Photo by Melody

Ornamental Gourds: Cool things made with Gourds...?

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 30, Views: 541
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2007
6:07 AM

Post #4337120

Anybody else want to share the odd and a bit unusual, constructed from or with gourds?
I just found this:

"Japan’s Bird Electron decided it would be nice to see some speakers made from natural materials, so they came up with the concept. Each speaker has a 2.3-inch diameter full-range driver, sealed tightly into the body of the hollowed out fruit...
They’re currently available from AssistOn for ¥18,000 ($146 USD) for a pair along with an amplified stereo breakout box..."

http://technabob.com/blog/2007/06/29/ipod-speakers-made-from-gourds/

The pic is below...too cool! ... i-Gourd?

jipsi

Thumbnail by jipsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #4343815

Kind of makes you wonder what archaelogists will make of our civilization about 2,000 years from now, doesn't it? That is cool.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2007
5:40 PM

Post #4344227

I am working on a 2-story bird house...made from the lower half of a snake gourd...with a top from an old Coach Lamp for a roof. Pictures to follow soon. Jo

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #4344409

Oh, I can hardly wait. Are you taking "progress" pictures?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #4344751

I guess I could. DGS is here with me today and we are cleaning out my shed...where I store my gourds...I'll get a picture of those today too. Jo
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #4346783

Here's my next "?-shaped" gourd object... I have several (well, MANY, actually) bottle gourds that just don't quite sit "straight", and those that just plain grew crooked...
With those, my minds' eye immediately decided these would be wonderfully suited to being pitchers/ewers, with a diagonal piece cut from the top over the leaning side, creating a spout, of sorts!
Take a look... there were two I did this with just this morning, althouigh only one is pictured here (maybe tomorrow for the other one) and have already given both warm honey and cordovan stain base coats. Will start the drawing of the designs for each tomorrow, complete the whole start-to-finish process (artwork, burning, cutting, carving, painting, etc.) BEFORE I add on the gourd stem "handles" and then go to the "embellishment" stage... :-)
Have just BEGUN the creative rewards of growing this crop last year, and I have been too excited to sleep, probably why I'm here so much, posting progress reports to any other GG's who care to listen... :-)

Has anyone here had experience/success with DECOUPAGE, specifically pressed flowers/leaves, on a gourd??
Too many ideas, not enough time or gourds...LOL

jipsi

Thumbnail by jipsi

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #4347159

Gourd Speakers, now thats really something!
How about , low wattage lamp shades or Chimineas?
Jo I cant wait to see your Highrise birdhouse! Jipsi , those gourd pitchers and vases are going to be great . I cant wait to find out just how you attach the handles!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #4347403

Here is a gourd that one of my Gourd Group members did...I love the new Metallic paints...Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #4347411

Another one by the same member...the black is a black cord. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #4347825

ITs me again...staying on DG instead of out doing some shed cleaning!

Here is the project I am working on. I didn't drill the holes and my DGS got them a wee bit crooked...oh well...

This will be a Bird House Condo...on the order of a South western hoe. This will be the roof...I'll paint it red...for a tile roof. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4347831

The lower Condo...I will leave it natural...what color should I paint the shutters?

Thumbnail by roadrunner

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #4347842

The upper condo...At first I was going to make them facing the same way...then I thought that maybe the Mother Birds would rather have some privacy. So I put the other entrance on the other side. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #4348415

OOOOHHHH!!!! Metallic paint!!!! Idea lightbulb lighting up again!!!!!

Ahhh, Jo, those lucky Mama birdies are going to love you!!!!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #4348485

Ive Been turning the computer off and on all day myself, Jo! I wanted to go out and get some "cleaning" done in my shed too! But the wind has been terrible here today! With the summer long drought , Our Pine trees sufferred terribly and then the dreaded Pine Beetles took over! Sooo We are now losing trees right and left!
One fell this morning between our house and our neighbors. We were so worried it would fall across the pump house , but the Lord was with us and pushed it over into a wooded area that caused no one any damage.
We just found out that another fell across the edge of our neighbors house , slight damage , thankfully! But we are now worried about 6 other Huge pines, that are dead and are at this minute swaying in the wind... YIKES!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #4348494

Here it is ! Now we have to get out the Chainsaw!!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #4348605

That happened in TN last year...oppps...year before last now...trees all along I-40 were dangerous to travlers. Jo
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #4425600

I finally finished my 2-nest bird Condo...Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #4425609

One is downstairs...the other is upstairs...on the reverse side. The wind blew it as I was clicking. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2008
9:03 AM

Post #4427993

Sweet townhouse, Jo!
What type of gourd was this that you made it from?
Love the "exposed brick"!
And the color you used on the shutters-- I LOVE it!
"Aqua" has become my favorite "color of the year", and I've incorporated it into my 40's (mostly red and white) decor as an accent here and there!
Below is a pic of ne such "accent": literally a "trash to treasure" project, no other color but AQUA would do for this old slat-seated ladder-backed chair! Of the eight slats on the seat, the center three were gone completely, and the others so badly warped and rotten that I replaced the "middle" 6 with new pieces made from the large size PAINT STIRRER sticks (free at WalMart, if you're buying paint)...

More projects, more pictures! I love seeing what everyone else is doing with their gourds this winter!
I don;t know what I enjoy more: the GROWING of these, all summer, or the creativity in making something out of them, all winter... :-)

jipsi

Thumbnail by jipsi

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4428484

I love the chair...

The birdhouse is made from the bottom part of a Snake Gourd...now to figure out what to do with the top part. I cut one to get the seeds out...to share with some of my DG friends. Jo
Whitewidower
Greensboro, AL

February 24, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #4581714

Here are mine for what is worth

Thumbnail by Whitewidower

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #4582374

Great Penguins!! I'm going to try one soon...as soon as I get "aroundtoit". LOL Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #4591233

Maybe we could make some round tuits from gourd scraps... I know I could use a few...

;}
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #4662167

I dont know if these are unique or not, but fun for easter! I used regular egg dye and will coat them with bee's wax. Too much fun! I think I will turn them into "Hippie" bird houses! LOL!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2008
12:18 PM

Post #4662177

Another view! Ahhhh, the 60's will rise again! Tye Dye special!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2008
9:17 AM

Post #4666422

EASTER GOURDS, I think I like that idea! Maybe next year, when I have some 2008 season egg gourds to work with...:-)
Eufala, I LOVE the colors you used... did you just "drip" paints for the watercolor-effect? Or drip/rub in places with wax, THEN a wash of dye/ink/paint?

jip
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #4666478

Hi Jipsi! I found a box of "Halloween" color food dye, at a local Big Lot store. It contained the prettiest orange ,red ,brown and Black, dyes. I was amazed at the black dye ... something you never find in a food coloring!
I took prepared gourds and gave them another bath in soapy water to remove any residue and then rinsed, leaving them wet. I wished I had a yellow dye but didnt so I began with the lightest color first the orange. starting at the top of the gourd , I dripped a circle of orange dye drops aroung the stem. the wet surface started the drops to running in the craziest patterns down the gourd. Much fun!
I let this first dye dry . A must for this dye! then rewet the gourd , if you can wet the gourd with water from a pitcher or a measuring cup, it will be a lot better, then you can guide your dye where you want it to run.
then dribble your ,lightest to darkest colors, ( avoid too many colors) down your gourd .
Drying between colors. the last stage is to fill in "holes" with no color by tilting gourd and pouring water over those left out spaces and adding small drops of color.
I havent gotten to the waxing yet! I still have to get my bees wax. Im having aproblem getting it here. ...I saw waxed this way in the mountains and they were just gorgeous, the artist there used 4 coats of wax, buffing each coat! I wish I had had my camera.
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2008
8:53 AM

Post #4673580

Thanks, Eufala, for a GREAT how-to on your process!
Will definitely give this a try, as I'm about to (finally) embark on GOURD MADNESS!
This month has been crazy, what with the starting of next year's "canvases", and the sorting, sanding, planning and sketching of designs onto THIS year's product (from my 2007 garden).

I JUST cut open and started cleaning out number one (the first, and roundest-largest overall) of my 2 "bigguns": WOW! this big guy has taken up some considerable elbow grease: huge on the outside means huge on the inside, and I've still got to shave down the stuff inside to the "shell" for sanding and painting...

;-)
jip
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5153625

This message was edited May 28, 2010 11:20 PM

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5154308

Nice Birdhouse!! Jo
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5154621

This message was edited May 28, 2010 11:21 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America