-
AuthorContent
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #4354510

I thought I had a thread from before where I had posted some pics of my kitchen as I gradually updated it, but I can't find it now so I'll start over!

Here is the "before" picture from when I first bought the house in June '06

Thumbnail by ecrane3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #4354523

I replaced the microwave and range shortly after I moved in--the microwave barely worked, and if I turned the oven on it smelled like something had crawled in there and died! Then in May of last year I painted the walls red.

Thumbnail by ecrane3

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #4354533

Then around August or so I had granite countertops put in

Thumbnail by ecrane3

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #4354550

And finally, I added crown molding to the cabinets, painted them, and added hardware (please ignore the misaligned handles on the cabinets above the microwave...my template must have slipped while I was drilling the holes on one of them, I'll get around to fixing it one of these days!)

Thumbnail by ecrane3

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
4:27 AM

Post #4354566

And one more shot of the finished kitchen (well, maybe not totally finished...I'd still like to replace the fluorescent light with something less ugly! And I'd love stainless steel appliances someday!)

Thumbnail by ecrane3

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2008
4:33 AM

Post #4354610

WOW ecrane, very, very nice! I love the red walls! DH talked me into painting ours red a while back, and I just love it! Was a bit leary about it making it too dark, but it is great, even with black cabinets. Ours is a 'madder red'. Your counter top is beautiful, too! Been trying to talk DH in to making some new cabinet fronts for ours, just haven't managed to get it done. We did put marble counter top, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you seal it with something!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #4354675

Thanks! I love red walls, had them at the kitchen in my old house too and I knew I had to do it again!

Granite needs to be sealed too just like marble to keep it from staining, but the stone itself is pretty much indestructible, not like marble where if you clean it with acidic cleaners it starts eating away at the stone! I love the look of marble but it's too easy to damage it.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2008
4:47 AM

Post #4354692

I would definitely go with red again if we bought a different house!

Marble is very nice, but the coffee stains will NOT come out, and we did have one crack on a vein, but thankfully it was small and was able to 'repair' it!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #4365349

Love your Kitchen Redeaux!!!! I especially love the way you ran the granite up the walls for about..what...6 inches? It's great because you can see the lovely granite from across the room! Great idea! I have slate that runs from the counter up to the cabinets...but I like yours better!

I too love the color red for walls...painted my first dining room walls red back in the late 70's...people thought I was KRazy!!!!!! Since then I have had at least one red wall in every house I've lived in...can't live without it! My only red wall in this house (MY LAST!!!) is just a little piece of wall between 2 cabinets in my bar area...and it's a rusty red mixed with a little container of copper! It gave the red a nice luster.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #4366043

Thanks Connie! Yes, the granite goes 6" up the wall. I thought about doing a backsplash in a different material, but then decided it would work better to just do the granite like that. It's a pretty small kitchen, so I didn't want to get too many different materials going. Your rusty red with copper sounds really pretty--got any pics?
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2008
7:23 AM

Post #4366510

Yes...let me look...
Edited to say...sorry this is blurry! I usually delete those!

This message was edited Jan 6, 2008 1:24 AM

Thumbnail by Connie_G

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #4367306

That is nice--I like the metallic effect! If I decide to do any accent walls anywhere I'll keep that in mind.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4458621

Love your kitchen ecrane!! Our kitchen is falling apart and needs new cabinets. The cabinets have had a weird smell in them the whole time we have lived here (10+ yrs) and now the doors are falling off. But the kitchen probably won't get done unless we win the lottery. LOL
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #4458678

Thanks! I'm so much happier with it now. For yours, you might consider painting the cabinets (and replacing a few hinges where needed). Paint can really work wonders on old tired cabinets and make them look like new. I've done it twice now and it made a world of difference, and I've seen them do it all the time on those HGTV shows where people are getting ready to sell their houses and it works wonders there too so I don't think you can go wrong.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #4458697

We thought about painting them but the doors themselves are in bad shape. Plus no matter what we do the cabinets stink. We have painted the insides and it made no difference. Otherwise we would. Just one of those things that we have to live with til we are able to afford to start work on it.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #4458821

That is strange that the paint didn't take away the offensive odor! I'll bet it's something behind them, or could it be mold in the walls? Paint gives all wood a new lease on life as far as a fresh smell is concerned.

My ex and I used to flip houses for a living, and painted MANY houses reeking with smoke, and after replacing carpet and painting...voila...great, fresh smell.

Perhaps the odor comes from years of grease permeating the outside wood? I'll bet if you painted the outside you would like them a lot... I used to paint old cabinets--no matter how banged up--and then sand like crazy...back to the original wood (you have to take any lacquer off first) and the look is great.

I even had that done on my new cabinets ...painted black and then sanded back to the pine. Here it is...Well, I can't find the pic right now...will take some tomorrow and post.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #4458846

The smell is unusual. It almost smells like pot but that's not what it is. There isn't any mold for sure. That's something that would be caught in this house.

One reason why we want new cabinets is the layout isn't efficent and we need to enhance it. The kitchen will bump out into the dining room a bit and the back door will be moved, a wall will become an island, and another wall will become a pantry. That's our goal but even though we have a small house and kitchen it still costs more than we can afford at this point so we live with it. Doors haven't fallen off yet so it's still useable. lol
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #4458857

That plan does sound like a 15 - 50k investment to me!

I guess I've always wanted to go ahead and spend about 150.00 for paint supplies and go ahead and spend the time and money to enjoy it while waiting for the huge change! But then I love projects that take a lot of time...kinda hyper here...ha

I understand that everyone is not a "project seeker" like I am!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2008 8:58 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #4458895

Our house is "half-finished." lol. My dad remodels for a living and he gets burned out when it comes to our house. We have 3 colors and styles of trim, several different floors, mismatched doors, and a few other things half done. And our house is less than 900 sq ft. But we live with it just as long as the important things work and work great. lol
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #4458959

Well, I'm a teacher and overworked, but I love to come home and have something to do! I just finished making a storage room into a studio for me...well, carpenters put in the window, but I did all the painting, and it has taken be about a month!

I first painted a peachy-pink color (flat paint) then glazed it with orange---rubbed it in with rags. Then I sanded back to the texture which was applied with a trowel...lots of elbow grease!
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9084294

@ ecrane3 ~ I don't know if you'll see this reply, since your thread was first posted back in 2008. Your kitchen "remodel" is outstanding! I liked the original way it looked prior to your tackling the "redo" ~ but that's just me. I do like the way your cabinets looked after you painted them white though!

I'm also in the process of "revamping" my kitchen in my mobile home. Yes, I would probably love to go all 'hog' wild with the reno work too, but I'm making mine have more of a country type look to the overall appearance. Unfortunately, all the cabinets are made with that "dreaded" particle board [not even any MDF at all!] and were painted white when I first moved in. I decided to start doing the painting within the first year I had bought the place & only being able to do the painting on my days off. I've done the walls in a yellow color called "Marigold" while the cabinet fronts are painted with "Vanilla Creme" and the trim is painted with a blue shade called "Boathouse." I've replaced all the original hardware with all black handles, hinges & knobs.

I've still got a ways to go with it, but considering I'm the only one living here ~ no "honey" to help ~ guess who does it all? I'm like Connie_G in the fact that I'm always working on a project around the house. I know enough to be an avid DIYer, but won't hesitate to bring in a pro to do the job, if it's out of my skill area. Replacing the countertops will have to wait until I get another F/T job; I've been on unemployment since Jan. 2011. Anyone knows that barely covers anything these days! If anyone replies to this comment, then I'll post some images of the kitchen taken with better lighting. I love looking at everyone's photos of their projects ~ gives me some ideas for other things I might want to try. Oh & yes, also a dedicated HGTV fan! Take care y'all! :)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9084437

I hated the white tile counters with the brown grout, just can't stand that look. So the counters had to go! I didn't mind the cabinets as much, although I like them better painted. I'd love to see pics of yours if you have time.
hildaL
Chongqing
China

September 5, 2012
1:00 AM

Post #9265415

I still have no idea how to design my kitchen. It's so bad.
defodil
Washington D.C.
United States

October 18, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9308744

hi
i am going to remodeling my kitchen and need some suggestions and ideas most impotent thing suppliers of home appliances..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 196 Nov 15, 2013 3:43 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America