-
AuthorContent
Nepthys
Kennedy, NY
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2001
5:40 PM

Post #1244

Geesh... just stepped outside the office on my lunch break. Was immediately assulted by my hair flying in my face. (really should get the stuff cut). Had to go into the Eagles yard next door to retrieve part of our flag. We now have 12 stripes. :) The Red Cross flag is holding up well, all things considered! It's balmy out too... about 55*... short sleeve weather for us Yanks. but it's only supposed to be a high of 20* tomorrow. Ugh... can't wait til spring!

Hope ya'll down south aren't getting too many bad storms down there! Bout time for the rough season to start. Busy season for us here at the Red Cross! Too many floods and bad storms! Oh well... we meet them head on... ready to help where we can!

- Amanda
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2001
5:56 PM

Post #51303

Well, so far so good on the weather. It's sunny and warm today with a temperature of almost 80 degrees. But where am I? Stuck in the house painting. Yuk!!! I have been taking lots of breaks outside though to check on my crops that I've got planted.

Pete2
Nepthys
Kennedy, NY
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2001
6:03 PM

Post #51304

80* would cripple us... still too much snow on the ground... although the wind is taking care of that quite nicely... as long as it doesn't rain too much, we should be in good shape and not have too worry about too many ice jams and floody...

How I wish to be back in Union County, GA! Loved living there... Good ole Brasstown Bald! hehehe
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2001
6:17 PM

Post #51305

Nepthys get ready for some rain or snow-here in michigan it has been pouring all last night and all day today-buckets full!!
my front yard is a lake(will make a nice ice rink soon!)Im not sure when its suppose to end. Been 50 here today so the snow is melting rapidly and my michigan basement has streams
dori
dave

February 9, 2001
6:54 PM

Post #51309

Here around Knoxville they are calling for a "severe thunderstorm warning" later this evening. It is already windy with gusts up to 30mph (my trees are bending over) and they are saying the wind will reach 60 mph tonight.

when warm fronts meet cold fronts this is what we get, I guess. Thankfully I'm not living in Tornado Alley anymore (sorry to those of you who are... I don't envy your position).

dave
lantana

(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2001
9:46 PM

Post #51332

Wind indeed!!! That front moved through here about 2 AM and Wow! was that a strong one. Go to this site and see the wind damage: http://www.gainesvilleregister.com/ Click on local news to read about the train that blew over just north of me. And one of my neighbor's nice big new barns moved over to the next door neighbor's pasture. I'm impressed! Be prepared all y'all in the South. This front's a really big one!
dave

February 10, 2001
3:44 AM

Post #51392

I saw the train on the Weather Channel tonight. Wow!

We're right smack in the middle of the front right now. Torrential rains and wind whipping my mature hardwood trees around as if they were 2nd year maidens.
frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2001
10:03 AM

Post #51402

Wind!!?! I guess we have wind this morning. All the doors and windows are creaking when it gusts. It must be about 50 or 60mph! It's still dark, but I think I just saw Toto blow past the window, followed by what looked to be my DW on a broom! But, I know it could not be her, since she's still asleep.LOL! Besides, her broom is in the shop, getting the bristles rotated!
Ohio_Annie
Toledo, OH

February 10, 2001
10:30 AM

Post #51403

Hi, Everyone my name is Annie..
I'm new here.
A very dear friend of mine sent me this site.["Elena"] She sent me the thread about "Men". That was THE funniest thing I have read in a very long time. Especially "Frank's" posts. Thanks so much Frank..I have not laughed like that in a very long time. It sure felt good.
[bc survivor..long road back]

Hope you don't mind me dropping in here. This particular thread caught my eye...only because hubby and I were out chasing our garbage cans down last night.And everything that was not rooted in cement. ;-}
This is the worst we have had it in a very long time here. Gusts up to 50 mph at times.
We went from it being almost 60 here yesterday to the present temp of 25.
I just joined tonight and I hope you won't mind me joining in on occassion here...
Take care everyone, and have a great weekend. I know where I'll be...in here with some hot tea.
Ohio_Annie
Ohio_Annie
Toledo, OH

February 10, 2001
10:32 AM

Post #51404

Hi, Everyone my name is Annie..
I'm new here.
A very dear friend of mine sent
me this site.["Elena"] She sent
me the thread about "Men". That
was THE funniest thing I have
read in a very long time.
Especially "Frank's" posts.
Thanks so much Frank..I have not
laughed like that in a very long
time. It sure felt good.
[bc survivor..long road back]

Hope you don't mind me dropping
in here. This particular thread
caught my eye...only because
hubby and I were out chasing our
garbage cans down last night.And
everything that was not rooted
in cement. ;-}
This is the worst we have had it
in a very long time here. Gusts
up to 50 mph at times.
We went from it being almost 60
here yesterday to the present
temp of 25.
I just joined tonight and I hope
you won't mind me joining in on
occassion here...
Take care everyone, and have a
great weekend. I know where I'll
be...in here with some hot tea.
Ohio_Annie
Northerner
Middlesbrough
United Kingdom

February 10, 2001
1:45 PM

Post #51427

A great big HI to you Annie! I started here just a few days ago. They're very friendly and helpful in DG.
I've got rotten weather today, here in the North of England. Rain pouring down and gusty winds all around and bitterly cold. I've got snowdrops out and other bulbs pushing their way through. I'm just going to put on a pot of tea as well. Supposed to be spring soon...
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2001
3:09 PM

Post #51445

Hi Annie and everyone,
The wind is stirring up things here, too! Last night I was draining water from the pool cover..today the pool may just blow away..lol. I had to barrel-in my winter sown seed containers outside so they weren't moving bullets down the road (maybe that would be a nice idea to spead some pretty flowers!). As I was coming home last night and admiring trees along the way, a little deer was just standing on the road in front of my driveway. I had to stop until he/she decided to move. I just hope it doesn't bring the family for lunch!
Trish
lantana

(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2001
1:12 PM

Post #51582

Finally found the book of poetry...Theodore Roethke

Big Wind

Where were the greenhouses going,
Lunging into the lashing
Wind driving water
So far down the river
All the faucets stopped?--
So we drained the manure-machine
For the steam plant,
Pumping the stale mixture
Into the rusty boilers,
Watching the pressure gauge
Waver over to red,
As the seams hissed
And the live steam
Drove to the far
End of the rose-house,
Where the worst wind was,
Creaking the cypress window-frames,
Cracking so much thin glass
We stayed all night,stuffing the holes with burlap;
But she rode it out,
That old rose-house,
She hove into the teeth of it,
The core and pith of that ugly storm,
Ploughing with her stiff prow,
Bucking into the wind-waves
That broke over the whole of her,
Flailing her sides with spray,
Flinging long strings of wet across the roof-top,
Finally veering, wearing themselves out, merely
Whistling thinly under the wind-vents;
She sailed until the calm morning
Carrying her full cargo of roses.
...from Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America