Tags feature for DG?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Would tags be something doable here at DG? The Favorites feature is great, as is Watched Threads. But it would be really cool if people could enter keywords or tags for various threads and even posts. Sites like Pixamo.com, Flickr.com, Youtube.com and other social sites do this to great advantage.

Say, for instance, we want to find an old entry in which Horseshoe posted a story. Searching all of DG might be difficult, but if someone who did know the location of some real gems (ahem), she might tag those with a keyword like "shoeisms". ;)

On a more serious note, it would be such a boon to be able to tag certain threads or posts with keywords (tags) which describe what is discussed in them. If the membership pitched in as it always does, finding information would be even more accessible than it already is! Think of how useful this would be when people talk about needs specific to certain plant species. There are also many general gardening or even chat threads which hold within them hidden treasures specific to certain plants. With tags or keywords, users could mark these for their own future reference as well as for a growing cross reference others might use.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Great idea!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I often try to encourage people to start a new thread for a topic or a question that comes up -- not because I'm against off topic discussions as such, but just because I don't like to see useful and important information buried. It's really hard to search for information you know you saw "somewhere" when it's on a thread with a completely different subject. Being able to tag the information with an appropriate keyword would *really* help!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I guess I am, going to be taught about those. I see them on Flickr and maybe Photobucket? and just ignore them because I don't understand what they are, what words to use, and how to use them!

Suyz

(Zone 1)

Oh, how I would love such a feature! Many times I have wanted to find something I know I saw posted "somewhere" on DG but usually end up giving up after awhile of trying to find it with no luck. Tags would be a great addition!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Suyz, I ran across a post at Flickr which did a great job of visually explaining tags. See if this woman's photo more sense out of them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/260004685/

There's even a link to her finished presentation regarding tagging: http://www.brainjams.org/blog/chrisheuer/tag-presentation-netsquared-today This looks neat!

The link to the post's tags could be as simple as the word "tags" beneath the poster's ID or the thread title. They would not have to appear right on the same page. Tags added by previous members would show up, plus there would be a place to add new ones. The system could even suggest tags based on the text contained.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 9:23 AM

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I always try to think of what I would have put in a search if I was looking for this photo, and that is what I put in the tag line.

Thanks GardenWife, I needed that!!! I must say, Members come up with the most amazing links on DG! It saves the rest of us mere mortals a LOT of time, thank you!

I still have to click on the links, but I promise to do that before the weekend, or when I have time to really think about what I'm reading. ( I have a funky little seed swap going on now and it takes a wee bit of time to keep up with these gals!)

Cactus, I'll Keep that in mind, because somebody mentioned Shoeisms and I had no idea what they were talking -- it looked Japanse LOL! -- about until I looked at it for a bit. Shoe (must be a DGer) isms (interesting thoughts and ramblings and general good ideas).. LOL!

Suzy

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Suzy, See http://davesgarden.com/files/Shoeflower/ enlarge photo! for fun!

A tagging feature would be extremely nice and useful. My biggest concern is that it may confuse a lot of people, and very few would end up using it.

I'll give it some thought, though. I agree it would be very handy, both as a personal tool and to improve the navigation of the whole site for everyone (if you could browse the whole site for the tags that everyone has entered in)

dave

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I have noticed that few use them on flickr. I do a search and then later find some of the best shots of quilts or gardens were those I never found in the search. However, since I tag my photos, they find me and contact me so I guess in a round about way it helps me? LOL!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
(if you could browse the whole site for the tags that everyone has entered in)

So Dave, is that possible?

It would definately be used by me!

LOL! NOW I see a shoeism :) See, it all makes sense and I will never forget that tag name again.

Dave, tags might not be the things for the over 50 crowd, but if it's not a programming nightmare, it would be pretty phat to stay current with the kids...they do grow up.

Suzy

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ahem!....
That Shoeflower just keeps coming back, a true perennial! Sheesh! :>)

I had never heard of tags either until the other nite when GW mentioned it on another thread. So, people enter words (tags) of their choice as a memory jog to a particular topic/thread they may want to view in the future, or lead others to? And if different people enter different words (tags) that refer to the same post/topic all those tags would take you there? I guess like the Search feature it would bring up many posts/threads and give you choices of your picks?

Shoe (minus the flower!)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

It would also make it possible to search by multiple tags "Horseshoe" "Tomato" "Tale" which is one I still can't find :~P

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

So it's like a high-dollar search function? Or guess I mean a highly-advanced function?

You must be thinking of maters lately, Zany. I'll go see if I can find it for you.

Shoe

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Shoe. Yep, dreamin' of juicy, flavorful, drippin' down the face goodness!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay, last off-topic post for me in this thread. Zany, I found it!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/19802/

Nitey nite!

Shoe

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Shoe. You Da Bomb! That folks is a classic "Shoeism" !

This message was edited Jan 9, 2008 2:33 AM

It is certainly do-able, no problem there. We currently have tagging of the articles feature (only the writers can tag articles, though) and you can see how it works here:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/tagged.php?tag=Tomatoes

A site-wide tagging system would be really nice, but it would have to be used by a lot of people for it to be of any use. I'd also have to work to make a very nice (and easy!) interface for entering the tags. But if these hurdles can be cleared, then I think it would be something worth doing.

dave

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

WOW, that would be great!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I think this is a great idea, and am happy to hear that it's possible within the large technical framework of the site. My solution has been to Bookmark the different posts - but that's ending up a rather larger chore than I'd first anticipated, as there is just too much valuable information in here to depend on Bookmarks!!

As a former adult educator, may I suggest that for those of us in the "over 50" group that we consider an article to introduce it, and perhaps a "DG" term for it (to accompany "tag") so that "tag" doesn't come across as too potentially intimidating? Having taught people how to use computers (ranging in age from their 20's to their 80's) most of the time I found their fears to be based on not understanding the "geek speak" used by those who are more comfortable with the technology or tool.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

It sounds like we are asking Dave to excercise his athletic abilities and jump some high hurdles. He sounds like it is a challenge he is capable of meeting but is counter challenging us to commit to using it if he exerts that energy.

I accept the challenge. How many others ot there will commit to using it if he builds it?

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

You've got me - I would use it regularly. And, I would bet that with some of the posts I've found (Illoquin, ecrane, Shoeisms :> ) that I would probably come to be dependent on it! Right off the top of my head would be the Wintersown Database...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the the reply, Dave. The tags could be -- and would likely have to be -- more basic than the nested ones used at Pixamo.

I think the term "label" might be a name that makes sense to people. We put labels on things to organize them, and it's not a stretch to think things could have multiple labels.

Think of labels as file folders named by topic. To have a document filed under different topic folders, you'd have to make duplicate copies of the document, and put a copy in each of the folders. With computers, however, a single document (i.e. thread, post) can easily have multiple labels. Separate folders are not needed because many labels can be associated with one document. An article would be a great introduction, I agree.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you GW - you explained that much better than I did - LOL!

And yes - thank you Dave, very much!!

Good explanation, Kimberly.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

maybe use the term "keywords" to simplify for those unfamiliar with tags?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I think it's a great idea. I know I have copied and pasted several links to a word document to try to be able to find stuff when I need it. Tagging would sure be a BIG help!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Kimberly! That was a great explanation. Please say you'll write the article. :-)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I would. :)

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Yay!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thank you!

And a big THANK YOU to Dave for being willing to implement this feature! Together with bookmarking and using the favorites folder, this will be a really helpful tool when it comes to finding things here!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Cool! I'll be waiting for GW's article then, and will use the tag/label feature. (It took quite a while to find the link above for Zany using the Search feature. Tagging sounds easier.)

Thanks Dave! You da man!

Shoe

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I might have found it myself eventually but I didn't remember there being an Heirloom forum back then. I have it bookmarked now though so I can get a grin and a tomato fix whenever I need it!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Since all the other internet sites use the term "tags" I think it should also be used here. JMHO

This message was edited Jan 10, 2008 10:49 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I agree. I think gardenwife's article will explain the term nicely... and maybe the popup box to add the tags can have a "what is this?" link to a definition... the definition could even link in term to the article.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

"I accept the challenge. How many others ot there will commit to using it if he builds it?"

I'll use it

Okay, it's time to start playing around a bit.

I have updated the "Favorites" icon up top to instead point to the tagging system. Obviously, this system will replace Favorites, since by tagging pages you are making them a Favorite of sorts. Later you'll be able to browse the pages that you have tagged.

So I guess it's fair to call this "Favorites v2.0".

Anyway, please go to a page on the site you want to tag, and then click the folder icon on the top-right of the page. Then tag away.

Please start tagging pages. Once we have several pages tagged, I will have enough data to work with and can start making the browsing tools.

dave

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Am I going to lose what I have earmarked in my favorites already? If so, I need to do something with them first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images