What will you bring to the manger?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

This year I can bring a new little heifer to snuggle next to the Christ Child and warm Him with her silky hair and a flock of cardinals to decorate the trees outside the stable.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

This year I can bring some small gourds for Mary to make rattles out of to keep that very special little one entertained.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I will bring some bales of hay for the animals that surround the Babe. Our hearts in song too, for He has brought us through so much this year.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I'll bring blankets made of the softest lamb's wool to keep Jesus, Mary and Joseph warm.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I shall bring some tea and biscuits to warm the weary travelers and to share with all who come to wonder at the Babe.

Blessings to all of you. -Karla

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I shall bring gentle, gaited horses so the Holy family can travel in comfort when they leave Bethlehem.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Any thoughts of bringing this lovely thread back for this year? If so, I have a sweet song to bring :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOJb6uOF05Q&feature=related

Hugs to all, Dea

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I will bring a kitten to share his humble bed. The soft fur and warm purr should lull him off to sleep.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We'll bring sweet scented clover hay for the manger and four fat puppies to warm his feet.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I will bring sweet laying hens to sing to the Holy family and lay eggs for their meals.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

A nice big pot of home-grown chicken and posole for all...
with green chili, naturally.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I can bring some wood from my forest to build a small fire for warmth and light.

London, United Kingdom

Dear Kathleen, may I wish you and your family a Happy Hogmanay!
I have been asked what a Hogmanay is so here goes, what I would like to bring!
Hogmanay is what the Scottish look forward to all year, it means Happy New Year in Gaelic!
An integral part of the Hogmanay partying, which continues very much today, is to welcome friends and strangers, with warm hospitality and of course a kiss to wish everyone a Guid New Year. The underlying belief is to clear out the vestiges of the old year, have a clean break and welcome in a young, New Year on a happy note.
"First footing" (that is, the "first foot" in the house after midnight) is still common in the north. To ensure good luck for the house and land, the first foot should be male, dark (believed to be a throwback to the Viking days when blond strangers arriving on your doorstep meant trouble), and should bring symbolic coal, shortbread, salt, black bun and whisky. The coal means to bring you and the family warmth in your house. The shortbread is meant to symbolize that your family has food for the following year, salt an essential part of life and wealth. Black bun is like a Christmas cake, the seeds (raisins, sultanas etc), to wish fertility on the family and your crops for the following year! The whisky no one can remember, which is not surprising!
I went first footing with my Uncle in Conset, County Durham, he told me to count how many houses we had been to, I cannot remember much after 37, for the whisky is drunk till it is gone by family and friends, and theirs as well.
A guid New Year to ane an` a` and mony may ye see!
Regards from a practiced first footer!
Neil.
p.s. a photo of the famed cake tonight, or morning now!

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

And a Happy Hogmany to you and yours, Neil. If you don't mind, I've copied your post and am sending it to my dad. I think he'll like it.

London, United Kingdom

My Dearest Kathleen, of course I don't mind you copying my post, you may do whatever you so wish with it.
As I love your writing and we live thousands of miles apart, I just thought that you may be interested in it, or how it is done properly.
The cake is always made on the 5th of January! That is because it has to rest to whole year, every week the bottom is pierced all over with a skewer and whisky is poured in. Then it is wrapped up and left till, the following week when more alcohol is poured in, this must go on until Hogmanay, it is strclty adhered to!
The reason being is that; on Hogmanay, in the early hours the cake is eaten by all, that therefore is the sign of the end of an old year, and the blessings of a new one!
You could not have Hogmanay without a piper so here is a picture of one of ours outside Guilford Cathedral!
Regards from a cold England.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images