Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Wedding flowers gallery

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 115, Views: 1,170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #4327702

My favorite thing to do with flowers is arrange them for weddings. Just wanted to share some of my pictures from a wedding I did a couple of weeks ago. Special thanks to Gemini Sage for all the ideas on making these flowers work for a winter wedding with a burgundy theme. The bride had requested wine color roses for herself and pink roses for the bridesmaids. Never thought pink would work for a winter wedding, but I was able to incorporate some winter foliage to make it work.

Here is the bride's bouquet. Burgundy roses, green cymbidium orchids, and seeded eucalyptus.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
Click the image for an enlarged view.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #4327708

Bridesmaids bouquet of pink and red roses, wax flower, hypericum berries, and amaranthus
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #4327710

Sorry I left out the bouquet. Here it is.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #4327720

Groom's boutonniere. Red rose with variegated pittosporum, seeded eucalyptus, and bear grass
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:34 PM

Post #4327727

There I go again. Sorry. . .

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #4327741

It is customary in our culture to provide boutonnieres for members of our family as well. I only had 20 of these to do. I've done 75 bouts for a wedding before. It was a huge extended family.

Cherry girl rose with variegated pitt and hydrangea florets.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #4327758

This message was edited Jul 16, 2013 11:11 AM

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #4327759

Close up of the pew markers.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:48 PM

Post #4327768

I was able to pull some flowers together for a large altar arrangement. I have to admit, it is not my strong point. I have never gotten the hang of making large pieces. This is what I was able to throw together.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #4327779

After the ceremony, we brought all the pew markers to the reception hall where we used them as centerpieces. She saved me time and I saved her money.

Roses, stock, dahlias, amaranthus, lisianthus, wax flower, and bear grass

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #4327785

Another centerpiece with an additional hydrangea. One of my favorites because I love hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #4327796

Bouquet of roses, ranunculus, bear grass, seeded eucalyptus, amaranthus, bells of ireland, and curly willow

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #4327802

Because of the last minute changes to the church, I was unable to fill this tall vase with flowers. Instead I used it to light a floating candle instead for the sign in table.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #4327808

These were little extras from the pew markers. I stuck them in places where the table cloths gathered. This one is the cake table.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #4327810

Last, but not least. . .the cake!

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #4327816

Well, that's it. Thanks for viewing. Hope you've enjoyed the pictures.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #4327948

Fabuluous!!! I love those arrangement. I've 5 children who haven't walked down the altar, will you take the honor to provide flowers when they do? Please, please.
Kim
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #4327982

Simply beautiful!!! Sure did enjoy seeing them. : ) Got more?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #4327999

Good morning Ella, long time no type. Hope you've had a wonderful Christmas.
Kim
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #4328004

Stunning! You did a beautiful job.

Martha
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #4328051

Wonderful job! Using the floating candle in the tall vase was very clever and effective. You did a very fine job with the large altar arrangement too, and every time you make a big one it gets easier. I used to have a terrible time making standing funeral sprays and dreaded them. Finally I started asking to do every order for one that came in, and shortly got confident and efficient at making them. The more you do, the easier and better they get.
Thanks for sharing!
Neal
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
4:55 PM

Post #4328402

Karma,

Just beautiful, you do amazing arrangements! Great pictures too.:~) C
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #4328460

Well Lana, I just added this forum to my favorites. Beautiful arrangements. I too will need you when my son gets married. Where do you find those fabulous roses? Thankyou for letting us see your wonderful work. I had no idea :)

Morning everybody

Debbie
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #4328795

Starlight, thanks! I have more from this wedding, but they all are pretty much the same designs. I don't want to bore you, but I will see if I can find some pics from other weddings and scan them.

Kim, I would be honored. . .as long as I get to play in your beautiful gardens. Ooooh, a garden wedding would be just lovely.

Martha, thanks for dropping by with your comments. I have the whole MS in here now. . .LOL.

Neal, thanks for the encouragement. You are right about practice makes perfect. Unfortunately I left the shop before I could learn everything there was in making large arrangements. I don't have many opportunities to make them now. . .unless I buy my own flowers. . .and that would cost a fortune. I wish the pay was better for a floral designer. . .I would leave my boring job for sure.

Thanks Cath, you are a sweet lady!

Debbie, don't you wish we can grow those roses? They are florist roses that are greenhouse grown. They are either from California or imported. Thanks for stopping by with the compliments. Hope to see you around the cut flower forum more often. There's not a lot of traffic around here.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 26, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #4328997

Karma, the whole wedding flower collection is fabulous, well done! I love the huge Dahlias.
You did really well, with the large arrangement sprung on you at the last minute.I agree with gemini-sage, the more you make the easier they become.
Thankyou for bringing lovely people to our forum Karma! I hope they stick around!!!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #4329078

Wow!, Karma, your arrangements are amazingly beautiful. They are very impressive.
Now I gave 2 floral gurus (Terri's the first) :)
Adele
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2007
10:53 PM

Post #4329262

Terri, thanks for your good review. If you've seen what I had in mind for the big one, you would see how far off I was.

Adele, thanks! What a big compliment, but I don't think I'm anywhere near guru status.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #4329403

Hey, this is your incentive to plant some flowers for cutting, and you can practice all you want and keep the home and work place cheery!
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #4329455

Lana, if you have your business license, (only cost around $25.00) you can purchase your roses at wholesale. If you are interested, send me a dmail. Also, if you want to go with me to Chamblees 2008 expo, I bet you could get in with them too. That would be an awesome trip. http://www.chambleeroses.com click on 2008 rose adventure for details

Debbie

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 27, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #4329462

Adele, Karma is right, but thanks anyway!!!!

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 1:34 AM
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #4329767

Neal, that's my plan. I will be trying to sow seeds. . .mostly cut flowers. . .so wish me luck. I arrange better than I can grow flowers.

Debbie, all you need is a business license? Don't you also have to have a florist license?
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #4329877

Lana,

You have to get an occupational license(business license) from your parish. Then, with that in hand, you go to your state revenue office and get a sales tax certificate. I don't know if you have to have a florist license to sell arrangements. But I doubt it.

I know when I opened my drapery shop I had to get a business license and a tax license. I did not have to get a Designer or Decorators license. The state tax license opened all the doors to the wholesalers. Your work is beautiful and most of your business will come from word of mouth. Believe me, when you are dealing with peoples homes or weddings, they only trust recommendations from friends.

Debbie
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4329881

Karma and Terri, you two are being too modest. You are both fantastic designers. I want to learn to do what you can do. That makes you two my gurus.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 27, 2007
3:36 AM

Post #4330235

Karma, don't you have flower markets?
I sometimes go to a wholesale flower market, they have a £5.oo entrance fee, anyone can go there.
I don't go that often because you have to buy the whole box, not small bunches.
When I was doing my floristry course, we sometimes got the flowers from the wholesale place and shared them, usually for wedding or funeral arrangements ,where lots of flowers were needed.

Adele, you are kind!! stick with us and we will all learn new stuff, It's nice to work on projects together and see how everyone comes up with something different.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
2:32 PM

Post #4331033

Terri, I'm not going anywhere. This is so much fun. I also think it's nice to work on projects together and see the outcomes.
What's our next project?
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #4331136

Debbie, I'm not sure if I can purchase wholesale flowers with just an occupational license, but I know that you need a florist license to sell arrangements. If they will be put in vases/containers, then you have to have a florist license. Louisiana is the only state in the US that requires a florist license. That's why I do flowers for fun. . .until I have time and courage to take the exam. To get a florist license, you have to pass a written test as well as a practicum.

Here's an interesting read: http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/May-June-2004/scene_joyce_mayjun04.msp
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #4331357

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Now you know, seems to me like the existing florist have someone in the testing office. What a neat way to run out competition. I am the type that would gather as many of the people that haven't passed the test or are afraid to try to take the test, and go stand on the steps of the state capital and make sure news crews are around to report it. There is one thing that absolutely peels my skin and that is injustice. That is so sad. But now that I have said that, like the lady The Lord wants me to be, I will straighten out my southern jacket , lift my head, and give you some good advice. Go down there and take the test and PASS, just to show them. Your arrangements are beautiful. And you are smart as a whip, so get the study materials. There is no reason for you not to try. If other people have passed, so can you. This link gives you some insight as to what they are looking for. Study it well and go for it. The talent you have is God given and He will help you. When I first started out, He showed me everything. He is an artist you know. Anyway He lead me to a lady that taught people how to make top treatments. I contacted her about patterns for swags. She said she had books and top treatment patterns and that it cost $300.00 I think for them. Well, I took a very big leap of faith and bought them. That $300.00 yielded me only one swag pattern that I could use and it has made me thousands of dollars over the years. So pray and go for it.

Thumbnail by Debbie2007

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2007
6:32 PM

Post #4331830

Karma,
I just read the article you posted about the floral exam." ...Call me bitter, but I have to wonder: Does Louisiana really need to protect its teens from off-center corsages? And does it make sense that wedding bouquets have to be built according to stricter codes than most apartment buildings in New Orleans, and with such elaborate wire infrastructures that they might well outlive some of those buildings?"
I agree,the exam does seem absurd. Don't worry about what the article states. It was written to prove a point. It's not about your ability to pass the exam.
I think you should immerse yourself and read everything you can on the subject, study and take the exam. Your floral designs are magnificent. They are magical and I believe encompass all the elements of design.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #4331855

I agreed with diggerette whole heartedly. Go Lana, I know you can do it. When you're ready. I've taken exams and board certifications many times over (though, not on floral design), if you study, focus, and eat well the day of your exam. You will do well. It's a gift that you're blessed with. If that's where your passion is, you'll excelle.
Kim
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4332420

Debbie, your drapes are so gorgeous. Talk about talent!!!!

Lana, listen to your good friends. They are voices of experience.

Martha
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #4332473

Karma.. I have to agre e with Diggerette. I have seen alot of crazy rules for alot of crazy things, but that one for being a florist in LA is totally rediculous. Looks to me more like somebody trying to feather their pockets.

Shoot I send flowers to people all the time. I willl call the receiver or when they call me I wil ask how the arrangement was and the flowers. If there is a problem and I know I not the only person, then ya just call the florist back and tell them about it. If they repuitable they wil make a correction or do a refund or something and ya learn not to use them again.

Havign to have a permit to sell flowers in a grocery store. That so unreal.

You have a lot of talent and if I can get my degrees at 54 than you can get in their and do it too. Go for it. Either that or I would suggest ya come to state s that don't have just crazy rule s and reg's and a place to where you can put your talent to good use and make some money while ya doing it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #4332530

Hello everyone, Meet Ella, my mentor (I'm so proud to have met Ella sometime past). I elected her my mentor, although she doesn't know it. Ella, meet my big group of Mid-South friends and family.
Kim
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #4332804

Thankyou for the compliment kind Martha. :)

Hi Ella, so nice to meet you.

Debbie
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #4332989

Not kind, Debbie. I just say it like it is.

Hi, Ella. Glad you joined us. You pursued your degrees at 54? That's gutsy!

Martha
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #4333570

Wow oh wow, I didn't expect this sort of response. Thank you all (Midsouth says y'all) so much for your support. I feel so very encouraged to take this exam. But I can't seem to find my paperwork to order the study guide. Oh well, I will have to get another packet sent. This will be the third one I've requested in 5 years. . .hehehe.

Debbie, your drapes are gorgeous. Did you do the bedding too? So luxurious and rich. That room is fit for royalty. You are a talented lady! "I had no idea!"

Adele, "magical". . .what a beautiful description. I never thought of it that way before. Thank you.

Starlight, I live close enough to Mississippi. . .maybe I could do weddings on the weekends over there. Congratulations on your degree. What an accomplishment at 54! My dh will graduate in 1.5 years and they call him gramps! He's only 33! I'm totally impressed with you Starlight, or shall we call you Ella? If Kim calls you mentor, then I will call you Master Mentor!

Martha, I am taking it all in.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
7:32 AM

Post #4333996

Hi all! Nice to meet ya and nice to meet so many talented people. I may know plants and diseases, but I sure wish I had some of you all's talents. Lots of real creativity and talent I see. Love looking at everybodys work. : )

Hi Kim!!!!! Always glad to help when and where I can. I can grow em, but sure wish I had the garden layout talent you have.

DrapeLady... Lovely work and not easy I know. I can't even sow on a button and make it stay. Gotta love Dave's if only for all the diversity of talent that abounds around here. Better than going off to a craft show to look at stuff.

Karma... If your that close to MS why not consider maybe finding just a tiny place to rent and opening a tiny shop just on the weekends to start. You could take some fresh arrangements, small bouquets and arrangements and take some of your bridal pics and blow them up and make a whatever the book is folks look for your weddings.

You coukld put together a very simple comfy shop and build it up. If you had a tiny place to rent you could take your little one with ya with some toys . If ya got it going good enough then you could consider moving over there. But I coudl be wrogn on this but don't think so and maybe MWPERRY ( Martha) would know or coudl find out, but if you rent a small plac e then you could get you a busines s license which should allow you to be able to buy wholesale. You'd probaby just have to have the flowers deliver d to your shop is all or take a copy of license with you to the wholesale market.

Next best thing would see about a flea market or a farmers market over the line and go sell on saturdays there. Would be a way for folks to get use d to you to build a clientel and you could squirrel away your sale s if need be to rent a small place acros s the border.

Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #4334697

Thankyou all for the compliments on my work. Yes Lana, I do it all. The reason that I showed the pic was to encourage you. The first thing the Lord taught me to sew was a fabric lampshade and see what it grew into. If it is made of fabric, and I can see a picture, I can usually make it. (With prayer):). Not clothes, however. I don't like making cloths. So I say go for it. Order your new packet and we will cheer you on from the side lines.

Debbie
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #4334799

Thankyou everyone! I have been telling Karma she has wonderful talent right from the first arrangement of hers that I saw. With all our encouragement maybe she will realise her true potential. Keep up the great work Karma!

Debbie, your drapes are beautiful, thankyou for showing us.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2007
8:17 AM

Post #4337256

Karma, all I can say about your arrangements is magnificent!

Next, TAKE THAT COURSE YOUNG LADY.

Finally, Terri, heed your own advice.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #4337301

Starlight, thank you for the ideas. I have a full time job with benefits and a retirement plan at the moment while dh is in school. By the time he graduates, I would have my floral license ready (thanks to all of you for the push) and will take the idea of owning my business more seriously. I have always liked the idea of selling flowers at a farmers' market. An old dream of mine was to grow the flowers and sell them, but only spring will tell if I'm capable of growing flowers.

Traci, thanks. Happy to see you girl.

Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #4338321

Karma,
Sounds like your destiny is all mapped out for you! Full time job, mother of a young son, gardener, student and budding entrepreneur ~ you go girl!
If you want a partner in your floral business, count me in!!
A Star of Bethlehem, from a Christmas arrangement - just for you.:~)

Thumbnail by Gardnerkett

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
9:51 AM

Post #4374608

Beautiful arrangement with the Star of Bethehem, Thankyou Gardnerkett !

I haven't made that many Wedding designs, I prefer to work on larger arrangements without all the wiring!
Here is my 'Victorian Posy' each flower individually wired!

Thumbnail by terriculture

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #4374610

side view

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
9:55 AM

Post #4374611

Victorian Posy with lace collar.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #4374614

Wired bouquet with ribbon's and carnations.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
10:00 AM

Post #4374615

Wired bouquet with roses

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
10:02 AM

Post #4374616

Pomander

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
10:04 AM

Post #4374619

Tablecentre

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #4374621

Wedding cake top,decoration

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #4374692

Oh my goodness Terri, I bow down to you. They are magnificient!! The Victorian Posy is over the top beautiful. It's so great seeing beautiful flower designs before going to work. Thank you!
Adele
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #4374723

Thank you Adele, I'm off to work now too!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #4376536

Terri, thank you for sharing your wedding arrangements. It's great seeing different wedding designs. I want to attempt pomanders as pew markers next, but it seems very time consuming. How long does it take for you to complete one?
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #4378282

Beautiful!!!!!!! The pomador is my favorite. : ) Oh how I would love to have a bunch of them just hanging around.

Got more? : )
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2008
12:02 PM

Post #4378755

Pomadors!! They smell so good. I think I'll try to make one too.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 10, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4383581

Thankyou Karma, Star and Adele,
The pomander took me about 2hrs the first time. You need a round ball of floral foam, and lots of flowers all cut the same size, approx 2" stems, and ribbon or pearls to thread through the ball.
I may have a few more wedding designs in my folder, not sure, will have to check.
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #4390761

Terri, lovely, lovelier, loveliest! It's hard to decide, but I think my favorite is the Victorian posey.

Martha
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 12, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #4390990

Hi Martha,
How are you? nice to see you back over here! If you fancy a cuppa,we are in the cafe most days.
Thankyou for the lovely comments on my wedding designs.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #4391086

Hello everyone, how is everyone doing? Lana, I hope everything is going well for you. Martha are you keeping warmth with this off and on cold spells we get. Hi Terri, hope you're having a nice day.
Kim
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 12, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #4392441

Hi Kim,
sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I've been watching my football team Liverpool today, it was 1-1 and a another disapointing game! Apart from my DH having man flu! and the freezing cold, everything is fine Thankyou! How are things in your neck of the woods?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #4392729

Things are going well here in our neck of the woods. It's a lovely day, sunny but a bit chilly. I hope your DH will feel better soon.

Looking out of the window, I can see these 'water chickens' swimming. It's a peaceful view.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 13, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4393129

I wouldn't mind staying indoors admiring a beautiful view like that Kim!
Thanks, I hope he will be over it soon, there seems to be a bug going around over here.
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
6:07 AM

Post #4394729

Kim, gorgeous view of the lake (and the chickens!). So deep blue. What a stress reliever.

Hi Terri. A cuppa would be nice.

Martha

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #4395290

Thanks Martha, it was a little toocold yesterday, but the wind is once again calm, we might take a boat ride for sight seeing around the area. It's good to see you posting.
Kim
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #4399034

Hey Kim. I have not been around for a while because I've been busy with taxes. My Dad's estate settled in 2007, and it's been rather complicated, even with the help of an accountant. There are so many returns to file . . . my Dad's personal federal tax return for this year in which he died, the estate federal tax return, and the federal tax return for the Trust. Now, double those returns to be filed with the State. Whew. Anyhoo, it's good to be back online!

Martha

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #4399983

Ah, I don't like paper work. Hope you're having a good day everyone.
Kim
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #4402031

Hi Martha and Kim,
I would make you both a cuppa, but Karma wouldn't want any spills near the wedding flower's!
Please join us in the cafe, the first drink is on the house! I would do the link thingy for you , but haven't mastered how to do it yet!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #4403422

While ya'll are all here, I should put a few more wedding pics in here. This was my friend's wedding. Her theme was red and chartreuse with touches of gold. My fave was the cake.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #4403436

Bridal bouquet of roses, orchids, and variegated greens. . .it seems I'm a sucker for that combination.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4403444

Corsage and matching boutonierre

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #4403452

Presentation table centerpiece: Tulips and limes

This message was edited Jan 14, 2008 8:42 PM

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4403456

Apples and roses

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #4403462

Pew marker

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #4403478

Groom carrying the bridal bouquet with matching boutonierre

Edited to say. . .ooops. . .duplicate pic!

This message was edited Jan 14, 2008 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #4403606

That's what I'm missing. . .the bridesmaids' bouquets. Here they are:

Thumbnail by karmaplace

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #4403803

Wow, how gorgeous!!!
Kim
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2008
6:37 AM

Post #4404272

Lana, all I can say is "recherché"!

Martha
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #4404753

Thanks Kim. Thanks Martha. . .I think.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #4404843

Fantastic! A+++
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #4407290

Karma, I love the varigated foliage!! You have such a great talent. You are still going to do my next wedding when I marry myself aren't you? I am still doing it in the spring. You need to do a spring wedding anyway.
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #4408475

Traci, you are soooo funneeeee!

Lana, how about "lavishly elegant and refined"?

Martha
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #4408749

Traci, we are still on gf. We have to decide on the colors. Martha, I forgot to say that I googled it afterwards and was like, WOW, THANK YOU! Although a lot "research" companies popped up. LOL
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 22, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4848860

Hi Karma! Love all your wedding designs. I'm looking forward to the next wedding so much!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #4853377

This message was edited Jul 16, 2013 10:59 AM

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4853380

Church aisle

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #4853385

Sign in table: Viburnum, bells of ireland, tulips, callas, and lisianthus

This message was edited Jul 16, 2013 11:01 AM

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #4853387

Table centerpiece

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #4853390

Table centerpiece 2

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #4853394

The dreaded arrangement for the altar

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #4853399

I was sort of burned out at the end. . .it shows in the cake. I'm disappointed with the cake top. It was too small and short for the cake, I think.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #4853504

Karma, Once again you did an incredible job. I think all the pieces you did were magnificent. Get your license!!!!!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #4854412

Thanks Adele. I'm really procrastinating in getting my license, but eventually I will.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #4856212

Beautiful, karma! Sumptuous colors and textures! I think the cake turned out great, the simplicity of the flowers works very nicely with the design of the cake. Sometimes I think things turn out better when we can't spend too much time on them.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 24, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #4858773

Think you did really well, love the colour scheme, so fresh looking. Your alter arrangement is lovely. Is that snake grass you used for the table centre piece? very nice. I think the cake looks perfect, just the way it is, keeping the square shape. Well done Karma! and thanks for sharing all your hard work.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #4863574

Thanks Neal. It means a lot coming from you. . .a veteran designer. Thanks so much for introducing me to wesflora. They are really great.

Terri, I've never heard of snake grass. Probably the same as what I call "horsetail"? Thanks for saying the cake looks good. I was a little worried about it.

Someone walked away with 2 of the most expensive arrangements that were in my large square vases. Won't be getting my vases back, but I learned a big lesson. Charge for all materials. Oh well, just gives me an excuse to buy better ones.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 28, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4873511

Sorry to hear someone took your arrangements and vases, that is terrible. How could someone do that at a wedding?
There are some bad eggs out there!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #4877248

Sorry you had to learn a lesson the hard way - go figure, stealing things at a wedding of all things??? Shame, shame, shame.
Aside from that I can see why they would want them, they are gorgeous. That "dreaded" alter arrangement is perfect. The rows of flowers like the rows of isles and row down the middle for the bride and groom - what a great idea!
The table arrangements are a perfect match, modern and classic in design.
I must admit I am not crazy about the cake, but I mean the cake itself, not much on the squares looks too building block for my taste and not crazy about the ribbon of green going around, but that is just my personal taste jumpin in. I do believe that it required a simple tasteful topper which is what you provided.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2008
9:26 AM

Post #4880785

In the town I moved from last year, it has become standard to lock up all the bridesmaids jewelry and purses during the weddings because time and again they were pilfered through and valuables stolen right out of the churches!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #4880911

That is so wrong! People never cease to amaze me!
Susie2
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5441623

Just discovered this thread. My granddaughter informed me last night she is getting married Nov 22 this yr and wants me to handle the flower arrangements.
PANIC TOOK HOLD. I have never done wedding arrangements but I did have enough mind reason to ask where, when, how many, what colors and how formal. My son and dh are doing the cooking, again very informal, so I need to check on wedding cake makers. No mother of bride involved. I make cakes but not nearly confident enough for a wedding. I don't decorate pastries.
Read all this thread and am very impressed with suggestions and comments, but now I really need to get serious as this date is not that far off.
The colors will be pink and chocolate with stargazers as flowers and will be held in a church. I really need some suggestions as to what flowers could be used as chocolate.
I do have a floral license so wholesale is not be a problem.
I appreaciate any and all help.
Susie
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5442008

I would use something like cattails as they are a nice chocolate brown and accentuate arrangements well and are great dried for keepers. Just a suggestion, sure you will many more.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5457966

Hi Susie. Cattails as suggested by haighr would make really nice accent pieces as well as provide some vertical interest. "Leonidas" roses comes to mind. It's a two tone rose. . .chocolate and a rustic yellow (?). There are also orchids that are brown, but I don't know what kind they are. Check with your local florist/wholesaler for availabilty. MIni calla lilies come to mind as well. They may not be completely brown, but the varying shades of brown look very interesting. For a fall accent, some berries would be really nice. Gemini_sage is really good with color combinations and wedding flowers so hope he will chime in.

In the meantime, here is a link to some websites I like to browse for wedding flower ideas. http://www.wiggyflowers.com/designers.html

Have fun with all the planning and please share some pictures when you're all done!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 1, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #5950621

Happy New Year Karma!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #5957752

Terri, thanks for the lead here!!

(All that chatter on the licensing in LA...whoooo! Sounds like the government wants in EVERYONES pocket. Most states I think simply require a business license which you buy to set up your business local and a then a state tax registration. And there are certifications for becoming a florist to which you can even do that through a correspondence class or through vocational training. But you may have to check with your state business board if they approve if there is any state licensing nvolved with tests! The state tax number though is what you present to your wholesalers to get your break. But anymore, if your state is like mine, you end up paying a use tax in the end so sometimes it is easier on the paperwork to get good retail deals and not hassle with all the paperwork...but a chat with your accountant could clarify things as how to keep the records. Business these days gets to be so complicated! It really puts a damper on our "dream" jobs! It is just like nursermans license, there is no test, you just buy it and they come do inspections on your nursery and greenhouse. The issue with florists though is you are handling produce and so you may also be required to have a nusrserymans license to sell live plants depending on your state and of course country!)

Karma, What wonderful arrangements and bouquets and caketoppers too! Your huge alter arrangement is magnificent!!

All awesome ladies! And so wonderfully fresh!

So many brides today are opting to having their weddings at their homes and in their gardens and to save money they are opting to make their own fresh or silk bouquets and such. The silks give them keepsakes and many incorporate both. As for gettign a good deal on florist supplies and such, I personally find eBay the way to go, but you do need to inquire many times as to if the products are from a non smoking non pet environment, but wow, the deals can be tremendous there.

Cross thread back here and do come on over to the "Nosegays and Flower Bouquets, Something old and Something New" thread! Terriculture has joined me and we are carrying tradition there too! And bring more!!! Don't let this thread get lost in cyber space!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #5958184

Happy New Year to you too Terri. Blossombuddy, thanks for popping in. I appreciate your comments and helpful advice. Here's the link to nosegays and flower bouquets. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/938332/

I'll be back to start a new weddings thread with some new pics from a recent wedding I did. The theme was deep purple and silver. It was really fun working with those colors.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 2, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #5958286

Hi Karma, Im looking forward to seeing your latest wedding pics, deep purple and silver sounds like a great combination.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #5958462

Here's the new link to wedding flowers 2. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939202/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America