Sweet Peas

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

How many of you soak your sweet peas before winter sowing? I have read that you don't have to, but I am wondering if it would increase chances of better germination.
Thanks for any info.
Karen

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

It will freeze them and turn them to mush when they thaw. They have to do their own thing in their own time.

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Robyn!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Since wintersowing does it for me, I don't nick or soak anything. I have germinated many large and/or hard seeds this way including sweet peas, moonvine, and nasturtiums with no problem. My only caution would be not to do them too early as they might rot in the moisture. Those large seeds have worked better for me when sown closer to spring.

Karen

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

I want to have sweet peas early, for an event in late April. Maybe I would be better off sowing them indoors, what do you think?
Thanks for the info.
Karen

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Sow them indoors, The weather is too unpredictable in March and April. They might start and then you could have really bad weather that could kill them off. Better safe than sorry.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

So I could start sweet peas now in my kitchen and just let them vine on my plant stands? I'd be so thrilled to have them flower, and my kitchen is bright enough.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

If it were me, I would start them within the next month or so. Just do the usual with the light, water and warmth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images