Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds: Attracting & feeding backyard birds

Communities > Forums > Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the SongbirdsReplies: 7, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Buzzdog
Sevierville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #4351111

I have enjoyed the articles on attracting and feeding backyard birds, but have a question regarding bluebird feeders. These are used for mealworm/waxworms during the nesting season, and for "bluebird pellets" during the winter months. I have found many bluebird feeders online, but my husband and I plan to build one. Has anyone had experience with bluebird feeders? I'd like to hear from you.
Happy New Year and Happy Birding! (:o)

This message was edited Jan 2, 2008 9:31 AM

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #4351752

Couldn't find anything on blue bird feeder but a lot on blue bird houses.

Paul
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 15, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7561765

I have all kinds of blue bird houses, made out of cedar and this year I am putting up gourds for blue birds in trees. I have tons of bluebirds in the summer but not in the winter. Do they all go to Tenn. during the winter???

feeders if you find out your information that you are asking please come back here and tell me??? That is interesting

Blue bird pellets - You buy them commercially ?? Where?? not Wal Mart I am sure.

Mill worms and wax worms I did not know that either, I guess I should make an effort to feed them - but I thought they just ate seeds or something?
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #7565403

Bluebirds don't eat seeds. They eat insects in the warmer months and small fruits from trees and shrubs in the winter. Mealworms to bluebirds are like candy to us!
I have a wonderful mealworm feeder. It keeps all the big birds from getting the worms.

I make a recipe called "Bluebird Banquet" that the bluebirds love. In fact all the birds eat it.. I make it in the winter to supplement their food.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 17, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7566379

birder17
Would you give us the recipe?
Where do you buy your millworms?
I will have to look up what a mealworm feeder looks like.

I always try to keep bluebirds - because they are suppose to bring happiness.

Bluebird of happiness - fleeting at best just like my bluebirds come late fall.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7570756

Liquidambar2. Yes, I would be happy to share my recipe. I will also look up the feeder that I highly recommend for feeding bluebirds and other small song birds.
Here's a place where you can purchase this feeder. It can be hung or put on a pole. Bluebirds like the pole best if that's possible. They will use a swinging feeder, but they prefer more stability. I have mine strapped down with a bungee cord on the railing of my deck.
http://www.duncraft.com/Baffled-Bluebird-Feeder-P4282C29.aspx that should take you right to the sight. If not, put Baffled Bluebird Feeder in a google search. I also put a few mealworms on a little saucer and set it on top of a plant stand and place it near my deck door. They will come right up to the door to eat. (Up close and personal! :) ) But, I ramble.

BLUEBIRD BANQUET
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 cups cornmeal (not cornmeal mix)
1/2 cup to 1 cups raisins
1 cup peanut hearts chopped in a food processor, small enough for bluebirds throats
1 cup sunflower kernels
1 cup peanut butter (I use chunky)
1 cup lard

1. In a food processor, put 1 cup of the cornmeal and the raisins. Chop until raisins are small. (Cornmeal keeps raisins from sticking together.)
2. In a mixer, put the rest of the cornmeal (3 cups) and the whole wheat flour. Mix.
3. Add peanut butter. Mix
4. Add lard. Mix until the mixture looks like cookie dough.
5. Add sunflower seeds, peanuts, and raisins.
Note: If the mixture doesn't look a little crumbly, then add a little more cornmeal. If it looks too crumbly, add a little lard. I "eyeball" the peanut butter (1/.2 jar) as well as the lard (8 really big serving tablespoons). Putting these in cups makes more mess.
I usually make two batches when I make the mess, but my mixer will only handle one recipe at a time. I keep this in my unheated garage in large plastic jars with screw on lids, or you can use tupperware etc.. I don't make this in the summer. The birds love this.

My bluebirds stay year around. Right now, I have a momma, papa, and two females from their last (3rd) clutch last summer. They are actively looking at my bird houses now to decide which one they want to raise their babies in this year. It's so funny, they almost always choose the same one even though they thoroughly check them all out over and over again! You should be able to keep your bluebirds year around in your area. Oopps, again, I ramble.

I get my mealworms from: SOUTHEASTERN INSECTARIES, INC.
606 Ball Street PO Box 1546
Perry Georgia 31069

1-478-967-6777

I have also purchased mealworms from Rainbow Mealworms for years, but I like the Southeastern Insectaries better. I order anywhere from 2000 to 5000 at a time. This is much cheaper than buying your mealworms from a local garden store or pet store.

And yes, part of my happiness is having bluebirds in my "own back yard"!! :)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 19, 2010
4:32 AM

Post #7570875

Thanks for going to all the trouble. I got it copied down. Speaking of blue bird boxes I need to clean all mine out in the next few days.

Ramble all you want - because I did not think you really were. You were passing on information that I really am interested in and want to know.

Thanks again
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7570889

You are welcome!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Fitsy 8 Jan 1, 2008 6:10 AM
excellent vhbt 0 Dec 31, 2007 2:10 PM
Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Fri gardnut 0 Sep 6, 2009 8:39 PM
My experience is a bit different Elphaba 42 Feb 14, 2011 2:09 PM
thrifty suet & squirrel entertainment Gardennot 4 Apr 28, 2010 5:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America