to blow up the balloons please?!!!

I think Traci is too shy to collect her award today folks!!!!!! ahhh she's such a sweet pea!
HAPPY NEW YEAR FLOWERPOT CAFE!
Happy gardening and arranging in 2008!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #4343728

Thanks Terri, and Happy Birthday to your daughter as well! Brandon was born at 8:46 PM, and I, too, feel old! LOL
Ok, to do the heart, press the alt key, then the #3 on your number pad cause the ones across the top won't work. ♥ You have to hold the alt key down at the same time as the 3.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #4343754

Thanks Misty, I will try it later. I'm just going to do a last minute flower shop! buy for now.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #4343876

Misty, Did I miss something? What flower shape? maybe my Mac computer was not able to read it.

Happy Birthday to all the children! My girls are also winter babies,Ricki 12/26/84 and Emily11/10/88.

Terri, I'll blow up some balloons while you're out having fun shopping for flowers.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
10:53 PM

Post #4345249

Thanks Digger! Happy belated to yours, wish we had known sooner! ♥
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4345302

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL OUR PRECIOUS CHILDREN!

A big Birthday cake for all of us to share! Well done to all the MUM'S too.

Back soon with party balloons, are you all getting ready?... hair done? fingernails clean?

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #4345327

Beautiful Terri!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #4345384

Thankyou misty.

I'm dashing about like crazy try to put balloons up and everything, this cafe looks bare!!!
(apart from the arrangements) I wonder if Traci will be making a 'special Brew'?

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #4345396

You betcha! I haven't even heard from Traci, so not sure. Guess I will give her a hollar! We are going to a friends, so all I did was bake the cake! LOL
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #4345463

Happy New Year's everyone!! Going to watch Auburn Vs. Clemson which starts in 20 mins. I'll check in later, but grab a couple of these and bring in the New Year with panache...

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #4345611

Beautiful cake. How do you think of these things?

Happy and a Healthy New Year Everyone!!!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #4345659

Ohlalalal.. I wish somebody would bake me a cake like that. Awesome! : )
Happy Birthday to you's! Happy Birthday to you's!

Party in the Cafe what a way to brign the New Years in!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 1, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4345813

Happy New Year everyone! Wishing you good health and happiness in 2008!
Flower Fairy cakes, so we can wish for pretty flowers to grow in our gardens this year!

Has everyone got a drink? The juke box is switched on and we're ready to rock!!!!!!!
(did I say that)?!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 1, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4345822

I hope I made enough for everyones wishes!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #4346158

Just wanted to drop in and wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Terri, sorry I missed ringing in the New Year with you. Bought flowers. . .I will make it up to you, df! The flower treats look delicious.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #4346636

Happy New Year!!

Hugs, Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2008
6:56 AM

Post #4346676

Auburn WON!! A friend came over to watch the game. Had a little fun for another thread, but will send my New Year's smooch to ya'll.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2008
7:04 AM

Post #4346684

Oh the earring is Cinderella. lol. I guess for the new year, we need a new thread.

Follow me to http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/801252/
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2008
7:06 AM

Post #4346685

Ahhhhhhh, Traci, you are soooooo bad!!!!!!

Happy 2008!!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2008
7:06 AM

Post #4346688

But sooo fun!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 1, 2008
7:26 AM

Post #4346706

Hi Karma, thanks for popping in, Happy New Year to you and yours!

PerennialGirl! Happy New Year, and thanks so much for calling in. I LOVE your garden sculptures, brilliant! Please call in anytime, it's always lovely to see you.

Happy 2008 to you Shar, Thanks for coming, hope you have a creative and healthy year.

Did cinder's go to the ball?!!! Happy New year Traci, hope everything works out for you in 20008.

Just stocking the bar up, incase we get any late comers!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 1, 2008
8:46 AM

Post #4346757

It's a complete mess in here, bottles and flowers everywhere!
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #4348587

Thanks, Terri! I'm hoping to be posting more now that I've changed one of my heart meds.

:) Donna
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 2, 2008
9:42 AM

Post #4350728

Hope to see you all in the next thread!!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America