Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bromeliads: trashcan refugee

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 1, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yarapa
Lick Creek, IL
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #4366118

A few years ago I found a sorry looking bunch of Bromeliads sitting in the trash besind a second hand shop. They hadn't been watered for a long time and needed to be repotted. I brought them home and stuck them at the base of some tall plants The ones in the picture are at the base of a Corn Plant.

Is it a Billbergia of some kind? I know its probably to early to tall by the budding but I gonna shoot it every day or so and watch it progress to its blossum. I've been putting apple cores under the leaves, Could that help it Bloom? Thanks, Steve

Thumbnail by yarapa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #4369827

Could be a Billbergia. Yow will know by the flowers. Check www.fcbs.org (photo index - Billbergias).

If it's a Bill, it's showing it by the elongated narrow leaves. When in the right light, Bills have stouter leaves in a tubular form.

Dave.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America