Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Morning Glories: Trellis and Vine Pole Ideas

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 18, Views: 585
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 3, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #4356287

I guess we are all thinking SPRING and SUMMER now to grow our I. nils. I love my vines - MGs as well as others! My yard is basically being designed as outdoor garden rooms, so I am looking for cheap but beautiful ideas. I came across the Better Homes and Gardens website that has some amazing trellis and vine pole ideas in it! I thought I would share it with all of you if you are looking for some ideas for creating a decorative pole or trellis to showcase your favorite MG vines:

Trellises:
http://www.bhg.com/bhg/search/results.jsp?searchType=content&searchString=trellis&_requestid=89115

Vine Poles:
http://www.bhg.com/bhg/search/results.jsp?searchType=content&searchString=Vine+Pole&_requestid=103080

Click on the orange highlighted list to the left for pictures and plans for each design. Some are really, really cheap to make! (My kinda project!)

Enjoy!
~Becky~

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #4356313

The best thing for me so far has been the bended cattle panel trellis. You can put them up really fast and while they are not that picturesque they are soon covered in vines anyway.

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #4357906

Great link, Becky - lots of versatility there. I think I've got a case of cattle-panel envy, Beth - bet they'd make great deer barriers.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 4, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #4358430

Oh my, it's that time. This year hopefully my cattle panels will go up.. I've got some in the raised beds, but want to put some to make the tunnel for gourds.

Beth, do you have two tied together?

I've been gathering headboards and footboards from thriftstores to make a couple of benches for this summer, but I may just keep them inside, the headboards I found are really neat and have great carvings. Anyway, the reason I mentioned them is that on the TT forum they had a couple of the bedsprings from probably the 50's or 60's that a person made a trellis out of.. You could probably spray them green to blend in and put three to form a triangle oblisk type.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4358650

Oh, so many ideas! Thanks, Becky, for posting the links!

A - I wish I had cattle panels, but I wouldn't even know where to look for them! I'm thinking of making some sort of small tunnel out of wood or pvc.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 4, 2008
3:52 AM

Post #4358724

The cattle panels are at most lumber stores.. and they come in several sizes too. Give them a call.
AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #4358883

I got mine at Tractor Supply

Anne
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2008
7:23 AM

Post #4359068

Beth - I do really like the livestock fencing tunnel idea. I wish that was something I could figure out how to tie down somehow. With the tropical storm winds we get here, I'm afraid it would blow away if I don't have it secured somehow. But I really, really like that idea! I love seeing your pictures of the vines all over the tunnel! Way cool!

I was thinking that maybe I could sink some 10 ft. tall 4 X 4 posts in the ground to 8' tall height and secure some of the livestock fencing to them to make a tall trellis. It would sure make a nice privacy wall when the vines are all over it. Sort of like the photo at the top of this thread, only instead of being all wood and fancy, it would just be the posts with the fencing attached. Hmmm ... I am wanting a 4 ft. tall white picket vinyl fence around my new patio for vines to grow on. I was going to make an arbor entrance to the backyard along with adding some fencing. Using 4 X 4 wood posts and livestock fencing would sure be a lot cheaper. Ooh! Can you see my brain lighting up!!!! Hmmm ...

This message was edited Jan 4, 2008 2:28 AM
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4359928

I have about 5 cattle panels wired together to make the tunnels. They do not tend to blow away at all! You just get 4 pieces of rebar and pound them down into the ground. Then you bend the cattle panel into an arch in between them. The spring tension will keep it there but I use a bit of wire on each rebar anyway. Wind blows right through these so they are no apt to pick up and blow away. I can't see that happening no matter how strong the wind got. You can also hang hanging baskets of mgs from them. They are exactly the right height to walk through.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 4, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #4359974

These are two halves of one panel that we cut and placed inside the raised beds when as we constructed the beds.. there is a rockwall now and you cannot see the field now. The winds did not bother these at all, I even had several melons climb up these trellis'. They were meant for peas and greenbeans.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 4, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #4359983

If you can weld, you can make some really neat arbors. There were some on DG in one of the forums, I'll try to find it. They look just like gazebos.

I forgot to add you can make the arbors/gazebos out of the cattle panels.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2008 9:45 AM
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 4, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #4360038

found the forum: Garden Art Forum

check this one out and you can find other things he posted.

scroll down this link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/539641/ and see post Number 1713612 by vs71099 in the same thread, he/she has posted several other photos of smaller trellis.
fchilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2008
10:25 AM

Post #4489387

For those who can use smaller welded steel wire, you can find it at home depot in the concrete supplies. They have 4'x5' pieces, for around $5 for reinforcing concrete. They relly get your imagination going. Frank
glen74
Effingham, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #4490587

BindweedBeth, I really like the cattle fencing panels. Gives me lots of ideas. I think I might have seen this before (I'm thinking it was actually at Six Flags in St. Louis, MO) and they had wisteria growing all over it. It created very dark shade. I'm thinking the cattle panels would look great with morning glories and Paul's Himalyan Musk rose climbing all over it.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #4509568

Thankyou Becky!
I'm always looking for trellis ideas!
I have some vine poles built with the cattle wire, and use everything from bamboo ladders to chains...
After Huricane Rita dropped the next door neighbors pecan tree on the premises, I had the builders leave the tall posts on the fence..as I knew I would do something with them...most likely a trellis...that page I think is going to be the answer - I think the vine pole idea is going to work great with the posts!
The picture is the top of the fence with the original sized posts...right now I just have an ordinary trellis between them.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #4509577

think it was this photo...on the right

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #4509588

I give up after this one..this might show the posts

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4509638

rj - LOL! If the last posted photo was larger ... I might be able to see what the posts look like! LOL!

Your vines are beautiful and I love the trellis idea. I hear ya about hurricanes destroying your yard. Been there, done that! But I can thank Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne for my newfound love of gardening. That was the start of my great adventure with garden beds, DG, and plants, plants, and more plants!!! I'm loving every moment! :-)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #4509673

LOL..I guess the idea is there anyway..Those post been sticking up since then ..I've just been waiting for the right idea.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America