Photo by Melody

Article: Oh My Darling Clementine! The Christmas Orange and its Spanish and Mandarin Origins: Thank you!!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Oh My Darling Clementine! The Christmas Orange and its Spanish and Mandarin Origins
bookmark
Forum: Article: Oh My Darling Clementine! The Christmas Orange and its Spanish and Mandarin OriginsReplies: 15, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #4323771

There is just nothing better than a good orange or tangerine. You sound like maybe you know a place from which to order these? I haven't seen them in the better grocery stores yet. (we don't have really good produce at the grocery store)
I have better luck along the county roads stopping where the men in pickups have been down to the valley of Texas loading their trucks to come back and sell produce.
gail
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2007
8:30 AM

Post #4323897

Thank you for the wonderful article. We just picked up another box of these lovelies today. They are so yummy. I didn't realize they could be prepared in so many ways. After I read this, I googled and I've discovered new recipes I want to try. Darn, means I'll just have to buy another box...LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #4324202

i love clementines. Did I say that loudly enough? I LOVE CLEMENTINES! When I was growing up, we also had Christmas oranges, hard to peel, no fun to eat when there was so much CANDY available! Tangerines have a great flavor but way too many seeds for me. As a young adult I discovered clementines, which I introduced to my family, and we all assumed that they were a new hybrid. what a surprise to learn they've been around for so long!

xxx, Carrie

This message was edited Dec 8, 2012 2:33 PM
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #4324426

Your article is beautiful as well as the photos - I can almost smell them !

Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #4324606

Great article!! I love these little guys.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #4324920

Oh my Darlings, Clemintines!! I have bought 2 boxes so far this month. Safeway had them on sale for $3.99 a box...and Frys for $4.99 a box. I went into Safeway one day and asked the Produce Manager if he had Clemintines...Yes...but at $8.00 per box...I told him I would wait for the sale...he said he'd put them on sale that week end...so back I went!!

I really enjoyed reading your article, Daiseyavenue...but I l Love your chocolate pies too!! LOL Merry Christmas...Jo
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 24, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #4324932

Hip hip hooray for those darlin Clementines! We all love them, and enjoyed your article!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #4325009

Now if I can just find them. We have only one grocery store chain for all of south Texas up to San Antonio and down to the valley. It is locally owned in Corpus Christi and doesn't tolerate any competition.

I will find them in one of the cities. So glad you brought this to our attention!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

December 25, 2007
5:52 AM

Post #4325624

Great article, Michelle. My mother always put an orange in our stockings, too. As a child, it was a tradition she treasured - though I doubt she had Clementines in Philadelphia all those years ago (she's 93).

Oh, yes, Jo - those chocolate pies! :-)

Kathleen

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4326620

My silly husband doesn't like clementines, so I am forced to eat his, too. I make do somehow.
x, C
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 25, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #4326742

Ahhh Carrie, the sacrifices we make in the name of wedded bliss. So good of you to spare him...☺
Ponditis
Lincoln City, OR
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2007
7:45 AM

Post #4327506

I LOVE Clementines and can't wait to get some from a special friend/pseudodaughter/pseudobabysister who has a tree that is very loaded with them who lives in Long Beach. She threatened me with them and I have so far resisted them in the store since their price this year is terrible here. Hint Hint and you know who I mean. LOL

My parents too would put oranges or tangerines(my favorite over orange) into the toes of our stockings and my mother once explained to me that at Christmas when she was growing up they got oranges in their stockings each year and it was the only orange they would get for the entire year since the price was cost prohibitive for her parents to buy. She was born in 1913.

I started seeing Clementines in the grocery stores on the Oregon coast in the early 1980s and bought some then. I don't think I have bought another Mandarin orange since I got my first Clementine. They are sweeter and the lack of the seeds is a huge bonus.

Thanks Daisy,
Lani

daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 26, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #4328766

Thanks for the compliments and the shared enthusiasm, ya'll!

Gessiegail- I don't know where to order them unfortunately.

Wish that everyone could have had a clementine in their stocking yesterday morning!
leemiller38
Stockton, CA

December 7, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #7345616

Thanks for all that info. I too experienced getting oranges and tangerines in my Christmas stocking about 65 or more years ago. It was a family tradition that no doubt goes back to the early days of the citrus industry developing in CA.
I also have a Clementine and I think they are likely ready so I am going right out and try one even though it is raining here. I gained a greater appreciation of the fruit, thanks to your article.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

December 19, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #8267484

I had to run, not walk, to my orange colored string bag in the kitchen and get my snack after reading the wonderful article!!! These are absolutely the BEST - and I am a new devotee. Citrus fruit had fallen off the charts of my preferences because I abhor the peeling issues. Then - I tripped over honey tangerines - which although very much seeded - were easy peeling. Trying to convert my brother to said honey types, he said "but, but" and explained his love affair with Clementines. Change isn't easy, but once tasted and tried, the transition happened!!!!!!! MMMMMMM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9353075

Memo to self: find a place in TX that sells these gems and buy them in time before Christmas! (Enough for everyone who will be having a stocking with us...)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Oh My Darling Clementine! The Christmas Orange and its Spanish and Mandarin Origins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Festive, fun. and timely story! tabasco 2 Dec 26, 2007 7:38 PM
clementines geraldine87 0 Dec 8, 2008 1:15 PM
The Christmas "orange" oldleander 1 Dec 7, 2009 1:56 PM
Growing Clementines from seed fwiley 0 Dec 7, 2009 4:25 PM
In Spanish Naranjo means orange grove Marcelde 0 Dec 7, 2009 5:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America