Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods: Persimmon trees in Arizona

Communities > Forums > Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods
bookmark
Forum: Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the GodsReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sycamoreshirl
Cornville, AZ

January 7, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #4370599

Has anyone had success in gorwing persimmons in Northern Arizona? We are near Sedona on Oak Creek. It gets down to 12 degrees F in winter on our ranch and up to 108 in summer.
I'd love to have one of these, but am reluctant to try if it's like a cranberry or blueberry and cannot handle the intense heat. Any help here? Thanks-
Murrieta
Murrieta, CA

January 7, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4370698

I have an Asian persimmon, this year was the best producing year so far. I believe I'm in zone 8-9. More fruit than I can give away so I'm slicing the crisp fruit and drying, it's delicious dried ! Does anyone have tips on growing from seed ? I have many friends who would like to get a start from my wonderful tree.
Murrieta, CA
eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

August 31, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #7009102

I have a five year old American Persimmon thriving in Albuquerque. N.M. (Our temps are a little lower than yours but do go to 100 degrees). I gotta warn you though---it took me four tries to get the tree to "take." Bare root did NOT work. I finally got a potpacked one from Stark Bros. which I canned up in a five gallon pot and grew for a year in the pot before I transplanted it to a full sun location. The tree was very small when it arrived from Stark so the fact that it has a long taproot was not a problem in its interim pot.

The tree has not yet produced persimmons though it is supposed to be a variety which is self-fertile. sk

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great stuff! Candyce 14 Jan 7, 2008 10:24 AM
interested in buying persimmon plants/se batuksinh 3 Sep 1, 2009 1:34 AM
Thanks jjacques 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:53 AM
Fuyu delicious, and rel. pest free too!! zonkel 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:52 AM
Beautiful fall color doss 4 Aug 30, 2009 11:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America