Photo by Melody

Bromeliads: Bromeliad with pink flower and striped leaves, ID?

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 11, Views: 272
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tervherd
Lima, OH

December 24, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #4325104

Could someone please put a name to this plant? I'd appreciate any culture info too.

Thanks!
Sharon

Thumbnail by tervherd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Johntique
Winter Park, FL

December 25, 2007
1:32 PM

Post #4325859

Hi Sharon ...

Looks like one of the many clones of Aechmea Fasciata available today. This will do well in filtered sun. Check the base of the plant - it may already have started throwing out "pups" ... tiny new plants that emerge from the base of the parent plant. Bromeliads only bloom one time - after/during which time the plant produces pups. When these are at least 1/3 the size of the parent - cut them off very close to the base of the host and pot them separately; they will go through the same cycle as the parent plant. I like to plant in a mixture of 2/3 orchid seedling mix (available at most garden centers that sell orchid supplies) mixed with 1/3 very good potting soil. I use clay orchid pots - since bromeliads want excellent drainage and aeration at the roots. Keep fresh water within the natural reservoir of the plant - and be sure to change it weekly; as long as the water is fresh - it won't cause rot or decay to the plant. Water the potting medium to keep it moist. If you use the above potting formula - you won't overwater the plant. One word of warning ! ... there are a gazillion varieties of Bromeliads available - and they are all extremely habit forming ! ... so proceed at your own risk.

John
tervherd
Lima, OH

December 27, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #4329826

Thanks for the addiction warning. I'm a confessed plant junkie. I have about 80 orchids and maybe the same number of cacti & succulents. I've bought a bromeliad or two in the past but never took the time to learn how to grow and bloom them.

I checked and no pups. Is it likely that it may still produce pups?

On the plus side since I grow orchids I have the orchid seedling mix AND orchid pots. Am I correct in assuming that these puppies (pun intended) will be happier outside with the orchids in the greenhouse?

Thanks also for the help and advice!
Sharon
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

December 27, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #4331013

Hi Sharon ...

You bet ! Being epiphytic - like so many of your orchids - the cultural needs are similar. Good air flow is essential - the same as for orchids. I often bring blooming plants into the house to enjoy the flowers - but return them to the outside after a week or two (or three ... or more) - depending on the species.

Your plant should produce pups; Aechmeas are pretty reliable ... and most of mine send out anywhere from two to five pups at a time. I currently have an Aechmea "Samurai" with eight pups at the same time! They are like the Forest Gump box of chocolates ... You never know what you're going to get!

I have a strong feeling you aren't finished with bromeliads. Check out -Bromeliadworld.com - ( heh! ... heh! ... heh!) That is my evil diabolical laugh (or reasonable facsimile thereof). These plants are just as addictive as orchids.

John
JimsGarden
Oshawa
Canada

January 18, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #4421635

Hi John: I bought a Bromeliad about 5 years ago and have re-potted it a couple of times. Is it possible for these plants to become rootbound? The plant is huge and looks like it may need re-potting again. It does not blossom very often and produces only 1 pup every year or so. Another reason for my suspicion of it being rootbound. The plant has 5 adult shoots in the soil in a cirle all connected at the base. Should I separate these and put them all in separate pots? If so, how do I accomplish this without losing any and where do I separate them and how please?

Regards // Jim
JimsGarden
Oshawa
Canada

January 18, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #4421653

Hi John: Before you ask what type of Bromeliad I have, it is a Aechmea. I really do not want to lose this plant, so any knowledge would really help. Thanks John:: Regards // Jim
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 4, 2008
7:32 AM

Post #4493201

I have an Aechmea fasciata that my daughter gave me for xmas about 4 years ago. In my climate I can put them in the garden, so I did. It has flowered and pupped prolifically ever since and I am now starting to remove and pot pups as gifts for other friends and family this xmas. (Getting an early start!)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Johntique
Winter Park, FL

February 4, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #4493685

Hi Jim ...

Aechmeas don't usually become "potbound". In nature - they are epiphytic - and they use their roots primarily to "hold on" to their perch, whether a tree branch, rock, or whatever. Consequently - the issue of being potbound doesn't influence how or when they will flower or pup.

Your parent plant will only bloom one time. You can remove the pups when they are at least a third as large as the parent. Read the beginning entries on this thread for more info. on potting and soil mixes.

One of the great points regarding bromeliad culture is that they are incredibly resilient - very much like orchids. They let you know when things are "going south" - so that you can rectify whatever is wrong before you kill the plant!

John
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

March 31, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #4736168

I'm pulling this up for Jennifer!

John
Lotsalilys
Maple Heights, OH

March 31, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #4737234

Johntique, what will you ever do with all those Samuri pups, hint hint.
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

April 2, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #4745012

Greetings all ...

Hi Lotsalilys! I am keeping 3 of the pups attached to each other for a multi-headed plant which will bloom simultaneously ... perhaps in time for a show. The others are potted up for our sale table at our brom show which takes place on Mother's Day weekend. I normally "grow out" the pups on the more desirable species to sell at shows.

John
TheAngelGirl
Coushatta, LA

July 20, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #6840290

i use to have one,but it died on me i guess i watered it to much and the heat got to it too,because i would put it outside during the summer.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America