Photo by Melody

Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants: Thank you

Communities > Forums > Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplantsReplies: 7, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

December 29, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #4337421

Being in the north, I alway keep buying, and killing, palms. Now I know why and can try again. What a wonderfully informative article.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #4337804

Very informative and much needed. So many of these beautiful plants are not even labeled as palms at the garden centers. Had no idea just what they were. Seems I have more than one and have not been treating them well. It is 23 degrees this morning and I don't have gh so many tropicals are inside trying to survive my love and care. Thank you for helping me see the error of my ways. I was given two Sago Palms in 1 gallon plastic pots. Where do they fall in this line?

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2007
4:27 PM

Post #4337888

Those are not palms. They are a succulent conifer basically though look like palms. Treat more like a succulent, though they are pretty adaptable. Need lots of light, and will not do well as indoor plants in low-light situations for too long. But thankfully low humidity not a problem with these succulents.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #4337905

Thank you. They have become very popular around here and everyone thinks they have a gen-u-wine palm. Can I plant outdoors in zone 8. It is 23 here this morning.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2007
6:05 PM

Post #4338159

it's supposedly hardy to around 15F (zone 8b) but I have never had one in a zone that cold myself.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #4338617

What a well done article! Excellent information and your photos are absolutely terrific. Thanks very much.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 30, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #4339130

What a treasure of information!!! Thank you for claifying a very confusing topic with such grace and style...and with such beautiful pictures! Your Healthy vs Unhealthy pics are particularly valuable!

Thanks again,
Shari
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #4339874

Just in the nick of time because once the Christmas tree comes down, I was filling the empty space with a palm. Maybe this year I'll pick the right kind and it won't die! Wonderful pictures, written in a way I can understand. A+

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Irish moss in high desert as a ground cover digitalpeggie 1 Dec 30, 2007 5:55 AM
What is this? alwright50 1 Jun 11, 2008 3:40 PM
Majesty Palm rot? Please help! mysticmisty 3 Jul 29, 2008 4:37 AM
Sawpalm pest problem sawpalm 1 Sep 9, 2008 5:10 AM
palm trees domcclay104 10 May 6, 2009 2:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America