Since the insurance is gonna pay for most of it...

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

What kind of pickup truck should I buy if I plan to keep it forever and eventually move it out of town and into the country? (We'll pretend money is no object ;-) What accessories do you find useful; what models are easier to work on... extra points for American Made. This will be "my" truck as DH already has his Ford F350...

*Karla looks out into the parkinglot and misses her truck...*

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Karla,

Having just bought a new one (well, me and the bank) I can tell you two things.

1. Take your heart medicine pills with you, 'cause you're gonna have a cardiac when you see the stickers. I literally paid more for the truck than I paid for a house and 12 acres.

2. They don't build 'em like they used to. I mean we're talking about a truck, not a fashion statement.

For what it's worth, I wound up with a Ram 1500. Two wheel drive because I refuse to pay $8,000 for a $1,500 differential. Came with a bed liner (nowadays they automatically put them in; although I can't think of anything more useless). Automatic, because my bum knee won't let me use a clutch anymore. And all the "family car" [deleted] that they load into it; AC, radio/tape deck, overhead panel, power windows and door locks (probably the second most useless thing in the world), fold-down computer console, etc. etc.

It's also difficult to find a full sized bed and a cab that isn't extended. Here, again, they're building them automatically as club cabs so you have some place to stow the kiddies. But to put the extended cab on that chassis they use a short bed.

But I found one with a standard cab, finally, and full-sized bed. Drinks gas likes it's going out of style, of course.

If I had my druthers, I'd druther have my old 1970 Chevy 3/4 ton. Stick shift and no other accessories.

I'm thrilled with my Toyota Tacoma, year 2000. No fancy stuff - manual locks, manual windows, stick shift.

It is a mid-size truck with a 6 foot bed. I've hauled all kinds of stuff (including a heaping pile of dirt) with no trouble.

I'd highly recommend the tacoma if a 6 foot bed is right for you.

Dave

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

My last one was a Tacoma, that's the one I rolled because it didn't want to hold the road.

If Toyota had stuck with their old suspension system, the Tacoma would be a real winner. But the system they're using now is the pits, far as I'm concerned.

I decided then there'd be no more fooling around with toy vehicles, and went back to a full-sized one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images