Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 31, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #4344523

Thanks for writing an article on this great plant, Geoff. I enjoyed it very much. Just as a side note, I think my leaves changed color due to the full sun condition that they were getting in that position rather than the cold. I have others that stayed outside all winter but that didn't get the same full strength of the sun that didn't change color. My epi's leaves tend to turn red also when they get direct sun.

That plant is still doing great despite its red leaves, but I have moved it to a much more shaded position since that picture was taken. Here's the same plant in 2004.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

minnesotaronnie
Ely, MN

November 7, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8880842

Really interesting article and I like reading the comments and the experiences others have had with their plants. I was talking with an older man the other day who told me that he just recently threw his 80 year-old Christmas Cactus on the compost pile because it was getting too heavy for him to move in and out of his house every year. I felt terrible for the plant.

My plant in the picture is 3 years old and it came to be because I have two other plants that had pieces break off and I stuck them together in this pot. I have a 6'X8' greenhouse that is shaded in the summer and that is where it lived this summer. This picture was taken 11/3/2011. The red plant has uniform red colored flowers but the white also has salmon colored flowers and they can both be on the same branch/stem. I really don't care that it won't be in full bloom Thanksgiving or Christmas because it's parent's both live in the house and are setting their buds now. I have no idea what variety they are and it doesn't matter because I don't know what I would do with the information even if I had it. I love the white, it's spectacular!

Thumbnail by minnesotaronnie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Christmas Cacti Care Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Like-minded ceeadsalaskazone3 7 Dec 3, 2009 5:32 AM
Comparison between Schlumbergera hybrids trilian15 9 Dec 2, 2009 1:48 PM
wandering jew nikki24 1 Nov 30, 2009 8:02 PM
christmas cactus doridunn 0 Nov 29, 2009 2:52 PM
Family Heirloom Mrs_Ed 12 Nov 12, 2011 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America