Photo by Melody

Bromeliads: Frost Florida Zone 10 tonight Do I cover bromeliads?

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 10, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4352696

I am new to bromeliads. The are calling for low of 30 in Naples tonight, brrrr. I mulched around them. Do I need to cover them also? Thank you!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #4352736

I just finished covering all of mine. Check it out...

Thumbnail by mellielong
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4352797

Thanks for the picture. Wow! You have a lot! I just covered the orchids I have in my trees. I think just leaving my Christmas lights on all night is going to help the most. I better get back to work!
tervherd
Lima, OH

January 3, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4353546

LOL! Not to make light of your plight, but the temp here in mid-west Ohio right now is 11F and will get well into single digits before we start "warming" back up to a predicted high tomorrow of 20!

Sharon

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4353814

That's why we live in Florida! I may not be able to grow daffodils worth a dang, but I've got an entire bromeliad garden, LOL!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

January 5, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #4363948

Mellie and all, How did your broms and tropicals do! I covered my neo bed and not one had any damage! I am so surprised, as it was cold, cold...even my many broms throughout the yard that i didn't cover had no damage at all! But i did leave out a few large pots of Thai Hybrid Crown of Thorns, and they did get burned pretty bad...many Kalanchoes were frost burned too! sue

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4363960

Mine came through just fine. There was one I covered but the tips of a few leaves were hanging out and I can see the damage it did just on that small piece. I'm so glad I covered mine or I think they all would have looked like that!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

January 6, 2008
3:52 AM

Post #4366055

Me too! it does make a difference! sue
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #4366125

Hey guys, glad yours came thru ok.
I have just become enthralled with Broms! I brought most of them in as they were in Pots. I don't even know their names yet or much about them. I had left one outside in the ground and it was fine. We had a low of 29.
Michelle:)
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

January 6, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #4366826

Greetings All ...

Here in Winter Park we had a low of 28 - which sustained for approximately 6 hours. Anything I left unprotected fared quite well; 2 huge pots of crotons came through without so much as a burn, a frangipani had minimal tip damage. Several varieties of dendrobium orchids growing on a date palm were untouched! I don't know why - though the constant breeze may have had something to do with it. All of my bromeliads, begonias, and hoyas are under heated plastic. I worry more about water temperature in my large koi pond - since lower temperatures open the door to bacterial infections in my fish.

I've had enough winter!!! ... bring on the heat!

John
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

January 6, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #4367315

Glad your fish were ok...i have two very small preformed ponds, they are only 18" deep...lost many swordtails, but there were way too many to begin with...i have netted out many of them and flooded both ponds to wash away much of the decaying bodies..but i know what you mean John...i don't know how many will survive..the wild "gambusia" i have collected from our drainage ditch, are alive and perky...you can't kill them if you tried!! I am sad that some of the very lovely "lyretails" have died...but i see many have survived..I like the cold weather, but my plants and fish don't !! sue

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America