Photo by Melody

Article: Growing Roses from A-Z (Part I): high society and social climber (JP)

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Roses from A-Z (Part I)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing Roses from A-Z (Part I)Replies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
psull
Brighton, MA

December 24, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #4324850

i planted these climbers 2 years ago on a trellis against a brick chimney and the problem i'm having is (are) weak peduncles that won't support the bloom.
they get full sun and good water. i've been doing roses for 20 years but have not faced this problem before.
Any help would be appreciated.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
11:48 PM

Post #4325133

1st thing in the spring get a soil test of those beds.

We need to know what's going on in the soil chemically.

Paul
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4325245

Psull,
This is interesting because I have had a similar problem with my ( JP) Social Climber also. I have some canes that support blooms well and others not. Not as many blooms as I thought it should have either.
I know we have completely different growing environments, but it's interesting we have similar problem with the same Rose.
I am not very experienced with Roses, but I did test my soil before planting. I amended the soil according to the instructions in a book called "You Can Grow Roses in Florida." 1978 by Linus Olson.
All in all I have not found this Rose to be nearly as vigorous as my Don Juan, which is planted near it. The blooms are wonderfully scented and color is nice . So I do enjoy the ones I have gotten.

Paulgrow, enjoyed your article and looking forward to the rest of the series!
Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with as a solution for Psull's Social Climber problem.
I think mine might need a little more sun. The neighbors tree has grown a branch that now extends over the fence to the point that it is shading my Roses a bit too much, especially the Social Climber. I'll get that branch trimmed before Spring and then see how that Rose does this next year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Roses from A-Z (Part I) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article doccat5 7 Dec 22, 2007 1:46 AM
your new series of articles loubarr 2 Dec 25, 2007 12:28 AM
Growing Roses A - Z t1turner 2 Dec 25, 2007 4:50 AM
Ash from Zaca Fire fertilizing Roses tallflower 4 Jan 4, 2008 5:24 AM
knock out roses schyberg 0 Dec 25, 2007 5:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America