Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Japanese Maples 101: I believe I am love!

Communities > Forums > Article: Japanese Maples 101
bookmark
Forum: Article: Japanese Maples 101Replies: 13, Views: 219
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2008
8:47 AM

Post #4366591

I have fallen hard for the "Bloodgood" variety. I'm planning a "purple" themed area and I think that would make a magnificent focal point.
Lots of great information in your article and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #4366702

Hi Todd, I'm a A. palmatum lover from way back. I have "Bloodgood" in the front yard where it gets the north wind all winter, and yet thrives. I also have a member of the dissectum group (no cultivar name on the tag) in a rock bed on the SE corner of the house. It is currently about 2 feet high with a spread laterally of 4 feet. It is covered this year, but fought the elements unprotected last year and shed a few branches. It has a definite sweep to it - not exactly weeping, but most relaxed.

I've tried to raise cuttings from the dissectum. It is grafted onto a palmatum root, and I'd like to have one with it's own roots, but have had very bad luck. I think this spring, I'll pin one of the branches that insists on laying on the ground down and see if I can get some roots that way.

Great article, thanks.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4366972

Crimson Queen is my star! Todd, beautiful and informative article. Thank you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4367348

Todd, thank you for a wonderful article, well written and packed with information. Your photos are stunning! I have a butterfly J. maple as the focal point in my side garden, and your article makes me want to redesign my other beds... :-)
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #4368091

Superb article and photos - we too are real enthusiasts about these. What a treat this was!
sparkielyle
Apex, NC

January 7, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4368977

Thanks for the article. A very close friend died in Sept 2007 and our current favorite tree to plant in memory to him in our yard is a JM. I am the gardener in the family so I am looking and looking for that very special tree. I heard from Carolina Gardner tour there is a special farm that doesn't really advertise close to Greensboro NC but I can't remember more. I favor the oranges better than red and our friend was from TN so that seems fitting. Any very special ideas appreciated.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 7, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #4369746

Oh. Me too! This is the best introduction to Japanese Maples Ive seen.

Lori1
Lake Crystal, MN

January 7, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #4370856

I have LOVED these trees for a few years now! Im in zone 4b and its been exciting for me to see what will make it through my winters. The Emperor 1 has been so outstanding! Ive had it in the ground now for 3 years, with no die back. The last time I counted I had 22 different kinds, some in pots but most in the ground.
I have been mulching,and the rabbits are just crazy around here so I have to put protection on for that to. Their is something so very...I cant express... about these gifts of nature, its just pure love for me!
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2008
8:43 AM

Post #4390730

Todd, your article was one of the best I've read for JM 101. I am in Zone 8a. Presently I have two JMs doing splendidly: Sheina (dwarf) and Emerald Green (lace leaf). I tried to grow a lace leaf Bloodgood about two years ago. It died. I think it didn't like the Mississippi full sun. Also, it was a fairly large tree transplanted from a local nursery.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 12, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #4392952

sparkielyle. Yes, I would like to know more about orange varieties also.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4393516

One of the most popular orange varieties is 'Orange Dream'...it leaves out orange, turns chartreuse in summer then orange-red in fall. 'Katsura' is very similar and also starts off orange but turns more yellow-green in summer but turns back orangy in fall. 'Orangeola' leaves out orange but turns red then back to orange-red in fall. The first two are palmatum types, the last a dissectum (and dwarf). Omure yama is still one the brightest oranges in fall but starts off green with a bronzy cast then green in summer.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 13, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4393533

Thanks Todd: Ill look for those.

I wonder how the Japanese maples would mix with camellias. the camellias always have a dark green waxy leaf and they are evergreen.

It would seem that the lacy leaf structure of the JMs would provide a nice contrast, but Im not sure if the cultural requirements are similar.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #4394943

Both prefer acidic soil...I think they would work perfectly!
sparkielyle
Apex, NC

May 26, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5003149

I had a tough time finding Orange Dream. Not many folks have it in stock. I ordered one from Forest Farm, tube size. It has been doing great. I saw only one in my area - it was very large and had awesome color. Awesome price to at $600...hence the small one. Good luck and you can't go wrong with this one!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Japanese Maples 101 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
full sun ornamental tree - max 20' Krewson 2 May 22, 2008 6:06 PM
Arid Lands moxiecosmos 2 May 20, 2010 10:25 AM
Golden full moon japanese maple cshofner 2 Sep 25, 2008 5:43 PM
Weeping Japanese Maple in shade pianita 4 Apr 21, 2009 3:37 PM
Acer palmatum Kiyo Hime Penjing 0 Aug 25, 2008 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America