Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Design: Advice needed for small commercial border

Communities > Forums > Garden Design
bookmark
Forum: Garden DesignReplies: 11, Views: 276
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ruminantia
Kansas, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #4341716

Hello, All!

I am fairly new to Dave's Garden and a brand new MG. This last year I planted a border at an intersection in town for a project. I was trying to go for a strictly tallgrass prairie type planting, but had a hard time finding enough native species plants at the time.

I ended up planting Prairie Sun Rudbekia, Indian Summer Rudbekia, three different Echinacea, two different Liatris, Veronica, Blanket Flower, and a feather grass... Can't think of the exact grass off hand.

This is on an island of turf, surrounded by asphalt. I have to use three extensions of 25' hose to water, so whatever I plant there has to be low maint. and drought tolerant.

I was not happy with the Rudbekia due to powdery mildew and the blanket flower was not tolerant enough to look its best.

I have been thinking of trying the AAS "Purple Majesty" millet. Does anyone have any input as far as how this might do in an area such as this? It also will be somewhat subject to wind.

Any other recommendations? I do not want to have to water at all once the plants are established unless absolutely necessary. I am in zone 5.

Thank You!

Oops! Upon previewing, I see that this is the WRONG picture! Not sure how to remove that, LOL!

Thumbnail by Ruminantia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Garden Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Landscaping software? Joan 24 Feb 17, 2008 5:07 PM
Rubber Border Mulch from Gardener's Supply Company drop 41 May 4, 2010 8:37 AM
Garden Paths RWhiz 136 Jan 20, 2009 9:50 PM
Need suggestions for covering big white fence crystalnurse 76 Jun 23, 2008 12:50 PM
OK, here's my Spring project!! Wifeygirl 109 Apr 19, 2010 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America