Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants: Hydrogen peroxide a solution?

Communities > Forums > Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal PlantsReplies: 7, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #4352636

Hi, Jax--great article with so much information! It makes me want to go out today and scavenge for post holiday plants on sale!

And just another thought-- I'm wondering if you've had any success with using a 1:20 Hydrogen Peroxide to Water solution to water plants to provide quick Oxygen to water logged plants and also to ward off fungus and other icky stuff that crops up from too much love?

I have heard of using it, but haven't really tried it...? Any thoughts.

Can't wait for more of your great articles! Happy new year. t.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4353017

Thanks for your kind comments, T. No, the peroxide method is a new one for me, but it sounds like it might have some merit. I'll have to check into it. You may want to confirm it also and write an article about it, if it turns out to be correct! Sounds like it would be useful info.

Also, best wishes for a bright and prosperous New Year!

Jeremy
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7437289

Have either of you found out any more about that? I have a spider plant (what's left of it) that my brother in law drowned, as he insists on giving it a soaking every third day! It's in a plastic hanging pot, and although it has drainage holes, they must've been blocked. When I washed it, the water just sat in the bottom! I got out a drill and fixed that problem.

After disposing of the sopping wet soil, I put fresh soil in and planted the poor scraps that were left, and didn't water them--that was yesterday. The roots are very swollen. When should I water, and should I try the peroxide solution?
Thanks, great article!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7438010

Thanks, KyWoods, for reviving this thread. I had totally forgotten about the suggestion to use hydrogen peroxide to resuscitate waterlogged plants and haven't yet tried it. My method of bringing plants back from the brink of death continues to be just to put them in a shady spot and water them very carefully and see how they respond to less or more water from the signals they provide from the condition of the leaves.

It might be an interesting experiment to see if hydrogen peroxide could help one of the many rosemary topiary trees that were shaped to resemble Christmas trees and are now sitting with damage from overwatering on the bargain plant shelves. My experiences with rosemary plants is that once the roots are even slightly damaged from overwatering, the entire plant will die, but maybe the hydrogen peroxide could provide the additional oxygen needed for some botanical CPR?

I will add that I was somewhat thrilled this season to see that many of the decorative containers in which seasonal plants were placed now have drainage holes! Did the growers and sellers finally wise up and realize that the pretty non-draining containers were killing plants? Or did a rowdy army of DG members that had read my article descend upon the nurseries and demand that the plants have holes in the bottom of the decorative containers? My ego, though huge, is not quite large enough to believe the latter is true. LOL But I am glad to see that more of the decorative pots now have drainage holes and fewer plants are drowning in lovely wrappings.

Jeremy
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #7439411

Great news--hey, ya never know, maybe a bunch of us sent them nastygrams, LOL!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7505870

I think there is lots of evidence that H2O2 mixed with water is a good remedy for overwatered plants. It gets the oxygen to the roots. You can google for more info. I think it's a 1/20 ratio for the mixture.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #8983999

Update: the aforementioned drowning spider plant is now thriving and producing 'babies'! We finally got through to my brother-in-law that it's not an aquatic plant, lol.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #8988399

So glad the Chlorophytum is happy and throwing offspring into its surroundings! I still have both the solid green and variegated types of Spider Plants as groundcover plants in my garden. We've had an exceptionally mild winter, so they barely have noticed they are growing in a climate that has occasional freezing weather.

Happy Gardening!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
WOW! doccat5 10 Jan 2, 2008 1:15 PM
Great! MitchF 3 Jan 1, 2008 9:11 PM
African Violets Codered1 1 Jan 25, 2010 4:36 PM
Thanks CLScott 1 Jan 27, 2012 2:18 PM
New gizmo works! bariolio 1 Feb 2, 2012 1:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America