Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine: Loved this article

Communities > Forums > Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine
bookmark
Forum: Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal MedicineReplies: 13, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2008
5:24 AM

Post #4350509

Melody

I really enjoyed this article. I have been picking the brains of the locals here in eastern Ky since I moved here for just such information. I poke around in the woods seeing what I can find. I am still hoping to uncover some ramps and some fiddle head mushrooms.

How are you doing since the MVA? Hope you are well and that your Christmas and New Year celebrations went well.

Cajuninky
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2008
10:33 AM

Post #4350749

What an interesting article. I'm going to forward this one to one of my Master Gardener classmates who is very interested in herbal remedies and all things associated with this subject. Lots of great information and kudos to the folks that were smart enough to see that this is a heritage that needed to be protected and preserved.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 2, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #4350800

Melody, Thankyou for this interesting artical and information on herbs.
I used to love the Beverly Hillbilies!! It's not on here anymore.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #4350868

Fascinating article, some I knew about but not all of them. This was great, thanks.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #4350933

I agree with CajuninKy ~ moved to this rural backwoods area 35+ years ago and love the heritage of it. The plants, their names and uses were new and unique to me. Digging deeper and IDing the plants makes me realize that this is the same type of area that you wrote of in the Ozarks. Most interesting and a place I would love to tour. Thank you! pod
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4351122

Great job, Melody. Jimmy Driftwood was a friend of my father's, but I didn't know anything about the Folk Center. We may have to take a vacation to Mountain View. My dad has been gone 20 years, but my mother and I would love to see it! I'm sending your article to her.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4351295

Thanks everyone!

We go to Mt. View every October for my DH to play music with his friends from all over the country. We've been meeting there for the past 12 years.

We had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy a couple of years before he passed away. A nice fellow, and a true gentleman. Jimmy Driftwood's Music Barn is still having shows. Anyone can sign up to play. It's a big barn with a stage. No admission is charged, but an offering plate is passed, just like church, and the proceeds go toward paying utilities and upkeep. Jimmy's awards and Grammys are there also.

We love the town and the people of the area. It's one of our favorite places to go when we want to get away. Progress has come to Mt. View during the time that we've been going, but it's still such a small, friendly place where the locals are eager to share their hospitality and way of life.

http://www.ozarkgetaways.com/index.html

Here's a link to information about the area.

There was so much information that I gathered for this article, it was impossible to fit it all in this article. From the gracious ladies at the Folk Center who described what it was like growing up in the area, to the ladies at the Mt. View Chamber Of Commerce, who were so helpful.

I hope I wrote this article in an informed and respectful way, and I'm glad that ya'll enjoyed it.

girlgroupgirl

January 2, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #4351940

Melody, I love reading anything about herbs - this was a great article!

Thanks!
girlgroupgirl
MistyPetals
North Augusta, SC

January 2, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #4351946

Great article, about two weeks ago my husband and I developed a stomach virus. Obviously, we share everything. lol
Anyway, to make a long story short, the 'medical' doctor prescribed something for the nausea but we continued to feel terrible. After quite enough of the vomiting and the irritated bowel, I went in search of goldenseal. The goldenseal worked like a charm and my husband returned to work feeling much, much better. Thanks for the article. Sometimes when I use herbs for various ailments, he look at me as though I'm a quack or sometthing. I know what I know and I know goldenseal works. Again, thanks for the article. I would love to visit the Ozarks.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4352755

Very interesting Melody. There is certainly much that modern medicine can learn from the herbal practitioners. Thanks.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4353717

Great article Melody!! A part two would be a great addition to this one if you ever get the chance to do one. I loved reading about the uses of the herbs.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #4355918

I have enough information for a couple of more articles.Hopefully, during the year, I'll be able to tell ya''ll some more about the area.

Thanks for the compliments, the story was a joy to write.

Cambium

Cambium
Lamar, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #4372755

I enjoyed this article very much! I'm proud to be a hillbilly from south of Harrison. When I lived up there I'd goto Mt. Home occasionally. My parents were raised in the hills & my daddy's love of wild things was passed to me. I used to roam the woods in search for plants to add to my collection to enjoy. I yearn for the green tang of Poke on my palate & the sweet, heady fragrance of fresh Sassafrass tea steeping in a my favorite tea cup! One day I hope to be able to return & I hope I'm able to have another yard full of lovely wild things!

~*~ Suenell
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

January 8, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #4376501

Thanx. Good article and hope to read more about local herbs from all over the U.S.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edible, medicinal herbs kaziah 0 Jan 7, 2008 4:22 PM
Sassafras and other plants also native to TN Gingham_farms 2 Aug 9, 2010 6:04 AM
Goldenseal patriciahunt 3 Jan 6, 2013 4:01 PM
Polk Liquidambar2 12 Aug 11, 2010 7:10 PM
Great for my class! jazzy1okc 1 Aug 10, 2010 5:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America