Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Primroses: Diversity is Their Key to Popularity - Part 1: Primrose Culture and Use: Loved the article

Communities > Forums > Article: Primroses: Diversity is Their Key to Popularity - Part 1: Primrose Culture and Use
bookmark
Forum: Article: Primroses: Diversity is Their Key to Popularity - Part 1: Primrose Culture and UseReplies: 7, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #4340934

This is a great article, Todd. I don't think many gardens in my area have primroses, but I'm going to try them.

How your article was organized was extremely helpful. You could do a zillion articles in this format with different subject matter and they would all be good. Thank you!
Lori
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 30, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #4341686

Todd, thank you so much for an extremely informative article. I love primroses, and had a garden full in Colorado. You have given me some ideas that may help me grow them out here on my island.

Thanks again!
Yokwe,
Shari
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #4341809

I have cowslips, japonicas, candelabras, and recently I've fallen for auriculas. My japonicas grow in our stream-right in the water and are spreading nicely. Great article as always, Todd. Andy Wheeler's mom has a very large collection nearby and she has been a big influence on my interest.
egm
Ottawa
Canada

December 31, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #4342092

Thanks for you excellent article. I have tried growing a few varieties of primrose from seed 2 or 3 years ago since plants were not readily available in my area and had 3 varieties blooming last year. I found that a variety of primrose seeds were not available in many seed catalogues, but I found a few sources. Without trying to promote one over the other ( just save some grief and wasted time) - I found that most varieties that I ordered from Thompson and Morgan in the states would not germinate no matter what I did, however - I have had great success with seeds from Gardens North in Ontario.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #4343223

Thanks everyone! A second part on the different types of primroses is to follw shortly.

Cheers,
Todd

swampfire

swampfire
Palatine, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #4344010

Todd:
thank you for the reassuring article. I have grown Primroses in my IL garden for many years and it was time to divide and move some this fall. We had taken out some trees and some were left in full sun. I just love them ...treat them right and they give you pleasure for a long, long time.
Mary Ann
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 2, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #4349996

Todd, this was a very informative article - first one I've come across on primroses. I'm printing it off for my gardening binder for sure.

I'm going to try primroses from seed this year for the first time. Wish me luck!

Joanne
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #4350776

The fresher the seed, the better. The strat. period really aids germination. The candelabra types and polyanthus are easy from seed.

Good-luck!
Todd

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Primroses: Diversity is Their Key to Popularity - Part 1: Primrose Culture and Use Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
We have used these in our rock garden Dea 0 Dec 30, 2007 6:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America