Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Christmas Apples: Wonderful story!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Christmas Apples
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Christmas ApplesReplies: 10, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2007
7:32 AM

Post #4325709

You are a gifted writer and painter, and I thank you for sharing these gifts with us this Christmas. Love the childhood picture, too! I really enjoyed your family history story. I could picture the rows of jars and smell the earthy aroma of that cellar, and I could taste the crisp sweetness of those wonderful apples!

My best achievement this year has been maintaining a high grade point average at school, setting an example for my son. He graduates from high school, and I will graduate from college about the same time in spring.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2007
11:25 AM

Post #4325767

Jeremy I loved your story; a life like that seems more than a lifetime ago.
I am thrilled that Hetty's Joy counts as your major achievement this year and that I could contribute in a small way to its birth.
My major achievement for this year has to be the continued help (through diligent fundraising) I was able to provide to a young family whom I met by chance last year. Briefly: the father has leukemia and the family is criippled with medical bills. They have managed to keep the wolf from their door with the assistance and generosity of many in the gardening communities on the web.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2007 6:25 AM
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2007
6:51 PM

Post #4326367

I always enjoy your stories, Jeremy. The painting shown was beautiful, I would love to see more of your work.

I, too, have sat on a wooden seat precariously over that stinking cesspool below. Though I was lucky enough to have actual toilet paper ;) I do remember the cold breeze from below in the winter, brrrr!!! There's nothing like it. In my childhood did plenty of creek running, catching minnows, crawdads, and other critters for inspection. What fun that was. As we've talked about before, Jeremy, my husband was born and raised very close to where you were, in the same county. So he too has some of the same memories and experiences. His family lived from the garden, had large families, and large get togethers at his grandparents house every Sunday after church. Coming from a small family myself these get togethers can be a little overwhelming but fun, too :) Every Sunday is like a family reunion.

My 2007 highlight would be the volunteer work I've done for the WV National Guard Families. I've been to deployments where my friend and I set up a kid care room to keep an eye on the little ones while Mom and Dad were busy taking care of paperwork. And have been to troop arrivals where the tears flowed and smiles abounded, my own included, wouldn't have missed either for the world. To top those I was a volunteer at the WV Natl Guard Kids Kamp last summer which was my first year and a great joy that I'm so looking forward to repeating in 2008. At the end of the week the camp director asked how many kids had a family member who was deployed, would soon be deployed or had just returned from deployment and the hands raised just floored me! 3/4 or more of the 200 kids there raised their hands. I am so appreciative of our troops and all they do for their country. They do what we don't even want to think about all in the name of freedom and democracy. I know the sacrifices they and their families make daily, everyone should do what they can for the troops. You don't have to believe in the war to support the troops, they can only do what they're told.

Jeremy, thank you for sharing your memories and experiences from your childhood. I wonder if dh or myself have ever had one of your, however many greats, granddaddys' apples. That would sure enough be a treat. Happy Holidays to you Jeremy, hope you have a better emotional year in 2008. I hope that for myself, also.

Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings to all,
Lana
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 25, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #4326602

Jeremy, a wonderful walk down the roads of memory with you and your family. A gentle reminder to us all of what is truly important - to keep our loved ones close whether in our arms or our hearts, and to always value the experiences that made us who we are.

Warm wishes for all this holiday season.

Thanks Jeremy!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #4326637

Truly lovely story, Jeremy, thank you.
xxx, Carrie
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #4326837

Jeremy, I loved your story about your family. Thank you so much. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2007
4:41 AM

Post #4327371

Jeremy I was thinking of you yesterday as Jon and Teri left for JAX.
Low and behold I run into this touching Tale.
Thank you Sir... for sharing it and in such marvelous fashion!
I knew you were a talented Artist ... but you might just be a better Yarn Spinner! ;-)

Have a Wonderful Christmas my Friend and an even better New Year!
Ric
juja
Lake City, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
12:01 PM

Post #4327575

Jeremy - you are so gifted and such a wonderful, caring, sharing person.

I enjoyed reading your story as it brought back memories of past experiences with my family and how the "little things" back then were so important. It's somewhat sad on how commercialized and materialistic society has become.

I have tried in 2007 and will continue in 2008 to "go back" somewhat and try to recondition myself take the time to treasure and appreciate the moments and the little things in life that go unnoticed.

My friend, I hope you had a good Christmas and I wish you the very best for the coming year. May God bless and Thank you.

Judy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #4327858

Thanks, all, for your kind comments and for sharing some of your own "Christmas Apples" of your achievements this past year. Gardeners, I think, are probably the most giving and generous people, possibly because we know we can turn dirt into useful commodities and understand the giving and receiving cycles of Nature.

It is wonderful to have made so many good friends, such as you, in my few years of being a part of Dave's Garden. In many ways, for me, our community here is much like the community into which I was born. It's very incredible that we can now use computers to form bonds that were made, just a generation ago, only by being next door neighbors.

I do look forward to a bright and prosperous year ahead for us all! Keep up the great work!

Jeremy
bocaginger
Coral Springs, FL

December 26, 2007
2:26 PM

Post #4327870

Thank you Jeremy for sharing so much of yourself, not only in this article, but throughout the time you've spent on Daves. Driving to Jacksonville to meet you this year was a highpoint of the year, and we hope to do it again in 2008.

Your memories your childhood brought back such fond memories of mine. It is so nice to have a childhood filled with plants. I hope to give that to my grandchildren as well.

Wishing you and Christine a wonderful holiday filled with love and peace!
MicheleJolie
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #4329528

Thanks for writing and posting this story, Jeremy! Like all of your creations, it's a gorgeous blend of spirit and matter.

Best wishes to you and Christine for a bountiful New Year.

Michele

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Christmas Apples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you for sharing! doccat5 2 Dec 25, 2007 9:17 PM
Southern Traditions gloria125 1 Dec 26, 2007 2:24 PM
Absolutely , LOVED CSMMaMaw 3 Dec 29, 2007 1:22 AM
Christmas story selrodjx 1 Dec 29, 2007 1:17 AM
Thank You! VGMKY 3 Dec 31, 2007 4:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America