Photo by Melody

Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants: WOW!

Communities > Forums > Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal PlantsReplies: 10, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #4347107

What a great article! I learned so much and thank you for providing the information.
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4347334

Great read Jeremy! I have unwittingly killed plants over the years in those beautifully decorative but deadly pots, and always feel so bad about it!
Cathy
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 1, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4347396

Very helpful!
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 1, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #4347758

thank you so much for writing just what i needed to read! i have bought so many plants in the last 2 weeks --beautiful bargains ---and lots in decorative pots--while i knew no drainage isn't good i really thought i would just water less--now i think i will repot--by the way--all the pointsettas i bought were in the pretty foil but when i watered them i found out the nursery had split them all across the bottom to drain--
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #4348395

Thanks, all for your kind comments on the article. PlanoLinda, it is heartening to know that there are some conscientious nurseries out there that do actually care about the life of the plants for more than the week or two they plan to have them. I've never come across a plant with the foil split for drainage. Repotting the bargain plants will give you the chance to examine their roots to see if there is much damage from overwatering.

After nursing about TEN THOUSAND bargain plants last year (no exaggeration, you can read my "Plant Addict" article on DG for the full details of my weekly cull pack purchases), I found that withholding water for a while and allowing the plants some shady rest works best. Even full sun plants seem to recover better if they are given a chance to rest and recuperate by drying out for a few days and placed in diffused, bright light for a week or two. When you see new growth beginning, you know your plant doctoring has been successful!

Happy New Year and bountiful harvests in your gardens and all your affairs in 2008!

Jeremy
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 1, 2008
9:09 PM

Post #4348714

thanks for telling about the 10,000 plants--makes me feel more "normal"! Hope you keep writing to help new gardeners like myself!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #4348806

You're welcome, PlanoLinda. I hope I can remain a "new" gardener until they pry the shovel from my shriveled hand and use it to plant me! LOL There is always something more to learn about gardening and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the topsoil for all there is to know.

Jeremy
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 2, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4349371

that's a good thing--can never get bored when there is still so much to learn and do right?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #4349576

I want to go an a rescue mission immediately! Thanks, Jeremy,,, x, Carrie
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 2, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4349599

wish i could join you carrie!! i did my rescue mission but would love to do more
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #4350943

WOW! was my first thought while reading it too!
Thanks for the great info. I have bought and paid too much for plants like this. I intend to save this link to my journal. Thanks much!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great! MitchF 3 Jan 1, 2008 9:11 PM
Hydrogen peroxide a solution? tabasco 7 Jan 30, 2012 2:12 PM
African Violets Codered1 1 Jan 25, 2010 4:36 PM
Thanks CLScott 1 Jan 27, 2012 2:18 PM
New gizmo works! bariolio 1 Feb 2, 2012 1:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America