Photo by Melody

Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods: Persimmon trees in Arizona

Communities > Forums > Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods
bookmark
Forum: Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the GodsReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sycamoreshirl
Cornville, AZ

January 7, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #4370599

Has anyone had success in gorwing persimmons in Northern Arizona? We are near Sedona on Oak Creek. It gets down to 12 degrees F in winter on our ranch and up to 108 in summer.
I'd love to have one of these, but am reluctant to try if it's like a cranberry or blueberry and cannot handle the intense heat. Any help here? Thanks-
Murrieta
Murrieta, CA

January 7, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4370698

I have an Asian persimmon, this year was the best producing year so far. I believe I'm in zone 8-9. More fruit than I can give away so I'm slicing the crisp fruit and drying, it's delicious dried ! Does anyone have tips on growing from seed ? I have many friends who would like to get a start from my wonderful tree.
Murrieta, CA
eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

August 31, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #7009102

I have a five year old American Persimmon thriving in Albuquerque. N.M. (Our temps are a little lower than yours but do go to 100 degrees). I gotta warn you though---it took me four tries to get the tree to "take." Bare root did NOT work. I finally got a potpacked one from Stark Bros. which I canned up in a five gallon pot and grew for a year in the pot before I transplanted it to a full sun location. The tree was very small when it arrived from Stark so the fact that it has a long taproot was not a problem in its interim pot.

The tree has not yet produced persimmons though it is supposed to be a variety which is self-fertile. sk

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great stuff! Candyce 14 Jan 7, 2008 10:24 AM
interested in buying persimmon plants/se batuksinh 3 Sep 1, 2009 1:34 AM
Thanks jjacques 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:53 AM
Fuyu delicious, and rel. pest free too!! zonkel 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:52 AM
Beautiful fall color doss 4 Aug 30, 2009 11:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America