Staying warm

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Let's here how all you farm people are staying warm today.

I have the wood stove on full blast.. Went to the barn and plugged to tractor in to warm up... Have made two trips there so far... Tractor seems to think it's on vacation or something.. I will give it a little more time..

So, I am setting here with my long handles on ... two layers over that.. and my lined Carhart Bibs over that. They also have zippers on the pant legs so I can zip them down tight over my gum boots. I have two pairs of wool socks in my boots When I'm outside I have a fleece sweatshirt jacket on under my big coat so I can tie the hood tight around my face.

I have yet to figure out the perfect gloves. I need something that still gives me some dexterity .. So many gloves are too thick. But also need to keep my hands warm and dry..

I am wishing I had a tractor with a warm cab today.. Cousins are bringing several tons of hay .. We are having to do it when everything is frozen solid because we have had so much mud at the barn. But, I am not complaining about the much needing moisture we have gotten lately.

How bout that beautiful sunshine today.. !

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It has been snowing here since last night and we have an accumulation of about 4". I'm sure that's not much to some of you but I hate it anyway. It warmed up to the mid 20's today but still savage. Our barn is very cold. The horses fare well because they dry, out of the wind, and we give them extra hay and corn when the temps drop but taking care of them in the sunless barn is a killer. I have not found a way to keep warm. My feet are swollen and painful right now from this morning's trip to muck and feed. I have found help for hands. I wear a couple pair of those little knit gloves and then wear some vinyl gloves like you get 10 pair for a buck at the dollar tree over them. It holds in the heat and keeps my hands dry. Now if I can find some vinyl socks!!!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It was a beautiful day here, as well, high of 12 F, but sunny and gorgeous. We only got about 6 inches of snow overnight, much less than predicted, but who's complaining! I went with Stan to take my dad to the VA for a check up today, jeans, wool socks, leather work shoes lined with Thinsulate, appropriate underpinnings, waffle knit tee, heavy duty flannel shirt, leather jacket with about 10 pounds of insulation, wool gloves and a hat that I knit out of cotton chenille yarn using a triple thickness.

This morning we took a cow to the butcher, Stan had on tee shirt, waffle knit henley, flannel shirt, sweat shirt, jeans, heavy socks, fisher stripe coveralls, a double insulated hooded sweatshirt, knit hat, heavy gloves and pac boots with felt liners.

There's some stuff called warming cream that you can get from a couple of different catalogs. You rub it on to hands and feet and it makes them warmer. Dairy farmers sometimes use it on cow udders to prevent cold chapping. I used it some the last couple of years that I was full time in the barn and it did help to a point. I don't think there's anything on earth that can help when it's subzero with a 40 mph wind.

Cajun, you need some cows to warm that barn up for you!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hopefully when I retire, I will have a milk cow or two in the barn to warm it up! It was incredibly windy yesterday... I would duck in outta that wind whenever I could.

I don't think I have ever heard of fisher stripe coveralls. I have seen striped coveralls that made me think of a train engineer?

We ended up not getting the hay delivered today.. I have enough for another month in the barn.. so that's ok. and we can always go get it ourselves if the time comes for that.

I do love the fresh air in my face on a day like today..

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

Its -9 here this morning...but we're getting up to 25 supposedly today....we've got near a foot of snow on the ground, drifts in some places. It'll all be gone by the weekend if predictions come true for a January thaw...I've got the heat lamp on in the barn for the chickens. I think the goats add to the warmth in there.

Seed catalogs are streaming in so visions of warm days are swirling around in my head.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Kjo, those are the ones. I told Stan what I'd written and he said, And if anyone knows me they know that's a lot of material. He's 6'4", not so wide, but he has very wide shoulders so he has to have a 46 and extra tall extra large in everything. Such a joy to shop for!

The seed catalogs seem to be a little later than the last couple of years, which I like. Getting them in the middle of Christmas shopping and baking was a distraction I didn't need. NOW I do need that distraction. It's around 9 F right now and snowing lightly, I can see about 1/4 mile and after that, it all fades away. Everything has an outline of white.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It's 20' here and still snowing a little bit. Should clear up today.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

After yesterday's storm, today is downright balmy, above freezing. It's messy out there. Here's a quick recap. We had about 6-8 inches of old snow on the ground with some 3 foot drifts and when the wind hit yesterday it blew around creating a ground blizzard. Then we got rain, snow, sleet, rain, snow, etc and strong winds all day. This morning just walking is treacherous because there is a layer of ice over everything, but the sun is out and everything shines, including the top of the snow which still has ice on it.

My winter attire is many layers of not great looking clothes but they are effective if not stylish. Sorrel boots, carhart bibs, sweatshirt, quilted jacket, vest, neck warmer scarf, tie down hat with fuzzy stuff inside. Can't you just see me clumping down some Paris runway with all those models dressed in their funny clothes? Or maybe it's too late for a second career....

Thumbnail by MaryE
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Looks just about right to me, Mary.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

That's a fabulous outfit Mary! We had unseasonable warm weather here today. The next cold spell I will have my husband take my picture...

Love the hat especially!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

More info on the boots please.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Campmor.com has Sorel boots for women. They are called Caribou old style. I just looked them up, and was going to copy the addy for you, but it went from here to timbucktoo. Right now they are on sale for $89+ save $10. Farm stores like Tractor Supply should have them, I got mine at a similar place about 20 years ago. Mine have been sewed back together when the original stitching gave up.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. We just got a TS an hour away. I'll check it out. Are they warm? My feet freeze. Not much soft tissue because of the MD.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Well, they say down to -40, but my feet get cold in them if I am standing around a lot when it is really cold. They are better than anything else I've tried.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images