Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: New to scrapbooking..Help & ideas welcome

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 9, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2007
6:49 AM

Post #4333971

Hi,
My G/daughter is expecting twins the 1st of July but they will probably be early.
I am starting a scrapbook for them. All I have so far of course is ultrasounds & E-mails from their mother.. By the way they are in VA & I am in Alabama so I won't get to see them much. I just hope she will keep me up to date on them.

I am having to do it all digital as supply are too expensive for me. I am using PSP & elements off the web...there is lots of scrapping things there & I have thousands of tubes. Would it also be helpful to buy one or 2 of the scrap booking programs? I saw one mentioned from Hallmark & a couple of others. Are they worth the investment? Ink is the biggest cost. So far I have used card stock paper but that may not be too wise from what I'm reading. I do plan on putting the pages in plastic protection before adding to an album.

I haven't had time to read all the post here yet as I just found this forum & it is bedtime. Tomorrow is another day & I'll do it.

I am also sending my Granddaughter a copy of each page. I don't know what she will do with them but at least she can see them,

Thanks for any help & ideas,
Dar AKA Sugar_fl

edited to add a little to it :)

This message was edited Dec 28, 2007 1:05 AM
LincolnRose
Hood River, OR

January 3, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #4357029

Talk to your granddaughter about her pregnancy and keep notes! What names is she considering? Does she crave anything? Has she picked out the outfits she wants to bring the babies home in? Why did she pick those particular items? What is she most nervous about being a new mother? What is she most looking forward to? Are the babies active in the am or pm?

My kids love looking through their scrapbooks and seeing what I almost named them etc.

Just some ideas!
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 13, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #4394531

When I first started out I used to do ALOT of things off of the computer. I would do image searches and print them out for graphics. Just be sure that anything that is going to be in contact with your photos is acid free. Find a site that shows each stage of the fetus and print out pictures. Put them in the book along with how your GD is feeling at the time. Maybe she can send you an email with her thoughts and feelings. Also add a journaling of what you are feeling as you anticipate the birth of your grgrchild.

As far as the programs, I have never used any of them so I can't say if they are worth it or not.

Don't know if I helped but I added my two cents worth.

Sheri
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4422423

I just made a similar book for my niece and her baby in October and I didn't use any digital items for this one. Although I am sure you could definitely come up with some cute idea using digital scrapbooking. Here are some ideas I put in the book I gave them:

1. A picture of the hospital with a print out map from Mapquest from their house to the hospital. I journaled the pages too, so I added a tag that just said "I was born here on...2007."
2. A page with the TOP ten songs of the day and the week from the day she was born and I added some musical embellishments.
3. I had a page of pics from when my niece was a little girl. I titled the page... BEFORE I WAS A MOM... I also made a similar page for the dad and titled it BEFORE I WAS A DAD. I thought it would be cool for the baby to see that stuff.
4. I had a close up of my niece and her protuding belly.
5. I had a page that listed every date they had a doc appointment and what the appointment was for and I inserted a small envelope so they could stick all their appointment cards in there.
6. The day of the ultrasound when they found out boy/girl, I had an entired page devoted to it. Basically titled IT'S OFFICIAL -- IT'S A GIRL!!! And had that ultrasound attached and embellised with pink ribbons and buttons.
7. I also saved the shower invite and attached that to a page with some of the pictures I took on that day and attached the invite and thank you card to it too. I knew someone else might make her a shower book, but even if they did, I figured so what, this is just a small reminder on the journey.

I'm sure you're book is fabulous, but it's always fun sharing ideas with other enthusiasts isn't it? I wish I had taken some pics before I had given it to her, but I was sooo excited to give it to them.

BTW, for digital scrapbooking, I like the Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 4.0 by Nova Development which retails on their site for around 40.00 but you can get it cheaper if you google for it. I prefer to go straight thru Nova since I don't like putting my private card info on sites with which I am unfamiliar. Good luck on your project, it sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun!!!

Megan :)
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
9:05 AM

Post #4455685

Thanks for all the neat ideas..

Now I have a new question... I am trying to scan some letters & get them into PSP but they come out so large that I have to reduce it then the writing messes up. I see where I can reduce it from the scanner but that didn't work for some reason. I want it in PSP so I can add some embellishments to it.. any ideas? To me these letters are important & I want to make them pretty.
TIA,
Dar
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 26, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #4456084

I guess I don't even know what PSP is?
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #4456645

Not sure either what it means either sjweld.

Sugar... Are you referring to Paint Shop Pro? I don't know much about that program but my sis in law uses it. All I know is she converts everything to JPEG before she prints, which of course doesn't help you. If you are talking about Paint Shop Pro, I would email their customer service department (or call them). Good luck.
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #4457620

Yes I mean Paint Shop Pro. I believe it is more of a scanning problem
than Paint Shop Pro. Then again I did it somehow once but can't do it again. I'll keep trying.
Dar
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4457763

I finally figured out what I did (duh) I went to open office..edit select all... upped the font to 13(was 12)
EXPORT to desk top (left all settings alone) Then took it it into Paint shop Pro.. whew.
I writing it down this time but don't think I'll forget.
Thanks all,
Dar
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #4457919

Great, I'm happy you figured it out! It's the pits when when not being able to finalize a really great idea or page layout.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America