-
AuthorContent
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #4363224

I have similar memories growing up in a very rural environment in NY. Although we did have indoor plumbing, there was an outhouse out back as we purchased the home from my great grandfather. There were times we did end up reverting back to that outhouse! I ended up marrying a farmer and have chosen to work part-time to spend more time with my family and have fewer extras. My Mom and Grandma taught me how to can and freeze just about everything and I do it today. It amazes my friends that my food tastes so much better that I have grown and canned or frozen. How could it not when you do it out of love for your family such as your family did? The best memories I have from growing up are not of material things but of playing in the creek and sledding with my family. Your article brought tears to my eyes remembering... Thank you.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #4365281

Thanks, DancingBear. I'm very glad the story revived some memories for you. Those of us that were born into farming families share a special connection with the Earth, I think, and are able to appreciate the moment to moment wonders that reveal themselves to us in the most ordinary ways. It seems unfortunate that future generations will probably lack the simple joys of growing crops and being mostly self-sufficient. At least we have the memories to share, and I greatly appreciate that you took the time to let me know you identified with the story.

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Christmas Apples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful story! KyWoods 10 Dec 27, 2007 12:55 AM
Thank you for sharing! doccat5 2 Dec 25, 2007 9:17 PM
Southern Traditions gloria125 1 Dec 26, 2007 2:24 PM
Absolutely , LOVED CSMMaMaw 3 Dec 29, 2007 1:22 AM
Christmas story selrodjx 1 Dec 29, 2007 1:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America