Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds: Thanks

Communities > Forums > Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the SongbirdsReplies: 8, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #4343304

Thanks for recipes, and idea of collecting wild
fruits in summer, and saving for winter feeding!
Fitsy
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #4343418

Paul, great article. I love my birds and I'm always looking for ways to attract more! I guess a heated waterer is in my future. :o)

Toni
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #4343615

The water works! Last winter I added a heater to one bowl of my fountain, what a difference that made. This year I've kept the fountain running with the heated water. Someone is always visiting. This is one time I don't mind the squirrels, I figure they have to drink, too. It's a great treat to watch and is closer to the patio door. c4

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #4343768

We have our heated bird bath right outside the kitchen window.
It's amazing it can be 10-15 degrees and they're in the water splashing around.

Paul
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #4344664

I would like to get a heater, but our squirrels like to chew through wiring here in the woods. Is there any way around that?
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #4344995

Great summary for bird feeding basics! We have lots of fun feeding the birds in winter, too.

And don't forget that a great bird feeding experience can be enhanced by some good plantings in the yarden--both for food and cover for the birds!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #4345114

We put our bird feeders amongst the shrubs that encourage them, but will have to say that the ceramic heater for the bird bath is the big, big attraction in the winter.

Thanks Paul for a great read!
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #4346338

Thanks for great article and some wonderful suggestions for feeding winter birds.
The folks at Cornell Ornithology Lab have set up a site for counting the birds at your winter feeders:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/

DonnaBee
Commodore, PA

January 1, 2008
6:10 AM

Post #4346592

What a wonderful article! This is the first year I made suet rather than buy it. I never thought of gathering wild fruits for use in the suet recipes. I did gather some black walnuts this fall. Would the walnuts (rather than peanuts) mixed into the suet attract birds, or would it be harmful to the birds?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
excellent vhbt 0 Dec 31, 2007 2:10 PM
Attracting & feeding backyard birds Buzzdog 7 Feb 19, 2010 4:41 AM
Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Fri gardnut 0 Sep 6, 2009 8:39 PM
My experience is a bit different Elphaba 42 Feb 14, 2011 2:09 PM
thrifty suet & squirrel entertainment Gardennot 4 Apr 28, 2010 5:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America