miniature donkeys

Zanesville, OH

Any miniature donkey people out there? I'm looking to buy a pair of jacks in the spring and would love some tips.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't have any but a friend of mine does. He bred his pony mares to his jack and they each had cute little mule pony sized mules. One male one female. There were three of them but when my friend was in the hospital one got in with the big horses and got stepped on and killed. We were all so sad. It was by far the cutest. It was a little blue mare. My husband and I were the first to find her just as she was being born. Her back legs were still inside the mare and she was already trying to stand.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Just curious, why do you want a pair of jacks??? I don't know anything specifically about miniature donkeys, but 2 ungelded males of anything don't get along do they???? Isn't that what jacks are? Or are they gelded?

You'll have to excuse me. As I said, I don't know anything about donkeys. Miniature or otherwise. But, I adore them. Have you googled them? There are a lot of farms out there that raise them.

Would they be your first ones? Or do you have others? If the first, how have you prepared the pasture and shed/barn for them? Now, aren't they a natural predator of dogs/K 9s? Do you have any dogs? Sorry to be so inquisitive, but I have wanted some myself, but these are all issues I have read about.

Jeanette

Zanesville, OH

I really don't know much about them either, I meant I would want gelded males, but I don't know what they are called. I have done some research on them and I don't have any dogs so that won't be a problem. These would be my first ones so for not I would be treating them more like pets. they would have a three sided shelter and many acres of pasture land. Saw a pair of gelded jacks at an auction this winter they only ran for 250 each and were very friendly. I'm hoping to run into a similar deal in the spring.

Jess

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, Jess, maybe gelded are called Jacks. Jacks and Jennys. Don't know. You know, it is too bad someone in the know doesn't help you out here. I know with some animals, you would not want more than one for a while until that one got to love you. With 2 they might not be as friendly with you. No need.

If you google them you could find out more about them. Also, there is a Miniature Donkey newspaper I believe, that you could subscribe to. I am sure they also would have some for sale in those in the classifieds. Another thought, what about rescues? There are some of those out there also. I think there is also an "Association".

A lot of these I think are more for the breeders, but not all. Look in the locater files and see if there are any farms that raise them near you. Call them and then go visit. Also, look in the library for books.

Hope some of this helps.

Jeanette

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I don't know much about these either but have read about them a bit as I have contemplated getting a pair. I seem to remember they are very social and like to be with their kind, so getting two is a good idea. I have been told that they are so social that if you only have one, they will bond with other animals than their own type even. Don't know how true this is. It may have been true for just the one donkey this person had.

I have never read of any problems between min. donkeys and dogs! What specifically have you heard?

Gwen

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I hope you find some and let us all know about your adventures.
I have wanted some for a couple years now ,but DH says I have my quota of pets.
Some one here on DG said they live 45 years,DH also said he didn't want a pet that would out live him.
Don't know If you go to state fairs or not but here in Indy there are about a dozen breeders that show . That is where I first got the bug.They were friendly and answered lots of questions,showed me photos of ones for sale,and some have web sights.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

A jenny is a female ass. A jack is a male ass. If there is another name for a gelded male ass (other than gelding) I am not aware of it.

I don't have any indepth knowledge, just the ordinary stuff. Most of it also pertains to horses. Intact males seldom get along without fighting. One will generally establish his spot as dominant stallion and will tolerate another to a point but there will always be challenges and scuffles. As they are big animals, the scuffles can get ugly quick. Best to keep them apart or have them gelded, the latter being the best solution IMHO.

As far as predator control, they are great on them. If you establish the dog as part of "the herd" there will be no problem. They are docile but will keep out anything they see as a threat to the herd or as something that "does not belong".

Just a note. Don't think that because they are minis they will have small attitudes. They don't know they are small and can be just as stubborn as a mamoth jack. But they are lots cuter. :)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Jess, here is a great link for a newbie. All males are Jacks. They need either more than one, or other animals. 90% of them do not like dogs. All kinds of information here.

Jeanette

http://www.qis.net/~minidonk/donkdet.htm

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Completely different animal from what I was describing. I have only seen one miniature sicillian (sp?) donkey. It was at a horse sale last spring and sold for $300. It was a jenny and it was very cute. The minis here are bred down from regular sized jacks. A big thing here is to breed jacks to easy gaited mares and get a gaited saddle mule. They are selling for big money around the country. The judge at one of our saddle club's horse shows offered a friend of mine $10,000 for his blue and white spotted saddle mule. He kept his mule. He raised Spec from a couple of weeks old. He was taken off his dam because she was used as a replacement mare for a thoroughbred farm.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes Cajun, the mule is a totally different animal. Gorgeous and am I right when I think they breed a donkey to a horse to get a mule? I don't think they breed mule to mule do they?

There are not that many mules around this area, at least that you see often. There is a nice donkey close by and I really feel sorry for the little guy. The people built it a very nice shed and a nice, but small, fenced area, but no company. They even put it far away from the house. So it doesn't even have their company except when they feed it. It looks so lonely. Just stands there in one spot all day.

It is not a mini, just a very nice, pretty little guy. Don't know if it is a jack or a jenny.

Jeanette

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes. A mule is the product of breeding a horse to a donkey. The mule is sterile in both genders.

That is a shame to put the little guy in solitary as if he was being punished. That's what it amounts to. They are very social animals and he is being harmed by his being kept alone. Why do they have him if they do not care to interact with him? They should, at the very least, put a few chickens with him for company. the chickens could eat with him and just "be" with him. Chickens are good to have with horses because it helps the horses not to be nervous if they are prone to it.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I remember that the race track in Seattle used to keep miniature goats in with the horses. They said they calmed the horses. I don't know about the chickens. They would probably attract coyotes. But, I doubt that the people would take too kindly to my suggestions. I don't know them at all.

I wonder if a note to the humane society would be appropriate. I am not sure what they have him/her for. I noticed the first day of hunting season she/he was gone for several hours. Like maybe they got their deer and used the donkey to pack it out. Kind of weird to use it one day out of the year.

However, the county, nor any of the small towns, have humane societies. The county seat, the town, has an animal control officer and this animal would be out of her jurisdiction. I suppose I could call her and ask for suggestions. But she would probably tell me to mind my own business.

Jeanette

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Hi

A few years back I was contemplating getting a couple of donkeys and I wrote to The American Donkey & Mule Society, 2901 North Elm, Denton, TX 76201
They sent me alot of info such as where I could get videos on training, books, ect
Donkey Terms:
Ass: the correct term for the animal commonly known as the donkey, burro or jackstock.
Jack: term used for the male of the ass species
Jennet: the correct term for the female of the species. The more commonly used term is Jenny which is considered correct in non-technical use.
Gelding Donkey: the proper term for a gelded(castrated or altered) male ass. An informal term is John.
Mule Jack: Not a mule, but a jackass used to breed mares to obtain mules.
Jennet Jack: a jackass used to breed to jennets in order to produce more donkeys.

Hope this helps.
Sue ☺

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

If you like reading, you can read some of Jon Katz's Bedlam Farm books. He has border collies, donkeys and a whole mess of other critters up north (I want to say Vermont, but can't recall). The books are a good, fairly quick read, and he talks a lot about the animal personalities. It was from reading his books that DH and I decided we wanted a donkey or mule in the future when we have a place.

Recently on youtube, a family was out riding their donkeys and got attacked by large cats. The donkey kicked the cat's butt, killed it, while the dogs watched farrr away. Supposedly llamas, alpacas, donkeys and mules are all good to put in with your stock as they keep the larger predators at bay.

And sue...that's a lot of words to remember for just a few donkeys...lol! But I'm saving it for reference with my other animal tidbits :D

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Donkeys are great for keeping away coyotes. The minatures are too small and the Mammoth are too slow however the standard do well. Only use a gelded for this use! People from my area have used them to protect sheep, goats and alpacas. Also Llamas are good for this purpose.
Hineni, thanks for the tip on the Jon Katz books. I'm always looking for a good read. Have you read The Good Pig? I can't recall the author's name but it's a good book.

Gainesville, FL

What did you decide about the domkey?

I may not be good at farming or raising chickens, but i know my donkeys .Or did until we gave one away .

Donkeys use to be breed with bad stock in most cases . Today more attention is paid to breeding in quality.

I miss my 'Rosie'very much . A mule has too much horse in it for me , but I've seen some really beautiful and smart ones . I love horses too of course .

My horse got spooked, he ran away from us, my donkey ran to us and put her head on our chest and breyed like a baby, " gotta love her "!

For a pet and the best guard animal are two standard ginnys or a ginny and a donkey gelding .

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I loved The Good Pig. Is is actually called The Good Good Pig? Maybe, I can't remember, but it was such a fun book. Made me want a pig!
Gwen

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We got 2 new boarders at our barn yesterday. they are named Bathsheba and Balaam. Really good natured and friendly.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Very cool. Jeanette

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

If Balaam starts talking, be attentive (grin). I lost track of this thread....but no, I haven't read the Good Pig. And the local library won't let me have a card until I have a bill of some sort delivered here (sigh). So I toted many of my farm oriented books up here with me to keep me sane until I get a bill. First time in my life I'm looking forward to a bil...LOL!

We're thinking of a goat and a donkey or mule to put in the pastures to browse out the overgrowth. But, we don't have good fencing at all. I need to pop over to the livestock forum and find out if goats can be tethered near a shed and food/water, or if you have to have a barn. I do know that we have coyotes here, and I wouldn't want to put one at risk.

The horse seems content even though the fencing is less than adequate, but from what I've read on goats, that wouldn't be the case with one of those.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I would be interested in the answer regarding the goats. One of the people up the highway from me had a goat tethered for a long time and just kept moving it around. Seemed to work but then I don't know what happened either. Why they stopped.

We also have coyotes. Haven't seen cougars but know they are in the area. Also bears but not close since I don't have fruit trees.

Jeanette

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I have two goats ,and in my humble opinion it will depend on the goat. one does good being tied the other not,gets all tangled around and is always unhappy.
Tying them for a few hours is usually OK but they need a secure pen to sleep in at night.
A goat with horns can better defend themselves,mine are hornless pygmy goats.
It is easy to make a pen with cattle panels and T posts and my goats sleep in a dog house.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

This is their summer home .
When I went out to take this picture I thought a dog kennel would work great also. That is what the thing with the blue tarp on top was originally.
Goats do not like water,don't like to walk in it or the hose/sprinkler or rain ,so they need a place out of the rain.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks gus for the input. I get worried about animals, that I won't care for them correctly, or that they will be unhappy and hence destructive and driven to bad behaviors. We really NEED something to clear the overgrowth here, but I don't want to rush into anything and do something wrong. The purchase of animals is one area that I suffer paralysis by analysis on - most people seem to just get them and off they go with them. It's the one area in my life that I drag my feet on for some reason.

I guess it's because I got a dog once when the kids were little, and she was great. Trained well, great with the kids...but then the kids got older and I was working 60 hours a week or more and we had to leave her outside a lot. She dug and got destructive, and then ran away. I always felt soooo bad, like I had failed her somehow. The only reason I have a dog now is that it was a gift, and he's such a good dog (and small) that he's kinda my buddy.

Now we need outdoor animals, and I just worry that I won't do a good job, or the animal will get hurt or killed, and all sorts of things. I just want to be wise, so that even a stock animal gets a good home and has what it needs to be content.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Hineni, I'm the same way as you about animals. If I can't treat them really well, then.... I also like to investigate to death any topic so have been reading for 7 years now on chickens and still don't have any! Maybe soon. Just need a coop for them and would also like a tractor. Even tho we'd have a pretty big 'yard' for them, I don't like the thought of caging animals, so would want to at least be able put them in a tractor and take them about. The tractor would be smaller than the 'yard' tho so maybe they would prefer the yard. I would also try letting them free range but that will depend on how the dogs are able to accept the chickens.

I would love to have a pig, couple of goats, sheep, but probably never will. The biggest thing holding me back is who takes care of them when I'm away on vaca.

Gwen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I think Gus has a wonderful set up there for a goat. But, I don't think you all need to go to that extent. With chickens, I think it is good for them to be out and about during the day as long as they are locked in at night. Secure from the nocturns. i.e. weasels etc.

I think too everybody's situation is different. So, no cut and dried rules as to what has to be.

I do not like to see animals tied up. Penned in a large enough area is alright. But, there again, that is just MY opinion.

Jeanette

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, I'm 'cured' I guess - two Great Pyrs sitting in the cage in the living room after a short romp and back to work for me. We picked them up yesterday. I figure that gives me about 2-4 months to get the chicken and goat area cleaned and ready for them to work. Goats they are already socialized with, but not chickens yet. I wrote more about Bonnie and Clyde on the 'we're moving' thread in Farm Life.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sounds like fun. I will take a look. Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images