Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardener5
Cherokee, NC

January 1, 2008
11:00 AM

Post #4346795

First I would like to say the people on this forum are so nice and helpfull. I have another issue that I need information about. I bought some very nice and expensive hyacinth and tulip bulbs in late November. The only reason I bought them is they were on sale at a very good price. I have them in my refrigerator. I do not have fruit in there as I have read not to store fruit with bulbs.It reads on the pack to plant them in March to May. I don't understand why some tulips are planted in the autumn and some in the spring. Also the bulbs have just a little bit of green on the top where they are sprouted.This happened after I put them in there. Are they going to grow more in there? Do you think I will be able to plant them in the spring? My refrigerator is 40 degrees inside. All information will be very much appreciated.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #4347543

You need to plant them now for them to bloom in the spring. Many bulbs need the cold temperature to trigger their bloom in the spring. Try this site for more information on forcing Hyacinth's so you'll have some blooms this winter. :)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

January 2, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4349673

Hi Gardener5, the info from Doccat is right, you need to get your bulbs either in the garden, or, into pots with compost, are you sure the packet didnt say flower in spring, I have never heard of spring flowering bulbs being planted as late as spring, but hey, I could be wrong. The reason you are seeing little green shoots on your bulbs, is because they have started to grow so that BY spring, the flowers will be ready. Bulbs are really the store cupboard for the plant, all the goodness is held within the bulb from last year, the foliage dies down and this sends the food and some nutrients back into the bulb to store this for the following year. If you leave them in the fridge any longer, the greenery will get distorted, the flowers, if any, will be so small and colourless that you will be so disappointed. I dont know what your zone temp is, but if I were you, this late in the season, I would put them into large pots with some good quality compost, and water the pot enough to make it damp, not too wet or the bulbs will rot, place the pots in a coolish place till the true leaves start to grow, then either place the pots into your flower borders if no frost is about, or keep them indoors and soon as you see the Hyacinth flower show the slightest bit of colour, move them into a lighter, warmer area, dont have them sit on a window where strong sunlight will make them dry out and pos scorch the foliage, and not close to a heater either. After they flower indoors this year, soon as the flowers fade, you can put them out into the garden where you want them to flower for next year, let the foliage die down naturally as this is required to feed the bulbs for the following season, if in the garden after they have lost the brown foliage, I give all my bulbs a feed of fish/blood/bone meal, you buy it ready mixed from garden centers/diy stores. for planting bulbs in the garden, you plant them 3 times the size of the bulb from root end to growing tip, so if your bulbs was, say 2 inches, you need to bury them 6 inches under the garden soil, not so deep for indoors as they wont have all the weather elements to cope with. hope this will help. good luck and act quickly or you will be so disappointed. Best wishes. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America