Wedding flowers gallery

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

My favorite thing to do with flowers is arrange them for weddings. Just wanted to share some of my pictures from a wedding I did a couple of weeks ago. Special thanks to Gemini Sage for all the ideas on making these flowers work for a winter wedding with a burgundy theme. The bride had requested wine color roses for herself and pink roses for the bridesmaids. Never thought pink would work for a winter wedding, but I was able to incorporate some winter foliage to make it work.

Here is the bride's bouquet. Burgundy roses, green cymbidium orchids, and seeded eucalyptus.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Bridesmaids bouquet of pink and red roses, wax flower, hypericum berries, and amaranthus

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Sorry I left out the bouquet. Here it is.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Groom's boutonniere. Red rose with variegated pittosporum, seeded eucalyptus, and bear grass

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

There I go again. Sorry. . .

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

It is customary in our culture to provide boutonnieres for members of our family as well. I only had 20 of these to do. I've done 75 bouts for a wedding before. It was a huge extended family.

Cherry girl rose with variegated pitt and hydrangea florets.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

This message was edited Jul 16, 2013 11:11 AM

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Close up of the pew markers.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I was able to pull some flowers together for a large altar arrangement. I have to admit, it is not my strong point. I have never gotten the hang of making large pieces. This is what I was able to throw together.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

After the ceremony, we brought all the pew markers to the reception hall where we used them as centerpieces. She saved me time and I saved her money.

Roses, stock, dahlias, amaranthus, lisianthus, wax flower, and bear grass

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Another centerpiece with an additional hydrangea. One of my favorites because I love hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Bouquet of roses, ranunculus, bear grass, seeded eucalyptus, amaranthus, bells of ireland, and curly willow

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Because of the last minute changes to the church, I was unable to fill this tall vase with flowers. Instead I used it to light a floating candle instead for the sign in table.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

These were little extras from the pew markers. I stuck them in places where the table cloths gathered. This one is the cake table.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Last, but not least. . .the cake!

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, that's it. Thanks for viewing. Hope you've enjoyed the pictures.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Fabuluous!!! I love those arrangement. I've 5 children who haven't walked down the altar, will you take the honor to provide flowers when they do? Please, please.
Kim

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Simply beautiful!!! Sure did enjoy seeing them. : ) Got more?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good morning Ella, long time no type. Hope you've had a wonderful Christmas.
Kim

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Stunning! You did a beautiful job.

Martha

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wonderful job! Using the floating candle in the tall vase was very clever and effective. You did a very fine job with the large altar arrangement too, and every time you make a big one it gets easier. I used to have a terrible time making standing funeral sprays and dreaded them. Finally I started asking to do every order for one that came in, and shortly got confident and efficient at making them. The more you do, the easier and better they get.
Thanks for sharing!
Neal

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Karma,

Just beautiful, you do amazing arrangements! Great pictures too.:~) C

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Well Lana, I just added this forum to my favorites. Beautiful arrangements. I too will need you when my son gets married. Where do you find those fabulous roses? Thankyou for letting us see your wonderful work. I had no idea :)

Morning everybody

Debbie

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Starlight, thanks! I have more from this wedding, but they all are pretty much the same designs. I don't want to bore you, but I will see if I can find some pics from other weddings and scan them.

Kim, I would be honored. . .as long as I get to play in your beautiful gardens. Ooooh, a garden wedding would be just lovely.

Martha, thanks for dropping by with your comments. I have the whole MS in here now. . .LOL.

Neal, thanks for the encouragement. You are right about practice makes perfect. Unfortunately I left the shop before I could learn everything there was in making large arrangements. I don't have many opportunities to make them now. . .unless I buy my own flowers. . .and that would cost a fortune. I wish the pay was better for a floral designer. . .I would leave my boring job for sure.

Thanks Cath, you are a sweet lady!

Debbie, don't you wish we can grow those roses? They are florist roses that are greenhouse grown. They are either from California or imported. Thanks for stopping by with the compliments. Hope to see you around the cut flower forum more often. There's not a lot of traffic around here.

london England, United Kingdom

Karma, the whole wedding flower collection is fabulous, well done! I love the huge Dahlias.
You did really well, with the large arrangement sprung on you at the last minute.I agree with gemini-sage, the more you make the easier they become.
Thankyou for bringing lovely people to our forum Karma! I hope they stick around!!!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow!, Karma, your arrangements are amazingly beautiful. They are very impressive.
Now I gave 2 floral gurus (Terri's the first) :)
Adele

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Terri, thanks for your good review. If you've seen what I had in mind for the big one, you would see how far off I was.

Adele, thanks! What a big compliment, but I don't think I'm anywhere near guru status.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey, this is your incentive to plant some flowers for cutting, and you can practice all you want and keep the home and work place cheery!

Lana, if you have your business license, (only cost around $25.00) you can purchase your roses at wholesale. If you are interested, send me a dmail. Also, if you want to go with me to Chamblees 2008 expo, I bet you could get in with them too. That would be an awesome trip. http://www.chambleeroses.com click on 2008 rose adventure for details

Debbie

Adele, Karma is right, but thanks anyway!!!!

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 1:34 AM

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Neal, that's my plan. I will be trying to sow seeds. . .mostly cut flowers. . .so wish me luck. I arrange better than I can grow flowers.

Debbie, all you need is a business license? Don't you also have to have a florist license?

Lana,

You have to get an occupational license(business license) from your parish. Then, with that in hand, you go to your state revenue office and get a sales tax certificate. I don't know if you have to have a florist license to sell arrangements. But I doubt it.

I know when I opened my drapery shop I had to get a business license and a tax license. I did not have to get a Designer or Decorators license. The state tax license opened all the doors to the wholesalers. Your work is beautiful and most of your business will come from word of mouth. Believe me, when you are dealing with peoples homes or weddings, they only trust recommendations from friends.

Debbie

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Karma and Terri, you two are being too modest. You are both fantastic designers. I want to learn to do what you can do. That makes you two my gurus.

Karma, don't you have flower markets?
I sometimes go to a wholesale flower market, they have a 5.oo entrance fee, anyone can go there.
I don't go that often because you have to buy the whole box, not small bunches.
When I was doing my floristry course, we sometimes got the flowers from the wholesale place and shared them, usually for wedding or funeral arrangements ,where lots of flowers were needed.

Adele, you are kind!! stick with us and we will all learn new stuff, It's nice to work on projects together and see how everyone comes up with something different.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Terri, I'm not going anywhere. This is so much fun. I also think it's nice to work on projects together and see the outcomes.
What's our next project?

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Debbie, I'm not sure if I can purchase wholesale flowers with just an occupational license, but I know that you need a florist license to sell arrangements. If they will be put in vases/containers, then you have to have a florist license. Louisiana is the only state in the US that requires a florist license. That's why I do flowers for fun. . .until I have time and courage to take the exam. To get a florist license, you have to pass a written test as well as a practicum.

Here's an interesting read: http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/May-June-2004/scene_joyce_mayjun04.msp

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Now you know, seems to me like the existing florist have someone in the testing office. What a neat way to run out competition. I am the type that would gather as many of the people that haven't passed the test or are afraid to try to take the test, and go stand on the steps of the state capital and make sure news crews are around to report it. There is one thing that absolutely peels my skin and that is injustice. That is so sad. But now that I have said that, like the lady The Lord wants me to be, I will straighten out my southern jacket , lift my head, and give you some good advice. Go down there and take the test and PASS, just to show them. Your arrangements are beautiful. And you are smart as a whip, so get the study materials. There is no reason for you not to try. If other people have passed, so can you. This link gives you some insight as to what they are looking for. Study it well and go for it. The talent you have is God given and He will help you. When I first started out, He showed me everything. He is an artist you know. Anyway He lead me to a lady that taught people how to make top treatments. I contacted her about patterns for swags. She said she had books and top treatment patterns and that it cost $300.00 I think for them. Well, I took a very big leap of faith and bought them. That $300.00 yielded me only one swag pattern that I could use and it has made me thousands of dollars over the years. So pray and go for it.

Thumbnail by Debbie2007
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Karma,
I just read the article you posted about the floral exam." ...Call me bitter, but I have to wonder: Does Louisiana really need to protect its teens from off-center corsages? And does it make sense that wedding bouquets have to be built according to stricter codes than most apartment buildings in New Orleans, and with such elaborate wire infrastructures that they might well outlive some of those buildings?"
I agree,the exam does seem absurd. Don't worry about what the article states. It was written to prove a point. It's not about your ability to pass the exam.
I think you should immerse yourself and read everything you can on the subject, study and take the exam. Your floral designs are magnificent. They are magical and I believe encompass all the elements of design.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I agreed with diggerette whole heartedly. Go Lana, I know you can do it. When you're ready. I've taken exams and board certifications many times over (though, not on floral design), if you study, focus, and eat well the day of your exam. You will do well. It's a gift that you're blessed with. If that's where your passion is, you'll excelle.
Kim

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Debbie, your drapes are so gorgeous. Talk about talent!!!!

Lana, listen to your good friends. They are voices of experience.

Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.