Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Oh My Darling Clementine! The Christmas Orange and its Spanish and Mandarin Origins: Festive, fun. and timely story!

Communities > Forums > Article: Oh My Darling Clementine! The Christmas Orange and its Spanish and Mandarin Origins
bookmark
Forum: Article: Oh My Darling Clementine! The Christmas Orange and its Spanish and Mandarin OriginsReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
11:19 PM

Post #4325095

Hi, Michelle!

So fun to read your story about 'clementines'! We always have them in the fruit bowl over the Christmas holidays, too!

And we were first introduced to them when we lived in London way back in the early seventies--we bought them from the fruit mongers in the street market and they were so delicious! At that time, I think they were brought in from Israel or Algeria and sometimes were sold along with 'satsumas', another delicious tangerine type fruit. For so many years clementines were hard to find here in the States but my husband would insist that I find a source and we often had to mail order them from afar.

(This link talks about satsumas a bit http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/produce/citrusguide.html )

I'm using them peeled and seeded in a Sherry Trifle we're serving for our Boxing Day buffet! (I'll try to post a picture!)

What a treat to read your article and thanks for all the research--we often wondered why they weren't readily available in the States in past years...

Merry Christmas!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #4326756

OK, now I'm convinced to try these! I've seen them at the local Kroger grocery store, but didn't pick up any, because they were expensive and small...but they sound as tasty as candy, only good for you. And that's gotta be worth it. Thanks for the info!
daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 26, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #4328797

Oh...Satsumas are SO good and a bit more difficult to find here.

Happy Holidays!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Oh My Darling Clementine! The Christmas Orange and its Spanish and Mandarin Origins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you!!! gessiegail 15 Dec 8, 2012 11:31 AM
clementines geraldine87 0 Dec 8, 2008 1:15 PM
The Christmas "orange" oldleander 1 Dec 7, 2009 1:56 PM
Growing Clementines from seed fwiley 0 Dec 7, 2009 4:25 PM
In Spanish Naranjo means orange grove Marcelde 0 Dec 7, 2009 5:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America