Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Car alarm question

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 2, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #4320360

For the past week when I push the remote for the car it makes a noise but not the one beep for lock and two beeps for unlock. I got in the car and pressed the remote and the doors locked. I waited and pressed again and the doors unlocked. The lights flash but no beeps.

Around the same time a little red light turned on the instrument panel. It is not in the manual. On the left side of the steering wheel from the door going right is: rear view mirror control, instrument panel light control, traction control switch and the little red light. The light is smaller than a pencil eraser.

The car is a 1997 Toyota Camry. I checked out Toyota's website but I can't find anything about the instrument panel.

Any ideas? Thanks
2zeus

(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2007
8:32 AM

Post #4330590

Have you had the car serviced recently? Some car alarms have the option of either the horn beeps to let you know you've armed the system, or if you prefer it, the light comes on, (with no beeping of the horn) when it's armed.

My last Buick had a tiny button way the heck and gone up under the dash, with which to switch it from one way to the other.

Try calling a dealership and asking - they should be able to tell you.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2007
12:07 PM

Post #4330736

Thanks 2zeus. No I haven't had it serviced. It's odd because the light is not in the manual and I cannot find much info on the alarm system in the manual. I think I will call Toyota later today. I was reading online that your alarm can be passive - the alarm is set automatically or manually - I have to turn it on. I think the alarm itself is not on.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America