Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: My homeade bator!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 453, Views: 5,204
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4353797

Ok...I finally got some pictures. I was so worried about the temperature dropping/raising while we were at work today, but I came home to find it at a steady 100.4. The manual egg turners are just baskets I formed out of the same wire as what is in the bottom of the box. I used a 15w fishtank light, and I dont open the lid...so the temp stays pretty darn accurate. I am very proud of this. ;)

Thumbnail by mcamden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #4353823

I feel like such a professional! I used to work for omaha steaks (which is where this foam box came from). I could have used that as a selling point! "And...Mrs. Smith...when you are through eating your steaks you can turn the shipping container into a homemade incubator!" Who WOULDN'T buy steaks knowing that?

This pic shows my clever 'adjustable' air vent in case it gets too warm in there. :)

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #4353844

See my digital thermometer? I also added a cup of water...but not sure that is right. Some folks said sponges...but I also heard just water. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4353869

Here you can kinda see my little baskets for the eggs. I tied some string loosly around them to help keep them from falling out. Although I can only do about 6 eggs at a time...I was thinking I COULD add another layer of baskets and do a dozen at a time...but my little farm doesnt need that many new chickens each year!

Thumbnail by mcamden

jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 3, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4353890

That is SOOOO clever!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #4356132

Although I was really upset that I got up once last night and the temp was down to 97.0... Will that kill them? I quickly closed the air vent and it warmed back up to 100.1

I think it was only down for about an hour since the time before when it was 99.9 THis morning it was back to the usual 100.4
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 3, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4356158

Think about chickens. I don't think their butts stay exactly the same temp either. (of course, I have lousy luck with the incubator, so I got some silkies.)
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #4356181

Too funny. I was thinking the same thing...I wouldnt think that a one hour drop from 99-97 would be THAT bad...but then again I am also no expert. I put them in two days ago...so I will check them in 2 or 3 more days and see how they are doing.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #4356461

Hi mcamden,

I followed you here from the "New to Chickens" thread.

Some answers to your questions:

Q. "How hard was it to install the thermostat?"

A. It was very easy. I am by no means an electrician. I just went on-line and looked up basic electrical wiring and took it from there.

Q. "Do you think I could just buy a digital house thermostat and install that inline with the power cord to the lightbulb?"

A. Again I'm no electrician. I do believe the typical house thermostat is low voltage and can't handle 110v. (If someone here knows for sure please chime in. If I find out it can be used and if I do it again I will switch to the digital.)

Here's some pics. It's been a couple of years since I used it so the styrofoam has fallen off. The large front door is for acessing and turning the eggs. The little hinged door on the bottom rear is for sliding the water pan in and out. I had to change the water every now and again or it got yucky! I only hatched 2 dozen but it is large enough to do 4.

Thumbnail by johnnybegood

johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #4356470

More pics. I wish I could figure out how to post more than 1 pic at a time.

johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #4356472

Again

johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #4356476

Yeppers

johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #4356477

Last one.

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #4356598

Thank you so much for all the pictures! I dont know if you can do more then one pic at a time...at least I never have. I did look at the house thermostats and found the same thing...because they are low wattage...plus I couldnt find any that went over 90 degrees. I looked at a water heater thermostat...but it didnt have a diagram, and I couldnt figure out how the wiring would work. I will try to look online...but if you find a diagram, or have an easy way to explain...please let me know!

Thanks again for the info and the pics!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4356623

Any chance you could get a picture of your thermostat that kinda shows how the wires are hooked up? That looks exactly like what I was looking at at Menards last night. Wonder if I can find someone who is getting rid of a water heater.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #4356876

Ok,

My finger is pointing at the wire that gets plugged into the wall. You can hook these up to be supplied by 110v or 220v. This really is the only tricky part. Mine did come with a diagram. For 110v, attach inputs on #1 and #3. Your outputs will be on #2 and #4. In my case I am using 2 bulbs so I hooked up two wires to each output. You will only be using one bulb so one wire to each output.

I'm not sure these things are all the same so be sure to get one with a diagram.

JB

johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #4356972

Oh another thing,

Hot water heaters keep water at a hot temperature. To get the right temp I had to turn it almost all the way down.

JB
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #4357000

Be carefull what you buy, some don't go down to 110v. Here's one that does both 110 and 220 at a good price.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1276833&cp=2568452.2631246.1260882&view=all&parentPage=family
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4357055

THe one you used is EXACTLY what we found. I just called the other half to let him know we are going back to the store tonight to get one! I will make sure it is 110. I was confused about the other wires...but makes sense since you have two bulbs! That is so awesome.

Last question...isn't there supposed to be a wire that goes into the water on the water heater to let the thermostat know when it is hot? By doing this did you have to add a wire? Or does the thermostat just use the air temp to turn on and off?
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4357168

Madam,

You are very smart lady. Yes, some water heaters use a thermo-coupler to send water temperature information back to the thermostat.

In this case the thermostat just picks up the ambient temperature that it's living in and there is no need for a thermo-coupler.

JB

P.S. Here's a pictue of my last home-made pizza. Sorry, I couldn't resist...grin.

jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #4357260

Great pics!!! Good idea on the turner, never would have thought of that. Thank you for posting !!!

I know what you mean about those styrafoam box. I used 2 last year to make bators/hatchers. I also used an aquarium and put foam on the outside of the glass. They worked. I felt the aquarium held the temps better than the other...I used the aquarium to hatch my runner ducks..lol.

Julie =0)
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #4357337

Ohhh...you are making me hungry! I LOVE homeade pizza. Clever with the green onion...never thought of doing it that way. I normally go with broccoli, chicken, and tons of cheese!

I am also excited that I can just use the thermostat without dealing with building another addition to my incubator! This sure has been a fun learning experience. The guy at Menards last night asked me if I was working on a school project...I couldnt stop laughing!

I told him what I was doing this for and he couldn't quite understand it. I said if I could get some school kids to do the work for me I would be all for it! maybe I should advertise! 'Melissa'a Learning Adventure' ...' send them my way and I will let them take home some eggs and hatch them themselves!'

Hahaha...All of the benifit without all of the work!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 3, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #4357344

And...I still want some of that pizza! new years resolutions! Pizza is on my 'naughty' list. :)
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #4357405

Broccoli and chicken sounds good. I make a chicken and garlic pizza that's out of this world. Those are bell peppers you see. I hid the onions under the copious amounts of cheese along with the sausage, mushrooms, and pepperoni. LOL

It shouldn't be on your naughty list. Everything I listed here is good for you. Umm, ok maybe not the sausage. Err, the copious cheese thing may not be so good. And the pepperoni,,,Oh, never mind.

JB

You certainly don't want to see pics of my pork eggrolls.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 4, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4357953

Hey...so I hooked up the thermostat. It turned on, and warmed up to 96 degrees (I had it set to the minimum 90) then shut off. But it didnt come back on until the temp dropped to around 80. Is that what yours did as well? I am just wondering if 16 degrees is going to be too large of a discrepancy. What say you?

I did turn it up to were it came back on when the temp dropped to 90 but then it also heated up to 107 before turning off.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #4358061

Good, Good, Good,

Remember what I said in the other thread. Get your paper and pencil out and start a log. When the light comes on record time/temp. When the light goes out do the same. Calculate a mean temperature to be your target temp. I found it is good for the eggs to have this fluctuation. It also helps with your humidity. Instead of adding a cup of water to the bottom, I would just put a small pan or soup bowl of water in with the eggs if possible. It is easy to change when it gets yucky. Remember the eggs have mass and fluctuations in temp will not affect their actual temp.

I'm so proud of you both. Try to keep the incubator in the living room or wherever you watch tv. It's easier to keep the log this way.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 4, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4358159

So...are you watching us through the window or what? Hahaha...we brought the incubator into the living room (where we are watching Smallville). I have recorded several sets of temps...

on off
86.7 100.3
89.2 110.1
90.0 106.7

I am guessing I am nearly as close as I am going to get now! I never thought to put actual water in the bottom...sounds icky! I just have a small tupperware with a brand new washcloth sitting in it. Maybe I dont even need the washcloth...but the one cup of water goes in a day with the cloth...when before it wouldnt evaporate for weeks! What do you think is the best medium temp?

Oh Kemosabe!
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #4358249

I can't see you but gosh I feel like a grand dad. 101 is a good target temp. Continue with your current humidity with the cloth thingy. Remember to be ready in 21 days from your start for the chicks to hatch. You will need a heat lamp and a large cardboard box. At first I just put a towel in the bottom of the box for the chix. After a while you will need straw or shavings. Aim the light in one corner and the chix will come and go as they please. They have an internal thermometer that tells them if they're hot or cold. If they start panting it's too hot. lol.

Go here for all your info. These guys are great.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKIncubation.html

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 4, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #4358395

We got day old chicks last spring and raised them with a heat lamp...etc etc. I think we still have everything we need for this eggs. :) so...I went REALLY crazy now and installed a little motor. It came out of a little heater. The fan blade was too big...so I made a small one out of cardboard and hooked it up the thermostat as well...so as long as the heat is flowing...the air is a blowin'!

Check it out!

Thumbnail by mcamden

johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #4358567

Oh wow,

Melissa, I really don't think you need all that. But I may be wrong. When you look a the pics I sent, you can see I don't have an airtight container. So I wasn't concerned. As far as a fan hooked to the thermostat...Girl you're starting to scare me now. Remember this is a still air incubator. But anyway as long as the temp and humidity stay good you will have good results.

JB
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #4358576

Also remember,

A good hatch has an 80% success rate even for the commercial ops. So if you get 4 out of 6 to hatch you did real good.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 4, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #4358758

Yeah...mine is pretty darn sealed, and i read that the more even the air around the eggs...the better. Heck...I will see what happens, and if no good then I will just try again! I am just all eggggcited about the thermostat! I got it about perfectly centered. 92-109.5...so 9 degrees in either direction for the most part.

I would certainly be excited to get 4 of these to hatch...but either way i will probably do another batch as soon as this first round is done.

Thanks for all your help! I will keep things posted as we go along.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 5, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #4364271

So on day 4 (today) i candled all the eggs in my incubator. Each one of them has developed an intricate system of veils. Darn...should have taken a picture! But I am not sure it would come out very well. My chickens lay eggs that have armor for shells...so it was hard to see into them even with my 1,000,000 candlelight spotlight!
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #4366962

Hey Mel,

I'm still here. Good job.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 7, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4372925

Hey JB...should i be concerned? I candled the eggs tonight (they are 6 days). I could see 3 or 4 of the 7 wiggling around, but the embyros look smaller then the pictures I found online for 6 days. As long as they are getting bigger and moving...is all ok?

DId I tell you I LOVE that you came up with the hot water thermostat?!?!?!?! Because it is fabulous!
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #4374696

Yes, all is well. 15 days and counting...Peep...Peep.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 9, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #4379021

When I was candling the eggs last night I was very excited to see that 5 of the first 6 i put in have a HUGE amount of activity going on. I was able to finally see into the eggs clearly, and the enbryos were about the size of a dime and moving like crazy! Seriously...looked like they were all on cafeeine highs! Hahaha...but one the last egg looks very odd. I am going to guess it has gone bad...but not sure. I thought the same thing the night before...but last night it looked all sloshy, and dark. I also did not see an embryo.

Hey JB...should I toss it?
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #4379525

I'd leave it in for another week or so just in case. Certainly won't hurt anything.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 9, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #4379645

Sounds good. I have heard of bad eggs 'exploding' in the incubators...so I may but something between him and the other eggs just in case. :) I cant believe how excited I am about these eggs. I am passing on this knowledge to all my friends, family, and even co-workers!
BeautifulBrahma
Lennox, SD

January 9, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #4379693

You're making me excited, and I don't even have an incubator yet, lol! I'm not near talented enough to make something, like, at all! Someday, I'm going to break down and buy the $130 incubator at Campbell's Supply.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4380017

mcamden- the sloshy looking one is bad. you
might want to remove it. i got this info from
'Story's -Raising Chickens'. It is a great book
with all stages of poultry keeping.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #4380086

I am so impressed with your 'chick-bator'. I just
ordered a small one from GQF manufacturing. It
will be my first time trying my hand, and the cost
is 18.95 with 4 quail eggs. The bator is just 14.95
sans quail eggs, and I thought what the hey, I'll give
it a go. It looks like it will handle 4 chicken size eggs.
If I do well, I will go larger.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 9, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #4380399

I must say...this was easy! My cost was as follows:

Item Used Cost:
Container: Shipping Box from Omaha steaks: Free
Raised floor Wire and mesh wire from gargage: Free
Power: Old extension cord Free
Humidity Old can, washcloth, water Free
Viewing Window Glass from old photo frame Free
Light/heat Over bulb $1.50
Temp Regulation Water heater thermostat $13.00
Thermometer Digital kitchen $10.00

Total cost: $24.50

Plus I can do up to 12 eggs, and I just plug it in and go! If i ever want more I can just get a larger stryrofome box since Omaha Steaks well...is in Omaha...and I used to work there! I recommend making your own...much more fun!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #4380614

So the only heat you have is the light bulb, and you
have managed to keep your temp so well? That's
great! I don't think opening it for a short time will
change the hatch rate, but your turner thingy sure will
make the task quick and easy!
Did you use any kind of sealer at the joint of the
glass and styrofoam, or just cut to make a tight fit?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 9, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #4380692

I just cut the styrofoam a little smaller...then squeezed the glass down. I actually put three layers of glass. I stopped using the turner since it ended up being easy to just open and turn after I moved to the thermostat and a 40w bulb. It heats up within 2 minutes, and then shuts off until it gets to the minimum level...then comes back on. It uses less electricity this way also.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #4380711

The eggs being on the wire rack seems better than
if they were in a carton, for circulation and humidity
sake. I read about just setting the carton of eggs in,
and propping it to get the angle and turn, but wonder
if too much moisture would build up between the egg
and carton. How many days are you in to incubation?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 9, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4381105

We are on day 8 tonight. I agree about the egg cartons, but if I were to try that I would probably cut them waaay down to get off as much of the carton as possible. I certainly wouldnt put them in a closed carton...but it could work! Putting them on something they dont roll around on would be good though...cause mine were rolling when I just had them on the wire bottom...but larger wire may not allow them to roll as much.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #4381977

Mel,

Looks like you really started something here. As far as the egg cartons go,,,That's all I've used and after cutting off the tops I've had no problems. I have never seen any condensation buildup. And again, I achieve an 80% hatch rate equalling commercial ops. Maybe 20% of the time the roo just missed...lol.

There is one thing I think you could share with us is how you are candleing your eggs. This is one thing I have never done and I'm sure with all the views on this thread people would truely like to see this, including myself. You may not be able to get a picture of the egg but your setup it self would be interesting.

Another thing, if anyone here would like to share photo's of they're incubators please do. Lot's of people are interested in seeing how different they can be.

JB
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #4382330

Oh BTW,

I use the paper/cardboard cartons compared to the styrofoam ones.

JB
makj
Santa Ynez, CA

January 10, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #4382357

doesn't anyone have a broody bantam hen? I have a hen that would sit on eggs 24/7 364/days a year if I let her:)
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2008
3:52 AM

Post #4382425

Hey JB
I just use a flash light. Take some stiff thick paper(I use cardboard) and cut a hole smaller than the egg you will be candling. Place the paper/cardboard over the light and hold egg over hole opening and make sure to cover all light except what shows through egg. I think its really cool to see the little chick developing. If the egg is white and not to dark you can watch the chick even "swim" in the egg. This does not work to well with brown eggs or some other poultry. Just try It and you may be able to even see through the brown ones within the first week. You may not see a chick, but some vein netting.
Geo
Remember its best to do this in a dark place. You only want to see the light through the egg only.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 10, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #4382496

OK...new expert here! Hahaha...JB, all my eggs in the bater are brown (as you can see from the pictures) the shells are also like Ft. Knox. Family always jokes that you have to get the hammer out if you want breakfast! I took a Magglight (brightest one i had) then I took a half empty roll of electric take...and taped it to the middle of the glass. Then I took a couple pieces of foil together, poked a hole out with a pen, and taped around the hole. Then put it over the tape stuck to the end of the light, and tied it with a rubberband.

I know...I know. You all are thinking "What the heck is the electric tape roll for?" Well...I will tell you. We all know an egg is not flat...it is well, egg shaped. So Now I can use the roll of take as a nice 'holder' for the egg. It forms a nice seal without pushing a curved eggshell against a flat glass surface. By doing this I was able to see very clearly into the eggs.

I then got really wild and did the same thing to a second light! Now I shine a light from both ends at the same time and my chickadees light up like the Christmas tree!

Alas...I tried to get pics...but my digital camera doesnt understand low light...so this is the best one I got. It just looks like a dark spot!

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 10, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #4382509

Just to give you an idea of how fast this little guy is growing...here is a pick of him two days ago. I know its just a dark spot...but you get the idea right?

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 10, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #4382522

Aaaaand...just since I feel like sharing pics...here is one of Bob the duck the other night when he got water-logged! OOOPS! Hahaha...dont worry. I blow dried him for two hours, and he got to sleep with a heating blanket.

Notice how he looks like he is sinking? Yeah...you ever try soaking a down pillow in water, and they ringing it dry without a spin cycle? That is what I had to deal with. About 2 liters of water came out of his down and feathers.

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 10, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #4384726

I did end up taking out that egg also. Since I didnt want to waste the experience I decided to open it and see what the inside looked like...WOW. It was beyond rotten. I could see the embryo that had started to develope...but it looked like it only made it to about 4 days. The smell was beyond horrible, and I am glad I took it out. Had it burst inside my bator it woudl have really been disgusting!
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4385055

When I hatched mine I had 20 out of 24 eggs hatch. They were all buff orps. I never dared to open the ones that didn't hatch though. I always thought they were never fertile in the first place. I guess I was wrong...lol. It saddens me to think the eggs were fertile and started developing and then didn't make it for what ever reason.

Keep us posted please,

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 11, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #4385677

JB...you are going to think I am the coolest person in the world! Muahahaha...I am in the process of uploading some nice video of one of my babies. you can see him swimming around inside the egg. I will post a link to my site as soon as I have it up. :)

Melissa
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 11, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #4386860

OK...I posted a new thread...but in case no one is looking here is my link to the chicken video. I will get a better quality one tonight.

http://www.freewebs.com/ryanandmelissa/Embryo.wmv

You need Windows Media Player to watch it.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #4387560

It sounds like all is going very well with your embryos!
I am one of those who gets sad about the interuption
of development. My hen Blanca is definately not a setter,
being a white leghorn. Currently she is my only hen, with an
Ameraucana/cross rooster, Davey. During one heavy laying
period she was laying a jumbo a day. I figured they
were fertile, but did not have an incubator for them.
Just as a learning experience, I cracked open eggs
to observe thier development. The weather was hot
and one was very developed, and I felt bad for it's loss.
I knew they would not develop properly having not been
turned and temps fluctuating so, but I had several
stages of growth I could learn from.
I was able to candle them easily placing them over a hole
cut in cardboard and shining a flashlight thru the back of the egg.
Blanca's eggs are white and large, so the degree of
low light was not a big issue. I plan a fixed maglight
arrangement for the next project, which is a small
clutch of quail eggs. I like your maglight idea, Mcamden.
Tho the camera didn't oblige, I can see the emryo in
your pictures.
I'm glad you removed the rotten egg. Storey's book
says the exploding eggs really set up a bacteria situation
in the incubator, not to mention the grossness!
Ah, the particle cardboard type cartons you use JB,
sound like a 'less moisture' environment. Congrats on
your high hatch rate. I will be happy if I get a 50% hatch
rate on the quail. It will be my first attempt on a very
small scale to see how I do. The eggs will be shipped and
I know this rough handling takes it's toll.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 11, 2008
7:07 PM

Post #4388071

Well good luck with your quail! I am very excited for my first round of chicks. I am sure I am being silly...but I think the rest of mine will all make it to hatch! They are all doing so well, and the one that wasn't I kinda knew from the 3rd or 4th day. I will be excited to see what the different crosses end up looking like also! We have a Mascovy duck who I have read makes a great chick parent. We are hoping to use these babies to help integrate him to living with the chickens this spring. He is very interested in the eggs, and even tried sitting on one one day.

I can only hope! The video is not the greatest...but I am going to try to fix that tonight. I am going to take another one, and try to download the full file. This one was just cut down too far for internet and hosting purposes...but I think my website can handle a few more meg!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #4391727

removed for space issues

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 12:04 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 12, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #4392424

I am sorry...my other half was playing with it. Try this one...it should work.

http://www.freewebs.com/1216clarke-union/thedevelopingchick.htm

The video is not phenominal...but you can certainly see the chick moving around inside.
makj
Santa Ynez, CA

January 14, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #4398923

I took a pretty good picture of "Henny Mama" aka the boss, she is the broodiest chicken in the yard:) she will sit on your lap and happy to snack out of your hand:)

Thumbnail by makj

truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #4400082

Wow. I checked out the video- that is so awesome.
I'm amazed at how much they move around. I think
the interupted embryo I looked at was close to that
stage. It will be interesting to see at which point they
become 'cramped' in there.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 14, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4400562

Oh yes. I am having fun with this. I will try to do a new video of them tonight. They are at 14 days now...so one week left to go! They sure are getting big...but still have plenty of room. One of my RIR girls lays eggs that have a thinner shell, and are smaller, so I am use that one for my video. I can see the movement in all of them, but I can see every vein in the smaller one. I will try to do a higher quality video as well...and we will see how that comes across.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4400636

You might want to try a piece of cardboard with
a slightly smaller than the egg hole, and light it
from the back of the egg, resting the egg in front
of the hole on something. You may already do this,
but the vid looks like the egg was lit from the top, and
I can tell it may be easier seen with a back light?
I find the incubation process absolutely fascinating,
and I am so anxious to get my quail eggs. Hubby and
I shopped for a few doo-dads we would need, this
weekend. Woop woop! I'm going to check the post
office today!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 14, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #4400877

Actually...I was lighting the egg from the top AND the bottom. I used two mag lights with foil, and hole in the center. I spent two days perfecting this to get the most light. Backlight does not work well for some reason with these eggs.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #4401082

Wow, then your hen must lay some very stout shelled
eggs. Sorry, the second light source did not register
in my pea brain. I did notice that the egg is very
large. Just one week left. Your muscovy duck sounds
too cute. Foster Duck! to the recue. I look forward to
the next embrivideo!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 14, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #4401451

Embrivideo! I LOVE it! Yes...our hens all lay very large eggs. In fact...we have to put most of them into Jumbo cartons...and they still dont alway close! We do have one hen who lays smaller eggs...but she is OOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDD! The funny thing is that her eggs have the tallest and brightest of the yolks though.

I am contimplating sneaking them into my work. I work in a tall cube...and while no one would see them...I wonder how much noise will register when they hatch. Since i cant take next Tuesday off...I am thinking about it!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #4404745

Would they be ok to make the trip to work? I bet
everyone at work would just fall off thier chairs, then
maybe no work would get done cuz it would be just
too fun to have them at work!LOL.
I was reading in Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens
about yolk color. Seems it can be an indicator of
several things. Orange to dark yellow, green feed
yellow corn. Dark yellow, marigold petals. Medium
yellow, yellow corn, alfalfa meal. Pale yellow, white
corn or coccidiosis.(rare). I don't know much yet
about the disease, still reading.
My one current hen lays jumbos. Hubby has had
pity on her a number of times when he's seen the
eggs.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 15, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #4404926

I feel sorry for a few of my hens that seem to small to lay those big eggs. We do have one huge hen that I dont think has any trouble, and she has never laid anything less then a jumbo.

I did get a new embivideo hahaha...last night...but it is not working on my site yet. I am playing around with it, and will hopefully have it up tonight. It is a much larger video...so some with the dial-up (sorry Lora) may not be able to view as well. IT does show the veins and umbilical cord VERY well though. The movement has certainly slowed down, and the chicks are occupying about 20% or a little more of the eggs now. The shell of my smallest has also developed some darker brown discoloring on the outside of the shell where the air pocket is. I just noticed this morning, but didnt have time to get a phone. Has anyone ever heard of that? I checked the chick, and he was doing fine inside.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #4404988

Is it a ring around the base of the air cell?
Is it just the shell is darker, a clouded ring inside,
or is there any kind of seepage? Let me know, and
I will look at my book to check it out. If you don't hear
back til later, fret not, I have big animals to take care
of and an appt today. I will try to find out for you.

Okay, had time to look this up before taking off to
do chores: Storey's book says when candling after
the first week of incubation you will find one of three
things( I know, your's are older)
-a webbing of vessels surrounding a dark spot-the embryo
is developing properly.
-a thin ring within the egg or around the short circumference-
the embryo has died.
-nothing (or a vague yolk shadow) the embryo has died, or
the egg was infertile.
Since I am so very new to incubation, I do not know if
this is a bad sign for your emryos. I hope not! I will
check in later to see how they/you are. I check today to see
if my quail eggs have arrived.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2008 9:20 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 15, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #4405862

All of the eggs have developed correctly, are fertilized, and are moving around well. My other half said another egg looked similar but not as dark. But it is JUST the shell. Very odd. I wonder if it has anything to do with the candling. I just used a flashlight with foil...but it is where the egg would sit on the foil that the dark areas occured. I will take a picture if it is still the same tonight...and then post.

Thanks for looking it up for me though!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #4406509

It sounds like it may be due to the foil, if it is the shell
that has the color. I know when I get my foil really
hot, it gets a smokey haze on it. The book did say
"..within the ring..", and your's was outside. Whew.

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 15, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #4406583

That makes sense. I will look at the foil itself and see if that is it. I am sure that it is since everything else is doing well. Hopefully I can get the new video fixed when I get home...not sure what the problem is. Its amazing now much time I waste at work! There is so much more I could get done if I were at home!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #4406855

So much more we could get done if we didn't work!:-0 lol

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 16, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #4409343

Oh yes...so I got that video to play...but it is horrible! I think my camcorder had a problem. The picture was almost cut in half...feel free to go take a look, but the quality is worse then the first video and this one is over 9meg!

http://www.freewebs.com/camden-lenaghwedding/

I spent all last night cleaning house...so tonight I can free to get a better video. I have a backup camera I can use if mine doesnt cooperate. We were able to see the beak on one of them this morning! now...THAT was cool!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #4411795

removed for space issues

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 12:05 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 17, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #4414623

There really isnt anything to 'building' the candler. I have seen detailed instructions online before that require wood...nails...glue...etc. Oh my goodness! I took a maglight...then I took a half empty roll of electrical take and stuck it to the glass of the light...and taped it on. Then I took a couple sheets of foil, and poked a hole through the midle with a pen (perfect size). Then I tapes around the hole so it didnt expan over time, and put the foil over the end of the light and roll of tape. I stuck a rubberband around it and Whala! The roll of tape allows me to 'set' the egg in a little instead of trying to put it on a flat surface. SInce my eggs have very thick shells I did this with a second light, and shine the light from both ends. I can place the two lights on the bed (since that room is the darkest) and then put the egg in between them. They hold the egg perfectly without it falling, or me worrying about dropping it. They are due to hatch on Tuesday! So I am very excited. They are all doing fabulous as well.

I did try fixing that video, but my video editing software has a bug somewhere...so tonight I plan to uninstall it...and try to reload. Hopefully that will help.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #4414847

Since you are hand turning your eggs, how often do you
turn them? Do you plan to stop turning a few days
before the hatch? Hope you get your video to work.
I would love to see them so close to hatching.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 17, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #4415007

I have been turning them 2 or 3 times a day depending. Lately...since I have been getting home so late it has only been twise. Once in the morning, and once the last part of the evening.

I am hoping they hatch in the evening so I will be home. I will be sure to post pictures of each of the crosses after they come out. I was laughing that one of them had the hiccups last night. :)
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #4417233

Hey mel,

I just wanted to touch base and say I'm still here watching. It's getting really close now and I just wanted to say how proud I am of you and your sharing of all this info. So far you have had 430 views on this thread alone, so there are a lot of lurking viewers gaining exellent info from you.

Another thing I just have to mention is, when the moment comes for each of these darlings, they will start to peck their way out of their shells. Take note on how they do this. It's quite amazing how they will start pecking at one spot and work their way all the way around the egg and then end up at the starting point. So they must turn their little bodies all the way around inside the egg to achieve this.

This takes conciderable amount of energy on their part and sometimes they will get tired and take a break just to rest. You must fight the urge to help them when this happens. Best thing to do while this is in progress is just watch and take pictures.

Also, if you are at work when some start to hatch don't worry. They will be just fine inside the incubator untill you get home. They're not hungry and won't need water for some time after they hatch.

Cheers,

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #4418209

Thanks Jb! We sure are excited over here in Iowa! Tonight I candled them again and i could see FEATHERS! The things I have seen and learned from this just keep getting better. I think I finally got my video program working...but the video I have is from 2 days ago, and they werent very active. But it does show all the veins really well. I am uploading to a site now and will post the link as soon as I get it running! This one is 15 meg...so for those with dial up it may not work very well...anything smaller just looked like a bunch of fuzz.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #4418274

Ok...here is the link. I wish I could get this better...but at least you can clearly see the large veins. When I turn the egg you can make the chick out better as it falls also.

So...JB...I head some 'tapping' coming from inside the incubator while I was candling one of the eggs. That couldnt be one of them could it? They still have 5 days left.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #4418279

Crud...forgot the link!

http://www.freewebs.com/camden-lenaghwedding/
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #4418335

Girl,

Call in sick tomorrow. It is happening...lol. Get your camera ready. Get your box and heat lamp out. Get a towel. And don't forget...leave them alone! Gosh, I'm so eggsited.

JB

I'll stay up for a while with you...lol
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #4418396

Oh, BTW,

I'm not sure how this will affect the hatch, but if you could get video of the whole process that would be great.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #4418761

Hahaha...FIRST of all...I am off tomorrow. I work an extra hour every day just to get every other Friday off. BUT...I dont think there is any chance they are coming. They are only occupying about half the shell! They definately need a few more days. Maybe I am just crazy. I just checked one of them that 'fell' over when 'someone' kicked the incubator on accident. Anywho...while I had my little fella out I heard ANOTHER tap! Even so...I will watch them ALL weekend...but I am guessing they need a few more days. :) If I am here...it will ALL Be on video! I have 5 cameras!
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #4418862

Bed time,

See you tomorrow,

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
5:10 AM

Post #4418906

I cant sleep! I am sitting here singing that song from Rocky when he runs up the stairs! Check out what I found. FIRST...this video of the INSIDE of the egg. But dont worry...this chick did not get hurt.

http://chickscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/explore/embryology/day08/graphics/embryo_chick.mov
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
5:10 AM

Post #4418909

AND I got pictures of the first few days...here is 33 hours old.

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #4418914

72 hours...

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #4418917

Day 4...96 hours

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #4418919

And day 5...unfortunately I couldnt find any good pictures like this beyond day 5
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #4418923

Darn...hit send too soon again!

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
5:13 AM

Post #4418926

And a close up of that pic...

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
5:13 AM

Post #4418928

NOW...JB...I am going to bed! Nighty night!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #4420585

Any more tapping? I am dying to find out what is
going on! I am excited, too! And, it is way cool you are
off today. Then, you have the weekend to listen and
watch.
As JB said, don't touch, and let them do their thing.
I have read that it can take 24 hours for the entire brood to
hatch.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 18, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #4420956

I will keep turning them today, and tomorrow...then leave them for the last three days. i am VERY eggcited! Hahaha...Bob the duck is excited too. He is going to be playing mommy.

Too bad we got MORE snow last night. I just got done snoveling in front, and now i need to go start the 4wheeler and plow the drive. I turned the heat light on for the chickens since it is SO cold. But alas...90 degrees and climbing indoors! Our wood heat sure is nice!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #4420992

We have a wood stove that works like a charm.
I love them. Too bad about your added snow. I know
everyone up north is freezing. We have 34* and was
a heavy mist, then pouring rain, but no sleet or snow.

Plow the drive?
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4422888

Good Lord Mel,

You're killin us here. Will you just post something?

JB

Sometimes I just crack myself up...(Oops, no pun intended.)
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 19, 2008
8:02 AM

Post #4423705

Post something? Come on now...a girls gotta eat! Yes Truest...I plowed the driveway with our snow plow that is mounted to the four wheeler. My dearest hasnt decided to trade in his little celica that sits 2 inches off the ground for something bigger! Our driveway is also the steepest hill I have ever known of...hence the neighbors saying we live up on the mountain. Here is a picture of it going up...but this does NOT do it justice.

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 19, 2008
8:15 AM

Post #4423714

Wow...its 2am? I guess no one else is awake anyway. I just checked and turned the eggs again. THey are getting much less active the closer we get. But they are all still doing well. Nothing is really showing up on the camera now that they are getting bigger...and it gets darker and darker inside the shell. I also havent heard anymore tapping tonight...but I did this morning. At least one of them is getting anxious! I think one may be more developed then the others...but that shell is so thick I cant tell. The egg looks more full definately though.

I will update you tomorrow JB! Hope you all have a good night!

M
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #4425087

removed for space issues

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 12:07 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 19, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #4425142

My goodness! I would love to have some flat land...but the hills are really nice to look over too. I am hoping to get an earth mover up here next year to make a flat spot for my round pen, and then we will level off the top of our 'mountain' to make way for our main house. We built the guest house first...so we are living here until we could get the main designed and built.

Thumbnail by mcamden

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4425185

removed for space issues

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 12:08 AM
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #4426318

How many days left? remember, they need the last
few days to orient themselves in the shell before
pipping. I'm sure you've read this, just checking..:-)

I am as anxious as any here! Can't wait!

Ok, plow the drive. Sorry, you move snow like we
move dirt down here. We have a steep drive, too.
Our grade looks very similar to your's.
It's really bad at the entrance, for about 30 feet it's
almost 40* incline. The rest is a gradual incline to
the top. I will never try to leave if it is iced over.
We would slide clear through it over the road, and into
the ditch, into a fence. If we didn't get plastered by
a car before that! LOL.

Will check back often to see how your eggs are doing.

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 20, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #4428825

Too funny. At least oure switches to go back up as you leave the drive. We tell people who are leaving that if you start to slide just go with it! If you try to slow down or stop you will just go off the road. If we get any ice at all or more then one inch of snow I have to have my other half park at the neighbors and then I pick him up in my truck. we have to do 4 wheel low most of the time...and there was one day in December when I slid all the way back down after not making it. Pretty sad.

As for the eggs...they are doing well. 2 days ago they were only taking up about half the shell...then last night I couldnt make anything out! They filled the shells overnight! I turned them for the last time last night, and now i will just sit and wait. I did want to get out my stethoscope and see if I coudl hear their hearts...but not sure how to do it since the shell isnt flat! Either way...I will let you know if that works out or not. :)
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4429755

Maybe you could make a 'gummy cup' of some sort
to funnel the heartbeat sound. Is the day supposed to
be Monday Tuesday or Wednesday? Some say if the
temperature is on the warm side, they pip early, and
likewise on the cool side-but a day or so late. Let me
know if they come right on the expected day, and I
will note your temp. Some incubators come preset
to 99 degrees, but I understand a degree in either
direction is not bad.

Sliding down the drive must have been an experience-
not knowing where you'll end up. 4 wheel low sounds
good to me...

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 20, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #4430152

They are due Tuesday. I took JB's master idea of using a thermostat from a hot water heater. It turns on when the temp drops to 88, and then warms up to 110...roughly. At first I didnt think this major fluctuation would work...but they are obviously doing great, so I am convinced!

I saw an incubator that maintained 99, but with no fan or turner for $70. I made mine for a total cost of about $25...and I can upgrade with a larger foam box and reuse everything else.
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

January 21, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #4431984

you r still ages away from tues day her its tuesday in 2 hours i was getting a little confused at first when you said tuesday is 2 days away but time difference confuses me alot i hve been watching this thread for a while now and thought i would say hello.hello. i hope everytthing goes well with your baby chicks
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #4432319

Hello, Luckycharm_1 . Mcamden has done a great job,
huh? I am nearly as excited as she is.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 21, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #4432327

'Hello'! Too funny. Yes, time differences can be confusing. I remember when I went to Italy several years ago, and I had a hard time adjusting to the time. It is only Monday here! Tomorrow we should have some new chicks! We are very excited, and hopefully at least some of them wait until I get home to come out of their shells!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 21, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #4432331

Oh my...you are all too sweet! This is my first shot at hatching eggs...so we will see how it goes. My family always said that I had the animal thumb...I have a green one on one hand..and the other is whatever color goes with animals! Hahaha...we will see how well I did tomorrow!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4432452

It's a furry thumb! LOL. My family says I am the
animal one, too. I sure hope they haven't all
finished thier thing, and dried before you get home.
If I could, I would come up there and babysit for you.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 21, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #4433132

I will keep an eye on them tonight to see what happens...but I am fairly certain they are all coming tomorrow. My prediction is that every one of them will hatch! One of the 6 eggs was put in 4 days after the rest...so in case I miss these 5...I will have one due on Saturday when we will be home all day. The next batch will be planned much better so they are due on a saturday instead of during the week. :)
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #4433306

You might want to keep in mind, that chicks at
different ages in the brooder will often peck terribly
at one another. Keep close watch on your little guy
that comes on Saturday. He may have to be brooded
seperately? I am not sure-
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #4433625

Hi Mel,

You may want to take the fan out today. The chicks will be way too young for high speed Carnival rides. HeHe...

JB
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 21, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #4433652

Hi, mccamden, hope you get to see your chicks right away. I will be watching too.

If you have to brood the chick separate, make sure it can see the others. We did that with our new flock this past spring when we put them outside alongside the older chickens. We strung fencing between the pens and used another shed to house them in at nite. When we opened the gate to let them roam together, we had no trouble with the older ones pecking the chicks.

You would only have to use a 100watt bulb with a reflector and a shoebox for shelter to brood a lone chick. We did this with 50 chicks (without the shoebox, but a carton cut down on one side), and all of them lived. Of course we had them in the garage and had heat there too. But this was in April and it still gets mighty cold here sometimes then.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 21, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4433935

Dont worry JB...I brought in a piece of the 1/2 inch wire mesh like what is on the floor. I am going to remove the can of water tonight and install the wire across the box to block them off from the fan, and the lightbulb. I will probably just pull the cardboard fan blade off instead of disconnecting the whole thing. I will also seperate the loan egg tonight so then dont cause troubles with him when these others hatch.

We are doing the same thing with the brooder. I am doing one box with the wire mesh to keep them seperated. Since we are doing another round starting on Saturday we will have several chicks in the house until it gets warm. We have heat lamps to use, and a have a large oval stock tank that we will use when they move out to the garage. I am so excited! What happened to the girl in Australia who was incubating her eggs? I havent seen anything from her, and they should have hatched a while ago.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #4434145

in reference to this suggestion:

"You would only have to use a 100watt bulb with a reflector and a shoebox for shelter to brood a lone chick. "

I might add, a plastic shoebox, that costs about a dollar at the dollar store, would be a good way to keep the little one separate and still see each other. sound slike mcmaden has it covered, but in case someone else is reading...

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 12:09 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 21, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #4434233

We also want to try to get Bob the duck to take care of these chicks. He loves things that are smaller then him...and the big chickens are not very nice to him...so we are hoping this will be our way of integrating them in together. I wont allow the new chickes and Bob to be in with the adults for several months...but they will live in the same house at about 4 months. I plan to put in a large divider to keep them seperate, and then after a few months of that I think they should take to each other. At least I am hoping!

I will make sure to take dozens of pictures. I am starting the breathing now I am so excited! 'HUuuuHuuuHeeeee...HeeeHeee Hoooooooooo...heeeHeeeeHoooooo...' Hahaha...just kidding!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #4434259

removed for space issues

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 12:10 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 21, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #4434280

Too funny. Do you think I could apply for maternity leave also? When I worked for Well Fargo I actually got 3 days off when I had a colt born. Everyone there was just SO excited and they followed the pregnancy the whole time. It was really cool. THOSE were the days !
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #4434455

;-P
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 22, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #4435404

So far there is no action. I put a divider in the bator to keep the chicks away from the fan and bulb afte they hatch. I am crossing my fingers!
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 22, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4435427

BTW how long do you have to incubate guinea eggs? I have found a source in my area to get some in the spring, and would like to incubate them about the time I'm planning on doing hen eggs.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 22, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4435529

28 days...they take an extra week then chickens because they are weird! Hahaha...just kidding. But I think 28 days.
nzgirl
Wellington
New Zealand

January 22, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #4436301

Im very excited here in NZ lol... I check in a couple of times a day hoping for an update :) I've learnt so much its great...! Also since this threed begun two of my banties have become clucky so I ordered some eggs and they've been sitting on them 7days so far... Would it be okay to candle them...? And do I need to do anything special when they arrive...? Or do I just leave it up to the girls...?
Maree :)

This message was edited Jan 22, 2008 12:46 AM
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 22, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #4437550

Hi, again. Another stupid sounding question; what's the reason you folks say not to feed chickens raw potato peelings? I have been doing so for years with no ill effects, and also they pick at the salt blocks and I have been told not to give them salt either.

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 22, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #4438176

You can certainly candle the eggs at 7days. i would do it now before they get too far along. You should be able to see the embryos moving quite a bit today. NOt sure about the potatoes...

i guess I will be watching these things hatch after all. I just got home from being 'redeployed' from my job. I was basically fired...but with 2 months of pay. I just cant believe it. Life sure can be crappy at the best possible times!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #4438199

I think if they choose the salt, it may be ok. I am not
certain, but if you feed them scraps that have been
salted, they have no choice in the amount. I know
that some chemicals inhibit their ability to use other
vitamins efficiently.
NZ, an interesting experiment for me would be to
brood one banty's eggs yourself, and let the other try
on her own, just to see how they do. But, if your birds
are valuable to you, you may want to brood all of them
yourself. I would think it would be ok to candle them,
making sure you put each banty's eggs back from
under the hen you got them, in case one is better at
it than the other. It's neat you have 2 going at once-lots
of possibilities.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #4438207

mcamden- I am so sorry- that is terrible! Are you ok?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 22, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #4438547

I am frustrated...sad...depressed a little. It sucks because I lost access and in turn LOST all my personal pictures, files, email address, and plans for my wedding that is in just a couple weeks. Happy times I guess. Plus I just found out that this piece of foil I had in the bator to keep the bulb from lighting up the whole room last night caused the eggs to be cooler since the thermostat must have been reflecting off the foil and shut off too soon...so they have been under 90 since late last night! I am just praying that they will stiill make it. Wouldnt that just be the icing on my crappy cake!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #4438621

I don't much like crappy cake. It begs us to make backups of all
of our information. If things aren't too hostile, perhaps
you can explain the info situation and wedding plans
to the former employer, and they might let you have this.

Try not to let 'things' get you down. They are just things,
after all. If you are spiritual in nature, I would love for
you to see a beautiful place. It is a slide show, and
can brighten even the darkest days. It's called
InterviewwithGod.com it could be aninterviewwithGod.com
not sure which. It's beautiful.
Have you tried to make a playdoh or dough kind of
funnel attachment thingy for your stethoscope to
listen for a heartbeat in your eggs? I hope they are ok.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #4439541

YES< 28 DAYS for GUINEAS. remember to always give up to three days after the date incase it took that long to warm up the eggs...

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 12:11 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 22, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #4439554

I have seen that slideshow before. it is very nice. I am trying to not let things get me down...but it is hard. I have been emailing my ex-xboss trying to get her to get me some things...but she will only send me about 2 emails from my personal emails, and 1 word doc of my choice. What the crap is that! Anyway...out of my 300 wedding planning emails I get 2. Wow...this shoudl be fun! The worst part is that I worked from home every day after regular work...so I used my work email for everything because I didnt have time to use two of them.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 22, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #4439565

Also...I never did get anything made to funnel the eggs to listen to the beats. Maybe I will try again since I have nothing else to do now...but dont want to mess with them too much. I am just hopign I didnt get them too cold!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #4439575

i was worried about our eggs being too cold last night. we can just do the best we can do.

can you contact the ISP to see if copies of your emails are still on their server? hurry and do that before she cancels that account...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 22, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #4439945

She is getting me a couple... but I will still loose tons of them. SHe makes the desision...I tried contacting a close friend in our operations center to see if he could do anything, but he said that even they didnt have access. It just sucks. I havent not had a job is so long. I forgot how horrible it feels.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #4440203

OH MY GOD! I was JUST telling Ryan that I thought I must have killed all my babies with that darn foil, and I picked up one of the eggs and there is a crack! THEN IT CHIRPED! How cool..ok...I will keep the camera handy, and let you all know what happens next. the first one is one of the RIR...I think this was my favorite too! Hehehe..I am SO excited!
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 23, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4440271

Well, wonderful news about the chicks.

So sorry about the job, I vaguely remember what it felt like to get fired. Of course you will get a better job and have a good life.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #4440324

whoopee! talk about a silver lining, and you will be there to see it all. try not to worry about the job thing...

tf
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4440417

Dear Melissa,

When I first read your latest posts, I had mixed emotions. Shock, horror, sympathy, and anger. Shocked mostly because I know your talents. Angry, because I'm sure your employer doesn't. I just want to go down and throw rocks at them. Of course, that won't solve anything anyway.

All those that have been following this informative thread have truely become to know you. You are extremely smart, vastly creative, humorous, and have a wonderful outlook on life. We can all see this just in how and what you post.

Thank you for capturing our attention, getting us laughing, having us think and ask questions, and yes, making us cry. We are your freinds and you have many in this garden.

If I'm ever in your area I must look you up.

JB

I may bring some rocks anyway.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #4440459

I've got some nice big rocks i can chunck your way... what is your employer's name LOL
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #4441273

Just when she was feeling down, it chirped. Well, isn't
that a fine how do you do???? Wonderful Mcamden!
It sounds totally amazing that you can hear them chirp
from inside that egg. I am thrilled for you. Hang in there,
mcamden and chicks! Go chicks, go chicks...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4441367

Oh wow...you guys sure got me laughing now! I feel SO much better. I decided to make dinner and take it to our neighbors who just had a baby. We took the eggs over, and plugged them back in. Their two year old was truely amazed.

While we visited we heard some more chirping, and a second chick poked through its shell. So far both are RIR's. Before we left I watched as the Red Sexlink chick started shaking in its shell. So far I haven't seen anything from our Black sexlink...but that is also the biggest of the eggs. The one egg that I was using in the video, and pictures is also the first one that poked through. SINCE I dont have to go to work tomorrow...I will be staying up all night watching them. There is better TV on at 3 am then 11am anyway!

Have I told you all lately that I love you?

Hahaha...I talk about you guys all the time. If anyone heads up this way you are always welcome to come stay here! I am also thinking of driving down to Kansas City with my brother who has a job interview next week...I guess I can look at this as a long vacation. And at least I get paid for the next two months...hopefully I find something else before that time expires. :)

If you look at the egg in the top right you will see the first of the chippng.

Thumbnail by mcamden

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #4441588

oh, my goodness, how delightful!

can't wait to see your new babies!

and, we may take you up on that offer. we need a vacation [if we can find anyone to take care of the livestock], and the GuineaFest is somewhere in Iowa i think... i keep telling myself one of these days I'll go LOL

probably not this year, but I can dream!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #4441617

Guineafest? hahaha...never heard of that before! I live about 30 minutes from Omaha..where i USED to work. Hahaha...

These chicks are wonderful. No more progress on their escape, but they are chirping an aweful lot. JB was right...it is hard to fight this erge to help them. But I am doing good. I can see this may take all night though.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #4441621

Please be careful, Mcamden, this is their very fragile
time. I know you are so thrilled and excited- be patient,
dear one. WooHoo! Chicks poking through!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
5:00 AM

Post #4441630

I am keeping my distance...just watching them. I am just very excited for them to come out. The first one that started coming out around 6 has been chirping SO much. How long does it normally take for them to come out start to finish? The second chick hasnt made the first hole any bigger yet either. I wont bug them...but curious to know how long this could take.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008
5:38 AM

Post #4441701

Hey Mel,

You have graduated. Now you're on your own. Just watch, Listen, Marvel and Record. The heavens will look down upon you tonight.

Good Night,

JB

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
6:55 AM

Post #4441777

1am...and still waiting. I actually fell asleep and woke up thinking i missed it. Nope...little chicky is still just pushing gently on the small crack. The other egg that I sent the pic of has a slightly larger crack. Dont think anyone else is budging yet. But I am talking them through it. Hahaha...I may need to make some coffee or I may miss this.
nzgirl
Wellington
New Zealand

January 23, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #4441916

I’m so sorry to hear about your job... !( There's something better around the corner for you... I’m glad your chicks are peeping their little hearts out to you... hmmm new life you just can not beat it :)
I may have a few rotten eggs I could send you way instead of throwing rocks LOL

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 7:05 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #4442735

While throwing eggs at them DOES sound like fun...I am going to try to think positive. At least they are keeping me on the payroll for two months, and helping me (or so they said) to find another job. Not letting me have my files and emails is what really makes me upset.

Ok...new on the chicks! The one that stated at 6 last night hasnt made any progress. The one that started around 8 last night hatched out completely at 6am this morning. I will upload that video(s) to my site today. A third egg chipped a hole this morning around 6 as well and that egg that was 'moving' last night has continued to move, but no breaking through yet. My black sexlink chick has had no activity...but that is also my largest egg.

I will post all the pics I have so far on here...

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4442760

As he broke out...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #4442772

Thumbnail by mcamden

truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #4442801

OH MY GOSH! It's the proverbial early bird!
Yea! Go chicks go chicks...
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4442814

watching in amazement...living in the city definitely has its down side...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #4442829

And a couple hours later...

Thumbnail by mcamden

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #4442832

I'm so excited...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #4442838

I think he is getting bored now. The one chick who has been trying to come out for 16 hours! ...well this guy is pecking at him through the little hole. I thought I would give him some time and see if he can coax ths other guy out. I know the 3 RIR/Buff orpington crosses will hatch, but my red sexlink and black sexlinks are not coming along very well.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #4442879

I have shared your great day with a couple friends-
they came to check out your new babies. I have read
that it can take 24 hours from first pip. I hope they
all are able to hatch, mcamden.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #4442934

I hope so too! 24 hours? Wow...The first guy is awefully tired! He tried climbing into my hand to take a nap a bit ago, but I didnt want to take him out of the bator until he is all dry. He was pretty upse when I put him back down, but now he is sleeping by himself. He is a very pretty color and I am just hoping (even though I am calling them all HE's) that they are mostly girls.
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #4442953

Congratulations!!!! he is so cute and sweet...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #4443017

Oh thank you! I am hoping that the rest of them get moving. I didnt realize it took THIS long for them to hatch!
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #4443044

kinda like watching that pot of water that never boils, huh?? after the first one gets some rest, maybe he will be able to help coax the rest of them out...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #4443128

Yeah...he has been getting up and working on the chick that is partially out. But he just fell asleep again. :) He is so cute!
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #4443169

he wants a play mate...can't wait to see more of them hatch! I have to thank Joan for telling me about your thread, I have been talking to her about her new arrivals coming in a couple of weeks, it sounds like a lot of fun to raise them!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4443177

sorry for lurking, I just had too!! how cute!!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #4443179

Do you have any info about transferring your chicks into
the brooder? I bet you have everything all warm and toasty
for them. The literature says they are well nourished for
up to 2 days after hatch, from their yolks. I wonder what
a mother hen thinks, and how she acts, while waiting for
her brood to hatch. I guess you are a prime example,
mcamden!LOL

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008

Post #4443200

Well??????? What do brand new babies eat? I haven't the foggiest..

Time for more pictures please...

(Thank you so much for sharing)
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #4443207

I do have the brooder ready for them. I have a heat lamp, and all the things I used for my day old chicks we raised last summer. ACTUALLY...the father of these chicks is the survivor from our batch of chicks we did 9 months ago. :)
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4443212

Hey,ladies! In case you find me missing from elsewhere,
I can be found here, watching this...I have been
impatiently waiting for weeks!!!

My rooster Davey alerted to something out back. When
I opened the door- a FOX ran off! GRUMBLE! grumble!
I sent one of my dogs out to rustle the bushes..I know
that fox will be back!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008

Post #4443214

They eat chick starter. :) I will get some more pictures...but they are not that exciting since no one else has made it out yet.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008

Post #4443216

OH NO.

I love fox...but not when they're looking for chicken (or quail) dinner!
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #4443227

tapping fingers and waiting...come on little chickies...show your beaks...
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #4443233

Joan, send the goat after him...LOL...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #4443234

I would keep your chickens in for a few days, and keep the dogs out. We had a fox out here last summer, and after a couple days of dealing with the dogs he moved elsewhere. Good look with that. It can be hard keeping or babies safe! I am working on more pics. This first chick keeps falling asleep...and i just dont want to disturb him! hahaha...I want another one to hatch already!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #4443281

Hannah, the mama, will butt one of my dogs clear
across the yard! I don't think I could catch those
birds- I only do that after they go to sleep! I sent
both the dogs out to just hang around for a while.
The chickens went under the house for now. It is
a pretty gray fox, just doesn't look good so close:-o

It's hard work hatching out- poor little goober. I guess
you know which one will be the brood boss!LOL
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4443287

Ok...HERE is a cool picture! #2 finally made it out with help of his 1/2 brother!

Thumbnail by mcamden

bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #4443301

Way to go little chickie!!!!
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #4443308

That picture is adorable...the one still in the shell has a look on his face like he is trying to figure out what to do next...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #4443313

awww how sweet!!! Thank you for posting these!!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008

Post #4443321

and another...

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #4443333

Oh yeah...he took 18 1/2 hours to hatch!

Thumbnail by mcamden

bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4443347

WOW...what wonderful shots!!! I've got goose bumps..LOL...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #4443414

The older one was pecking at the toes of this new one...just like brothers! Although...still hoping they are girls. hahaha...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #4443431

OK...if you guys want to share just the pics I added them to my personal site. I also have a video...but it needs to be encoded before it is viewable.

http://www.freewebs.com/ryanandmelissa/thechicksbirthday.htm
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008

Post #4443449

Hi Mel,

This is really sooo neat. Isn't it amazing how they peck an almost perfect little circle. It does seem to take a long time for them to escape their eggs. When I did mine I didn't seem to notice the slower ones, because I had so many, I was busy watching the faster ones.

Just thinking about things here, I wonder, because of their fast growth rate, if they are actually growing themselves out of their eggs?

Just a thought.

JB

You just made me a Granddady,,,AGAIN!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008

Post #4443453

Be careful about picking. If they have too bright a
light, they will pick at each other. Sometimes til death.
Do you have a red bulb? They may need a red bulb
in the brooder, for some reason this helps. If they
pick a sore spot, smear it with black tar or a commercial
med for picking, and keep it medicated til the wound is
healed.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #4443513

I planned on keeping them in the bator until they are dry...I will move out the first two together so they dont have to be alone. I have a blue bulb for the heat lamp for the brooder. I could use a red light that i have as well, but I have the blue in for now. It is a 250 watt. Right now these first two are back sleeping again.

I think you are right JB...I think they maybe do 'grow' out of their shells. I cant believe how uncomfortable it must be in those shells the last couple days.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #4443547

A perfectly good reason to come out and please
their new mommy!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #4443578

I moved the first chick into the brooder. He was chirping but as soon as I moved it so he could see me he stopped and fell asleep. I did end up switching the bulb for the 120 red lamp. And now the new hatching doesnt have to get picked on my his older sibling.
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #4443635

can we see a picture of him in his new home?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #4443681

If you really want I can take one and download, but it is nothing exciting. I just have a large box, their feeder, cup of water, and heat lamp. After they have all hatched I will move them into a larger box and then they will have the nice waterer as well.

After this second chick is all fluffed up I will take a picture of the two of them in there. They are SO cute though!
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #4443702

oh, I can wait on more pictures, whenever you get the time. I've been showing these to my son (he's 16), I thought he would just turn his nose at them, but he has really enjoyed seeing them!!

Thank you so much for letting us all be a part of this...I will check back in in a little bit to see how they are doing.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4443721

well I got a picture of them anyway...the newer of the two is in the front. If you look at that fuzz ball in the back you can see his tail. It looks JUST like a cotton ball. I also put the blue light back in because the red one was WAAAY too hot.

Thumbnail by mcamden

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #4443791

That little face just says..Are you my mommy? Has your duck seen them yet?
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 23, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #4443795

the one in the front posed real pretty for you...and the older one does look just like a ball of cotton with a beak stuck on it!! they are just too cute...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #4443838

Bob hasnt seen them yet. I wanted this second one to get moving a little better before I introduce them. I just got several emails from folks I had been working with. I guess several people just walked out yesterday in protest, and they are VERY upset that I was let go. They did a good job making me feel better too. :) ONe of my programmers even told me I was SO overqualified, and that I should have been a programmer with them instead of a Business Analyst. Oh...I feel loved.

AND it is snowing again!
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #4444169

Hello again,

After seeing your brooder it brought back memories of mine. I didn't have towels like I had said before. I just had newspaper layed flat. They are able to get around better on something flat and it's easier to change once soiled. They may have a hard time getting their much needed exercise with the towels.

Isn't it neat how they will turn their heads to one side and look up at you when you approach the brooder?

JB

Edited for spelling

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 5:03 PM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #4444213

I decided to use the towel after reading a lot about newspaper and splayed feet. They are actually getting around very well, and hopping up and down quite a bit. They have also been snuggling in with each other which is REALLY cute. I wish these other three would get on the ball!
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #4444269

Ok,

Now I think I do remember reading about splayed feet but I never had a problem. Have they started to drink or eat yet? I read somewhere someone said you may have to teach them to drink. I thought that was the funniest thing I had ever heard of. I certainly didn't have to teach mine how to eat or drink. But with some breeds I guess it's possible. Still thinks it funny though.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 23, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4444302

No 'training' them to eat or drink. I just needed to show them where the water was and then they figured out the rest. I am REALLY hoping the other eggs hatch. What happens if they dont hatch in time? Can they starve inside the egg? Or suffocate? The one that started a hole at 6 this morning hasnt made it any farther...and the egg that was wiggling around last night hasnt even gotten a hole yet. I am worried the shells may be too thick on those eggs.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #4444565

I never had one start to pip and not make it. It does seem to be a long time for the one that started. I never heard of starvation, suffocation, or shells too thick.

Tamarafaye is doing 90 maybe she could be some help.

JB
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #4444589

Mel,

I just D-Mailed TamaraFaye and asked for some input.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #4444641

Wonderful, thanks JB. The one that started that is still in the bator is doing good...just slow. The other two arent doing much. I will just keep waiting.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4445301

'Whos the man??...SHAQ! I mean...Melissa!' Hahaha...so here I was all worried that ALL my eggs would not hatch as I had originally expected. WELL...they are! The red sexlink chick finally broke through the shell...and it is a big breakthrough. The last RIR is still going slow...but going. And the Black Sexlink is shaking in the shell! I think he is getting into position finally.

YEAH!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4445387

Hoorah!!!!! c'mon chicks! I am glad your ex coworkers
could lift your spirits. That is good news. Also, your new
babies are doing a great job of lifting them, as well.
I have read that putting down pine shavings, then
paper towels on top for a few days is clean and a good
start for them. The teaching of drinking makes sense if
they have never seen a water station before. Just a dip
of the beak in the water, they know where it is. Sprinkling
the feed around on their walking surface til they know how
to find it at it's proper place have been put out there in
books and websites. However, your chicks sound as if
they are getting such a good start. Good Job, Mama!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #4445524

I did do those things also. I dipped their beaks into the water to show them what it was, and I have the started feed sprinkled around. My cat went in by them and tried to lay down and push one of the chicks under her belly. This cat is afraid of mice, and wants to be mother to everything. DOnt worry...I would never leave her unsupervised even though I know this cat woudl never hurt anything. She raised Bob the duck, and I have some great pics and videos of the two of them on my site.

Thumbnail by mcamden

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
4:38 AM

Post #4446002

oh, tha tlooks liek my cat! i have to type quietly so i don't wake the baby.

congrats on a great hatch. i am down to 89 eggs now. ;-(

we were gone to pick up our balck australorp pullets. i really recommend anyone reading this consider getting breeds that are considered threatened and hold history with our nation:

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html

click on poultry to scroll down quicker

i am so thrilled for you on your babies and proud that you were so valued at work by most people :-)

i really wouldn't use the towels, i have heard of them getting their little nails causth in the loops. try shelf liner, a roll is a buck at the dollar tree.

red lights are best, try using a clip and moving the bulb further from their box. of ocurse, they would be just fine left in the incubator for a couple of days, but you know that...

got to check dmail and get to bed, thanks to JBG fo rthe heads up. HA, she {mccamden} is more experienced than I am, but thanks for the vote of confidence. i hope to find those cales to my new camera before mine start to hatch so i can share too.

night!
tf

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2008

Post #4446706

So, momma???? What's the news today???? Everyone born? or is that hatched??

Anxious for more pictures!

WAKE UP!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #4446791

get up, get out of bed! we want to see more chicks!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #4446890

I'm waiting too! Wake up!
I love your kitty's 'snowshoe' feet. I also really love the
not often seen friendship between animals. Makes me
go AAAWWWW.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #4447447

Wow...its amazing how late you can sleep when you dont have anywhere to go! Ok. We had a third RIR chick hatch at 3am. That means that all the RIRs were the fastest out of the starting gate. The Red Sexlink is withing about 2 hours or so of hatching, and the black sexlink (the one I was MOST looking forward to seeing is probably not coming til this afernoon. But I can see his beak in there. I am just curious what the BSL and Buff cross will look like. I will get pictures of all three little pigs as soon as I get woken up a bit.:)

Also, we are only using the towels until they are all hatched. I wont use anything smooth because of all the things I have heard about splayed feet. Even Bob walks a little splayed from (what I blame) is walking on the wood slick floors. I will switch to some form of shavings after another day or so.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #4447516

What is the BSL again? I am looking forward to more
pictures.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #4447630

Black sexlink. it is a barred rock hen crossed with a rhode island red rooster.

From the Whelps site: Black Sexlink Chicken - Baby: can be color-sexed. Males have white spot on top of head; Females are completely black on top of head. Mature: Black with orangish-gold coloring on the neck, breast and tail area. Quiet bird. Good layer of brown eggs.
Also known as Red Rock and Black Star.
Weight: Females 5.5 lbs.

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #4447823

Ok...here are the first 3 RIR/Orpington crosses

Thumbnail by mcamden

truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #4447832

Oh my goodness, they are gorgeous. What a difference
a day makes. How are the others coming along? Have
an ETA yet?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008

Post #4447870

The Red Sexlink is within about 2 hours or so of hatching, and the black sexlink (the one I was MOST looking forward to seeing is probably not coming til this afernoon. But I can see his beak in there.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #4447902

I guess you'll know right away what the BSL is when
you see it. Are they noisy, or resting a lot?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #4448048

They were all VERY noisy when they first hatched, but now they are quiet. They are funny...get one and run around and jump over each other...then 10 seconds later they all pile together and fall asleep. 10 seconds of activity seem to be all they can manage.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #4448114

I LOVE them. They are so cute. I wish I could hear their little cheep, cheep.

Thanks so much for sharing with us!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #4448368

If you go to my site...AND can get the video to work you can hear them. :) I may try uploading a better video a little later when they are all out and chirping. You have to click play twice.

http://www.freewebs.com/ryanandmelissa/thechicksbirthday.htm

#4 just got out of his shell...but his eyes arent opened! The other three all came out with open eyes. JB...is this normal??

Melissa
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #4448506

They need increased humidity when hatching. If
they have all developed properly, pip, then are slow
to hatch, it could be due to a decrease in humidity
and temp.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #4448519

Oh, I think I'm gonna cry! I watched it 3 times! How sweet is that?

PS That badger is one ugly booger.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2008

Post #4448652

Adorable!!! My cat came running when she heard it...lol!!

Where did I miss the badger?????????
And just a quick note: Even though they are rare to see, we saw one come out of the corn field across the road from our farm one time. One ugly looking creature!!!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #4448864

I increased the humidity the last three days, and the temp has been consistant. The humidity is high enough that it is condensating on the glass, but maybe not high enough?

The badger was on a link to the left of that page. It was called Sweet Revenge. That was a thread from last summer when all of our first flock was killed by that one badger. We raised them from day old chicks, and one day we went out and found something had burrowed over 2 feet down, and 2 feet over to come up on the inside of the coop. I had taken every precaution possible...but he still got in.

Anyway...after a few nights of not sleeping and staring at the monitor of a night vision camera I finally caught him when he came back to eat our duck Sam who he had burried just on the other side of the run. We had no idea he killed all our birds and then burried them.

Anyway...I got him. Our current rooster is the only survivor from that horrible tradegy. I also spent a few months reinforcing that coop. It now has 4 inch concrete burried all the wall around it, and going out about 2 feet as well as down. I also have added barbed wire and chicken wire. If anything gets in now it will be because it found a key to the steel gate...or the deadbolt on the steel front door.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #4448907

looking great! you might want to fix that middle RIRs feet now. Bob may just seem splayed because of the Muscovy in him, they waddle really funny LOL i recall something somehwere about using twisty ties from bread, but let melook and see what home remedy i can find to help correct his feet...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #4448912

OMG, that was fast, i went right to it, and just in time, i'll be neding this info... the ortho link at the guinea site...

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/problems/

tf
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #4448922

If you have some condensation on the glass, I would
think that would be enough. Some say improve ventilation
after all have hatched, reducing moisture helps them to dry.
But, your situation is unique in that they are staggered in
their hatching. Poor little guys! Has the one opened his
eyes yet?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #4448931

don't fret, a momma hen would just sit on the hatched ones while waiting on the others, as long as three days...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 24, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #4448971

He is doing good now. His eyes are open, and he is moving around well. I put him in a plastic bin in the brooder with the other chicks. This way he can dry out while seeing them, and without them picking on him. None of these chicks have splayed feet. I was just saying that that was why i didnt want to put paper under them. Bob is fine I think. He can fly around, and runs after the cats just fine. I just got done giving him a bath, (which he LOVES) and now he is sleeping again.

I am surprised that even though these chicks are 3 different cross breeds...they all look identical! The buff rooster must hold the dominant genes. Maybe they will change as they get older.

Still one chick left to go...he is just staring at me now. :)
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 24, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4449023

Thank you TF...Three years ago, we got some day-olds from our local mill. They ordered them from a hatchery. When we got them, some of them had feet so crooked, I don't know how they were able to walk on them. One araucana hen (at least that was what she was supposed to be) had feet that were curled into almost balls. She was able to walk, but had I know about the chick shoes, I could have maybe straightened them out. My Rocky has one crooked toe which is why I decided to keep him when we were culling the roosters from the flock. BTW, none of the austrolorps from McM have crooked feet. I will certainly keep that link in my files to go to if I have any trouble.
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 24, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #4449063

Before I forget, mcamden, I wasn't able to get the video to work past the first peeps. It went back to the original page then. My puppy (Penny) started barking when she heard the peeps, so maybe it's a bad idea for me to play it. She is the barkingest dog we've ever had and I don't want to get her started. Again.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4449080

Hi Mel,

I just got home. You're really doing great. When they get their real feathers you will be able to see their colors.

JB

Off topic question comming up.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4449143

How do you cook a chicken you have raised? I tried it one time and it came out tougher than shoe leather. Even the cat wouldn't eat it.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #4449405

I am hoping they do get color as they get older. Our first chicks at one day old all looked completely different. I guess we will see. They are still cute as heck.

As far as cooking the chickens I am not sure, but i can tell you what I have heard. If the chicken is under about 6-8 months old then you should be able to cook like just like any other. If you are thinking of cooking your retired layers (5-7 years) then I think boiling for soup is about the only option.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #4449442

i cooked one testerday, after soakin it in fermented brine for 24+ hours... good flavor, slightly tough [he was going on twop years old] anyhow, have two hanging i will do the same with. we have some leftover ham, so we plan on a combo pot pie.

oh, i cooked him in a large stainless steel heaby duty 6 qt pan, with a little brine in the bottom, at 325 degrees for 3-4 hours

but the cookbooks say he should have been boiled and slow cooked on the stovetop to make soup, whatever...

just try one one way, then if it doesn't work out you still have catfood LOL, try the next one another way. don't forget to boil down the feather to fertilize your garden...

sorry for the off-topic Mel, how are those babies? the middle one looked like he was at-risk to splay, he has sduch a wide stance is all...

tf
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #4449577

Oh no problem. He is standing normal now...when I took them out to take that pic they all ran off...so this was after putting them back together...and before he 'took off' again. They are doing good. We are just waiting for the last one to get out of his shell...tomorrow I should be able to get a picture of all 5 chicks together. I have 12 eggs ready to go into the bator tomorrow. I am adding some eggs from my (what I think she is) old english game hen.
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 25, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #4449884

I cooked a young (6 mo) rooster today. Since we skinned them, I just roasted him in the roaster at 350 for 2 hrs. He turned out tender and tasty. We tried to shake and bake one, but it turned out dry. We usually cull the older ones at 2 1/2 to 3 yrs and stew them for dumplings. I put them in water, add salt and pepper, celery, carrots, and onions and boil them for about 2 - 3 hrs until they are tender. Then make my dumplings. A friend told me they take them and put them in the slow cooker overnight and that makes them very tender.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4449919

Thanks all,

I will try the crock-pot next time. I've been on a slow cooker kick lately. I've been doing my pork ribs this way since it's too cold to fire up the grill.

JB

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #4451579

Okay, Mel...time to get up again!!!

New pictures please!!!

I showed my husband the video when I got home from work last night, and my dog got all excited too. She came up to me and looked in my lap, then under my chair. It was really cute.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #4451608

Hurray, mcamden. Sounds like all has gone very well
for this hatch. I hope you get a nice assortment of
colors, and did the BSL chick have a white spot on it's
head or no?
When processing poultry, please tell me if you lop
off their heads first, and doesn't this stop the heart
and not completely remove all the blood, or do you
cut the jugular? I am under the impression that you
should remove all the blood for a healthier meal.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #4451661

Oh Great! I just watched the video for the first time.
It's wonderful. Both of my dogs and both cats
came into the office to look and listen. I have my
brooder set up in one corner of the office, and have never
had chicks in it yet, but every animal looked in it- as
if they knew what it was for, and trying to find the chicks!

That was a great way to announce to the world you're
finally here! I loved it.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #4452224

truest, their is more than one way to do it. check out:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us for good detailed desccriptions, instructions, and photos...

we hang them live for a little while so they are dizzy and don't fight, then use the ax, then hang them to drain the blood. we skinned one once, but i prefer to pluck...

OK, Mel, get up and show us some more of your babies! and a pic of your OEG!

;-)
tf
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #4452254

Ok...sad news. #5 the BSL did not make it. He was in the shell for over 24 hours with no progress, and at some point in the middle of the night I got up to check him and he was not breathing. I waited for a while...tried a little tap on the shell and nothing. This morning I opended the rest of the shell and found that something looked like it went wrong in the developement process. The area that should normally turn inside the body, and where the umbilical cord connects was still all outside of the body. He just didnt look like he was ready to come out yet.

Anyway...the other four are doing great, and we have one egg that is still set to hatch tomorrow. The BSL looked exactly like the other four chicks...not dark like I had expected.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008

Post #4452284

tha is sad ;-(

but 5 out of 6 is a great hatching rate! you should be proud!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #4452603

I am proud I suppose...but hard when one starts to make it and then doesnt. I was sad. #6 is actually due tomorrow...he was put in later then the others. That is the only egg left in the bator now. I have a dozen eggs ready to go in after I sanitize. Ths time I have 3 of the Old english game hen...she is solid black, so maybe those chicks will come out with more color. SHe is also the oldest hen we have (5 or 6 years old) so we will see if she has good eggs. I know that she still lays every day and her eggs taste fabulous!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #4452742

hey, what matters is what the rooster thinks of her, right? we are thrilled for you! we may candle a few eggs tonight, it is day seven... this is great education for our homeschooled children. i appreciate your sadness over the lost one. hoping for a healthy numero seis!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #4452868

Thank you! Hopefully 6 will come out with no problems. I was hoping for 5 out of our original batch. You homeschool? That is fabulous! We have talked about it we have kids someday that I want to stay home with them. The schools in our area are not very good, and I think I would make a better teacher. How do you like it? I know off subject...but now I am curious!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4452928

it has it's days, LOL. but the best part is my kids getting to learn so many extra things that school teachers don't have time for these days with all the tests and paperwork. and i get to know my kids better. i am pretty sure they will know what they want to accomplish in their lives before most other kids do, since they get exposed to so many possiblities, and i can encourage them in their interests. of course, my six year old is still changing his mind. yesterday he said when he has a farm, he will hav chickens goats and pigs [we dont' have pigs]. i said well, what kind you have will depend on where you live, where do you think you will live [he has the whold world to choose from], and he says, oh somewhere near Amarillo...

boys learn differently than girls, of course all kids learn different skills at different rates, and there are enormous resources out there without spending a lot of money or time. plus, we do more together as a family, and they are learning a good work ethic, esp team work as a family. they can't wait to be old enough to have jobs. as a matter of fact, had it not been for bad weather right after all the leaves in the neighborhood fell [and that's not many LOL], they wanted to go rake everybody's yard to earn money. that fell through, but i found extra work fo rthem around here so they would have a little money to spend on each other for Christmas...

i digress. i bet there are some good threads abou tit in the parenting forum, i haven't had time to go there in a while.

as most of you know, having the incubator bug, or the seeds starting bug, is pretty time consuming, and i have both LOL

tf
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #4453038

New pic of the four muskateers!

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4453072

Or where there only 3? Either way...chicks are cute! They seem to match our kitty Daisy.

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008

Post #4453211

Well Tamara...you sound like you are certainly raising them right! I definately have 'the bugs'! I ordered those 200 trees...after planting 200 tulip and dafodil bulbs to use at my wedding in May...and then started on these eggs! I am addicted! I grew up in town but always knew I wanted to live on a farm when I had the chance. I even tried running away when i was little to go live on a farm. I do, however, loose all my motivation when it is cold like this!

My other half just called and said he has a wonderful surprise for me! I am really pumped since this week I havent done much about finding a new job and he rarely thinks anything is good enough to justify something as a 'wonderful surprise'! I wonder what it is!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #4453363

ooooohhhhh I'm curious...won't that be fun? Whatever it is!!!

The babies are adorable. Cheep, cheep!!

Sorry about the one that didn't make it. You know what they say, only the strong survive.

(((Mel)))
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #4453381

I am excited too! Maybe he will say that he is taking over his company, and for a new job I dont need to worry about how much I will make..but that I can just find something fun! I want to go work at the zoo! That has been a dream. Omaha does have I think one of the top three zoos in the country.

I somehow doubt that is it though.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #4453708

maybe he is going to hire you? & you can work at home while working on your farm?

did the kitty have a snack? LOL

funny, at first i thought you meant raising my chicks right, i was going to ask what that had to do with trees, oh, just got so much on my mind today i can't read stright ;-) or type worth a flip.

gotta go run errnads before the town shuts down for the evening...

tf
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4453729

That was another though. He works for his uncles company, and we are very close. I actually interviewed with them before for an entry level position..but I was waay over qualified. It is a good company, and I would like to work there...but could be awkward at the same time. Him brother, cousin, best friend, and aunt all work there.

I guess we will see. He said he wont tell me until after dinner. It is a big joke because we are going to the all you can eat crab leg buffet...and he is the only person who will go with me because of how many legs I can eat! that was how I found out he was the one for me! So we normally stay for about 2 hours...so it will depend on what I want more..crab legs...or to hear/see my surprise!

I ended up with 11 eggs in the bator. One of them was cracked. I will keep praying for all girls!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #4453837

Praying now...girls, please...
Oooohhhh crab legs...all you can eat...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 25, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #4453891

Yeah...I wont even eat the crab legs at Red Lobster after finding this place! They are so much better.
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 25, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #4454057

mc, you sure know how to hurt somebody...crab legs...all you can eat? Oh, my goodness, how lucky you are. The only way we get crab legs here is to cook our own.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4454721

waiting to hear the good news... sounds like it could be a long wait LOL

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #4456065

Get up. I want to see baby pictures... Hope all are doing well, including you Mel!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 26, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #4456740

Im up Im up! The surprise was that we went and got those crab legs...they werent as good as normal. Then we came home and started playing a game. A few minutes later someone knocked on the door, and when I got to the living room it was my best friend in the whole world! I had a hard time leaving Des Moines to move out here because I didnt want to leave the greatest person I had ever known (other then Ryan), and he made arrangements for her and her boyfriend to come out and see me. I was SOOO excited! We just had breakfast, and they have to go soon...so I will be back later!

CHicks are doing great, and the last one is coming tonight hopefully!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #4456843

yippee! nothing better than a best friend you've been away from to come for a surprise visit! have a blast!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #4457493

Oh awesome surprise, Mel! A best friend's visit. And,
with your seed and chick bug and catching up, I am
sure you had plenty to talk about. I know when I get
on the phone with my best friend (almost 40 years)
we are a couple chatty lunatics. Chitter chitter chitter!
It doesn't stop.
Ya know, for your first homemade incubator and so
few eggs, you and the chicks did really well. It's sad
when we lose a little one, but we learn so much, and know
you did your best and that was a Great Job! You also did
a great job of sharing it with all of us. Here's hoping for
the 'odd egg out' to do his thing well!

now- 200 trees! teeheeteehee 200 holes
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #4457558

you are so mean! let's hope dh has a backhoe...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 26, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4457792

THe last chick is on his way! My friend couldn't stay long but I loved every minute I had with her! We also managed to cut, load, and stack 2 full truck loads of wood. I feel pretty good about our first run with the bator. We will have 11 with the next round.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #4458184

woohoo! so glad you had a great time!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 27, 2008
4:12 AM

Post #4459123

Oh yes...Ok...the last chick is a little farther along now. He is in there chirping. I am moving the bator into the bedroom so I can keep a better eye one him.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #4459152

sweet dreams, mamahen!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #4459245

Awesome, Mel. May all your hatches be good ones. I
hope this last of the first does well! go chick go chick..
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 27, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4460266

Ok...got a problem. The last chick hatched around 4 am, and I put him in a seperate bin in with the other chicks. I was too tired to pay too much attention, but we just noticed that his underside...where the umbilical cord was attached looks awful. I turned him over and a huge amount of what looks like puss came out! It is very thick like honey, and about the color of honey too. We had just put them in together when I noticed. What should we do? He is sepeated again...but it looks awful.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 27, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4460289

This looks awful. With every chirp he makes he is pushing more of this stuff out. What is it...and how do I stop it??

Thumbnail by mcamden

truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #4460605

Oh, that's sad. Sounds like mushy chick disease.
From Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens:
"Omphalitis or mushy chick disease or yolk sac infection
developes when bacteria invade a chick's unhealed navel.
This illness occurs when high incubation humidity or low
brooding temperature prevents the chick's navel from
healing properly, leading to invasion by e. coli and other
bacteria. The bacteria quickly multiply in the moist, nutrient
rich yolk sac area, causing chicks to die within a few days
of hatching. Since there's no effective treatment, prevent
this devastating disease by hatching only clean eggs,
properly regulating your incubator and brooder, and
practicing good incubator and brooder sanitation."
There are some disinfectants available commercially
that you can spray on the incubator and eggs before
incubating. Use only clean eggs in the inc., meaning if they
are dirty in the nest, don't use. If hens are given an
astroturf type material to lay on, this is easier to keep
clean. Never use cold water to clean eggs, as this forces
bacteria into the shell. Use a fine grit sandpaper to clean
lightly soiled eggs. Try getting a 'wet-bulb' temperature
of your incubator while it's running by adding a second
thermometer at egg height, with a wet shoestring wrapped
around the bulb. You can also wrap it in gauze or cheesecloth.
This will give you a reading of humidity in the incubator, usually read at somewhere in the mid 80's on the thermometer. Follow appropriate guidelines for proper humidity for your eggs. It is usually raised a bit for hatching. Try shielding your tray of water with foil, or reduce it's size if humidity is too high. For a forced air incubator like your's, wet bulb should read 86%-88%,
then increased to 88%-91% for hatching. I hope this helps. Remember,
each little chick is a learning experience.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #4460639

Forgot to add, use warm water to wet your
shoestring or gauze before putting it in.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 27, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #4460655

I will try that with this next batch. Any clue if there is anything I can do for this chick?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #4461163

i would just spray it with sterile water or colloidal silver once a day. our last chick looked somewhat similar,a nd it healed. just don't mess with it i would suggest. also, put minced garlic into Apple Cider Vinegar [organic with the mother] for overnight, then add small amounts to their water. they will develop a taste for it. it will prmote healing and give all the chicks an immune boost. garlic is antifungal and a natural antibiotic.

remember survival of the fittest is hard on us mama's. give him your best, and let nature do the rest.

hugs to you,
tf

[i didn't have time to read truest suggestion, so i am not disregtarding it, just saying what i would do. i will have to readit later, since i know Storey's has good stuff!]
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4464482

Mel, for your next batch, you might want to fashion
some kind of liner, that you can remove after each.
Also, the disinfectants I've seen are like a fogger-
it can get the tiny places and crevices clean. I have
read that letting it dry in the sun helps, too.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #4464493

Waiting for Mel to check in...fingers-tap tap tap...

=o)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #4464523

waiting here too. maybe she is catching up on her sleep, or getting a head start on spring cleaning?

tf
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 28, 2008

Post #4464532

So far so good. Sorry...was turning the eggs. The little chicky seems to be doing fine...but I dont know what is going on inside. He really wants in with the others...but they instantly start picking on him if I try. So I am not going to try that again until i know he is completely better, and all dry...with nothing hanging...and strong enough to take care of himself.

I did put a clean, new washcloth into the bottom of the bator for when these last chicks hatched. So when they were done I pulled that out, and then cleaned the foam walls as well. Hopefully that worked...but this is all new to me! What is the best thing to use to clean inside? Soap? Bleach? Just checking!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008

Post #4464534

I am worried about the little one...tapping tapping..
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 28, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #4464541

I DO need to go wash out the bed of my truck though. I have slept so horrible that last few nights that I threw out the box springs, and I designed a platform bed. I am tired of 'sinking' into the middle. I need to get to the lumber yard to get all the wood, and grandma is making me lunch...while Mom wants to work on my wedding dress. I think I am starting to like this...'not working'. Although...it is also going to be 50 degrees today...so that could be why Im in such a good mood. :) I will check back later though!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 28, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4464545

Ok...so three of us just sent a message at the same time! Hahaha...9:16 must be the lucky minute! I wil send a pic of gimpy chick. :)
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4464551

I am sooo glad he is better. Try a google for the
fogger- or, I will look at the site in a bit and find out
the name. Each time I read about bators, they never
mention using bleach- I don't know the reason yet.
Also might be a good idea to boil the towels. Try to
think of the bator as a surgical room, and sterilize
every part of it you can. Now that this chick has an
infection, you know those germs are in there.
I'll be back- this stuff is only 12 dollars or so..
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4464586

Ok. The spray is called Tek-Trol, a can is 11.98
It is listed as the 'safest and most effective disinfectant'-
maybe there is some issue with bleach fumes that
I am not aware of, or something else. The website is
the Hovabator site [gqfmfg.com]. I have seen this stuff
at other incubator sites, too. I think it may come as
a concentrate also, that you can load into a spray bottle.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 28, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4464587

Thanks...he is eating and drinking well too. Here are some pics..

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 28, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4464599

That would be good. I will check there site.

Here is a pic of the underside...I know it still looks gross, but it is all dry.

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 28, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #4464616

And this is him inside his 'seperation chamber'. :)

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 28, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4464622

OK...gotta go get ready. I will check in later with an update. :)
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #4464648

I'm glad he's better. I bet that was very upsetting for
you. I hope he continues to improve. gqf also
has 'tracin' type antibiotic that you add to their water.
This might be something to keep on hand for in the
future. They can go downhill so fast that you may not
have time to go and get. They also have vitamins for
times of stress.
Another thing you can try, is a couple Tbs of sugar to
a quart of water. This is recommended for shipped
chicks that had a stressful trip.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #4464706

Well, he (or she) certainly does look alert! I'm hoping he will continue to get better and his mates will accept him.

Have a safe day Mel.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #4464823

have a great weding Mel! and start getting some sleep first LOL...

OK, idn't you make the incubator yourself, so could you just make another one, only larger if need be?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 28, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #4466227

Just got home. Yes...I did make the incubator myself, and I have been looking for coolers like this omaha steaks one that I could use to make it bigger...so far not much luck though. Little chickypoo is still looking good other then spilling all his food because he is running around too much. He really wants to be with the other chicks...but they are not ready to take care of him.

I am going outside to start making this new bed...and then I guess it is wine and little smokies for dinner! I have the house to myself for the night...so this should be nice.

I do need to get some medicine to keep on hand for these chicks. The sugar water sounds like a good idea. i think I will try that one.
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #4466518

Hello all,

I just thought I'd chime in here...again. Melissa, I am concerned about the humidity level inside the bator. In previous posts you said you were going through a cup of water in a day with the rag in place. To me this sounds like to much humidity. The inside area of your incubator is relatively small.

Next time you go to the store I would buy a combination temperature and humidity meter. The one I got was under $10 and worked well. Mine had a digital readout for both, and both displayed at the same time which allowed me to set it at the same level as the eggs and without touching it, take my readings.

Hope the last one does alright.

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 29, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4467096

Hey Jb...I dont remember going through that much water. I put a can of water with a rag inside...and it lasted a few days. I only put about a 1/2-3/4 measuring cup worth of water in the can. During the last 3 days I took the rag out of the can and while wet put it near the light. That got the humidity just high enough to leave a small amount of condensation. I am going to certainly pay closer attention and look at getting one of those humidity meters as well! Thanks! Chickee-poo is doing great as of now!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4467263

So glad to hear he is better. go chick.. go chick..
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #4467596

Hey, Mel, I guess we have a name for the chick...Chickie-poo...lol
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 29, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #4469130

Yeah...I call them all chickee-poos though. :) I call this one gimpy! hahaha...so far he is still doing great. But I dont know if that area will 'fluff out' after this. I dont really want to try washing it or anything...but unless it fluffs out the others will try to pick at that area. I will continue to keep him seperated. he is also smaller then the others...so that doesnt help. But he is tough! He grabbed the biggest chick by his toe and pulled his foot out from under him!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #4469147

this is where a red lamp would come in handy, they can see, but can't see the bare sking o rblood. if you get them started picking now, they will also pick at each other...

glad the little guy is tough!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #4469499

I know he must be lonesome, but I wouldn't suggest
washing the area. He will likely get too chilled.
If he must be seperate til his incoming feathers push
the yucky feathers out, he might be better off that
way. I raised a lone chick, a survivor of a neighbor's
flock that vermin got to, and 'Pebbles' was very happy
to have me as her family, until she was many weeks old,
and started to become independant and join the others
on her own terms. I thought the older hen and roo
would be mean to her, but this didn't happen. I hear this
is not usually the case. Your chick has the benefit of
others his own age to 'flock' with when he's well.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 29, 2008

Post #4469751

I tried the red lamp, but it got too hot for them. I tried finding a lower wattage bulb yesterday at Menards, but all they had where 250. The others are not picking on each other, and the lone chick is in with them... but in a plastic bin inside there. I didnt want to wash it...and didnt figure it would help much anyway. I will just keep him seperated until the featers push the yucky stuff out.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #4470377

My hubby put a reostat(sp) on our red bulb. You can
dial the temp up or down that way. Since I have animals
in the house and it might get knocked accidentally,
I put a piece of duct tape on it so it doesn't get moved.
In all of the books I've seen, others just raise the light
til the chicks are comfortable. But, it does need a
ceramic fixture so as not to get too hot. I think it's cool
that he's at least in with his friends. He can see them and talk
with them, and not get hurt. He has made it this far, I am
pleasantly surprised. He may just pull through.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 29, 2008

Post #4470450

I raised the lamp as far as I could, but it was still too hot. They are working with the blue light pretty well, and it is not too hot. I put a piece of bread in with them to play with, and it was funny to watch. Just like their mothers...one of them got a small piece of bread off and then they all took off after him! The game was on. I can hear them in there running around chasing each other! Too cute.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #4470519

I have heard they like alfalfa sprinkled in to pick at.

Now remember, whichever way you decide to go
on monitoring the humidity, you will have different
readings. if you choose 'wetbulb', meaning a wick
around a thermometer that dips into the water to help
keep it moist, will read around the mid 80's. This will
give you a relative humidty of about 54-62%.
If you get a hygrometer like JB mentioned, it will give
you the actual humidity reading, which should be about
54-62%, again, raised a few degrees for hatching. If
your air in the bator is too humid, the chicks basically
suffocate, as they can not rid their shells of moisture.
If too dry, they may pip, but fail to hatch quickly enough
and stick to the inside of the shells. They have to be able to
turn around in there, to make the crack all the way around.
I can't wait for my coturnix eggs! They should be here
tomorrow- then I'm going to have some fun, too! Yippee!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 29, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #4470554

I will definately keep that in mind. What should the humidity be 3 days before hatching and the day of?

'Gimpy' seems to be doing great. he is eating and drinking, and running around. He seems to be getting used to be seperate, but next to his siblings.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #4472298

So glad he is doing well.

We have had to raise two chicks separate. One now is feathered enough to go out most days, and spends his/her nights in the entry way. He gets along great with the cats, who protect him, and is gradually getting un-shy of the other chickens.

The other is still so tiny, about 3 weeks old, i think. Too tiny to play with the first one LOL. WE hope he/she integrates well too. They both certainly are spoiled pets ;-)

i recall the humidity is supposed to be higher the last three days. i made the mistake of not opening the incubator to add water, for fear of dropping the temp too much the last three days, so it got too dry in there, and only one hatched.

Hope to do better this time. Don't have a hygrometer yet, but on the list to get one...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 30, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4473270

Well every egg we had in there hatched. One did not make it out of the shell...and I think that was a defect. He just didnt look right all around. The last chick is still doing great, and he is not 'less seperated'. Instead of being in a plastic container he is not in with them, but with some small guage mesh wire seperating them. Now he has more room to grow. He looks fabulous...so I think he is going to make it.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4473337

I can't thank you enough Mel for allowing us on this journey with you.

I can't remember when I've had a better time.

((((Mel))))
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4473468

now that the chickies seem all settled in, how is that wedding going???
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 30, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #4473923

You are welcome! Thanks for coming along with me! Chickee is definately great!

Wedding plans are coming along. I am actually making my veil today. It looks great so far! I ordered my dress from CHina, and it was custom made...total cost $185! I found one similar at Davids that was on sale for...$1200!!! I think I did pretty good.

I also have stuff for goulosh in the crock...and it is smelling GOOOOD!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4474340

oh, yeah, DH must love your frugalnesss, that was a great buy, you practically STOLE it lol mmmmm, can we come to your wedding and help you eat? LOL 71 days till guineafest 2008... ;-)
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 30, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #4474434

Sounds good to me! I got a good deal for the catering, and we are paying for all the wine, beer, and soda. Mixed drinks we are not because of some big drinkers in the family. But they are only $1. Should be a good time!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #4475111

Ok, Mel- I found a good wet bulb temp range for your incubator.
If your incubator is running about 100*, during incubation,
your wet bulb reading should be about 87*. This translates
to roughly 59-62% relative humidity. For hatching, or the
last 3 days, wet bulb should read about 90*. This translates
to a relative humidity of 68-71%. To get a good first reading
at any time, use tepid water on your wrapping for the
thermometer. Allow it to have time to acclimate to your
inside inc. temp, and observe. It won't stay that way as
it gradually dries. Some run a wick directly in the water
to keep it moist. I hope this helps with your next hatch!
I'm so happy 'Gimp' is doing well!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #4475544

mail us an invite, i'm in the addy exchange!

did i hear you say Wine? i can bring you a nice bottle of Reisling from Germany...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 31, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #4478786

Thanks so much for finding the wetbulb info for me! I will try that out today to see what my levels are in there.

Hey Tamara...You planning on being around here in May? I am not sure yet what our total guest list count will be...but we will be packed! I ended up having to invite several friends to an 'after party' since we can only seat about 200 for dinner.

So...off subject...but just to show how bored I am not having a job anymore...here is what I got done building yesterday. :)

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 31, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #4478798

Ok...and even though this is a HORRIBLE picture of me...this is my veil that I made yesterday. It took me more then 5 hours to sew all those tiny flowers around the edge!

Thumbnail by mcamden

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #4478856

i'm thinking guineafest is in april, but we could come back i suppose, unless i cna't get somebody to take care of livestock, that's always a neat trick LOL we don't have to party, it owuld just be cool to meet you!

WOW, loving that bed platform, you are quite the handywoman! oh, and that veil is GORGEOUS on you :-)

there is a web site that lists the reading for wet and dry thermometers. i still need to get one before i get to the end of the hatch. i think we are on day 12 now... i have been so busy i barely get them turned 2-3 times a day...
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 31, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4478861

Mel, the veil is beautiful.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #4479035

Beautiful veil, Mel! whaddya mean horrible picture?
You look perfectly happy to me! Are the flowers all
white, or is there some color in there? My eyes are
not as good as they used to be.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #4479044

Yur welcome for the wetbulb info- I think I got it
from the same site that Tamara mentioned. At
poultryconnection.com?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 31, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #4479160

The flowers WERE all white...but my dress is an off white...so I spent several days perfecting my 'tea staning' abililties to get these flowers to be off white as well. My dress is FABULOUS! And even though it was made as one piece i cut it in half so it wont be so heavy. Next time I start working on it I will try to get a picture, I just need help getting it on since the back is a corset style.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 31, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #4479186

JB...you still around? I wanted to show you how well the chicks are growing up! Th little guy on the left is Gimpy.

Thumbnail by mcamden

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #4479292

They're so sweet! I just want to hug them!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

January 31, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #4479305

They are pretty darn cute. I will just look forward to the day they start laying. Its the circle of chickens...or...is it the circle of life?? Hahaha...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #4479310

Which came first?????
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #4479738

it wasn't the chicken OR the egg, it was Chickie-Poo!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #4479790

Your dress sounds lovely. But, what do you mean
you cut it in half?:-0 My wedding dress laced up the
back as well. I didn't know it til I saw pictures, but my
dress lace up was supposed to end in a 'small' bow, with
the ribbons trailing down the full length of the back. My son
laced it for me, and sweet guy that he is- tied a big foofoo
bow in it with short ribbon tails, and well- good thing
I didn't know about til after the wedding! But, I still love him!
snif snif
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #4479813

LOL
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 1, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #4480462

Too funny! Mine was desinged to LOOK like two pieces, but it was actually attached. I just literally cut it in half where no one would ever see it. I also have an elastic band in the waist to allow me to eat the food I am paying so much for!

I promice to get the whole shabang on next week and get a picture to share.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 1, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #4480466

And Tamara...if you come up to Guineafest in April you could stop out here on your way. I bet you will end up driving right past my place!
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #4480740

I just got in. They look wonderful. Are you able to keep gimpy in with them full time now?

JB
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 1, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #4480781

I am proud...gimpy is still doing great. I put them all together while cleaning our their box, but then I seperated them again. While I think they would probably be ok...I dont want to take any chances. They are together with the exception of that steel mesh that they can see and touch each other through. I candled the eggs in the bator on day 3, and I could see EVERY ONE of them had veins. We are going to do them again tonight (day 6) and see if we need to dispose of any at this point.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #4480908

OMGosh, you could see all that just after 3 days? I was
going to wait til day 7. Maybe not...

Hi, JB, wonderful all-knowing helpful person. How are ya?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 1, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #4480994

Oh yeah! And on day 5 you can watch them 'swim' around! I should be able to see a lot tonight! But it DOES depend on the size, color, and thickness of the shells as well.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2008

Post #4481865

Blanca's should be easy then. I'm not sure how
much I'll see of the speckled.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 1, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #4482548

Oh yeah...I saw the picture, and i would think those eggs would be very hard to see in. I finally put Gimpy in with his siblings. I found they had all made it into his enclosed area...so I just removed it and they arent bothering him at all.

I added some cute pics to my link:

http://www.freewebs.com/ryanandmelissa/chickypoos.htm
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #4482640

Yea, Gimpy is with his siblings! That's perfect.
The pics are very cute. I like the one with Gimpy
and sibling sleeping next to each other-one big, and
one small.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 1, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #4483271

Yeah...I had fun watching how they interacted with him through the wall. I got woken up at 4am with chirping like crazy! I thought that SOMEONE must have died. Alas...my birds were just upset because their light had burnt out. They werent cold because the light was beyond hot to the touch...so it had just happened. I put in a new bulb, and they all went back to sleep.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #4485106

you're a good mama hen!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4494130

They are so cute, and very quick to let you know
something's wrong.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 4, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #4495162

Some new pics of the chicks. :)

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 4, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #4495185

One more...

Thumbnail by mcamden

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #4495242

they are looking great! dont' you just love how fast they grow!

we are looking forward to some hatching this weekend...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 4, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #4495275

Yeah! I will be looking forward to hearing how your hatch goes!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 4, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #4495400

Aaaaaaaaand...since I showed everyone my veil...figured I would show off my dress as well. After selling one of the 3 I ordered my final cost for this dress is $75!

Thumbnail by mcamden

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #4495418

oh, yeah! you did good girl! i can't picture a better dress on you, absolutely lovely!

i am hoping to get about 30 or so from the hatch. iwill candel again soon...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 4, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #4495420

Hahaha...and I was trying SO hard to not flex my giant biceps!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 4, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #4495428

Oh wow! Well I will certainly be excited to see how they come out! I LOVE my dress...and I think I need to quit trying it on! It is still full of pins until we get a little closer, but that is the general idea. The tuxes I picked out for the men have full vests, and thin ties to go for a lightly old fashoned look.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008

Post #4495474

oh, pleae, you look VERY feminine! there is nothing wrong with being intelligetn AND physically strong AND attractive! i think it will be old fashioned like country style...? your dress and pose remind me of Louis Lamour novels, you know that type era...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #4495477

looks like i have been missing out on truest dialogue of hatching... i still can't find my cable to my camera, so taking lots of pictures and videos but can't share yet ;-(
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 4, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4495570

Hahaha...not sure if it is a western look...but I wasnt really trying for it...just sorta happened. Story of my life...that is how most of my animals came to be.

I hope you can find your cable! I love pictures!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4495572

Oh, Mel! Your dress is beautiful, and you look so
beautiful in it! Your fianceis such a lucky man. I
hope he knows this- shall I come up there and tell
him to make sure?
I am just married to my wonderful hubby for 2 years.
I like the full vests in a tux, our tuxes were full vests.
Some black and white photos taken outside of the
old historical courthouse of my son and DH look like
they could have been taken 100 years ago or yesterday.
What are the main colors of your wedding?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 4, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #4495588

I am glad you approve. :) We aren't having 'colors'. I like all the colors under the sun, so we planted over 200 tulip and dafodil bulbs last fall that will be in bloom for the wedding. The centerpieces have differnt color flowers in...oh heck! I will jsut include a picture!

I melted down all the old candles in the house to make them into these cool floating candles. :) My mother-in-law to be has a candle company, so she is giving us all these vases to use.

Thumbnail by mcamden

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4497956

Oh Mel..YOU are beautiful and the dress is lovely. Congrats..you DUN good, girl!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #4498070

Mel, what did you do in your bator to reduce the RH?

Good Morning, Joyce! I hope you are well today!

may Princess Tammy have long life

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #4498140

Thank you Joni...it's dreary and rainy...I'm depressed... =o(
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 5, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #4498764

To create the humidity I have a basic old can (I think corn came in it). I put a new washcloth in the can and filled about 3/4 up with water. The more the cloth is submerged...the lower the humidity. THe more of the cloth I pull up out of the can...the higher the humidity. I only adjust it every other day or so. Only about one inch of the cloth stays out to maintain 60%.

It wish it were dreary here today! It was supposed to be 40 today..but then late last night they suddenly changed the forcast and said a bad snow storm was coming. They were right. About 4 inches so far in 4 hours.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2008

Post #4499061

I am sorry you are not having the best day, Joyce.
I do hope tomorrow is better. I am thinking aboutcha.

Ok, Mel, that makes sense. The more evaporative
surface you have exposed, the higher the RH.

ok ya'll, don't think I've gone crazy, but I'm playing a game in
the parking lot forum, and I have to do this in every post:
may the princess have eyes like a hawk

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 2:24 PM
nzgirl
Wellington
New Zealand

February 5, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #4499374

Good morning ALL

Well since this threed started I got the bug and ordered in some eggs 22days ago my hens have been sitting on them doing their thing... I thought I'd share what happend over the past three days... The past three days have had surprises not of the good kind… Each day an egg has been kicked out of the nest over night so I’ve figured that they were no good.. So I’ve been opening them the first one was like a normal egg only smelly… Yesterday’s egg had a baby in it :( but it must have died about a week ago maybe it had all of its feathers but wasn’t occupying all of the egg… Today’s egg was sadder still, it was bigger than the other one and it had broken through its little sack and that’s were it stopped…. Its sad business this egg business although it’s been great for my daughter to see…. Well today is day 22 if nothing happens in the next 3-4 days would it be safe to say hatching has finished…?

Maree
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 5, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #4499397

So sad. Sorry to hear that your eggs have not done so well. Your hen probably knew something wasnt right with those eggs that were kicked out. How many eggs are left? I would certainly give them another day...but if no one has come out by the 23rd or 24th day...then I would probably kick em out. Let us know how the rest go.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #4499524

I am sorry you've had a run of bad luck with your eggs.
I hope you don't give up- and I hope your hens can
get at least one to hatch and join the rest of the girls.
nzgirl
Wellington
New Zealand

February 6, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #4500111

I've got 8 still to look forward toooo... I really hope I can have at least one hatch... I'll keep you posted... I'll try again but this time I'll do it myself LOL in a home made bator like your one mel...

I just love your dress...!!! You look STUNNING in it...!!! When and if I ever get married I think i'll order a dress from china also... :) hehe
nzgirl
Wellington
New Zealand

February 6, 2008
5:32 AM

Post #4501342

okay another update 2 more kicked out now and same thing :( Im wondering if they're starting to pip and because the three hens have not done this before they freak out and then kick them out... hmmm just a thought... okay Im down to six now LOL mother nature has to give me at least one right LOL...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

February 6, 2008
9:27 AM

Post #4501554

yes she dose my eggs und er my hens are hatching now:)
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #4501742

nzgirl, if you have the space, and a warm place for the chicks,
why don't you bring the remaining eggs in to hatch?
Sometimes, older birds will see baby chicks as they do a
mouse, either get rid of it or peck it. You wouldn't be
able to put them with the older birds til they are grown,
but you might be able to save a few. If the hens didn't
lay those eggs, maybe they know they're not their's.

Awesome, Lucky! Hope your hatch goes well. How many
eggs do you have?

long life to the princess

This message was edited Feb 6, 2008 6:47 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 6, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #4501950

I would agree...maybe if you have a large box you could even try bringing in the hen that is sitting on them as well. I would certainly not leave them out there at this point. She is likely to kick them all out. I would this sounds REALLY weird...but if you have a digital oven I would try getting it to 100 and add a large pan of water, and put the eggs in there inside of something safe like a box. It just could work!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #4502079

I think that's a great idea! I hope you can save some
nzgirl, unless your goal is to have the chickens do the
work in a natural way. Some people would rather their
birds do the job of raising, which I understand completely.
nzgirl
Wellington
New Zealand

February 7, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #4505965

O-my o-my i have a new chic...!!!! so so excited...!!! I've attached a photo of her :) not sure what breed she is but who cares I've got a baby LOL...

odear just read your feed back about bringing them in odear what to do... I want them to live i'll do what ever it takes... There are 3 hens sitting at the moment... would it be okay to bring in one hen and the new chic in during the night and put them back out during the day...? I hadn't thought that far ahead...

I don't have a digital oven yes it sounds werid but I'll try anything :)
They are free ranging gals also... nope I've not thought this through at all... There is still 5 to hatch nature willing of course... Im in a flap now LOL...

Thumbnail by nzgirl

luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

February 7, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #4506089

i have 2 hens with 5 under each and one is piped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nzgirl
Wellington
New Zealand

February 7, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #4506101

Thats very exciting :) I really happy for you :)

I check under my girls a much as they would let me and nothing new to report yet...
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #4506134

Oh my goodness, NZ!!! That's great! I'm glad I popped in to
check on things! Yes, do bring in the hen and chick, if she will
keep it warm. Baby chicks need either their mom or a box
with paper towels in it. If it's a box, they need warmth!
Optimally, they need a 95* heat to start, then you reduce it
5* each week til they get feathers. You know it's warm enough
if they hang out sort of under the light. If it's too cold, they
will chirp loudly. if it's too hot, they will be off to the side
away from the light. The paper towels are so they can walk with
a grip- nothing slippery, as this can cause them to walk
poorly forever. Next, they will need food and water. Have
the water a bit away from the light, but not too far. Dip it's
beak in it so it knows where to find it. The absorbed yolk
can keep it nourished for up to 48 hours, but the sooner
they eat and drink, the better. A jar lid will do. Always keep
fresh water for it. For food, they need a higher protein crumble
feed than older chickens, but if you crush it with a rolling pin
or something, it will work temporarily. Sprinkle some on the
paper towels so it is easy to find. Once they are eating,
you can keep the food in a jar lid, also. After the chick is 4
or 5 days old, you can remove the paper towels and replace
with bedding of some kind, like wood shavings. It's easy
to keep clean. But, never use cedar, as this is toxic to them.
If it is having trouble in the start with food, you can also
feed it boiled, crumbled egg yolk for a day or two.
This helps give them a good start. After 4 days or so,
they will need grit. This is necessary for them to digest
food in their crop since they don't have teeth. It needs to
be very fine, and sprinkle on their food, or mix it
in a ratio of 10 parts feed to one part grit. Chickens pick
it up in the yard, but chicks can't get to it unless they are with
the hen out foraging. Some things that work are parakeet
grit from a pet store, or fine sand, ground oyster shell or
granite would work. These are the basics for a start. Remember
that they really only need a few things. Warmth, Food, Clean
water, Clean housing and a little grit and a little love. I am
SO happy for you and little chickie!

great health to princess tammy

This message was edited Feb 6, 2008 11:56 PM
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
5:51 AM

Post #4506144

Yea, Lucky! So glad they are starting to pip! Keep us
posted on how they do. Chicks for everyone!

long life to princess tammy

This message was edited Feb 6, 2008 11:55 PM
nzgirl
Wellington
New Zealand

February 7, 2008
7:15 AM

Post #4506261

Thank you thank you... Im onto it now I'll bring in the hen that the chic is under and I've got some crumble at least and clean water i can do LOL... Also I really got into the hen house and had a much better look and she would only let me look at 2 of the 5 and the 2 that I did see had started to pip...!!!! so maybe tomorrow I'll have a few more to report on :) :)

I be keeping you all posted :) Im soooo glad I have this website and this threed...!!!

This threed started me on this journey and I'm loving it...!!!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4506821

nzgirl, I'm so glad you found us. Everyone I have met
at DG is so nice, and always willing to help and answer
questions. I have learned much from many.

((((((tammy)))))

This message was edited Feb 7, 2008 9:52 AM
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 7, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #4506993

YEAHHHHH!!! Sorry I am late...but since I am not working anymore I am sleeping in EVERY day! I am so excited for you! Your chick is simply adorable! Dont you just love it. I will keep my fingers crossed that your other 5 all hatch. Keep us posted!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #4507072

Slacker who doesn't have a job! LOL Yes you do,
it's to take care of your animals, plan your wedding,
help us incubate our eggs, keep us entertained...

Good morning Mel.

((((((tammy)))))

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #4507094

Yeah...what Joni said... ;o)

I still can't get the little roo peep up!
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #4507128

G'morning Joyce! Better weather today? I can hear the
cheer in your voice!

happiness to the princess

This message was edited Feb 7, 2008 10:09 AM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #4507135

Morning.. I feel pretty spry this morning!

How's your achy head?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 7, 2008

Post #4507161

Hahaha...i WISH this were my full time job! I want to incubate eggs, and raise chickens for a living! Just not sure that would pay the bills. I have applied for several jobs...but no luck. Maybe I should go building something else...hmm...anyone need any new furniture? Maybe I could just start my own business. :) I would call it...'Mel's Pullet Furniture' Hahaha...'Get a free chicken with each purchase!'
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #4507239

I have some building to do, you can come help me.
Let's see, I need a coop, and some quail cages-
please make them about 10" high, X 15" deep by
15" wide so the quail pairs can each have their own little
honeymoon cottages.
For the coop- I would like a big house, seperated into
3 rooms, one for each breed of chicken. And each coop
room should open out into 3 long runs, with all the edges
buried well against vermin. Then, each rooster should
have his own recliner and remote with cable feed for
all the football games. Can you do that? I'll give you
$50 bucks for it- can you have it by next Tuesday?

may the princess have cable
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 7, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4507498

WOW! $50! That was as much as I made in a year at my last job! I'll take it! hahaha...although the recliner might be hard as I am not sure how your roos would be able to grip the handle to engege the chair. I think we should also build a bathroom for each breed. We could install several 'showers' that would distribute soft, fine, dirt all over the birds. I bet they would like that. :)
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

February 7, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #4507536

For anyone who is going to have eggs hatching soon:

Be very aware of when your eggs start to pip. I know JB told me several times to not touch the eggs or try to help the chicks...but it WAS hard! I learned from a 'good' neighbor who tried to help a chick that was taking a while to hatch. The chick has an umbilical cord just like other babies. The cord is connected to all those veins you see through the egg, and those veins attach to that thin skin just inside the shell. If the chick is not ready to come out yet...and you try to 'help' you can damage one of those veins. If just one vein is damaged...it can kill the chick. My neighbor tried to help a chick...but instead broke one of these veins, and the chick bled out.

SO...I know SOMETIMES you may actually need to do soemthing but be VERY aware of those veins. If they are all dry it is ok, but if you see any blood, or blood in the veins, you should not touch the chick.

Since there are several chicks getting ready to hatch with you guys I just wanted to share this.
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #4507546

Hey Mel, could you start another homemade bator
thread? this one is taking a long time to load...

i'm disadvantaged on dialup...

may tammy always have enough money for
the good things in life
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #4507572

I have read that when they pip, it should be hands off-
I thought it was because if they can't get out on their
own, then there's a problem, and you wouldn't want to
breed problem chicks. I didn't know about the umbilicus.
Thanks Mel and JB.

may the princess get out of her own shell
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

February 7, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #4507920

Hey, truest, I also have dial-up (we're too far out to get dsl) so yeah, it takes a while to load. But then, all you have to do is get out your knitting and make the girls little sweaters to keep their little bods warm. HaHaHa!!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2008
5:02 AM

Post #4790829

this is a long thread, but anyone looking for good hatching info, links, pics, and videos should take the time to go through this one again!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #4793136

I just had a most enjoyable hour following this saga!

MollyD
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #4793271

I bet Mel is so busy right now, getting ready for her
wedding. It's in May sometime, right around the corner!
Would like to say hello to her!!!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #4793505

I'd love to see pictures of the chicks at this stage. They're probably all grown up now.

MollyD
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 12, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #4797694

Oh I feel so special. My thread lives on! I am VERY busy with the wedding plans. Three weeks from today. We are working on making the guest book today. I also have to take one of these dresses over for one of my bridesmaids to try on so I can find where she wants the hem. I wish I would have thought to make the dresses months ago.

Ok...I will go take a couple pictures of these chicks. They are all doing fabulous! We have two roos, and three hens of the group. I also have big news that I already told Tamara...Bob the duck layed an egg! I was so surprised. That is the luckiest duck I have ever known. He 'She' survived being stepped on my a horse, and learned how to fly. He didnt know what to do with the egg, so I brought him in the house and he went and jumped in the tub. I let 'her' take a warm bath, and then I wrapped her up in a towel, and she slept on the kitchen floor the rest of the afternoon. Poor Bob. I kept her in all night because I felt so bad after laying that egg!

Picture time...I will go get some, and then come back.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 12, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #4797777

Ok. Here are some of the babies. They are about 12 weeks old now.

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 12, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #4797783

And one of the hens...

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 12, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #4797789

And the one on the top of the branch is male (I think).

Thumbnail by mcamden

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #4797910

your mle is already getting in his brassy hackle feathers!

look forward to seeing the dresses you made!

so your Bob is a she! i nicknamed our Mr. Purple "Bob", will be a while before we know it's sex LOL, but hopefully before an egg POPS out!

thanks again for this wonderful thread.

tf
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #4798164

Mel is Gimpy in those pictures? I was wondering if Gimpy turned out to be a little girl. They all look great!!
Bob will have to become Bobbi now LOL Explains her interest in eggs and chicks!!

Thanks for posting the pictures!
After reading this thread I'm considering trying to make an incubator and hatch out some eggs.

MollyD
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #4798483

Mel we have an Omaha steaks foam container like yours. Can't tell how you made the air vent.

Next I need to get a thermostat for the light bulb. Was that a 40 watt bulb in there? I already have a wireless digital thermometer. I use them to monitor the temperature out in the greenhouse. I don't have a computer to tear apart for a small fan. Was that crucial? What am I missing??

MollyD
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 13, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #4799589

Gimpy IS a little girl, and she is the one on the branch behind the rooster. She is still picked out because she is smaller than the other four. If you guys remember, she hatched out 3 days after the first group.

My bulb is a 40 watt oven light. You could probably go a little lower, but my 40 did a good job. I ended up not using the air vent after I installed the thermostat. I used it to regulate the temperature at first, but it was just too difficult, so I went with the thermostat, and closed off the air vent all together.

The fan was not crucial, and if you want a true 'still air' incubator, you don't need one at all. I just got so involved with buiding this that I probably would have added cable, and an internet connection had my dearest not stopped me! Good luck with yours. We truely enjoyed hatching eggs, and it was fabulous watching their developement in the shells.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #4799673

Thanks Mel! All I need now is the thermostat and some eggs!

MollyD
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 13, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4799966

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions if they arise. I found answers to all my questions on this site. :)
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4799979

I'll do that thanks! I've raised chickens before but I've never hatched a chicken egg!

MollyD
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
4:29 AM

Post #4800472

Quoting:cable, and an internet connection

why not? you would do it for Bob, LOL. and a critter cam too!

hugs to you!
tf
johnnybegood
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #4801178

Wow, am I glad you started this thread again TF. I was going to D-mail Mel just to say hi, but this is much better. Happy to see all is well with you Mel.

I built a hoop house this spring. I started 1200 plants in Feb. and I'm now up to 2000. Veggies and FLOWERS! I never thought I'd see the day I actually would be growing flowers. I should be selling 10" pots in about 3 weeks.

So, as you can see I've been pretty busy.

JB

TF: How do you quote someone elses thread?
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 13, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #4801199

Thanks, JB, I was wondering the same thing. Sometimes I would like to quote my own for someone and don't know how.

GG :-):-)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #4801450

wow, granny! "i know something you don't know ;-P"

JB, you are a busy bee, congrats on your success in the greenhouse!

there are these brackets to the right of the 'P'. use those and in them put quote then copy and paste what you are quoting then the brackets again, and in them put /quote that is the slash under your right pinky by the shift key...

basically the slash turns it off. other wise everything you write would end up "quoted"

tf
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 13, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #4802443

This message was edited Apr 13, 2008 1:54 PM
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 13, 2008

Post #4802537

Will try again...

Quoting:there are these brackets to the right of the 'P'. use those and in them put quote then copy and paste what you are quoting then the brackets again, and in them put /quote that is the slash under your right pinky by the shift key...

Will see if this works now

This message was edited Apr 13, 2008 2:06 PM
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 13, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #4802565

Finally...Thanks, TF.

:-):-)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #4802889

:-)
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 13, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4803025

Your hearts look like earrings...LOL

:-)
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 15, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #4810624

So cute. I was going to build Bob a box in the coop so she could go somewhere away from all the young chickens who think she is mom, but ryan said I had to wait. He didnt want it to be chintsy. He is seriously designing a 'box' that will have heat tape and insulation. Since Bob is a tropical duck he cant live below 40 degrees, so Ryan is building a heating box just for her (him...her...I am so confused!). For now I put a large cat carrier in there on some blocks so Bob can have her own space. She should be laying another egg tonight. I could see if kinda bulging under neath a bit. ;)

Gotta love Bob!

Remember when...

He (she) really is our baby. :)

Thumbnail by mcamden

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #4810945

awww, so spoiled! everytime somebody asks about our catrs & chickens, i tell them about Kitty & Bob...
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 15, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4812028

I used to feel awkward for doing so many things just for Bob, but now I dont care what everyone thinks. he is such a good duck, and he will snuggle up next to me on the couch to watch a movie, but when Ryan comes home he hisses as him. He knows that I am the one taking care of him, so I guess that makes me mom. And what wouldn't a mother do for their child? :)

This is my favorite picture of Bob. I took it down at the lake house when he went under the docks to hide from the dogs last summer. He LOVES going to the lake.

Thumbnail by mcamden

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4812336

So Mel...is Bob going to be in the wedding????? ;o)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008

Post #4812358

of course SHE is!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #4812463

Bobbi will be the one carrying the flowers! Or is that eating the flowers? Would make a very cute picture!! Hope my geese act as nicely towards me. They can chase anyone else they want to LOL

MollyD

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #4813613

Wouldn't it be fun to see Bob going down the aisle with flowers and two little ducklings following her???? I'd definitely want a video of that!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #4814151

Awe! Never thought about Bob's own ducklings!

MollyD
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 16, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #4816590

It would be super cute, and since (s)he comes when we call...her...it would be even better. Do any of you remember the video I posted of him chasing me around the room when he was only a couple days old? Ohhh...I will find my link for it and post again. I asked our priest if he could be in the wedding and our priest looked as thought he wanted to kick me out of the church. He said, 'although I know Bob is like your child...the church does not condone having children out of wedlock so...' we got a good chuckle out of it.

I have another problem I need help with now! I just noticed that one my RIR chicks (2 months old now) has crooked twoes! Poor t hing didnt have them before, and now she cant even get up on the perch with the other chicks. I can post a picture when I get home from work, but not sure if anyone had any pre-ideas. I was thinking that she may be too old to try the pipe cleaner idea, but...maybe not?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 16, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #4816637

OK...I took a couple anyway.

Thumbnail by mcamden

mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 16, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #4816667

and one more. I could put t hese in a new thread...but thought I would start here.

Thumbnail by mcamden

truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #4817277

Poor baby toes! Looks like it may be missing an
extensor tendon, or have weak muscles that attach
to that. I hope you can help it, Mom. At least it can
get around ok and eat.
That is super news about Bob's having laid an egg!
Maybe you could call her Bobette. I would like to see
a picture of her with a veil! and flowers in her beak.
Blown away you are keeping yourself together at this
busy time, with also sewing on dresses! I hope you
have a beautiful wedding, Mel.
I have to tell you why your priest doesn't favor having
Bob in the wedding: My son and DIL had their wedding
at riverside, at Camp Tejas in central Texas. We had to
post signs for miles because it was hard to find. They
wanted their dog, Durham, to be present at the wedding,
so we also put a sign stake with his name on it beside
the alter we made down by the river, and tied him to that.
Just before the wedding began, he got all antsy and whiney
and DS let him go to go swimming, thinking that would
keep him busy and out of trouble. Well, he cut his swim
short, came out of the river, stood right by Father Seth and
shook water all over him right in the middle of the service!
I have to tell you, that man was a saint! He kept right on
without a glitch, even though several members of the
wedding party and guests were laughing their butts off.
Do you still want Bob at the wedding?
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #4817325

Well, at least he didn't pee on him, like my old
dog Toby did on my boss at a company picnic.
He deserved it, though. I am very good at looking
shocked on the outside while laughing on the inside!
Here's good Durham doing what he loves to do for
hours on end- watch chicks.

Thumbnail by truest

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #4817438

Loved those stories!! Durham can't figure out what those little dogs are doing!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 16, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #4817876

Too funny. I dont know if I want Bob at the wedding. I think it would be great for him to be there, but would probably cause more work then it is worth. Since we are getting married inside a Catholic church I dont think there is any way they would allow it. Back to work now. I have a horse that has been loosing weight like crazy, so I need to take the 4-wheeler out to the field and wait for her to do her business so I can check it. Fun times it is having a farm!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #4818075

well, we did our engagement photo with our chicken pen in the background, and me holding my Favorite Leghorn, sorta gothic style. glad we did, since none of our actual wedding photos turned out... no wevery year we take fmaily photos outside with animals. last year it was the baby goats, and we all had guns LOL

so, you could do a picture at your farm with Bobbie... you will treasure it, and no complaints formthe priest or guests!

tf
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 16, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #4818395

That is true. Our photographer came out to our farm to do our engagement pictures, but our baby horse had not yet been born, and the other horses were all covered in mud. I said I wanted to come here after the wedding and do pictures with the animals, but it is a ways away from where the wedding and reception are.

Ok...I got another 40 trees planted! YEAH! I think I have about 40 more to go, but I am waiting for my darling to get home and help! They all have to be planted tonight because the rain is a coming! I think tomorrow I am going to spend the day working on the wedding programs, finishing the dresses, and figuring out what else I still need to do.

I guess it is back to work again. :) I sure love having my own business so I have time to do all these fun farming things!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4818461

amen to that...

;-)
tf
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 16, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #4818709

Mel, my Rocky has the same thing only on one foot, though. It hasn't hurt him getting around and roosting, so I don't know why your RIR hen is having trouble. I also noticed just recently that one of my Aussie hens has the same problem. Don't know what causes it.

We had an EE who's feet were so bad, we wondered how she could walk on them, but she did just fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Her toes actually curled so much her feet were rounded. She was also able to get up on the perch and walk and run okay. They learn to compensate for the crookedness in their toes. At least that is what I have found out.
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

April 17, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #4819336

Well maybe it is not that the hen is having trouble at all...but moreso that the other chicks are segregating her because of her 'disability' those mean girls! Hahaha...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

April 17, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #4819456

my silkies have bent toes but they manage but silkies arent realy the perch tipe so that wouldnt matter to them i also had a silkie who had a twisted leg but it was to late to fix but i tried the vet and they strapped it up and i had to go back every week and at the end they had to put it down it all cost $200 my mum said had she known she would hav rung its neck but i couldnt do that
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2008

Post #4821958

Aw, Lucky. I'm glad you had the vet to do it for
you that time. Maybe it was a bit easier than watching
your mum take care of it.
Well, Mel, keep on those trees! You are almost there.
We are getting some rain tonight, and maybe some
storms. I have a lot of seedlings newly transplanted
this week, so maybe they will not get battered, and
benefit. I can't wait to see wedding pictures, and I
would love to see an updated wedding dress picture
if you are not tired of trying it on.
I am a lucky girl if I need to check horse poop. Sophie
goes in her litter boxes she has scattered around the
property. She is so prissy, she won't even touch the
grass that grows near her poop pile.
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

April 18, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4824997

she was looking after them when i went up the cost for hloidays and she told me one of them was acting funny when i got back
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5441541

bumping this up!
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5441730

thanks. i wish we could condense it and sticky it
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5443965

i suppose you could ask admin? we have never had a sticky in here...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 23, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5455097

i hardly ever see admin post in tis neck of the woods LOL
hey i am going up the coast again and my said she would look after them my girl friend gave me the (they arent comin with us look) so i have no choice but after the last time she looked after them i am a bit timid to let her try LOL
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 23, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5455139

oh i asked admin so i am waiting for a reply :)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5458483

you know there is a part two to this thread as well...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 24, 2008
7:06 AM

Post #5460116

yep
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

August 24, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5461924

A sticky? Whats a sticky? I feel special.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5463547

mcamden a sticky is like DG immortality :-). You get a link to your post or thread pasted at the top of the forum so people can quickly refer to it.

MollyD
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

August 25, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5464972

Wow...that is pretty darn neat. How exciting.

Melissa
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5465231

OMG, melissa, you are STICKIED!!!
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

August 27, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5473964

Wow...I feel so...honored. Awww...I AM special! Or at least my thread is. :)
copperstone
The Dalles, OR

October 23, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5709700

Got some questions on a homemade incubator.
#1. My new incubator is big. It could handle a lot of eggs. But I don't have a turner for it. I am really not interested in using a automatic turner because the eggs are held in a position that I am not sure would be all that great. Plus, I don't have a hatcher right now.
Could someone come up with an idea for me to be able to turn my eggs without my having to open the incubator? Handle needs to be on the left side of the incubator.
#2 I need a way to check the temps inside the incubator and again, without having to open it up. Any Ideas please?
#3. How much surface area on a pie can, cake pan etc. or something like that does an incubating egg need for moisture?
Thanks
CS
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5774900

How do you lower humidity?
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

November 24, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5827471

Hey CS...Sorry I havent checked this thread in a while...left the country got sick...and a month later here I am!

1. I built little baskets for my eggs out of mesh like garden fence or chicken wire. Then put the eggs in a single file line in the baskets, and had the handle come out the side of the bator. I did two rows of baskets which I think you can see in one of the photos I posted. Mine wasnt perfect, but it got the job done.

2. To check the temps inside. I bought a digital thermometor just for this. I used a meat one. then made a hole and stuck it in. You want the bottom of the thermometer to be at the same height at the top of the eggs, but no higher..so you may have to go in on the side depending on how tall your bator is.

3. This totally depends on how many eggs, size of bator, where it is, how often you open it, and how well it is sealed. What I would do is get a Hygrometer. You can buy one at Walmart were the vaporizors are for $1.50. It doesnt have exact #'s, but you can figure it out. Then put that on the floor inside the bator and just play with it. Start with a clean new sponge, and add water. You will constantly have to add water, so just play with it until the level is right, and then keep checking it several times a day (minimum of every time you turn the eggs.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Melissa
mcamden
Glenwood, IA

November 24, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #5827476

To lower humidity, take out the water, or add an air vent.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7259871

I always wondered if I could use a water heater element for heating in air if I hooked it up to 110v. That would mean a 1440w element (at 220v) would be 360w because watts = voltage squared divided by resistance. I KNOW that at 220v, you have to have the element in water.

BTW, I don't know if the resistance of the water heater element might go down (or up?) with its temperature - probably not much if at all.

Use a GFCI 15A or 20A circuit for playing around with these electrical gadgets! Don't want your chickens (OR YOU) electrocuted!

Paul
(retired electrical engineer)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America