Photo by Melody

Article: What the Gardener Gets for Christmas: I just wanted dirt ..

Communities > Forums > Article: What the Gardener Gets for Christmas
bookmark
Forum: Article: What the Gardener Gets for ChristmasReplies: 2, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cougares
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #4347053

The month of December not only brings the gifts of Christmas, but also my birthday. I 'm not a specific gardener, my kitchen window is full of plants, or clippings from plants, or seeds which will become plants. My decorating theme is if there isn't furniture there, put a plant in it and often i've questioned the need for the sofa. The kids could just sit on pillows .

Outside there is an herb garden , and tomatoes get tucked in among the marigolds, cukes are found growing up the back fence, there are plants in pots, there are pots hung on fences, there are bananas shading the turtles pond.

So what do i want for the holidays , DIRT. I can always use dirt, i don't need any more plants, would you like some castor bean seeds, a philodendron? The look is always of suprise and complete exasperation . I can't get you dirt ! why ? i want dirt , and if you really really care compost . You want me to get you cow sh... yes dear and it would be greatly appreciated. Of course i never get my dirt and have the abundance of gardening books, tapestries, and the never ending supply of mugs which wind up filled with cuttings of something. People will never understand gardens , but they are family and friends and we still love them as we shove them out the door with yet another clipping in hope the garden bug will bite, and next year it will be compost!!!!

Thumbnail by cougares
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MistyPetals
North Augusta, SC

March 20, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #4687537

Compost, the gift that keeps on giving. I want compost, too. I would love for someone to call the garden center and request a truckload of compost be dumped on my front lawn on Christmas morning. Now, that would be great.
laurahteague
Madisonville, KY

December 29, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #7405112

I certainly can identify with these articles! I finally threatened my family about the coffee table books! I also like to travel, so every Christmas would get several giant books about whatever place I would soon be visiting. Nice, but what do you do with them all? Then, two out of three years I received knives from my unimaginative husband, so the next year I beat him to the punch and asked him to have a boulder moved to my garden. Turned out, the boulder was too big, but the buddy that was going to help move it said if I wanted rocks, he knew where some were. So my husband hired several "good ole boys" (if you're from the south, you know what they are) and we spent the whole day moving large rocks. The buddy went to his family's old homestead, which was falling down, and was now owned by a big company that managed chicken houses, etc. He asked the manager if he needed the rocks on the property. The owner said no, the house was due to be torn down anyway, and he drove over on a front end loader and helped up load the rocks. There were beautifully chiseled cornerstones, and many other rocks that had been used in the foundation. I even found about a hundred homemade bricks! That was definitely my best Christmas gift ever!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What the Gardener Gets for Christmas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I got a mug. carrielamont 19 Dec 27, 2007 4:16 AM
I got garden statues. charlenesplants 3 Dec 27, 2007 5:03 PM
I got what I asked for. . . bacarney 1 Dec 27, 2007 4:03 AM
Very cute article!!! Pagancat 1 Dec 27, 2007 4:03 AM
So true. Interesting read. Annepaola 0 Dec 31, 2007 3:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America