Photo by Melody

Passifloras: Passiflora mollissima - is it really this hardy?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 9, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4369066

I bought a plant of P. mollissima after remembering it growing way up in Andes in Peru and the farm owner saying they get heavy frosts and it does well. So far so good here - it seems to be completely unaffected by the frost, snow, wind, etc we've had even though it gets overhead protection by a large cedar tree and on a fence. I'm kinda surprised its doing so well considering the Heliotropiums are already fried to a crisp. Should I expect some die-back or are they pretty good in 8b mild?
poiuy704
chilliwack, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #4371315

how old is your plant? I have left the same one outside as well as a number of other varieties to see if they would winter for me in Chilliwack. Even though it's hit -5C, so far so good for most of them, although I think the snowcover has helped alot . I'm sure I'll see alot more damage if we get some outflow winds without any snowcover. Keep us posted on how yours does the rest of this winter and into spring.
Jim

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #4371342

My plant is new from a 4" pot and grew quite a bit this summer. It looks as good now as it did at the end of summer. I guess I'm kinda surprised. Let me know how some of your other ones come through the winter. Chilliwack is 8b?
poiuy704
chilliwack, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5032686

Well it looks like my mollisima survived this past winter and is putting on lots of new growth. Other survivors were belotii, Betty Myles Young, Lavender Lady, caerulea, incarnata in the ground and Constance Elliot and violacea in a large container. I also spotted some of last years non-stop begonias popping up this morning so I guess winter really must of been mild. Here's last years Constance Elliot.

Thumbnail by poiuy704
Click the image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5032761

Mine made it through the winter too. Didn't expect it to make it so well. It seemed to grow throught the winter. I'm just waiting for some blooms.
poiuy704
chilliwack, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5032877

Where did you buy yours?

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #5033404

It was at a booth at the VanDusen Show last year. Can't remember the name of the nursery.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5037257

I would be interested to know if anyone has had any luck with this in zone 10 and/or growing this from seed.

I just ordered seed from http://www.georgiavines.com and am excited to receive them and get started.
poiuy704
chilliwack, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #5062279

Hey Growin
I know the place you got it from, a wonderful little nursery in my back yard. I'm glad to here it's doing well for you.
Floridabunnie,
I grew my original plant from seed I ordered from JL Hudson Seeds a few years back. Germinated quickly, in about 2 weeks and flowered about a year and a half later in the greenhouse.
Jim

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5063046

Jim, thanks for the plant! You had a bunch of other stuff I wanted. I was in the VanDusen library booth next to yours and thanks for the freebee New Guinea Impatiens at the end of the show. The Tibouchina I got from you was an awesome performer. Dmail me your website/list for this year.

I had suspicions P. mollissima would do ok if sited right as I found it in some very cold areas of Peru. The fruit was pretty tasty.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America