Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

January 2008 Daily Weather, 2008 is Going To Be Great!!!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Welcome to the January daily weather.
I so cherish each and every one of you. When I traveled ya'll were my home base here at Dave's Garden.
Please come by often with your pictures and tour weather reports.
Historic Springfield, Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
58.8 F / 14.9 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 42 F / 5 C
Wind: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Tuesday

64 F | 28 F
18 C | -2 C
Wednesday
43 F | 19 F
6 C | -7 C
Thursday
45 F | 31 F
7 C | -1 C
Friday
56 F | 43 F
13 C | 6 C
Saturday
66 F | 47 F
19 C | 8 C
So that means today I get to spend all day playing plant mama.
Sidney
A very Happy New Year to Each and Everyone!

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Happy New Year everyone. Jan. Is starting out very cold here. It is partly cloudy with a few snow showers. 26 degrees and winds 10 to 20 MPH. It will get doqwn in the single numbers tonight about 8 degrees. You all keep warm. BEV

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Happy New Year! Everyone! I hope that the new year brings much happiness, wealth, & great gardening! :D

Sorry that I have been MIA, but vow to do better this new year! Have missed you all!

Sidney, What a great shot...Love the sky pics! :D

There is 4" of snow predicted for us thru Thursday morning...Just north of us (in Greenbrier county) the snow amounts will be 8+!

Current Conditions (as of 10:40 AM) Today's forecast F | C
Snow and blowing snow advisory
Fair37F
Feels like: 28F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 23
Humidity: 56%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 16 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 5:16 PM
UV Index: 2 Low
Observed at Dublin / New River Valley.

All times shown are local to Peterstown.
Today Hi: 38
Lo: 16
A Snow and Blowing Snow Advisory in effect from noon today to 4 am est Thursday for Raleigh, Bland, Giles and Monroe counties. Snowfall accumulations will likely reach 3 to 7 inches.

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

28 (Wind Chill 16) here w/ steady 16 MPH West Winds.
We may hit 32.
We did have a trace of snow.... you could see a few flecks on our black Katt... lol!

The wine bottles are from Germany.
The Vinter is Moselland.
The Black a Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Riesling Qualitatswein 2006 Keller Schwarze Katt
The White a Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Riesling Qualitatswein 2006 Riesling Halbtrocken

Halbtrocken means Half-Dry so won't be as sweet as a regular Riesling
Qualitatswein or QbA is a German designation meaning
quality wine from certain areas
The area are in this case the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region.

There are about a dozen different colors of bottles.
The Pink Bottle is a Breast Cancer Awareness symbol and a donation from the sale is given to charity.

Moselland's are usually a great value on a very good wine.

Ric

This message was edited Jan 1, 2008 11:52 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sharon I didn't forget you.
What GREAT news on your MIL!!!
Hope she continues to improve and is back to her old self soon!!!!
Here's a little shot for you.

Joey Great to hear from you!
Bbbbbbundle up!!!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

8am, 17. Dark; last night's fireworks really lit up the skies; the neighbor put on quite a display as did several others fairly nearby.
Today
Cloudy. Flurries this afternoon. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s. Northeast wind 10 to 25 mph.
Tonight
Light snow likely with little accumulation. Lows 5 to 15 above. Northeast wind 10 mph.
Happy New Year everyone~
Deb~your dad, too, New Year birthday; we'll have cake this afternoon for my DH and have lunch w/friends; a nice day planned.
Sounds as if the brief winter could rival our brief summer...if it falls on a weekend, so much the better>))
MySharona~very good news about your MIL>
Sidney~have a great day with the plants; know they get tender-loving care; it sure shows in the coleus pics you've posted.
marsue~thanks, so far, 8 hours into the new year, and all's well~in fact, I'm the only one of the 7 ready for the day...very quiet.
rann~glad there were fireworks afterall~sure makes a great end and beginning of the year.
ric~not being much of a wine drinker, I really enjoyed the history of the wine/bottles you had. Very cool.
Happy New Year.
A splash of New Year color w/fused icicles..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kiska those are Gorgeous!
Will they be Tree Ornaments?

My friends on another site love your Moose Pics BTW!
Much classier than the White-tailed Deer we see here!

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's our dreadful forecast...and folks - for me - this is unbearabbbbly cold! At least we've had a big of rain recently so everything is hydrated.

Tonight
Clear. Lows in the mid 20s. Wind chill values as low as 15 after midnight.
Wednesday
Sunny. Highs in the lower 40s. Wind chill values around 15 in the morning. West winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
Wednesday Night
Clear. Lows around 16. Wind chill values around 14.

E-B: love that photo of the Tulip (?) -so warm.
Sharon: Great news about your MIL. So glad to hear it.
Joey: So there you are! Good to "see" you back.
Kiska: Those are cool. Did you make them?
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
(Zone 3b)

Thanks, ric~ they are made to hang in windows, but would be nice as an ornament, too. We had our first custom order for a set of 8; fun to sell and buy more glass..
Glad you've enjoyed the gkids/moose. We sure do, too.

(Zone 3b)

Deb~oops, crossed; but, you are having cold weather; bundle up and enjoy the feel of the coolness on your face; nothing like it....
Yes, it's my new hobby; "warm glass"....fusing, draping and slumping it....

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year Everyone! Just a quick note : I spend the New Year's Eve in a restaurant and had a great party and tomorrow we'll leaving for the mountains, so I hope to bring lots of snow pictures !
I wish you all to be healthy , happy and lucky this year! Stay well while I'm gone!
Here's a picture from last night.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Happy New Year!
I'll take the prize for coldest. Right now 8 & strong NW wind. It was zero this morning.
I'm glad it's warm in Alaska. We will get that weather in a couple days.
Bernie

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Happy New Year, everyone! May it be joyful and fun and fulfulling and healthy and all that good stuff!

Sharon, praise the Lord that your MIL is getting better.

Marsue, I forgot to answer the other day: No, I have never been to the aquarium in Long Beach. When we think of things to do, we just never think of it. I think there must be psychological block, because going there involves driving on the 405 between the 101 and the airport, which is something to be avoided at almost any time.

Deb, lows around 16 - Yikes! Do you get some nights that cold every year?

I guess I get the prize for the driest (no surprise there). The wind can stop any time now. As usual, the warmest day of the week is New Year's Day, but it doesn't feel warm to me. On the Kelli feels-like scale, it feels like 48F.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on January 01, 2008
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
60 F / 16 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 7 F / -14 C
Wind: 29 mph / 46 km/h / 12.9 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 37 mph / 59 km/h / 16.5 m/s

(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone!

It's been breezy today with some light hail/snow showers. It's now 33F, 13 mph (6 m/s) gusting to 35 mph (16 m/s) from the south.

We went outside after dinner tonight to light a few sparklies with the girls since they didn't go out at all last night. There have been some fireworks tonight too since many probably didn't get their fill last night because of the weather ..... The bonfires that were cancelled last night were on tonight in the surrounding towns, the one in Hafnarfjrur was postponed until Jan. 6th.

Ric - very cool bottles :-)

Sharon - so glad to hear your MIL is improving :-)

Joey - so glad to hear from you again! How is your house - was there any damage?

Kelli - wonderful photos in the previous thread :-)

Debi - what a cute bird :-) Is it a warbler? Great photo :-)

Here's a link to a news report on last night's fireworks if anyone's interested :
http://dagskra.ruv.is/streaming/sjonvarpid/?file=4397792/2
it starts out live ("beint") from a bonfire earlier this evening and then there's some pretty good footage from last night's fireworks.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy New Year everyone!! Been busy watching the Barrett-Jackson car Auction on TV today. Some really amazing cars on there. One was a Supercharged Shelby. Went for 5 million dollars. I about started crying when I saw the price. lol. I think Mr. Shelby himself did too since no one, especially him, expected the car to bring that much.

Here is a link if you are interested. www.autoblog.com/2007/01/21/2007-barrett-jackson-scottsdale-carroll-shelbys-personal-cobr/

Sharon, glad your MIL is doing better!

Now on to the weather:

Currently: 15F Cloudy
Currently: -9C Cloudy
Wind: Northwest at 13 MPH
Humidity: 64%
Dewpoint: 5F
Barometer: 30.66 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 1F
Wind: Northwest at 20 KPH
Dewpoint: -15C
Barometer: 1038 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -17 C

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

21 (Wind Chill 7) w/ 16 MPH Winds and some pretty healthy gusts.

This is just what I need for my first day going back to work.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
the national weather service in wilmington has issued a snow
advisory...which is in effect until 10 am est wednesday.

snow showers will occur late this afternoon and overnight
resulting in 1 to 2 inches of accumulation. as the snow showers
taper off wednesday morning...there could be up to an inch
of additional accumulation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not much in the grand scheme of things but I'll have to get up even earlier to clean the car....errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Here's a shot of one of Robyn's Villages.
We have 7 going now.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney Great start picture!
Joey Wooo Hoo snow!! LOL! Thats a gorgeous poinsettia!
Ric Thanks for the info on the wine bottles. Theyre quite unique. I love flamingos! The village is very cute. How many does Robyn have?
Kiska Your really beginning to get some inventory going, huh? The icicles are gorgeous.
Deb 16*?! And I thought we are going to be cold! LOL! Bundle up! Your bird pic is so cute!
Adina Looking forward to mountain pictures! Looks like you had a grand time on New Years!
Bernie Welcome and bundle up for sure! LOL! I got a chill just thinking about 8*!
Rann The fireworks were so pretty! What is the history of the bonfire before the fireworks?
Pepper - $5 million? I hope it does more than drive on the road for that amount! LOL! That darmn thing better be able to fly the skies! I'm really diggin' the Mazda Furai - WOW!

Thank you everyone for your support during MILs illness. Please keep her in your prayers even though she is doing much better. She really gave us a scare.

I had to spend a some time getting the more sensitive plants moved in to the house this afternoon. The wind started getting brisk around 4:00, but the temp was 61*. MIL is being moved from ICU tomorrow to a step down room across the hall. Shell be in the hospital for about 2 more weeks depending on how quickly she heals.

Taken on the dreaded intracoastal bridge heading to the mainland. This is when my internal bungee cord starts pulling me back to the island! Sometimes you have to leave for a few mintues, but I always return. Otherwise I'll get whiplash!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Whiplash. LOL.

I forgot to add the weather:

47.1 F / 8 C
Clear
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 16 F / -9 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h from the WNW
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 30.30 in / 1026.0 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 10 PM EST Wednesday...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect from 1 am to 11 am EST Wednesday...
Freeze warning in effect from 3 am to 9 am EST Wednesday...
Hard freeze watch in effect from Wednesday evening through Thursday morning...

Rest of Tonight
Clear and brisk near the coast. Much colder. Low 23.
Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph inland...around 20 mph along the coast. Wind chills 16 to 21.

Yikes!!! - Where are my thermals?! LOL!!

Also - Jeff is coming home tomorrow! YAY!!!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2008 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

As long as we are talking cold, I will relate the coldest time I spent in my life.
1961, I was living in Brainerd, MN. I had a job that I traveled from one farm to the next recording milk weights of farmers cows.
I was at Pine River, MN. The farmers wife was very much with child. I went up to bed. In the morning, an strange voice called me. It was his father. The baby decided to come into the world that night. They lived 15 miles north of Pine River & had to drive a very old car to town. There they met the doctor & rode with him to the hospital in Brainerd. Another 30 miles.
When the grandpa & I went out to milk the cows, it was -47.
Yes that was 47 degrees below zero!
You dared not even take a breath!
Mom & baby were fine.
Bernie

I hope I never am out in -47 weather. BRRR!!!!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

MySharona, you have my favorite kind of dog. I have had Bostons since 1965 and this is the first year I haven't had one. They are delightful, loving and wonderful pets. The weather in Thomasville, Ga is cold and going to be, if the weather man is right 18 tomorrow night. All my animals are snug in the house. Happy New Year everyone. Elaine

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Bernie: 8F must be a dawdle for you after milking cows at -47! :)
Rann: Yes, that little yellow fellow is a Pine Warbler. The birds were all over the feeders today. They must know the cold is coming.

Sharon: Oh golly - 23! Prissy doesn't seem worried. ;>
Kelli: We do tend to get 1 or 2 nights each winter in the teens. Fortunately, it's not often and it rarely lasts more than a night. Normal nights this time of year for us are low 40s or high 30s.

Clear night and a bit nippy.
Deb

This message was edited Jan 1, 2008 10:17 PM

Bernie - -47*? That must have been waaaayyy up by the Canadian border?
Kamikid Awww I cant imagine a Christmas without Prissy. Bostons really are the best family dogs.

36.9 F / 2 C
Clear
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 11 F / -12 C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9 km/h from the WNW
Wind Gust: 14.3 mph / 23 km/h
Pressure: 30.36 in / 1028.0 hPa(Rising)
Windchill: 34 F / 1 C

Freeze warning in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 10 PM EST this evening...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 11 am EST this morning...
Hard freeze warning in effect from 7 PM this evening to 10 am EST Thursday...

Today
Sunny...brisk. Much colder. High 42. Northwest winds 20 to 25 mph. Wind chills 16 to 21 in the morning.

We didn't get as cold as wx said. I'm thinking it was more of an inland temp. 36 is good enough though! LOL!

Finally some blooms on this one!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

12 (Wind Chill -5) and Snowing here this morning.

Of to warm up and clean off the car..... YIKES!

Ric

Whoops!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

21, Still dark, snow forecast

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 46%
Wind: 300 (WNW) at 17mph
Gusts: 28mph
Pressure: 30.09in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 28F
Yesterday's High Temp: 45F
Dew Point: 3
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: 7500ft
Heat Index: 21
Wind Chill: 7
6hr Precip: 0in
6hr Low Temp: 26F
6hr High Temp: 34F

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-6 this morning.
Moon is shining bright!

We're getting colder! LOL!

35.4 F / 1 C
Clear
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 8 F / -13 C
Wind: 7.0 mph / 11 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 16.8 mph / 27 km/h
Pressure: 30.39 in / 1029.0 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 31 F / -1 C

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=99041

Brrrrrr! Wx said we may see some snow flakes (inc the coastal areas) around 4am tomorrow! This area includes the St. Augustine area. Not that I'll be awake then, but ...!

This message was edited Jan 2, 2008 8:16 AM

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Mornin! :D Brrrr...it's Chilly! And my deck is White! :D
Snow and blowing snow advisory
Scattered Flurries16F
Feels like: 1F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 7
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 14 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 5:16 PM

Yes Deb, here I am...and it's really good to be back! :D Sounds as if you are getting some of the 'chill' as well! :-O
Sharon, thanks. My poinsettias are going quick due to negelect, but they never last very long in this climate anyway. Glad that your MIL is getting better! & well enough for Jeff to come home. Your Christmas Cactus! :D Gorgeous!
Ric, Love the wine bottles! Quite unique! I particularly like Robyn's village! Cool!
Rann, I am ok & so is the house. I don't know how, but a few shingles were all that were messed up. The tree was a big one, but not any more! :D
Dyson, do you have any snow yet? Seems like you have the Cold!

Stay Warm!!!!

Todays trivia is...
Why is the sky blue?
a) Reflection off the oceans
b) Sunlight hitting clouds
c) Sunlight hitting air
d) El Nino

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi! all. 7drgrees here this a.m. Temp rizeing to 19 with a brisk breeze from 10 to 20 mph. more of the same tomorrow. I can't believe it is supposed to be 62 Fri. !!!!!!!! BEV

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CST

Fair
Feels Like: 15
Barometer: 30.79 in and rising
Humidity: 53%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 9
Wind: NW 5 mph
Sunrise: 7:16 am
Sunset: 5:08 pm
High: 39 Low: 19

It would seem from reading all the posts above that everybody is experiencing a bit of colder weather right now. We certainly are but at least the sun is shining here and no precipitation of any kind predicted for the next couple of days. It's 20F on my back porch right now.

Welcome, Bernie and Elaine--nice to meet you both.
Joey--welcome back! glad the tree didn't do all that much damage to your house! How's little JW doing this new year? I'm guessing C for the trivia but I really do't have a clue.
Ric--sorry you have to return to work under those weather conditions!
Dyson--are you going back to work now that it is the New Year?
Bev and Bernie--now I know why I don't live up north! TOOOO COLD! LOL
Sharon, prayers continuing for your MIL--so glad to hear how she is improving. I must have one of those red cactuses (or is it dark pink?)
Pepper--It would be nice to have just a small percentage of the 5 million that person paid for that car!! I can't imagine having that kind of money but I would like to give it a try! LOL
You guys were busy yesterday. I don't know what happened but I wasn't being notified of this thread when the posts were new. I found you, though! LOL I need to go back and look at all the photos and visit the link that Rann posted but I want to post this first.
Everyone have a good day.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

28 wind gust to 20 MPH. The rain gauge is frozen solid.

I am "on call" and have to be in either Lynchburg or Danville on Friday.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, better late than never.....HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! The Doxies went flying out for their morning run, got as far as the picnic table then came flying back! I usually leave the door open for them, but because of the cold I had closed it and there was panic in their eyes as they peered through the glass. LOL Poor little Florida dogs, they are now huddled under their blankies waiting for breakfast.

Thought I was supposed to go to the dentist today, marked it down wrong, it's tomorrow. Soooooo, I go tomorrow when it's supposed to be even colder! I plan on getting a loooooooog extension cord and wearing my electric blanket!

I've turned from a NC mountain girl to a real Florida Cracker!
Pati

(Zone 5a)

Pati - the image of your dogs out in the cold is hilarious! lol It's a good thing they're snuggled in their blankets now! lol

Sharon -thanks. I don't know any history on the bonfires - it's been a tradition since before I was born ........ I've never taken the girls though since Selma can't stand the noise from the fireworks and doesn't go out of the house on New Years ........

Joey - so glad there wasn't more damage ..... I was worried! lol

Ric - too bad the weather's so unpleasant on your first day back .....

Hi Bernie - -47F is beyond my comprehension.

Seems like a lot of you are getting really cold temperatures today - most of you are colder than I am ;-) It's 36F here, there's a breeze blowing from the NW at 11 mph gusting to 20 mph and it's raining now.

Stay warm everyone!

Rann

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Ooo! I am as excited as a kid before the first snowfall!

... Significant rainfall and strong winds expected Thursday through
Sunday night across central and Southern California...

A major storm with the potential for an extended period of
significant rainfall and strong winds will sweep into the area
later Thursday and will last through Sunday. This could be the most
significant rainfall across the Southland since January 2005.

Joey Im going with C. Just a guess though.
Marsue Thanks! Its more of a fuschia color. Its so pretty when in full bloom.
Dyson Back at work! Today is my first full day back after the holidays and boy am I beat! LOL!
Pati Prissy went out this morning and came running back in about 20 seconds later shivering! LOL! Poor baby was fweeeezin!
Kelli YAY Rain!! In significant amounts! Thats the best kind!
Rann - We're neck and neck in the temp department! LOL!

41.0 F / 5.0 C
Clear
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 9 F / -13 C
Wind: 7.0 mph / 11.3 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 14.8 mph / 23.8 km/h / 11.8 m/s
Pressure: 30.41 in / 1029.7 hPa (Falling)
Windchill: 36 F / 2 C
UV: 5 out of 16

Lake Wind Advisory until 10 PM this evening...
Hard freeze warning from 7 PM this evening to 10 am Thursday...

This Afternoon
Sunny and brisk. High 43 ("they" increased our high by 1*) . Northwest winds 20 to 25 mph and gusty.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

It is 16 degrees! Yipee! I can hardly wait till tomorrow when it is going to be 30. Glad there is not a big wind,very little. Our nieghbors pipes are frozen but my fish pond is all right. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Rann, you live in Iceland, but it probably don't get to cold there.
These cold snaps we get come right off the Arctic Circle.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

It only got down to 36º last night. It's 40 right now and wind chill is 30. I have my dinning room and back porch packed with at least enough of some 500 plants to start cuttings of most. I'm mistying often and have furniture protected. I'm heating the back porch too.
Gonna get down to the 20s with windchills in the teens.
I may pull out more sheets.
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.