Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: First time to wintersow

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 10, Views: 163
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #4328263

I think today's the day. I just can't wait until January and it's only a few more days. As soon as I eat lunch I am going to sow my platycodon granddflorus 'Sentimental Blue' that I saved last fall. I'm using 4 gallon milk jugs and am planning on 4 or 5 seeds in each jug. Does that sound about right? I don't have anymore perennial seeds to do but will order and do more later.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #4328268

Sounds great to me!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #4328274

Me too...I'm getting things set up to start, I need to clear the kitchen table...LOL
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #4328526

Seeds are sown and on the patio. Cut a flap instead of cutting off top and it was a little difficult getting seed inside but I use a pencil eraser to sow small seeds and hope I got them where they should be. It would have been easier if the top was all the way off. We'll see, right.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2007
6:58 PM

Post #4328704

Well I was so anxious that I W/S'ed 17 containers on the 22nd and 12 containers today! So relaxing to play in the dirt ( while the pumpkins played noisily with their new toys and games) and dream of Summer blooms!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #4329110

I feel sort of like being a slacker with my four but am so happy. You are lucky to have pumpkins to play around the place. All mine are grown up with some grown up pumpkins of their own. We have only 2 little people in our group now an 8 year old and a 17months old. Christmas was fun but tiring for Nanny
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #4329114

For tiny, tiny seeds use an old salt shaker filled with play sand, add your seeds and shake them out on the soil surface. It will give you a better pattern and better germination. Gentle press the seeds down and lightly cover with soil. I water from the bottom up for those type.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #4329134

Indy~ thanks, I have to remind myself of that sometimes when the 4 pumpkins are at ceiling volume and I want library voices. LOL!!

Doccat~ that's a good idea, I keep reminding myself after the fact. as I do have an old salt shaker and plenty of play sand!!
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #4329142

I always start in mid January, when we get our coldest weather. I'll have my hands in the dirt in a few days though. -I didn't get my bulbs in the ground before I went away for Xmas, so I'll be planting 300+ tulips when I get back on the 28th.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #4329152

Think I should do a couple more with a salt shaker? I forgot that I had read that. The pencil eraser works well, you just moisten the eraser and dip it in the seed and get one on it and place it in the soil and barely touch it until it comes off. I have sown impatien seed that way but I was concerned today with reaching in to the jug and placing the seed. I might try more and compare. Isn't that the idea?
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #4341730

Indynannyof8:
Quoting:It would have been easier if the top was all the way off.

You don't want to cut the top of completely, but leave a portion un-cut, so it acts as a hinge. Otherwise, you'll have to go matching tops and bottoms of milk jugs and it can be a pain! Make it easy on yourself!

Quoting:Think I should do a couple more with a salt shaker?

Old salt shakers come in very handy when working with very small seeds. It helps to take the strain off your eyes and fingers. Just shake, pat down the seeds, lightly cover with extra potting soil, water gently (that's very important or the seeds will shift), drain the container & set outside. Voila! All done!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America