Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bromeliads: Dying Bromeliads

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 1, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
macybee
Deer Park, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #4322477

I had a couple of Bromeliads that just died from the bottom with rot. They did not have the same "root" like I have on some others that I have had for years.
Possibly I need to plant them in a sandier soil. One was inside and the other was outside in shade. The ones I have had are in containers in regular potting soil and only watered them here and there. They do not take that much care. I did have some in shade and they were deeper green than those in more sun.
Help Me Please! Why are the others rotting?

The ones I have had for awhile were: Aechmea fasciata.
One that rotted was Guzman (? spelling)
This message was edited Dec 23, 2007 2:29 PM

This message was edited Dec 23, 2007 2:33 PM
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

December 24, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #4324453

Hey Macybee ...

I use a mixture of 2/3 orchid seedling potting mixture and 1/3 humus. Bromeliads want a mixture that drains fast, allows aeration - and stays slightly moist. I also pot everything in clay orchid pots - the ones with the slits in the sides. This allows for as much watering as I want - without drowning them

When you mix garden soil with shade - you get very wet conditions that promote rot. Remember that most bromeliads are epiphytes ... they grow on trees - where the roots never sit in water.

Your Guzmania may have just run it's natural life span - and not thrown any pups. Did it ever flower ... and how long have you had it?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All!

John

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America