Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Christmas Cacti Care: Like-minded

Communities > Forums > Article: Christmas Cacti Care
bookmark
Forum: Article: Christmas Cacti CareReplies: 7, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ceeadsalaskazone3
Seward, AK

December 23, 2007
9:23 AM

Post #4321368

Geoff,
Of course, great article and all accolades to you. Being from and in Alaska I am also an "obsessive, compulsive collector of all oddball tropical and desert plants" which I torture into small, non-draining figural planters because I have litttle space and because I can. I absolutely drool over each picture you let us view having achieved flowering by being exact on the watering and placement and light in a 'very' few of my oddball creations. Grasmussen is a friend and has driven down from Anchorage and visited, while bird watching. Now I'm going to have to try for a cutting I see displayed. lol
Thank you for a thrilling article,
Carol
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 23, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4322632

Palmbob: You can have no idea how much I appreciate this article.
That's because you can have no idea how many sickly christmas cactuses I have down in my greenhouse that Ive been trying to save from their total demise. At least now I have a primer on what to do.

Thanks,

gloria
cacTYEpete9
Chester, NY

December 24, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #4324294

I concur that this was a most informative article! Just curious about what you think about my C.C. You can check out the pics, and let me know what I need to do (if anything) to make it even healthier!
Thanks...
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #4324534

Thanks so much for the timely article. I accidentally did all the right things with my CC so it looks great right now, but it definitely had some close calls. With your great information, it now stands a much better chance of surviving!
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #4324970

Thanks! Armed with your info, I shall now
try again!
Fitsy
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #7318493

Although my "Christmas" cacti have the holiday sprit, it's the wrong holiday. This year my red one decided to bloom on halloween and the pink one on Thanksgiving. Thanks for your tip on witholding water. Maybe that will slow them down.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7318556

This certainly was a helpful article for me. Now I know why I have killed all my Christmas Cacti. I put them in a bright sunny window with my geraniums and brugmansias. They all croaked. Probably didn't water them enough either. Next time I get a Christmas cactus -- and I am now determined to try again. I will go for less direct sun and more water! Yes, and mine have always bloomed at Thanksgiving just before croaking.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #7330657

Thanks palm bob, I injoyed the article. Have been growing Christmas cactus for several years now. One of mine was confused what season it was and bloomed this summer.Don't think it will bloom again this year. Sure injoyed it off season tho.
Vickie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Christmas Cacti Care Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Comparison between Schlumbergera hybrids trilian15 9 Dec 2, 2009 1:48 PM
Great Article Clare_CA 1 Nov 7, 2011 6:57 PM
wandering jew nikki24 1 Nov 30, 2009 8:02 PM
christmas cactus doridunn 0 Nov 29, 2009 2:52 PM
Family Heirloom Mrs_Ed 12 Nov 12, 2011 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America