Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bromeliads: My Xmas Presant.................problem?

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 5, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

January 4, 2008
8:09 AM

Post #4359084

Hi All,

This is such a beauty and I think I am not doing something right.

The flower's are trying to open but they look dead as they open, is this the normal thing?

Maybe I am not watering it enough or maybe not enough sun????

I am new to Bromilaids, can someone help?

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #4360636

I had a tillandsia that did the same thing. As the buds opened, the flowers were brown and dead looking. The buds were there for months, and didnt open till the weather just started getting cold. Also, I had just moved it from its spot under my tree to the greenhouse. I assumed it had something to do with either the change in location, or the change in weather. I dont know that is what it is, but thats the changes it had at the time.
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

January 5, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #4362450

Hi, Thanks for your help.

I was just looking forward to seeing the flower's as this is such a beautiful plant.

Was this what yours looked like?

So it's not what I am or am not doing?

Thks,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2008
3:52 AM

Post #4369812

Try increasing th humidity. Vrieseas are all rainforest plants. If the air is too dry, the bracts will often stick together.

You can simply immerse the entire influorescense into warm water with just a tiny tiny bit of dishwashing liquid. Work the bracts until loose, then rinse.

Dave.
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

March 11, 2008
6:26 AM

Post #4649542

Hi Guys again,

I have some up dated picture's of this beautiful plant and need help as to whether I should brake them apart and re-pot in different pots.

It it the time of year here in Australia to do it, some days are nice, some are so hot, to 40 degree's.

They are in a small black pot and I do not want them to die????

Thanks Guys,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #4650078

Vrieseas are pretty easy to seperate. Some people, however, prefer to grow them in large clumps. Most of the time all of the new plants will flower at the same time just as your two did.

The easiest way is to just gently pry the offsets apart being careful to part them on the more woody base. You can use a small knife to slice down through the jointly connected part. The offsets root easily, just don't pot them too deeply.

Dave.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America