Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum! The Holiday's Over--What Now?: Great information

Communities > Forums > Article: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum! The Holiday's Over--What Now?
bookmark
Forum: Article: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum! The Holiday's Over--What Now?Replies: 11, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #4335208

I'm so glad you shared this story, cutting the tree into parts for cover & later for vines never crossed my mind.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #4335406

Great ideas for the habitat use - and I love the idea of using it to hold outdoor bird feed for a few months!! Very fun to read!
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #4335789

Great information, Toni. I especially liked the suggestion about putting the tree outside to function as a bird and squirrel feeder. I always hate to just discard my Christmas tree, so your suggestions for recycling it are much appreciated.
But what about the "tree fairies"?
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #4336041

CapeCodGardener--LOL!

The fairies don't mind being outside--they just object to being pitched out a second story door!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I had fun with this one!

Toni
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 29, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #4336107

Great ideas there Toni! Thanks for the timely tips!

Yokwe,
Shari
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

December 27, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8278504

Yes, great ideas. I loved this article.
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8278755

We also take our tree down on the 6th of January. It was a tradition in southern Germany where I grew up - a catholic holiday called "Heilige-drei-Könige". Children and youngsters would get dressed up as the 3 holy kings and sing at peoples' houses for a donation for a charity organisation.
I had kind of forgotten about that tradition, especially as it had become muddled in my memory with my grandfathers birthday on the same day, but remembered it a few years ago and re-introduced it to my family as the "official" day of taking the deco down.
I will try out your idea of 'planting' the Christmas tree for the birds this year! Perhaps I'll just leave it in its stand as we frequently run out of snow in fickle winters of southern Ontario!
Thanks for a lovely article!
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #8280155

Thanks for your comments!
Spikelet
Ludford
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2010
2:07 AM

Post #8283105

In the UK the tradition is to take down the tree (and all the other decorations) on 12th night which is the 6th January. It's bad luck to leave them up any longer.

We always chop up the tree and use the smaller pieces as kindling - they really burn well but they spit too. The bigger pieces of trunk also go on the fire eventually.

Our garden was full of very large Christmas trees when we moved in 10 years ago as a previous owner had tried to farm them. They we 20+ feet tall by the time we moved in and had never been looked after. What do you do with 60 partially bald Christmas trees? In the end we kept the best and cut down the rest over the years. The small bits went through the shredder and made wonderful mulch for the flower borders and some of the trunks went on to the log pile. And we had some fantastic bonfires on Guy Fawkes Night.
smhscholz
Erie, PA

January 2, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #8951705

Another use for the tree is to make a bird feeder for the birds. Cut the trunk into 1 foot lengths and cut the branches off but leave about 4 inches so birds can perch on them. Then drill holes above the branches and smear peanut butter and such in the holes. Hang with an eye hook. There are many recipes for adding to the peanut butter, using cornmeal, oats, raisins, lard (suet).

tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #8952456

Nice idea, smhscholz!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9370179

I guess there are no other Russians here. The Russian Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar, 13 days behind the Gregorian Calendar, so our Christmas was celebrated on your January 7th, a day after the rest of you took down your decorations.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum! The Holiday's Over--What Now? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Other ideas clo100170 1 Dec 28, 2010 6:16 AM
What to do with your Christmas tree. spuddabudda 1 Dec 28, 2010 6:16 AM
New Orleans way with Christmas trees aalake 0 Jan 2, 2012 10:52 AM
What to do with your dead X-mas tree? GKK 1 Jan 3, 2012 4:36 AM
Christmas trees for the holidays 3pmp 0 Jan 3, 2012 1:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America