Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Planting seeds with sand mixed in

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 8, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #4364808

Hi! How are you all doing on this wonderful rainy afternoon!! Does anyone know the ratio that works best of sand to annual seed when planting native wildflowers?

I tried googling and the results were anywhere to one part seed to one part sand or nine parts sand to one part soil to one part seed. Neither one of these sounds feasible.

Thanks,

Chuck
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #4364852

Are you using the sand to mix in with small seeds so that when you scatter them you don't end up with everything all clumped together? If that's what you're doing, then the amount of sand you want would depend on how closely spaced you want your plants to be...more sand will space the seeds farther apart, less sand they'll end up closer together. I would think typically you'd want a decent amount more sand than seed, otherwise the seeds will end up almost as close together as they would without the sand. I don't know where the 1 part soil comes from, but the 9 parts sand to 1 part seeds sounds like it might be reasonable.
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #4365386

Thanks, ecrane3...I really appreciate everything you do for Davesgarden.

Thanks again,

Chuck
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4365990

Glad to help! Good luck with your seeds!
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #4372121

Ecrane3,

I found that even though nine parts sand to one part seeds sounds like a lot, I had to double it in order to get the seeds spread far enough apart. I was hesitant at first but as I proceeded it was really a lot of fun. Not only could you see where the sand is but you can also see the seeds. Of course it is not raining now and I wanted to make sure the seeds have a nice start, so I misted them from a garden sprayer twice.

Thanks again,

Chuck
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #4373574

Glad you got it worked out! You'll have to post some pics of your wildflowers once they're blooming--I'm sure they're going to be beatiful!
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4430717

These annual wildflowers are coming up quickly. I am thinking about purchasing a couple of the California Native Annual Wildflower Mixes from Theodore Payne Native Plant website. I always have a lot of space between perennials that I am trying to start in the garden and my wife suggested that for a season or two, it might not be such a bad idea to sow native wildflower seeds. There is a large selection at the website and it sounds like a fun thing to do. Even if I end up weeding their offspring next year, this might not be such a bad idea to fill in the awkward spaces. I have used a lot of Red Devil Verbena to fill in so far but I am always looking for something new as there is a lot of space between some of the perennials!!!

I can hardly wait until some of the first wildflowers start blooming and I can photograph them.

Thanks again,

Chuck
godsplace
Toledo, IA
(Zone 4a)

January 22, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #4438158

hi---ninety percent sand wouldnt be too much but must be dry---you can always go back and scatter the leftover sand out a second time---concerning sand for seed planting--as a soil ammendment in loam i cant remember what proportions but like one quarter to half sand and the rest loam will make concrete hard dirt as i found out --stevo
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #4439296

I don't think this sand was an amendment--it's just a way to sow your seeds so they don't wind up all on top of each other. If you mix your seeds witha bunch of sand and then toss them out on the ground, you end up with much better spacing between plants than you would if you just tossed the seed out there. But there's nowhere near enough sand to cause the problems you will have if you try to amend clay with sand.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America